Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 92 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  14 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  18 mins ago
 VooDoo:  23 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 miggymac:  2 hrs ago
 Dragster:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 14 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  3 hrs 47 mins ago
 matthey:  5 hrs 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga PPC Linux
      /  MOL on AmigaOne
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
scabit 
Re: MOL on AmigaOne
Posted on 27-Apr-2014 18:24:25
#61 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
First, the 8GB limit. This is an old one. My Mac volume sits 40GB into the drive. It's only 5GB big, 10GB is best, like Linux.

Whoa! Now I'm lost. Its not an 8 Gig size limit he was talking about, but the fact that the OSX volume you want to install to must be within the first 8 Gig of the hard drive you use. From what you say above, that it NOT the case...so if your Mac OSX system is working as you described it sitting 40G into the drive, then I can ignore this as a potential problem.

Are you saying that there is an 8 Gig size limit on OS10.4 Tiger partitions? I find that difficult to believe....

I did run molvconfig...no problems setting up my video modes.

Yes, altivec is set to "disable altivec yes"

When I check my free memory in Debian Lenny, with nothing else running, I have about 243 meg free. since I don't want to use swapping in linux and slow things down, I set my molrc.osx memory value to 128 ... 128 meg should work fine according to all the literature.

I set up my hard drive partition as you specified in one of the threads (First DebianEtch Release...I think). It does get recognized. In fact, I used the pulldown menu once I got into the MAC installer (after 20+ minutes) and erased the data on that partition to ensure it would be formatted as a MAC drive. After that the OSX installer sees it and allows me to select it as my destination drive for the install. Once I do that though...nothing happens.....

The tutorials for setting up MOL are based on Ubuntu, and I have read them, but don;t see any valid ideas that apply to my situation.

I never even get as far as seeing the progress indicators shown in the nice pictures in the post above....

One monkey wrench I want to add.....this Lenny partition I am attempting to boot MOL from is Mint 8. Not sure if it is using KVM or what .....

Scott

Last edited by scabit on 27-Apr-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
xeno74 
Posted on 27-Apr-2014 18:32:14
#62 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

I have set up an env variable "export CFLAGS=-m32" and the binaries are in 32-bit.

scabit 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 13:14:35
#63 ]

@Hypex

Still getting nowhere on installing MAC OSX Tiger using MOL.

I was wondering about this:

Starting MOL session 1
Unknown processor id (70000202).

I noticed that when anyone else posts their output of MOL, this never appears. For me, it never fails to appear. How do I fix this? I also started getting a message that says something about the cpu id file does not exist in Debian, don't recall the subdirectory. Isn't his a Debian install issue then with the kernel?

Also, after I do a dpkg --install of the kmods for MOL, then run MOL and have it fail out, every time after that I get an erorr indicating that one of the network files is missing from the kernel directory, it is file .0...sorry, don't remember the filename. Every time this happens MOL locks up before I can get to the point of even trying to install.
What I have to do to fix it is to do another dpkg --install of the MOL kmod files.

I'm sure nobody else is having that problem that I've heard of!

So two issues before it even gets to the installer:

1) cpu type is unknown
2) network does not work

How do I solve these?

Thanks,

Scott

xeno74 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 14:53:44
#64 ]
Cult Member

I have figured out, that there is a verbose mode. I have activated it in the molrc.osx.

Quote:

cmdline "-v"

I have started 2 MOL sessions. The first with Jaguar and the second with Tiger. Unfortunately, both aren't booting to the end.

Both are running in the G3 mode.

molrc.osx:

Quote:

processor: G3

Hypex 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 15:26:48
#65 ]
Elite Member

@xeno74

Okay. I know 10.3 works and 10.4 does work off CD. For me it fails on DVD as per my thread linked.

I don't know if 10.5 can work as it has an x86 boot volume on it as well but in theory it should boot from it.

I also see in your logs that MOL extensions fail alongside other things in a previous log like ip_tables. I wonder if these are causing a problem? Apart from that it looked like it was detecting your CD drive through SCSI emulation.

Last edited by Hypex on 28-Apr-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 16:03:22
#66 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
From what you say above, that it NOT the case...

It's not in new versions. like you are testing. IIRC, it only effects builds before mol-0.9.72. But there was a limit on older versions.

Looks iike Apple had 1-bit better than AmigaOS by being only limited to the first 8GB of disk.

Quote:
Are you saying that there is an 8 Gig size limit on OS10.4 Tiger partitions?

No. That would be small!

Quote:
128 meg should work fine according to all the literature.

According top this it needsa 256MB:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1514

I have read 128MB can work but for all intensive purposes this is in an emulated enviroment so giving it 256MB of real ram could make a real difference.

You may need to switch on some swap space or buy some more ram.

Quote:
I never even get as far as seeing the progress indicators shown in the nice pictures in the post above....

Is there drive activity when this happens? I have seen a MOL screen corrupt easily. It tends to when it can't boot off a HD or there is a problem.

But if it boots for you and it is into the installer then you should see a progress "flower" turning as it loads.

I did notice, before you cleaned up the drive settings, by setting up your OSX volume, that the /dev/cdrom CD device fails. But SCSI emulation picked up your CD drive.

Perhaps for now cancel the SCSI probing and set up your CD device directly as a CD block device in config. Use the one it found as CD or try blkid in a shell to find it.

Also, as MOL is quite low level, try logging in as root and running it in root mode.

Quote:
How do I fix this?

I don't recall seeing this missing CPU ID. I wonder if it is limited to this version of MOL. So, off hand I don't know nor if it breaks MOL.

Quote:
Isn't his a Debian install issue then with the kernel?

Sounds like it could be. Did Geri miss one? A Google might reveal it.

Quote:
How do I solve these?

Hoe do you know the network doen't work if you can't test it?

It's not ip_tables is it? I don't recall seeing these specific problems. But perhaps you could try a test. The MOL kernel modules have the version in the name so multuple ones installed should be no problem like with kernel modules. Try booting from the older 2.6.18 kernel along with the older MOL 2.6.18 modules. And see if the problems recur.

In the meantime I will download the later 2.6.18-6 kernel and MOL and test if it works as it should.

Last edited by Hypex on 28-Apr-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Last edited by Hypex on 28-Apr-2014 at 04:19 PM.

scabit 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 17:07:52
#67 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
I have read 128MB can work but for all intensive purposes this is in an emulated enviroment so giving it 256MB of real ram could make a real difference.

You may need to switch on some swap space or buy some more ram.

Well, one question is why is Lenny using more than half of my 512M of RAM with nothing running? There is no option for me to get 1G or 2G in my microA1...nobody makes it. Using SWAP space slows things down, and should be working in Debian anyway.
I DID try setting it to 256M RAM, it made no difference in speed.

As for the network issues, I suspect that even before the installer starts, it goes and tries to look at the validity of your CD or DVD on the network. Sort of how the Debian installer wants to use network access to install...but at least gives you a choice. Any time the MOL kmod file for the network fails (is missing), I never get to the installer no matter how long I wait.

One time, after doing a dpkg --install and depmod, running movconfig again, then running startmol -X --cdboot it got to the installer AND STARTED INSTALLING OSX on my hard drive! I had chosen minimal install, so it would have taken only 2 Gigabytes. It got about half through and told me there was a problem accessing the "cd", and my only selectable option was "restart" which rebooted the microA1.

Also, I once went into the system information tool from the pulldown menu during an install and was able to look at various items such as USB and disk configuration, but when I pressed "Firewire" my microA1 locked up. So apprently MOL does not really fake or block commands to firewire, which my microA1 certainly doesn't have.

Can I copy the OSX DVD to a USB stick and install it from there? How would I go about formatting a usb stick to be HFS or whatever is necessary for it to be identified as a valid MAC OS partition?

Oh, also, setting the dvd drive name in the molrc.osx file (I think it is sg1), causes it to fail every time. Only if I leave it invalid and let MOL find it will it have any chance to try installing from the DVD.

I'll get you more details when I get home, especially about the cpu id file and the missing network file.

One question...how can I unload programs or stop processes legally in Debian Lenny? apparently I have about 260Meg of stuff running when I boot into Lenny....my total memory shows correctly as 512M, but available shows me 243M or so. What is using up so much memory when I have no programs running?

Scott

scabit 
Posted on 29-Apr-2014 12:08:27
#68 ]

@Hypex

Here are some details about the errors I am getting:

1) the network error shows:

kernel module /usr/lib/mol/0.9.73/modules/2.6.18-6-book3s-amigaone/tun.0 appears to be missing

2) the cpu error

unable to open /proc/device-tree/cpus/

and when I go look, this folder /proc/device-tree doesn't even exist

Also, by not logging into Mint but doing a CTRL-Alt-F1 and logging into the shell with su priviledges, I do have more than 256 meg free and can run mol without memory errors as happens when I only have 243 meg free and try to run it set to use 256 meg. It behaves exactly the same as when i run it with 128 Meg, it takes 20 minutes to get to the swirly icon showing me there is disk activity, and when I try to install, I get errors.

Note - I erased my sda14 partition after I boot into mol (wait 20 minutes) and go to disk tools. Then, if i go to debian and try to mount it, I get errors when i use:
mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda14 /MACOS
where MACOS is a directory in my root. It starts to mount then tells me the partition has errors.

Also, when I do get to the point of selecting the install to start the OSX installation, I get

"There were errors installing the software. Please try installing again." and the only selectable button is RESTART.

I have also reinstalled the MOL and MOL kmod deb files, just in case. No difference.

It seems to me this version of MOL does not understand hard drive I/O for some reason.

So again, how do I mount and format a usbstick in Debian so I can copy the DVD to it and try installing from there.....aha! it just occurred to me, if i can add to my molrc.osx config file some way to mount that device then go into disktools and format it, then copy everything over from the dvd....hmmmmmm....

Scott

Hypex 
Posted on 29-Apr-2014 16:42:12
#69 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
Well, one question is why is Lenny using more than half of my 512M of RAM with nothing running?

Probably for the same reason OS4 refused to boot with 128MB on my A1 once. I suppose that is what the OS needs to run. Which includes a lot once it boots. But here's a question, are you running with a desktop or a plain terminal? A desktop will suck resources. If so, you could try a less expensive desktop system, or kill the X server and run from terminal.

Quote:
There is no option for me to get 1G or 2G in my microA1...nobody makes it.

Is it that laptop RAM? I would have thought by now there would have been some.

Quote:
Using SWAP space slows things down, and should be working in Debian anyway.

Well Linux does depend on swap in low memory conditions. The instaler does warn against not using it.

Quote:
I DID try setting it to 256M RAM, it made no difference in speed.

SWAP or Mac RAM? Speed will affect it but the intention is getting MOL to work

Quote:
I suspect that even before the installer starts, it goes and tries to look at the validity of your CD or DVD on the network.

I'm not aware of this. When I ran a check it was done in the OSX instlaler itself. But for the installer to check online, it needs the network up and to know what your settings are. Which it doesn't.

Quote:
It got about half through and told me there was a problem accessing the "cd", and my only selectable option was "restart" which rebooted the microA1.

Tried turning off DMA for CD?

Quote:
Can I copy the OSX DVD to a USB stick and install it from there?

In theory yes. Don't worry about formating and copying. Just copy the OSX disc image directly onto your USB stick. Locate the block device, blkid should do it. And enter this as a HD partition in the OSX config. As hinted to in my thread you can also boot the OSX install disc from a HD partition. It should work the same for USB. There should be a Debian Disk Utility or similar to help.

Quote:
Oh, also, setting the dvd drive name in the molrc.osx file (I think it is sg1), causes it to fail every time.

That's strange. a "/dev/sg1" should have worked just as well. In any case looks like I use "/dev/cdrom" and SCSI auto probe. Don't know why "/dev/cdrom" was breaking on your system.

Quote:
What is using up so much memory when I have no programs running?

Enter top in a shell. You can use a kill command to unioad but you need the PID. If you have a desktop Ctrl-Alt-Backspace may be easier.

Memory is why PegXMac was invented, well it takes up less. Helps.

I installed the 2.6.18-6 kernel and new MOL to test. I suspect it has broken something as OSX keeps thinking. Comparisons below.

Quote:
1) the network error shows:

This is not good. Mine is fine. BTW in that folder I have only sheep.ko and mol.ko.

You should have a tun in /dev/net. If not check the MOL net config file for how to. And also you may need to install dnsmasq with apt-get. Think that was it. I got clues from Ubuntu guide.

Quote:
2) the cpu error

I get the sane.

Quote:
It behaves exactly the same as when i run it with 128 Meg, it takes 20 minutes to get to the swirly icon showing me there is disk activity

Here it booted off CD fine. But aren't you using SATA? How ever I did try to goto Disk Utility and it just kept thinking in rainbows. This was a 10.3 CD BTW.

Quote:
It starts to mount then tells me the partition has errors.

Was this after you quit MOL? If not there's your answer.

Quote:
It seems to me this version of MOL does not understand hard drive I/O for some reason.

That 2.6.18-6 kernel rather old, by kernel years and I suspect it may have DMA trouble or SATA issues. Perhaps a libata.dma=0 may be good to test in the boot args.

amigadave 
Posted on 30-Apr-2014 3:13:18
#70 ]

Forgive me for not having the time to thoroughly read every post in this thread (I have skimmed through them, but probably have missed some info), but can any of you tell me if any X1000 owners have successfully gotten MoL running on their systems?

I have a few real Mac systems here, including fast G4 PowerMac & PowerBook, and a really fast Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac, to run OSX 10.5.8, but it might be interesting or convenient to also run MoL on my X1000 someday, if it can be done, and it runs at a decent speed.

xeno74 
Posted on 30-Apr-2014 10:00:05
#71 ]
Cult Member

Hi Amigadave,

Please look in the following thread:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/kvm-ppc/msg08828.html.

scabit 
Posted on 30-Apr-2014 13:42:00
#72 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
Is it that laptop RAM? I would have thought by now there would have been some.

Never seen 1 or 2 GIG modules that work in the Micro A1. Let me know if anyone finds such a thing.

Quote:
SWAP or Mac RAM? Speed will affect it but the intention is getting MOL to work

Mac RAM. When I just do CTRL-ALT-F1 and use the existing shell instead of logging into Lenny which opens GNOME, I have enough memory free as a single block (I check with the free -m command in Debian) to be able to use 256M in the molrc.osx file. As I said, doesn't seem to make any difference.

Quote:
Tried turning off DMA for CD?

Hmmmm..does that work in kernel 2.6.18 in the boot args? And does it work with SATA? the nodma command? I can try it, I have tried both with and without the cpu cache - made no difference. Whats the sytax again, just add the text "nodma" to the bootargs, or is it "nodma = 1"? Been too long since I tried it.
I seem to recall seeing somewhere as I was running MOL that it showed me that it was accessing my SATA DVD at 100 mb/s.
And yes, reading the data from the DVD seems to be the problem for some reason, although it may also be an issue writing data to the hard drive. The furthest I got in MOL left me with a couple of directories on the destination partition, but was only half done.

Quote:
Don't worry about formating and copying. Just copy the OSX disc image directly onto your USB stick.

I scratch my head here..... I have a DVD, so are you saying just mount sg1 and my DVD drive, then do a linux cp /SRC/* /DST/ to copy everything to the usb stick? Then add to molrc.osx an entry for the usb stick so it will been seen in MOL?
I can try that, might take a month to copy so much data from a DVD to a USB1 stick!

Quote:
I installed the 2.6.18-6 kernel and new MOL to test. I suspect it has broken something as OSX keeps thinking. Comparisons below.

Isn't that the version I am using? I got my copies from the link Geri pointed to in the 3rd or 4th post on this thread.

Well, one thing about MOL...it makes installing Debian look relatively easy!

Scott

Last edited by scabit on 30-Apr-2014 at 01:43 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 30-Apr-2014 15:59:21
#73 ]
Elite Member

@xeno74

This also looks good:
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2425&p=27161#p27161

But then Sollie cut you off only after 4 posts. It's not Amiga-on-Linux!

Did it get to boot or did you come here after that?

Hypex 
Posted on 30-Apr-2014 16:07:23
#74 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

I forgot this:

Quote:
It got about half through and told me there was a problem accessing the "cd", and my only selectable option was "restart" which rebooted the microA1.

This doesn't sound right. Only MOL should be affected. A restart in MOL usually exits it. The host machinre should not be effected.

Quote:
Hmmmm..does that work in kernel 2.6.18 in the boot args?

Looks like it is "ide=ndma" that you want. But I don't see SATA mentioned, It should be covered under ATA where IDE sits.

http://redsymbol.net/linux-kernel-boot-parameters/2.6.18/

Quote:
The furthest I got in MOL left me with a couple of directories on the destination partition, but was only half done.

I haven't yet tried tried to reinsall OSX. But it isn't a good sign. The instlaller can see my volume and gives the "Green light" but the Disk Utility crashes and trying to view the log (from last menu) freezes my A1!

Think I might have to take this MOL back to Geri and get him to compile a new one. The older one on the older kernel worked better for me!

Quote:
I scratch my head here..... I have a DVD, so are you saying just mount sg1 and my DVD drive, then do a linux cp /SRC/* /DST/ to copy everything to the usb stick?

Sorry no. I was saying to directly copy the disc image from the DVD onto the USB stick. So not copying files but copying the raw data from one to the other. IOW a dd type copy. RawDisk in OS4 should work. (But I can never figure it out.) Linux should have some disk tool to read an image from a drive and write it somewhere. You will need to copy from the DVD block device to the USB block device. So the USB drive should be unmounted first before destroying it.

Then enter the USB block device into the MOL config as a HD with boot option. Could also try to specify as CD if it works.

OTOH you could try formatting a USB stick as HFS and copy the flles across. But I don't know if the disk format is exact and you will incur overhead by using a filesystem. So imaging directly from DVD to USB is best.

You could also use another HD partition to image it to.

Quote:
Isn't that the version I am using?

It is. BTW I foound I got the network error as well. But when I reloaded it was gone.

Seems to be related to a non-bootable config. Well I got it when it wouldn't boot. For some reason it will only boot off my second DVD drive. It screws up when both are marked ${cdboot}.

BTW I specified my CD drives which sit from /dev/cdrom. And SCSI probing enabled.

Quote:
Well, one thing about MOL...it makes installing Debian look relatively easy!

Especially since I updated my installer which now can actually work!

Provided you have working boot volume. Same link.

Last edited by Hypex on 30-Apr-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Last edited by Hypex on 30-Apr-2014 at 04:36 PM.

xeno74 
Posted on 30-Apr-2014 16:30:50
#75 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Unfortunately, Jaguar, Panther, and Tiger aren't booting to the end. I try to figure out what's going wrong.

Alex the author of MOL/KVM told me I shall have a look to the patches.

Quote:
Not sure what's going wrong here. Maybe the MOL patchery to circumvent split real mode doesn't work? Maybe there's something not working with the dcbz32 patchery? You could try to trace the guest through /sys/kernel/debug/tracing and see where it's stuck. You can also tell XNU to be more verbose by passing in a debug= parameter - though I don't remember the exact syntax anymore. SMP should be fine. The reason XNU doesn't work with QEMU + KVM is split real mode. We don't emulate that one properly in KVM yet.

Alex

realize 
Posted on 1-May-2014 3:04:32
#76 ]

@scabit

Did you read the MOL documentation? I remember this first 8gb being very important. I did many MOL installs 6-7 yrs ago. Also the MOL mailing lists helped.

Did you try to find Kurt Grach? He has prebuilt installable MOL for A1 xe like I said in my earlier post. Save yourself the headaches man MOL can be a real PITA if you dont know what you're doing.

scabit 
Posted on 2-May-2014 13:04:26
#77 ]

@realize

Quote:
Did you read the MOL documentation? I remember this first 8gb being very important.

Yes. I also read the thread Hypex pointed to early on in this thread about his experiences with MOL and saw that the new versions do NOT have the 8 Gig limitation... Is that correct Hypex?

Scott

Hypex 
Posted on 2-May-2014 13:21:23
#78 ]
Elite Member

@realize

That 8GB limit is an old restriction removed in modern MoL build like we are testing. It should even be fixed in 0.9.72.

One problem we have is that we only have a working version for 2.6.18 kernel. I think this is too old. Even the newest 2.6.18-6 presents problems. For example I am getting crashes in OSX I got four years ago! The same ones trying to install off CD or DVD. There is some issue with IO that goes wrong. I found I can't install off CD/DVD but had to image the installer disk to a HD partition for it to work.

The prebuilt MoL, that's not PegXMac? I'm not aware of any other A1 custom installers.

Hypex 
Posted on 2-May-2014 15:55:24
#79 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Correct.

I just did some experimenting. I found MoL has a major problem with DMA and it only begins there. I added "ide=nodma" to my boot args which are acknowledged but upon lookiing my drives still have DMA activated. Bug in there somewhere.

With DMA on the HD Disk Utility crashes. Turned it off the CD and Disk Utility endlessly does ranbow thinking. Tunned it off all and Disk Utility can read the disk! But, I tried to install, and it eventually reported a problem. This is with a 10.4 DVD.

It's almost to much to bare! I've got this working before so I don't know why Mol on the AmigaOne is so buggy! Of course we really need a newer version, one for every kernel ever compiled. I think I will need to go back to my older 2.6.18 and downgrade my Mol with it. At least that used to work!

BTW I used hdparm to turn off DMA.

Query: hdparm /dev/drive
DMA off: hdparn -d0 /dev/drive

realize 
Posted on 2-May-2014 23:17:03
#80 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
I found MoL has a major problem with DMA and it only begins there. I added "ide=nodma" to my boot args which are acknowledged but upon lookiing my drives still have DMA activated. Bug in there somewhere.

I have UDMA working fine on my peg2 its NOT MOL. Its your Amiga One (Teron) board that is having problems with DMA.

@Scabit

have you or anyone else tried to find this version that Kurt Grach from Long Island User group distributed with A1s from Mr hardware computers?

@ thread

btw guys for A1 purposed 2.4 kernel and kernel mods for mol are fine no need to have to hack latest kernels and manuals compile mods.

Last edited by realize on 02-May-2014 at 11:20 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle