Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 125 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Birbo:  7 mins ago
 pixie:  14 mins ago
 Hammer:  15 mins ago
 zipper:  42 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 MarcioD:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 17 mins ago
 NancyNash:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 1 min ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
PosterThread
resle 
Re: OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 16:46:13
#221 ]
Cult Member

@Boot_WB

I also agree with you.
I didn't add anything for what concerns amiga-like OSes because it's a chapter in its own.

My very very personal point of view would be that AROS should be the way to go. I keep seeing it as what OSX was to System 9. Keeps the compatibility with legacy software through a dedicated layer, but everything else is re-architected from scratch. The key uniquenesses of AmigaOS are preserved, and the feeling is close.

If nothing else, it's the most open choice there is. The hardware, the availability of sources, the kickstart replacements. Everything is in place already..

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 16:47:04
#222 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

it is nice that you are a kind person and have misery with other people but Amiga Inc. do not deserve that. They lied and cheated in the past and at least sometimes people get that they deserve. They were not interested in the community or to get something back on road but only making the quick buck (as long as it was possible). Now obviously they have reached the end of the road. Misery or being loyal to them is completely unnecessary.

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 16:51:38
#223 ]
Elite Member

@resle

+1

The problem is many in the community are very loyal to their choice (expecially the AmigaOS fans) so even if there would be new Super-Aros with 64bit, SMP, MP and everything people dreamed of they would still find excuses/reasons why they should stay with AmigaOS. So the chances are far better outside the community if the first ARM distribution and native ARM versions (f.e. Raspberry) are available.

pavlor 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 16:52:10
#224 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Quote:
Non sequitur - they don't have the right to the Amiga brand remember.

AmigaOne is Amiga brand. Back in early 2000s it was intended to rebirth Amiga desktop platform.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 16:54:14
#225 ]

Quote:
Bill doesn't like Ben anymore, and might well be open to the idea for a fee. $1200 + 5% as a goodwill gesture might sound quite attractive to free up an imprisoned brand name, enough to choose not to sue over the Amiga part anyway.

Hell, to be double-sure we could co-operate with Amiga Inc and get them to create the Amiga2.0 TM to license out. I'm confident that they won't sue themselves.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 16:56:08
#226 ]

@pavlor

Quote:
@Boot_WB

Quote:
Quote:
Non sequitur - they don't have the right to the Amiga brand remember.

AmigaOne is Amiga brand. Back in early 2000s it was intended to rebirth Amiga desktop platform.

No, they are entirely two seperate trademarks. Amiga Inc and Hyperion are both AmgiaOne partners, but that is all.

Your premise would lead to the conclusion that PowerPC is IBM brand.
It is not, nor is it AN IBM brand, and nor is IBM a PowerPC brand.

Freescale don't have the right to brand their PowerPC products IBM any more than Hyperion can brand their AmigaOne hardware Amiga.

Last edited by Boot_WB on 25-Jun-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Last edited by Boot_WB on 25-Jun-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Last edited by Boot_WB on 25-Jun-2013 at 04:58 PM.

pavlor 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 16:59:34
#227 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
Misery or being loyal to them is completely unnecessary.

Once loyal, always loyal. That I call loyalty.

Do you remember what happened in 1999? Cancellation of AmigaNG and Amiga platform buried by Gateway2000? It was Bill McEwen who bought Amiga, gave us new hope... and then failed miserably. Without him, there probably wouldn´t be new AmigaOS with Amiga branded hardware.

pavlor 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 17:01:43
#228 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Quote:
No, they are entirely two seperate trademarks. Amiga Inc and Hyperion are both AmgiaOne partners, but that is all.

AmigaOne is brand created by Amiga.Inc to market new Amiga desktop platform. So it is Amiga brand.

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 17:08:10
#229 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

No I was at that time at the dark side (PC + Windows)

I do not know when MorphOS started but at least AROS was already in development. So instead 4 camps we would (perhaps) have only two with 68k and AROS (a lot less complicated). You could also say without this new hope the community would not exist anymore on the other hand both Atari ST and C64 communities also exist up to today (without any new OS). But that is all speculation.

And was not he the one who laid the foundations for the long enduring red versus blue war?

I do not think that anyone has to be grateful to him. They have earned money for a long time with it and also damaged the platform.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 17:10:05
#230 ]

@resle

Quote:

resle wrote:
@Boot_WB
My very very personal point of view would be that AROS should be the way to go. I keep seeing it as what OSX was to System 9. Keeps the compatibility with legacy software through a dedicated layer, but everything else is re-architected from scratch. The key uniquenesses of AmigaOS are preserved, and the feeling is close.

If nothing else, it's the most open choice there is. The hardware, the availability of sources, the kickstart replacements. Everything is in place already..

It's been a few years since I last tried it out, so it might be 'there' by now.
I like that AROS is there, and if all else closed-source fails AROS will always be there to go on, but like anything once you find a flavour that 'works for you' anything else just isn't quite right.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 17:11:34
#231 ]

@pavlor

Sorry Pavlor, I edited my post as you were replying to it:

Quote:
Your premise would lead to the conclusion that PowerPC is IBM brand.
It is not, nor is it AN IBM brand, and nor is IBM a PowerPC brand.

Freescale don't have the right to brand their PowerPC products IBM any more than Hyperion can brand their AmigaOne hardware Amiga.

Last edited by Boot_WB on 25-Jun-2013 at 05:12 PM.

number6 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 17:12:37
#232 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Quote:
Amiga Inc and Hyperion are both AmgiaOne partners, but that is all.

Not to get technical but Hyperion VOF and Eyetech were the "AmigaOne Partners".

When Garry Hare of KMOS at the time mentioned relationships he even put the word "partners" IN quotes to differentiate I believe.

Anyway, that whole thing was ridiculous since Amiga Inc. had never even seen the hardware they so-call "approved".

Boot_WB 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 17:16:22
#233 ]

@number6

Ah, thanks for the clarification on that one.

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on Amiga2.0 .

pavlor 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 17:17:58
#234 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
No I was at that time at the dark side (PC + Windows)

It´s always good to see fresh face.

Quote:
I do not know when MorphOS started but at least AROS was already in development. So instead 4 camps we would (perhaps) have only two with 68k and AROS (a lot less complicated).

AROS on no name PC and MorphOS on Apple hardware. AmigaOS on AmigaOne sounds much better to my ears.

Quote:
I do not think that anyone has to be grateful to him. They have earned money for a long time with it and also damaged the platform.

It is ironic that most hated incarnation of Amiga.Inc created most successful Amiga product since fall of Commodore: AmigaOne. Name 13 years in use, 5 motherboards. nearly a miracle in the world of Amiga.

number6 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 17:23:44
#235 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

To further substantiate, it's in the legal docs.

And if you check the wiki it says "AmigaOne partnership between Eyetech, Hyperion Entertainment and Amiga Inc."

Just goes to show how wording can make a difference.
"AmigaOne partnership" vs "AmigaOne Partners".

Quote:
'd be interested to know your thoughts on Amiga2.0.

Thanks for your interest, but I have no comment. Even debating starts with facts, and we've run short of anything here except parent company propaganda to protect each companies' interests in their small corner of the world.
No blame assigned, since this is what to expect in the real world as well.

Last edited by number6 on 25-Jun-2013 at 05:28 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 17:27:57
#236 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

I will not persuade you (I know)

it "sounds" like you said. Technical your AmigaONE is almost identical to the "No name" PC except it uses PPC and is much much more expensive and worse in what it offers. Hardly convincing people to buy.

pavlor 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 17:32:46
#237 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
Technical your AmigaONE is almost identical to the "No name" PC except it uses PPC and is much much more expensive and worse in what it offers. Hardly convincing people to buy.

From pure technical point of view, Amiga hardware was outdated and overpriced even in 1992.

Name and AmigaOS source code continuity. That is all what left from once great Amiga platform.

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 17:45:07
#238 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

the software is the heritage of the great amiga platform and the API/concepts (not old 68k sources). That is my view.

pavlor 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 17:50:03
#239 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
the software is the heritage of the great amiga platform and the API/concepts (not old 68k sources). That is my view.

What would be Amiga without soul and name? Lost among other other minor platforms - BeOS, Haiku, ReactOS, Syllable, MorphOS, AROS, RiscOS, MiNT. Why look for alternatives, if you can use original?

vox 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 17:53:51
#240 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:
Same people (man...) were at birth of AmigaOne and AmigaOS 4 more than 10 years ago. Yes, it is hard to support someone who lied too much (like they), but I wouldn´t be loyal Amiga user, if I abandon them in time when they are so helpless.

Some of the people not all, but as we do know today, haven`t invested in OS 4 development, failed to do some really AmigaObjects/TAO big OS (what a fake AA is ...), in the end tried to get OS4 for themselves, selling Amiga name license to C=USA only out of all that have contacted em ....

Loyality easily lost, even I liked them in early 2000s.

They have made themselves cornered.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle