Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
31 crawler(s) on-line.
 153 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 miggymac:  35 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 24 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 DWolfman:  3 hrs 13 mins ago
 cncparts:  4 hrs 46 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  5 hrs 32 mins ago
 Beajar:  5 hrs 51 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 54 mins ago
 agami:  6 hrs 57 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
PosterThread
Boot_WB 
Re: OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 18:26:07
#421 ]

@sundown

Quote:

sundown wrote:
@Boot_WB

Quote:
Well done for finding a way to miss the point completely there. I thought I'd got the idea across pretty plainly. Okay let's try again.

I didn't miss anything, you said with the "option" to run OS4. I use an x1000 that runs OS4.1 with the "option" to run linux, "or" would have been a better word to use.

Sorry for creating the misunderstanding.

Quote:
Trevor has ever right to make a profit any way he can.

Agreed.

Profile     Report this post  
RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 2:44:48
#422 ]

@Templario

Quote:
CUSA plus OS4 open linux, the bad alternative for the current Amiga boards, Sam or X1000 plu AmigaOS4. The OS4 linux is more $$$$$$

Actually, OS4 OpenLinux is the same price as other Linux distributions, free, the enterprise version as well is actually very competitively priced to other Enterprise linux distros. of course with hardware vendors we will bundle the OS with the hardware.

RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 3:04:18
#423 ]

@wawa

Quote:
im not complaining. as i already wrote im indifferent to it. and i think there is no opportunity for aros in in, save someone points me to one.

there is a lot of things we can do WITH AROS on the x86 side and Amiga OS 4, on the PowerPC side, lets wait and get some stuff ironed out.

Quote:
given the new hardware or part of it will be ppc, i dont see where would that be coming from, except trevor wizardry. in this case the only difference will be that the new hardware could be called "amiga", not " amigaone". dont see how that could influence price or availability. seems that morphos team has refused to support it in the past, dont see why they would want to change their mind.

Actually we were thinking of calling the x86 boxes as AmigaTwo Xi7000

Quote:
perhaps, but i dont see any proof how recognized or popular that distro is. so i dont see how there are opportunities on either side. remains to be seen, but im not going to cheer for that.

number 15 on distrowatch, had a writeup in ComputerWorld, one upcoming in Linux Journal and a quite a few consistent users.

Quote:
see above. also what makes you think amiga linux users will have any interest for obscure amigang oses?

its all about giving them a path, Amiga OpenLinux opens up a path for users. The Amiga OS is a consumer OS that is definately still relevant but little to no pathway into the enterprise. Both OS's can cater to certain users and can help beef up adoption.

Last edited by RobertJDohnert on 28-Jun-2013 at 03:22 AM.

klx300r 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 4:06:32
#424 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

RobertJDohnert wrote:
Quote:
see above. also what makes you think amiga linux users will have any interest for obscure amigang oses?

its all about giving them a path, Amiga OpenLinux opens up a path for users. The Amiga OS is a consumer OS that is definately still relevant but little to no pathway into the enterprise. Both OS's can cater to certain users and can help beef up adoption.

this makes sense to me Robert. I like your openness so far and thanks again for checking into our irc this past Sunday night

Last edited by klx300r on 28-Jun-2013 at 04:08 AM.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Plaz 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 4:16:42
#425 ]

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:
Actually we were thinking of calling the x86 boxes as AmigaTwo Xi7000

Hoping that's a joke... personally I find it horrid.

Just read the latest blog. If you want to contribute code to the AROS, MOS and AOS projects... that's great, I wish you well.

If you're intentions are to create some hybrid linux distribution and somehow tag it as "Amiga" I'll not be interesting in supporting or endorsing such a thing.

I guess you missed my post on Page 7 where I said I liked the idea of a new Amiga kernel based on QNX in 1999. I would have liked that beast. Today I think it's closest descendant is AROS. Cristobal says he's a long time Amiga fan... seems he would know better how NOT to launch a project here.

@AmigaDave.... some of the best posts ever.

Plaz

RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 4:30:24
#426 ]

@Plaz

Quote:

Im just showing a little bit of sarcasm, yes it was a joke.

sundown 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 4:38:35
#427 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:

Just a suggestion, since a few have problems with your ideas, I would add a "joke" disclaimer at the same time.

RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 4:40:44
#428 ]

@klx300r

Quote:
this makes sense to me Robert. I like your openness so far and thanks again for checking into our irc this past Sunday night

This Sunday night a 6 pm US ET, i will be back on chat to answer questions regarding our plans for Amiga OpenLinux and more of our plans. Yes we did do the list as cristobal said we would and its quite a list. we decided to hold off on publishing it until the chat, that way anyone who wanted answers can ask live and that way we dont clog up the forums with Q&A that would be asked again that night. the list will go live on the website that morning and in the forums that morning as users can go ahead and digest it. in this list, we define what OUR, our own personal, vision for the Amiga is. We hope you guys find it enlightening. Make sure you come chat.

OlafS25 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 8:14:15
#429 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

I can personal only say what you promise is pretty much what I hoped for. It will change the market (and the community) more than anything that happened in the last ten years. Technical we are in a pretty good position with a broad hardware support and with growing competition and more visibility outside we all can and will benefit.

Thanx for doing it...

Boot_WB 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 8:24:44
#430 ]

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:

RobertJDohnert wrote:
@Plaz

Quote:

Thank the Gods.

/Me calls off Amiga2.0 lawyers

AndreasM 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 8:29:57
#431 ]

@RobertJDohnert

Commodore USA TNG now with Featured Name OS4 :)

I understand it when you would like use the name Amiga.

But use the Productname OS4?

I hear really many in my work with Amiga the last 20 years, but that are really funny and very serious ;)

http://www.apc-tcp.de - https://www.amigafuture.de - https://www.amigashop.org

vox 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 8:53:17
#432 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:

Is only AmigaTwo a joke, or whole reply. Surely, OpenLinux opens path to some users as well as AmigaOS is relevant but no enterprise, but there is hardly a link to it.

We ll see how you will shape elaborate the concept futher then ideas.
For now:

- No one has come with Amiga branded hardware blessed by Amiga Inc after CUSA (and in fact CUSA and iCoin did it very briefly, I don‚t know are those smartphones and tablets at sale at all)
- Swapping motherboards concept has never been put to practice
- There are very few consumer ARM and PPC options
- There are no official signs of cooperation by anyone (AROS, MorphOS, Hyperion, Amiga Inc, A-EON)
-Name change of OS4 Linux has not come to effect
- There is no PPC/ARM port of OS4 Linux/OpenLinux

Producing AmigaTwo x64 system with Amiga name and just OS4 Linux would be most likely to happen fast, IF there was a proper blessings from A Inc.

As any of these things change, my opinion and support might shift.
Some proper and legal order is essential, keep us informed.

OlafS25 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 8:58:38
#433 ]
Elite Member

@vox

"- There are very few consumer ARM and PPC options
- There are no official signs of cooperation by anyone (AROS, MorphOS, Hyperion, Amiga Inc, A-EON)"

I answer from my own view...

cooperation will be forced by competition because noone can afford the luxury anymore then to make the system incompatible because developers will not add lots of effort just to support a couple of hundred users. The developer will then simply not support the platform(s) and that will force OS developers to cooperate and adapt (or "game over").

And ARM options are in development at least on AROS (Efika MX and Raspberry and more will certainly follow)

Regarding PPC I do not know enough

As I said you seem to underestimate competition (something that did not exist in amiga market for a long time)

Last edited by OlafS25 on 28-Jun-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 28-Jun-2013 at 08:59 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 9:09:40
#434 ]
Elite Member

@vox

One example that comes to my mind is MUI4 (there are others on all platforms). They see it as special advantage compared to others but because it does not exist on the other platforms it makes it difficult to develop sofware that runs on all platforms. What will happen when there is more competition and people (developer) start to think in economic terms again? They will develop the software for the biggest platforms (most users) at that time and if this is not MorphOS their "advantage" will become the opposite. They could then change their mind and opensource MUI4 or at least offer it as option like Adobe with Acrobat Reader. Or they can go on like before and see what happens.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 28-Jun-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 28-Jun-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 9:53:43
#435 ]

@OlafS25

Even if they don't open source MUI4 (afaik that would be down to Stunzi) could they at least document the API to allow AmigaOS/AROS to develop their own implementations whilst maintaining the same API?
I appreciate there's a lot of backend stuff which will still prevent apps from running on all platforms, but having three MUI4s (including Zune) all of which are incompatible from an app-programmers POV seems insane.

OlafS25 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 9:56:10
#436 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

I do not know if they could deliver binaries for all platforms. That was just one idea where I think competition would help (a lot).

broadblues 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 10:57:28
#437 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Boot_WB

Quote:

could they at least document the API to allow AmigaOS/AROS to develop their own implementations whilst maintaining the same API?

Ofcourse the API is documented. A GUI toolkit with a non documented toolkit would be pointless!

Boot_WB 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 10:59:50
#438 ]

@broadblues

Damn, knew I should have left the "iana coder" disclaimer in there.

broadblues 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 11:02:08
#439 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@OlafS25

Competition will cause us to cooperate? I used simply to disgagree with you now I know you are deluded!

When the Roman invaded Briton all the competing celtic tribes banded together a threw them out... oh wait maybe they didn't.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 11:06:47
#440 ]

@broadblues

Not to go all off-topic on you, but it's thought the Boudicca rebellion may have been a distraction (an unsuccessful one) to allow the fleeing Druids to safely escape.
So, yes it is thought that there was some degree of co-operation and strategy between the competing tribes against the common invading enemy.

/OT

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle