Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 122 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  22 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  39 mins ago
 agami:  39 mins ago
 RobertB:  59 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 Bruce72:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  2 hrs 38 mins ago
 t0lkien:  2 hrs 43 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Ask Electronic Arts to free De-Luxe Paint sourcecode
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
Raffaele 
Re: Ask Electronic Arts to free De-Luxe Paint sourcecode
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 3:33:43
#21 ]

@broadblues

Don't misunderstand my point...

I just wanted to demonstrate I have enough skills in drawing with other software for judging Gimp as unusable for normal practical use...
And believe me I tried it various times, when I don't have access to my beloved software and Gimp is the only free resource available to download online.

What an horrible experience...

Gimp is perfect for the linux geek... bloated and rough for practical usage, and full of unused features that are more practical to be used from its internal command line language console... The linux geek paradise!!!

Last edited by Raffaele on 28-Mar-2014 at 03:44 AM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 28-Mar-2014 at 03:37 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
broadblues 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 3:42:23
#22 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Raffaele

Quote:

I just wanted to demonstrate I have enough skills in drawing with other software for judging Gimp as unusable for normal practical use...

Maybe you 'know too much already' and try to use it like DPaint or similar, which is is not, I took me about a day to learn how to paint with it, (somewhat longer to learn how to actually paint as you can see by the prgresion of images)

Myppoint here is that I didn;t have to unlearn any predjudices just picked up the mouse chose a brush and start doodling.

Raffaele 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 3:48:17
#23 ]

@broadblues

My point after having using Gimp is that I prefer rather to get a life using watercolors real thingies rather than using Gimp anymore...

Manu 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 9:10:21
#24 ]

I used gimp for most of my artwork (shameless advertising) and I've seen no problem using it so far. There's nothing on AROS at least that comes close to it if we talk about bitmap grahics. One thing I can agree on is that the UI gets a bit on my nerves especially the latest version I like to run it on my low resolution laptop and the UI takes up too much space ,well that said I can't stand Adobes UI either. If gimp could look as clean as for example PaintNET with no features missing, just better planning where to put the buttons etc then it would be a prefect tool.

Manu 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 9:18:51
#25 ]

@Arko

Quote:
Bitplane GFX is dead.

Arko 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 9:34:48
#26 ]

@Manu

Quote:

Quote:
Bitplane GFX is dead.

Maybe I should have written 'planar GFX is dead'

GIMP (or Photoshop) are programs with a lot of useful functions for photomanipulation but the concept of working with layers is totally different to pixel oriented programs.

But I think it is worth learning how to use these common technics, there are good reasons using them.

And beside of crying for DPaint (that would be hard to port) there are existing open source programs, that could fill the gaps when updated with missing functions.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

KimmoK 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 10:49:43
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Dpaint

Some 15 years ago I managed to do simple video clip with DPaint on my A4000 in far less than 5 minutes from power up. Very fast and powerfull after I've learnt it.

I have tried other apps like PersonalPaint but for some reason I could not perform same things.

So... for me it's something in the interface and simple access in animation creation that is the key there.

Later I have tried DPaint for modern bitmaps, but it poorly handles high resolutions, IIRC.

So, for me, remake of DPaint user interface on a modern tool might be nice. (for oldfart like me whose mind is twisted towards DPaint)

GIMP I have used for photo manipulation in Linux and I do not like it at all. It gets the job done but it's not fast/simple/easy.
(I should try to use more ImageFX, ArtEffect, etc... and modern tools like sketchblock)

Last edited by KimmoK on 28-Mar-2014 at 10:51 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Arko 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 11:34:33
#28 ]

@KimmoK

Quote:

So... for me it's something in the interface and simple access in animation creation that is the key there.

I belive a pixel oriented programm, with the support for animations (maybe via memcoder) is still missing.

IMR the light table (tr?) was one of the best features in DPaint for Animation creation.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Raffaele 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 11:35:16
#29 ]

@Arko and Kimmok

None said that a new version of Dpaint should lack modern things like handling higher resolutions properly or managing layers feature... but we should get it opensourced first...

BTW 50% of the things that on Adobe Photoshop required to be made with layers could be more easily handled with Dpaint free brushes or stencils (masks) applied on colors...

Last edited by Raffaele on 28-Mar-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 28-Mar-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 11:40:41
#30 ]

@Arko

PD Pro have all these features and is written mainly in Visual Basic and it is proprietary, so we need a licence to port it on Amiga systems.

Last edited by Raffaele on 28-Mar-2014 at 11:41 AM.

PR 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 11:52:44
#31 ]

DP was awesome. IV and V bought. What about make a ppc version for OS4? I'd buy it. Immediately. The pc version was crap.

I did most of my work in DP etc. Never caught the others.

It's EA:s call but suggest it.

Trixie 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 12:46:36
#32 ]
Amiga Developer Team

Be careful about nostalgia, it's a treacherous bitch. DPaint was good in its time but it would require a massive rewrite to rid it of technology that didn't stand the test of time (planar graphics, EHB, HAM, color cycling, 8bit palette etc.) and implement new one (layers, truecolor, modern GUI etc.). It's just not worth the trouble - better go with SketchBlock.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Raffaele 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 13:11:01
#33 ]

@Trixie

It has been done in PD Pro. I wonder how it costs to licence a porting of it on our platforms.

Last edited by Raffaele on 28-Mar-2014 at 01:22 PM.

cymru 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 13:20:18
#34 ]

@Thread confused by my post

I meant to say that GIMP is open source and the code is available to not just use to build a working OS4 version, but also to modify so that one can rewrite the UI (user interface) and make it more friendly. Being Linux specific, it would require adjustments for the OS4 library calls and such, thus giving the programmer the opportunity to make it more Personal Paint, Deluxe Paint, Proton Paint, etc. in nature.

Hypex 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 13:36:09
#35 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

The difference here is that those are support programs for the OS and the other is an OS. Although Commodore bundled DPaint with the OS at times I don't think this is the same. EA didn't produce AmigaOS. But Hyperion don't have the source to DPaint either.

broadblues 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 15:52:27
#36 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Raffaele

Quote:

It has been done in PD Pro. I wonder how it costs to licence a porting of it on our platforms.

Lol which part of your own statement it's writen mainly in *Visual Basic* did you not understand?

I don't remeber any visual basic ports or even clones being created for AmigaOS4 recently.

Raffaele 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 15:58:38
#37 ]

@broadblues

There was not Blitz Basic or Hi-Speed Basic that were compatible with Visual Basic?

Last edited by Raffaele on 28-Mar-2014 at 04:04 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 16:13:56
#38 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

they were at best compatible with Microsoft Basic. Visual Basic is what is used up to today with objectorientated features and similar. Not much to do with Microsoft Basic of that time.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 16:31:00
#39 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Gimp works fine, but it takes time to get used too,
Thats way I way I created PublicPaint back in 2002, when I was using Linux.

The thing about Dpaint is the animation feature, thats the most special part of the program, using anim-brushes and stuff like that.

The problem I have whit Gimp is that I forget meny things are in and how to do things, because I do not use it regularly, this was never a problem whit Dpaint or Ppaint, where things where kind of self explanatory.

Just to draw a line you need to know what key to press in Gimp on the keyboard, in Dpaint and Ppaint you find it in the toolbar, I know its not Cad program, but some geometric shapes might be nice to have handy.

I have probably forgotten a lot about how to use Dpaint also, anyway.

On PC there is program called Paint.Net this program is more like normal paint program, and less like photo editing program like Gimp.

Layering features in Gimp are really advanced and nice, if you know how to use this, basically being able to make background, and draw on top of it whit out destroying the background.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 16:51:58
#40 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Actually VirtualBasic 2008 is highly object orientated. Its more like Java/C# then its like Basic in 1990's / 1980's, it is possible to make some thing like that.

But Dpaint clone and VB like Language is huge investment in time and energy to get done, if anyone wants anything like that they will need to prepay for it.

I take it on if some one invest in the project. VB will take me maybe 4 years of my time to get some thing presentable, Note this need a Development Enviroment (Text editor, Debugger, Designer)

DPaint clone whit all features plus improvements, I think will take 2 years,

I might do it as a Kickstarter (startup company) but never as a Open Source Bunty, just too mutch work to give away.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle