Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 142 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  49 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 DWolfman:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 cncparts:  3 hrs 30 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  4 hrs 16 mins ago
 Beajar:  4 hrs 35 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 37 mins ago
 agami:  5 hrs 41 mins ago
 RobertB:  6 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
PosterThread
OlafS25 
Re: OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 15:32:52
#401 ]
Elite Member

@resle

to compare ReactOS with UAE to a native solution is nonsense

Profile     Report this post  
WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 15:35:40
#402 ]

They would be much better with the Commodore brand. But the legal situation with that is just as, if not more, f*cked up as it is with Amiga trademark.

number6 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 15:38:50
#403 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
They would be much better with the Commodore brand. But the legal situation with that is just as, if not more, f*cked up as it is with Amiga trademark.

I try to avoid giving opinions but I think that one factually and quite easily enters the "more" category. They worked very hard to get it into that category for years, so let's give them some credit.

vox 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 16:28:48
#404 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:

If there was some value in C= trademark, CUSA has deteriorated it for sure.

http://www.os4online.com/2013/06/a-message-to-amiga-community.html

@Christobal

Quote:
We are going to leave the Amiga branded hardware to hardware partners to produce the machines. Now keep in mind, that we will work with hardware partners who produce x86 hardware, PowerPC hardware and even ARM hardware in the future and they will be branded Amiga. We dont discriminate on hardware and if you want to complain about branding you can complain to them.

Is that just a concept of having hardware partners or there are some Amiga branded hardware expected?

resle 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 16:32:54
#405 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

i thought understanding that was a provocation was at the reach of everyone. I stand corrected.

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 16:40:12
#406 ]
Elite Member

@resle

We are in a free world, everyone can provocate everyone (to a certain degree)

I do not know more than everyone else and there are many points still unclear. For example how the systems will be named. When using a number like A1300 or similar it would probably end in confusion (even though calling FPGA Arcade A1300 would be nice ). And of course who the hardware partner will be. a-eon and Acube are obvious but then who else? But anyway I think it could help to bring the "market" (we now have 4 different markets) in movement and I do not think we could loose much from my point of view.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 16:58:15
#407 ]

@vox

There's much more value in C= brand than there is in Amiga's. But both are legally screwed.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 17:00:07
#408 ]

@OlafS25

I would expect Sam460 (or rather the AmigaOne x500 package) to go for the branding, since it will soon be natively supporting all 3 OSes iirc.

I'd also expect A-Eon's next product (Cyrus?) to be a lot cheaper, which may also attract (or have already attracted behind closed doors) the interest of the MorphOS team who as per their FAQ don't discuss support for non-existent systems.

Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but the timing is all a bit coincidental, especially in the timescales of Amigaland where we're used to waiting two years for an updated cli tool. I suspect someones Most Ambitious Project is taking shape, albeit not exactly as originally planned, and I don't think it's Ben's.

As I said a long time ago on Morphzone:
Quote:
[Trevor] has a good business pedigree, so I wouldn't be surprised if he manages to pull it off: even if his own personal interest in the Amiga blinded him with optimism (and I don't believe this to be the case), I would be surprised if that would be enough to convince his business partner (Anthony Moorley) to invest. There must be a sound business plan in place.

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 17:12:52
#409 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

I assume you are a MorphOS user

SAM 460 would be a good candidate for "Amiga"

But we should wait for the official announcements. In any case it would create some motivation for MorphOS team to support new hardware. Used Macs can hardly be called "Amiga" . And Acube is certainly open to preinstall MorphOS on their hardware. Their priority is to sell their hardware and not a certain OS.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 27-Jun-2013 at 05:13 PM.

vox 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 17:22:47
#410 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
There's much more value in C= brand than there is in Amiga's. But both are legally screwed.

Passed Barry`s mantra, difficult to prove.
Yes, C64 was a bestseller, probably bigger success then any Amiga, establishing CBM name,
making demo scene etc.

But, marketing sucessfully a common x86 (now x64) PC under any name, is possible only as resulting value/performance of system and software (and support and design to certain degree), people have at least proven to be that smart to choose better for same amounth of money (thus e.g. survival of AMD). Or it is influence of capitalism, you decide, but effect is the same. Demise of anyone trying to resell the brand as added cost, without much real added value to justify the difference. CUSA is in overall picture just other LLC that died and tried impossible, based on wrong judgement. So sad it was LCC ...

Paying added cost to "Amiga","CBM","OpenLinux" just doesn`t strike the needle as much as opossite example of Apples long tradition how to promote perceived as different, even today hardware is the same. They can do it because its Apple, but takes some 20 years to become so good and still a lot of design, PR and good software to mask the hardware.

Amiga community of any kind is different planet: bunch of (as Amig4Be would say) "cultists" and people finding value in its virtues of what they see as Amiga - hungry for new software and hardware. But that such concept promoted as C=USA or hereby OS4, just isn`what they need, and such campaigns even sweetened sound as "brand name rape".

Last edited by vox on 27-Jun-2013 at 05:34 PM.

vox 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 17:26:38
#411 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
SAM 460 would be a good candidate for "Amiga"

It is A1 500 as system

Well, if infamous triple boot - hereby MorphOS, AROS and OS4 is offered, it might be a unity hardware factor (as well as Linux/AEROS).

Optimization of all 3 OSs and apps for SAM460 hardware would be nice to see. Some users for example say TW and GIMP on AOS4 with plugins are way too slow to be usable. Would OO run on it once ported? How much influence will have improved RadeonHD drivers since SAM460 isn`t a CPU killer but overall decent performant when using SATA/PCI-E/DDR2/USB2 to fullest.

number6 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 17:27:59
#412 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
Passed Barry`s mantra, difficult to prove.

That may depend on what you use as a measurement stick.

WolfToTheMoon and I are clearly looking at the companies involved in the various lawsuits in the Netherlands and New York USA and the values OF those companies. (as well as intent)

But feel free to write to these companies and tell them the brand is worth little. I'm sure they could use a little touch of humor at this juncture.

terminills 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 17:34:22
#413 ]
AROS Core Developer

@number6

Quote:
But feel free to write to these companies and tell them the brand is worth little. I'm sure they could use a little touch of humor at this juncture.

Last edited by terminills on 27-Jun-2013 at 05:43 PM.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

vox 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 17:39:04
#414 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:
WolfToTheMoon and I are clearly looking at the companies involved in the various lawsuits in the Netherlands and New York USA and the values OF those companies. (as well as intent)

I am curious now, since money is the measurement of value, what are they worth?

Or estimated value of Hyperion,A-EON, Genesi. Amiga Inc combined?

Its not something we could buy out of pocket as individuals or community
but I am sure its a overall joke in serious business world. And up to 10% of CBM value
at its best days.

If we have nerves for 10 years more and save some money, maybe we will be able
as Amigaworld LCC consortium to take it over

number6 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 17:43:05
#415 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
If we have nerves for 10 years more and save some money, maybe we will be ableas Amigaworld LCC consortium to take it over

...methinks not.

Templario 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 17:56:28
#416 ]
Elite Member

CUSA plus OS4 open linux, the bad alternative for the current Amiga boards, Sam or X1000 plu AmigaOS4.
The OS4 linux is more $$$$$$

Boot_WB 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 18:02:47
#417 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@Boot_WB

I assume you are a MorphOS user

Quite right, AmigaOS3.1-3.9 and AmigaOS 4.0 on my old A4000T, AmigaOS4.0 (pre and final) on G4/XE and G3/SE systems I owned briefly, and MorphOS 1.4.x on a previous A4000D and Peg1(april2), and Peg2 at various points. AROS at some points, but I can't remember on what machine - prob x86 desktop.

I was always more interested in discovering what the old classic hardware could achieve - getting a 1980s motherboard (running the Workbench environment I remembered as an adolescent) onto the internet for the first time was absolutely magic.
"I wonder what this old system can actually do" became "Is there anything this system can't do?", as I graduated up from an unexpanded A1200 to a fully pimped pair of A4000Ts (~2002 to ~2010).
I also tried out MorphOS and AmigaOS on Pegasus and A1 (SE and XE) hardware, but I was more of a hardware tinkerer so neither - at that time - really interested me. I sold them on.

When I later decided to sell the ageing Amiga systems before they died into worthless silicon, MorphOS on the Mac Mini was the most attractive choice available. If Moana had gone through, there's a good chance I'd be typing this message from Timberwolf instead of Odyssey, but the ability to try before you buy also helped a lot.

I did sign up for the X1000 beta tester scheme, but had to pull out as circumstances changed.

Unfortunately whenever I've looked at AROS, the x86 laptop I've had at the time always had an incompatible chipset or poorly supported graphics card, and I don't even use x86 these days. My impression is that the PPC versions are not as robust, but I really should check that myself and give it a try again.

Probably not an uncommon story as to how someone ended up in one 'camp' rather than the other, I'd prefer to have access to them all in a perfect world.

Last edited by Boot_WB on 27-Jun-2013 at 06:11 PM.

vox 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 18:06:10
#418 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:
According to Barry and Leo, they were in contact with Ben but Ben stopped replying to their emails.

And they never tried telephone, cell phone or traditional snail mail?

@number6

Quote:
.methinks not. #6

Its a joke, for sure, but as long as they keep law-suiting and
re-issuing repacked PCs, value is surely falling down.

Who knows, maybe someone of us gets rich in next 5 to 10 years

@terminills

Interesting icon set, smiley culture mixture of stoners, clowns and Rasta bananas?

@Boot_WB

Quote:
Probably not an uncommon story as to how someone ended up in one 'camp' rather than the other, I'd prefer to have access to them all in a perfect world.

I believe its not so common, as each of us had a different path.
But nice, and hopefully SAM 460 and X1000 sucessor might fulfill the dream:
AmigaOS 4 and probably MorphOS and AROS PPC, as well as Linux PPC systems.

Off course, single OS5 uniting them was a long leasting dream, but will common hardware
make more cooperation possible? Last common platforms like Pegasos II and PPC equipped Classics haven`t?

@sundown

Quote:
"If A-Eon were selling thousands of Linux-installed X1000s in addition to the few hundred they have sold with AmigaOS installed, would anyone complain?" Trevor has ever right to make a profit any way he can.

Having well supported Linux on X1000 is also nice feature for X1000 AOS4 buyers ...
And if US military wants PA Semi equipped system with Linux - who are we to stop them?

Last edited by vox on 27-Jun-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Last edited by vox on 27-Jun-2013 at 06:18 PM.

sundown 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 18:17:54
#419 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Quote:
Well done for finding a way to miss the point completely there. I thought I'd got the idea across pretty plainly. Okay let's try again.

I didn't miss anything, you said with the "option" to run OS4. I use an x1000 that runs OS4.1 with the "option" to run linux, "or" would have been a better word to use.

Quote:
"If A-Eon were selling thousands of Linux-installed X1000s in addition to the few hundred they have sold with AmigaOS installed, would anyone complain?"

Trevor has ever right to make a profit any way he can.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 18:22:41
#420 ]

Quote:

Boot_WB wrote:
@broadblues

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Interesting co-incidence, this would have been around the time that the decision was made to disband A-Eon Technology CVBA and form A-Eon Technology Ltd (which was officially incorporated at the start of the UK tax year two months later on April 4th 2012 .

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle