Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 106 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigang:  9 mins ago
 VooDoo:  11 mins ago
 RobertB:  14 mins ago
 OlafS25:  39 mins ago
 Hypex:  57 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 21 mins ago
 amigakit:  5 hrs 53 mins ago
 Hammer:  6 hrs 43 mins ago
 Rob:  7 hrs 21 mins ago
 billt:  7 hrs 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  Poor Amiga
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
RoqueFort 
Poor Amiga
Posted on 31-Jan-2013 23:14:19
#1 ]
Elite Member

It's been more than 4 months since I sent my powerless A1200 to Amigakit...

I've spoken to them, they're very busy, working on other hardware jobs, even through the weekend! I feel sympathetic, but then I kind of feel like a sucker too!

Things like this give ammunition to PC-Losers who throw anti-Amiga stick at us whenever they can, like "Get rid of your Amiga! It's dead!" guess many of you have had that!

I accept Amigakit are the best at what they do, but I guess we should also accept they can be very slow!

Last edited by RoqueFort on 09-Apr-2013 at 11:54 PM.

Sex doesn't prove to me that sex doesn't suck.

Profile     Report this post  
A1200 
Re: Poor Amigakit, poor ME
Posted on 31-Jan-2013 23:41:53
#2 ]
Elite Member

@RoqueFort

They are busy people. It is a balance between staffing to a good level to maintain good customer service and not to have too many staff eating up the cashflow/profits in the quieter times.

I guess the nextgen stuff has them busy most of the time nowadays, but hopefully they can jump all over your beloved A1200 as soon as possible. I have mine up and running again now and am enjoying getting all the software installed and playing with it again.

Oh and sex sux!

RoqueFort 
Posted on 1-Feb-2013 0:01:55
#3 ]
Elite Member

@A1200

Yes, I accept, because Amigakit are good at what they do, everyone turns to them when they need to- that makes them victims of their own success!

I'm fairly sure it's only the power unit that has gone, so when they do get round to my machine, it probably won't take them long to fix!

Quote:

Oh and sex sux!

I reckon I would like it on the beach, my fantasy! You may have already done that, since you live in Lowestoft.

A1200 
Posted on 1-Feb-2013 0:10:04
#4 ]
Elite Member

@RoqueFort

:)

QuBe 
Posted on 1-Feb-2013 1:48:55
#5 ]

@RoqueFort

Keep the faith young RoqueFort... the force is strong with AmigaKit...

They will defend your Amiga with all the AmiSabres they have.

Q!

"i am home"

Last edited by QuBe on 01-Feb-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Rob 
Posted on 1-Feb-2013 2:31:14
#6 ]
Elite Member

@RoqueFort

Quote:
I reckon I would like it on the beach, my fantasy!

The sand could be a problem there.

If I wasn't skint I'd pop round Amigakit and check your system out myself.

Last edited by Rob on 01-Feb-2013 at 02:32 AM.

Simon 
Posted on 1-Feb-2013 11:34:29
#7 ]
Cult Member

I always have a spare motherboard for the A1200... just swap it and send the other one for repairs without downtime.

The Belgian Amiga Club on FACEBOOK !

The Belgian Amiga Club Website

Swoop 
Posted on 1-Feb-2013 14:25:26
#8 ]
Elite Member

@RoqueFort

Quote:
It's been more than 4 months since I sent my powerless A1200 to Amigakit...

Maybe giving them a ring, instead of posting here might be more productive.

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

RoqueFort 
Posted on 1-Feb-2013 15:35:45
#9 ]
Elite Member

@All

Oh dear, oh dear...

Amigakit finally got round to my A1200, and it turns out it's worse than I thought.

Not only has the PSU shorted, but the E-IDE99 has as well. Amigakit are awaiting some more of those, so they can't test my CD drive and zip until then.

They're afraid my PPC and SIMM are also damaged, I really hope they aren't as we all know how hard they are to come by!

At least this shows I made the right decision, to send the machine to Amigakit and not try to get it fixed in a PC shop!

realize 
Posted on 2-Feb-2013 0:12:36
#10 ]

@RoqueFort

Glad they got to your amiga. I think its only 1 or 2 techs there. Keep in mind any "amiga" business left is very small staffed. Poor FOL must see amigas in his sleep!

Sounds like alot went bad with your amiga did you have a PSU short that blew all that stuff? What happened? Well if anyone can sort it out they will!

BTW a pc shop wouldnt know wtf to do with your a1200!

RoqueFort 
Posted on 5-Apr-2013 3:07:09
#11 ]
Elite Member

2 months later...

Amigakit are still busy as usual, but I spoke to them again. Although the E-IDE99 is gone, they managed to boot my A1200 HD directly from the motherboard, which is working fine.

Since AmigaOS 3.x needs 4MB to run, I assume they needed to install an accelerator card to test it, as I didn't send them the PPC. Presumably, one of their ACA boards?

Think I'd like to buy an ACA 12x0 board as a backup, whether my PPC survived or not, so can anyone point me towards some independent reviews of them? I'd like to know how one compares to a classic '040.

Sorry if the ACA boards have already been extensively covered on AW.net!

fishy_fis 
Posted on 5-Apr-2013 17:04:48
#12 ]
Elite Member

Seven months is simply unacceptable. Personally I'd be more than a little peeved by now.
Just because theyre one of the few remaining amiga shops around doesnt (or shouldnt) give them free reign on your equipment.
Id get my gear back and get it fixed elsewhere. They clearly dont value your business enough to deserve it. Seven freaking months. That's crazy.
People will walk all over a person if given the opportunity. I mean no offense to you, but it appears you've given them free reign to treat you with no regard.

Dont feel bad for them. You're not friends and theyre not doing you a favor. Youre a paying customer. You deserve better treatment for the business youre giving them.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 05-Apr-2013 at 05:08 PM.

CritAnime 
Posted on 5-Apr-2013 17:08:38
#13 ]
Cult Member

@fishy_fis

I sent something in last year and kept getting told they were busy and stuff. In the end I pestered every day by phone until they sorted it. It was nothing major, just a replacement item. But it got to nearly a month and a half and I wanted the replacement. They were nice enough and apologetic. I would still order bits from them but only cheap bits.

Last edited by CritAnime on 05-Apr-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

RoqueFort 
Posted on 7-Apr-2013 0:15:16
#14 ]
Elite Member

Well... I certainly do feel like I'm being treated like that, but I don't have the option of getting it fixed elsewhere; there almost is no elsewhere!

Amigakit were the best, very thorough in their work, but that means everyone relied on them and they've become a victim of their own success! They're bogged down with work and so are very, very slow, and so not the best any more!

If you think you CAN find me a better co. to fix it, please tell me!

BigD 
Posted on 8-Apr-2013 19:34:41
#15 ]
Elite Member

@RoqueFort

Quote:
If you think you CAN find me a better co. to fix it, please tell me!

Other than AmigaKit there's JJB at the Amiga Repair Center France who helped replace faulty capacitors for me a couple of years ago. There is also Analogic. They replaced some CIA chips for me about 4 years ago.

A1200 
Posted on 8-Apr-2013 19:50:51
#16 ]
Elite Member

@RoqueFort

It does seem to be taking some time. From my perspective, if I were them I would try all the parts of the system and offer to sell you replacements to get you up and running again, save for the PPC board which I would quote you a price for repair (if indeed it is damaged, I guess you still don't know!) That process shouldn't take more than a few hours at best unless any potential sale from that isn't worth their time (in which case why have they got the machine in the first place?!)

Amigakit have always been really good to me in all the years I have dealt with them, so something isn't right here, I hope being as you complained publicly, you would like them to reply publicly warts and all (i.e. their side of things regardless of your opinion of the situation). This thread doesn't put them in the best light and I hope Matthew or someone from Amigakit will jump on it to sort the issue. After all, they often jump on threads to offer products to users needing x or y solution(s).

Perhaps they are too busy batting away emails from those pesky X1000 wannabe's! Forget the nextgen stuff Amigkit, we will all still be using our doorstops way after they curtain goes down on Netgen (better say just kidding for those looking for an argument!) Just Kidding!

wawa 
Posted on 8-Apr-2013 19:59:48
#17 ]
Elite Member

@RoqueFort

so is it determined that it is a1200 itself (motherboard)? because wouldnt it pay òff better just to buy a replacement than bothering to repair it? i dont think they cost much, at least probably less than all the trouble fixing.

you are located in britain? then, if you insist on repairing, i would post a request on a1k.org, international section. there are some people who still can fix amiga hardware, in particular one member, nich of "botfixer". he is dependable and professional, i have one a4k motherboard and a cv64 reworked by him. im not sure if there is much other choice.

Last edited by wawa on 08-Apr-2013 at 08:00 PM.

ddni 
Posted on 8-Apr-2013 20:56:05
#18 ]
Cult Member

@RoqueFort

Avoid Analogic! There have been too many cases of people not getting their stuff back.
IIRC they haven't done any Amiga stuff for years either. (apart from selling CD32 Floppy drives on ebay).

amigakit 
Posted on 8-Apr-2013 21:14:18
#19 ]
Amiga Kit

Although disappointing to see this thread, we are currently working on the customer's repair and have been recently communicating with the customer through our Support Ticket system.

We informed the customer clearly before hand that we couldn't work on the repair in the short term due to us moving our entire repair workshop premises and commitments to other customer repairs. Despite this, the customer was happy to send us the Amiga for repair. Once we started to diagnose the problem, parts were required which were out of stock which contributed to the delay.

To date, we have had no telephone calls from the customer and no messages of discontent on the Support Ticket- so this thread is a surprising contrast to the feedback we have received from the customer.

It has been a sizable, and at times challenging task, to relocate our technical repairs workshop and operations to a newly refurbished building whilst maintaining our service levels and commitments over the last 6 months. Happily the bulk of the building refurbishment is now complete and our operations are settling to normality.

Last edited by amigakit on 08-Apr-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Last edited by amigakit on 08-Apr-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Rob 
Posted on 8-Apr-2013 21:29:43
#20 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

I got the impression that Roquefort was largely happy with the service received and found the reasons for delay to be acceptable. I think it was mainly other people suggesting that he shouldn't be happy, hopefully your post has cleared things up for them.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle