Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 117 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  23 mins ago
 MarcioD:  46 mins ago
 Hammer:  54 mins ago
 kolla:  54 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 1 min ago
 NancyNash:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 10 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  How big is the OS4.x hardware market?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
NutsAboutAmiga 
Re: How big is the OS4.x hardware market?
Posted on 30-Mar-2014 14:53:27
#21 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Its hard to say how many who has it we have tried before to count, but because not all users have user account on Amigaworld or Amigans, its impossible to say.

A large amount of X1000 users I think are people who upgraded from AmigaONE-XE/SE/Mini maybe some Sam440, but there are people who never owned a AmigaONE computers who buys too, and the lesser Sam440's/AmigaONE-XE and are sold in the secondary market, too people might not have afforded to buy it new, or how might not have gone buying one else.

I think number of AmigaOS4 users is growing but slowly.

I belive hardcore classic users are starting looking at options like AROS, MorphOS and AmigaOS4.

But we are not out of deep wather, a more active strategy to get new programs and games on market, is needed.
Making possible for developers to earn some money might stimulate to more programs and better programs.

Profile     Report this post  
Xmas87 
Posted on 30-Mar-2014 15:28:32
#22 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

The Amistore concept should help devs get paid for their work. In time, if it proves to be fruitful, it may attract new devs to AmigaOS.

Personally, the prospect of family being able to buy me Amistore credits instead of christmas socks is very very welcome!

Delta_qc 
Posted on 30-Mar-2014 15:51:16
#23 ]

As an AmigaOne 500 owner I believe the market has good potential to get another 1000 customers taken from the classic users and some newcomers. BUT the Cyrus needs to be more affordable than the X1000 and not much more expensive than the SAM460.

If the new software to be released would run too slow on a SAM460 but smoothly on a Cyrus then it would be a good reason to upgrade for me. But so far all I see is beta versions and nothing that makes me want to ditch my windows PC yet....

I miss the WOW! factor that Amiga was known for.

Last edited by Delta_qc on 30-Mar-2014 at 03:53 PM.

scabit 
Posted on 30-Mar-2014 16:56:29
#24 ]

@amigadave

The OS4.X hardware market is inifinite...it knows no bounds. One could easily sell a million AmigaOne X1000s ...if it was marketed right and had the proper backing.
If Steve Jobs had decided to market he AmigaOne X1000 it would have sold millions....he would have done press releases to the media, millions of dollars of advertising and touted it as the greatest thing since sliced bread (as he did all of his other products).
So the answer to your question is...it all depends on how it is marketed. With no marketing, we will remain a tiny infinitesimal handful of past glory seekers who recall the days when computing was fun and are willing to pay for that fun today.

Scott

amigakit 
Posted on 30-Mar-2014 17:10:27
#25 ]
Amiga Kit

@Kronos

Quote:
Lets just hope you/Trevor/??? have learned from what went wrong with the X1000 project and won't be repeating the same mistakes with Cyrus.

The problems with launching the X1000 has nothing to do with AmigaKit, we were approached afterwards to help get the project back on track and released to consumers. Trevor is not to blame either as he was a silent partner of A-EON, his role was not to manage A-EON but circumstances changed and he has done a wonderful job of providing the support necessary for A-EON to get back on track.

We now are concentrating as a priority on enabling software development for AmigaONE X1000 users. The future of AmigaOS lies now with the more powerful hardware that the X1000 provides.

Trixie 
Posted on 30-Mar-2014 17:38:44
#26 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@scabit

Quote:
If Steve Jobs had decided to market he AmigaOne X1000 it would have sold millions

He wouldn't. Steve Jobs sold milions because he offered trendy gimmicks and focused on portable products. With a computer the size of your grandma's wardrobe he would have failed miserably because save for a few hundred of ageing Amigans, who would buy such a curious thing in 2014?

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

tommysammy 
Posted on 30-Mar-2014 17:44:36
#27 ]
Cult Member

@amigakit i hope the software will be very good and useful. Only with new software we will get user back

Vistaus 
Posted on 30-Mar-2014 19:02:10
#28 ]

@amigakit

It would be nice if the 500 is also taken into consideration for software development, given that it's also part of the AmigaOne family.

Signal 
Posted on 30-Mar-2014 19:04:01
#29 ]
Cult Member

@Trixie

Quote:

Trixie wrote:
With a computer the size of your grandma's wardrobe he would have failed miserably because save for a few hundred of ageing Amigans, who would buy such a curious thing in 2014?

In my dumb-ass user opinion any NG hardware should be marketed as a hobby system.

No need for million $ advertising or lofty goals of complete desktop solution to
all of anyones needs, just invest some time to see how other successful hobby
systems are promoted and go one step further by adding that it can be also a
desktop solution.

Think Raspberry pi, Beagleboard, intel Galileo and Minnowboard, Arduino and
some others. No need to dig up Steve, just change the thinking, get serious with
the Linux devs, and be very free with information. Or try to go head to head with
Apple and MS.

My 2p. Meh!

cymru 
Posted on 30-Mar-2014 19:16:55
#30 ]

@scabit
NeXT?

amigakit 
Posted on 30-Mar-2014 19:32:17
#31 ]
Amiga Kit

@Vistaus

Hi,

This 500 is not an A-EON product, so the sizeable investment and associated risk that A-EON is taking needs to directly benefit the AmigaONE X1000 and future A-EON models. If the software products A-EON produces and funds also benefit other third-party products, that is great. Bottom line: A-EON is now run as a business and it's customers are the primary focus.

Quote:
The Amistore concept should help devs get paid for their work. In time, if it proves to be fruitful, it may attract new devs to AmigaOS.

That is exactly our view too! For too long, devs have not been paid properly. One of AMIStore's main objectives is to put a bit of money back in the developer's pockets.

Quote:
Only with new software we will get user back

@tommysammy
I agree fully with your comments.

Last edited by amigakit on 30-Mar-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Last edited by amigakit on 30-Mar-2014 at 07:34 PM.

kamelito 
Posted on 30-Mar-2014 20:21:37
#32 ]
Cult Member

@amigakit

Maybe just maybe you (we?) should support the effort of this Amigans.

http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=1955

Kamelito

retro 
Posted on 30-Mar-2014 20:35:54
#33 ]

@kamelit0

i will for sure buy an cyrus. i am allready an amiga one micro owner. but i am afread that ther cyrus board will be too expensive so no one will buy it..i hope the price go'es down. o men lock at the amiga one x 1000 right now and thats is with free shipping its about 3000 dollers.

i think it will sell less with thease prices.
if there sell 10 board for like 4000 dollers there should rater sell 3800 boards for a 1000 dollers.... i hope ther manage to beat the price down now when its the same hardwere just with an diffrent cpu that has i 10 years time line... i will go for an 5040 and lets imagine that there will be an transputer power cpu acc card. with 15 cpu and gpu's

lets see whats comes out of it all. i hope too see see alot of dynamic campaniens from hyperion and aeon. lets say somecompatitions thtas psuh the hardwere to the limits so wee will have some nice show off the hardwere softwere and maby set op a discount offer for thouse who give away ther old amiga one board to new delvopers. i hope hyperion will make some effort to catch new popole up. lets say development programs. were pepole could get cheap or free hardwere just to get back one the scene agen..

i hope to see a come back of "made with amiga" brand campaine back agen..

Slash 
Posted on 30-Mar-2014 21:01:50
#34 ]
Cult Member

@amigakit

Quote:
A-EON Technology's priority this year is Software Applications for our AmigaONE X1000 customers.

Quote:
We are very excited about introducing the AMIStore app store shortly for all AmigaONE X1000 customers.

Although I (sort of) see the business logic in investing money back into products exclusively for the people who've bought the X1000, doesn't this also "cut your nose off" with regards to revenue from other NG Amiga users? Or is it also in the business plan to support all types of AmigaOS 4 user, and not just X1000 owners?

If not, this looks like it's heading towards another platform split!

Delta_qc 
Posted on 30-Mar-2014 21:13:21
#35 ]

Yes, focusing only on X1000 is not a wise move especially after that press release announcing alliance between A-Eon and Acube.

It's okay to make software for the X1000 but if the 500 can run it as well it's an extra sale. No private club please, we are already not a big crowd :)

Quote:

Slash wrote:
@amigakit

A-EON Technology's priority this year is Software Applications for our AmigaONE X1000 customers.

We are very excited about introducing the AMIStore app store shortly for all AmigaONE X1000 customers.

Although I (sort of) see the business logic in investing money back into products exclusively for the people who've bought the X1000, doesn't this also "cut your nose off" with regards to revenue from other NG Amiga users? Or is it also in the business plan to support all types of AmigaOS 4 user, and not just X1000 owners?

itix 
Posted on 30-Mar-2014 21:19:46
#36 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Quote:

I think that it surprised many people, including myself, that the A-Eon X1000 system sustained strong interest and sales which probably have exceeded 500 units so far, with continued production and sales to this date.

If we assume x1000 sold 600 units from 3/2011 to 3/2014 that makes about 200 units/year. True numbers or not it gives an idea how big the market is. However, it should be taken into account that when x1000 was launched it was the first G4/G5 class system since A1-XE/Pegasos 2 systems and likely had higher initial interest than x5000 would have.

broadblues 
Posted on 30-Mar-2014 21:22:58
#37 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Slash

Quote:

Software will generaly work for all platforms with the same OS, unless it's a hardware specific driver.

klx300r 
Posted on 30-Mar-2014 21:31:46
#38 ]
Elite Member

I'm assuming any software development for the X1000 will indirectly benefit all AmigaOS4.1 & beyond users as well. Of course as broadblues mentioned the only difference is hardware/driver specific stuff like Xorro/Xena

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

amigakit 
Posted on 30-Mar-2014 21:39:29
#39 ]
Amiga Kit

@slash @Delta_qc

I have already stated that if the software runs on other third-party hardware then that is great. The priority for A-EON as a commercial business is it's existing customer base and potential new customers.

Some more powerful software will of course need the X1000 or Cyrus - we have recently seen this to a degree with the recent release of OWB 1.23.

We are very happy for others such as Hyperion and ACube to publish their software on AMIStore too.

Last edited by amigakit on 30-Mar-2014 at 09:41 PM.

amigadave 
Posted on 30-Mar-2014 21:54:37
#40 ]

@thread,

As usual, I see lots of irrelevant replies in this thread, but that was to be expected. I think it is very obvious that the market for any Next Gen AmigaOne system is the current AmigaOS4.x userbase who may want to upgrade from their old AmigaOne, or SAM systems, to something faster and perhaps better supported that comes with a warranty. There will be a few new people who are not former Amiga users who might also be interested in a Cyrus based system, just out of curiosity, but that number will probably be able to be counted on your fingers. The largest potential customer base is the Classic Amiga users, both current and former users, who might be enticed into joining the Next Gen AmigaOne users, if as AmigaKit wrote, new and more Amiga software can be written and released.

It is very encouraging to read that AmigaKit and A-Eon are primarily focusing on supporting the development of new Amiga software, and trying to improve the ways Amiga developers can distribute their work. They certainly have my support and I strongly agree with their thinking. We need more and better software, so any way we can support developers, or bring new developers into the Amiga community, should be pursued and supported.

I guess my estimations of how many people might be interested in buying a Cyrus based system as somewhat pessimistic, compared to most other AmigaOS4.x users, and probably 5 times more than what the trolls who have no interest in ever buying a Next Gen AmigaOne system will post in this thread. The fanboys who still think that any AmigaOne system could ever sell in numbers in excess of 5,000 are living in an alternate reality. It will take dozens of state of the art new software applications for AmigaOS4.x and more competitive price-to-performance ratio hardware will need to be available, plus the OS itself will need to become closer in functionality and features to the mainstream OSes, before we will ever see that many systems and new users again. To bring back former Amiga users, we need a combination of all those things and I am not sure the remaining community can ever come close to making a comeback that a few people still dream about.

But I am getting off topic a bit. I would prefer to only see peoples opinions on how many Next Gen AmigaOne systems they think can be sold, 6 to 18 months from now when the Cyrus systems might be released (depending on driver development of course). AmigaKit and A-Eon are definitely doing the right thing by trying to get more developers and software focused on their existing X1000 systems, as that will only make their Cyrus based systems more attractive in the future.

It is a terribly ambitious dream that Trevor (and now Matthew as well) are pursuing, and I have to take my hat off to them for having the courage to continue against all odds and ignore the naysayers and trolls.

All I can do is hope that Hyperion has the resources and vision to make AmigaOS4.x into a viable alternative OS that more people will want to use on a daily basis.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle