Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 119 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Troels

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Troels:  12 secs ago
 Gunnar:  15 mins ago
 Rob:  20 mins ago
 zipper:  44 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 Comi:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 vox:  3 hrs 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
PosterThread
wawa 
Re: OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 23:04:57
#361 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaMac

cant you make up your mind yourself? who you expect to enlighten you? me, or some other forum troll?

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 23:15:48
#362 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:
@thread LONG new posting: http://www.os4online.com/

according to what he writes, if they succeed, soon it will be even more difficult to explain to anyone what is "amiga" and what is not.

good thing for those that never gave a damn, but there might be slight problem for name followers. good thing im off that clinch with aros ;)

Last edited by wawa on 26-Jun-2013 at 11:16 PM.

terminills 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 23:20:06
#363 ]
AROS Core Developer

@wawa

Quote:
me, or some other forum troll?

AHA!!! So you admit you're a forum troll!

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

wawa 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 23:49:49
#364 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

you cant just come here and say "hey, im a troll! hail me!". you have to be nominated. and ive been. see the whole bunch of my abuse reports.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 0:06:11
#365 ]

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@thread

LONG new posting:

http://www.os4online.com/

A fair appraisal of the state of things, although the diplomatic language and carefully thought out position indicates that this has been in the planning for a long while. You don't write something that finely balanced to not offend any part of the Amiga community off-the-cuff.

imho:
A multi-platfiorm (including x86, ARM, PPC) Amiga hardware brand bound together with a common -marketable- primary Linux OS, possibly overlapping (esp in PPC) with products coincidentally supported by AROS/MorphOS/AmigaOS, is a hell of a lot stronger marketing position for all the 'camps' than the current state, and especially for any future (more mass-produceable) A-Eon products which could through this route be marketed with both the 'Amiga' name and AmigaOS (should Ben choose to play ball).
It's not like they'd be using the name 'Amiga' to market hardware sold with an OS with a similar architecture, since Linux OS4 on the 'Amiga' would be the marketed OS/hardware combo.
It'd be up to Hyperion, AROS team, or MorphOS team if they wanted to get on board with the Amiga brand.

The Amiga hardware brand might give Linux OS4 - a competitively featured, if currently obscure, OS - the exposure it needs to establish as a strong distro, with that exposure reflecting somewhat on the NG Amiga OSes.

I could be completely way off the mark in my suspicions, but if not then a huge 'Bravo' is in order towards the noticeable-by-his-silence Trevor as well as Roberto, and all involved behind the scenes (especially if they manage to pull it off).

Last edited by Boot_WB on 27-Jun-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Last edited by Boot_WB on 27-Jun-2013 at 12:08 AM.

number6 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 0:08:43
#366 ]
Elite Member

@Cristobal Molina or Roberto J. Dohnert

I'm having a problem understanding one bit I've focussed on.

Quote:
Amiga branded OS's and hardware from PC OpenSystems LLC will not happen.  You guys have made it loud and clear that you don't want rebranded PC's.

This reads "no Amiga branded h/w" (from you). Let's skip OS talk for a minute.

But you immediately follow with:

Quote:
We are going to leave the Amiga branded hardware to hardware partners to produce the machines.

This indicates h/w carrying the Amiga brand WILL appear, the only difference being under Acer? instead of from you.

I realize sometimes people say "Amiga h/w" when they just mean h/w with an Amiga identifiable emulator or whatever, but you're statement includes the word "branded".

Would you clarify this?

scabit 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 0:12:57
#367 ]

@wawa

Quote:
you cant just come here and say "hey, im a troll! hail me!". you have to be nominated. and ive been. see the whole bunch of my abuse reports.

I second the nomination! Wawa for troll president!

As for the letter to the Amiga community from Cristobol, it is very very interesting and well considered. Trevor likes new linux distros, so I can see him being interested in this. What about the AROS and MorphOS camps? I have no idea what their view might be about having this linux disto available...although again the idea of running a linux distro on an X86 seems to have no relationship to AROS...that is, AROS is sort of incidental to what has already been done by this group already to make their x86 versions.

This gets more and more fun!

Scott

Boot_WB 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 0:16:11
#368 ]

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:

Quote:
We are going to leave the Amiga branded hardware to hardware partners to produce the machines.

This indicates h/w carrying the Amiga brand WILL appear, the only difference being under Acer? instead of from you.

These partners might include A-Eon, B-Plan, Genesi... who knows...

(Obviously Linux OS4 would have to run on them all first)

Last edited by Boot_WB on 27-Jun-2013 at 12:18 AM.

terminills 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 0:33:21
#369 ]
AROS Core Developer

@wawa

Quote:

@terminills

Oh... So Abuse Reports are nominations!!! sweet. I have 2 nominations then. =]

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

wawa 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 0:35:55
#370 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Quote:
It'd be up to Hyperion, AROS team, or MorphOS team if they wanted to get on board with the Amiga brand.

i cant say anything for aros (or mos) team, but i imagine this is exactly one of the reasons why they got off board with the whole amiga brand. carrying philosophy is more interesting than (re)branding x86 or ppc hardware with linux.

the question is, what gain would aros (or mos (or os4)) have from amiga brand delivered by linux company with linux as primary system. i dont see any obvious. so personally im so far rather indifferent to the whole initiative, and do not think it will have any influence on my personal approach towards amiga or aros.

wawa 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 0:37:58
#371 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

Quote:
Oh... So Abuse Reports are nominations!!! sweet. I have 2 nominations then. =]

nowhere near me. i have ten.

and btw. big thanks at scabitt. much appreciated!

Last edited by wawa on 27-Jun-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 0:58:02
#372 ]

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Boot_WB
what gain would aros (or mos (or os4)) have from amiga brand delivered by linux company with linux as primary system.

If (!) they can build a marketable brand around their distro & 3rd party hardware:

1) Marketability.
The ability to list new Amiga hardware as supported systems. That's going to be more marketable than a hard-to-find AmigaOne page on Amigakit.com, or a list of supported hardware on MorphOS-team.net / aros-exec.org .
With no offense intended at all towards anyone's marketing, it's just pure numbers - even a relatively small Linux distro will have an order of magnitude more visitors, and that's before adding a widely recognised (if bruised) brand-name.

2) Users
Pure and simple. Not millions, not tens of thousands, but more marketing means more interest means more users (if the offerings are right).

3) Profit. (or possibly free chicks & beer)

Boot_WB 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 1:29:53
#373 ]

Quote:
Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Boot_WB
what gain would aros (or mos (or os4)) have from amiga brand delivered by linux company with linux as primary system.

If (!) they can build a marketable brand around their distro & 3rd party hardware:

1) Marketability.
2) Users

I think the above is worth the indignity (?) of seeing Amiga branded hardware running Linux, regardless of architecture.

If A-Eon were selling AmigaOne X1000s running Linux, with AmigaOS optional, would anyone complain?

So why complain about them selling x86 with Linux as Amiga, if they're also marketing Amiga hardware which can coincidentally run AmigaOS/AROS/MorphOS?

It's all exposure, and in this case (assuming they don't try to make the same ridiculous markups as CUSA) I personally don't see any bad.

Last edited by Boot_WB on 27-Jun-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Last edited by Boot_WB on 27-Jun-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Last edited by Boot_WB on 27-Jun-2013 at 01:31 AM.

klx300r 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 1:42:23
#374 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@terminills

well terminills this is a fact that no one here can deny now back to the drama channel to see if OpenLinux OS4 will be changing their name soon to OpenLinux OS4.2

Last edited by klx300r on 27-Jun-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Last edited by klx300r on 27-Jun-2013 at 01:42 AM.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

resle 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 2:41:24
#375 ]
Cult Member

Oh for the love of God please someone unban Franko!!

sundown 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 3:25:33
#376 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Quote:
If A-Eon were selling AmigaOne X1000s running Linux, with AmigaOS optional, would anyone complain?

The x1000 currently runs os4 with the option to run linux, I don't see Trevor changing that order when he intended the x to run os4.2, so there's 1 complaint.

Last edited by sundown on 27-Jun-2013 at 04:06 AM.

Hondo 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 6:27:48
#377 ]

@resle

Quote:
Oh for the love of God please someone unban Franko!!

Yeeahhh release the freaks!!

Hondo 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 6:32:13
#378 ]

@Christobal and OS4 Open Linux community

You guys are welcome in the AmigaOS camp....you bet on that!

Just remember this one important thing when entering this playfield

There can be only one OS to succed as next gen amiga OS and that's called AmigaOS

Boot_WB 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 8:49:48
#379 ]

@sundown

Well done for finding a way to miss the point completely there. I thought I'd got the idea across pretty plainly. Okay let's try again.

"If A-Eon were selling thousands of Linux-installed X1000s in addition to the few hundred they have sold with AmigaOS installed, would anyone complain?"

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 9:15:32
#380 ]
Elite Member

@Wawa

I think you miss the point. It does not say that their OS must be preinstalled on the "Amiga" hardware (but it of course can) so it would be no harm.

@scabit

I can only speak for myself (not for anyone else)

I personal define amiga as:

based on Amiga API (classic) with extensions of course
Simplicity (I only say windows registry...)
efficiency

So based on this a PPC system from Acube or a-eon with AmigaOS (or MorphOS) of course qualifies for it. But the same is for a FPGA based system (68k) and of course X86/X64/ARM with AROS. Imagine a efficient system running on the fastest available hardware. We could use the advantage of the PCs against them . I personal would support the idea. The brand still has some attraction and combining it with newest hardware there would be a real chance and opportunity. I had contact to former Amiga developers. There is still interest and sympathy but to invest in the platform they want to see opportunities. So I think with this idea there is a realistic chance.

And when they ask what they can do. Next to general things like drivers there is a need for new tablet/smartphone GUI. All we have is desktop related and not suitable. AROS is already running on Android but we miss a suitable GUI.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle