Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 163 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  1 min ago
 dirkzwager:  14 mins ago
 clint:  20 mins ago
 vox:  27 mins ago
 pixie:  38 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  43 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 Templario:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 GPTNederlands:  1 hr 59 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Any progress updates for AmigaOS4.x???
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
amigadave 
Any progress updates for AmigaOS4.x???
Posted on 26-Apr-2014 18:30:01
#1 ]

My time is more limited lately (plus I am too lazy to check multiple Amiga related websites anymore) so AmigaWorld.net is almost my only source of Amiga news for the past several months.

I have not noticed any update news from Hyperion for quite a while, but maybe I missed something that was posted and scrolled off the front page before I saw it.

Have other websites posted any update news, or progress reports from Steven Solie, or Hyperion that have not been cross posted to AW.net?

I know that no programmers or companies in the Amiga community want to publish any proposed release dates before they are ready, because this community is very unforgiving about missed dates and such, but has there been any info coming out of Hyperion recently? Has there been any indication that there will be an update 7, before AmigaOS4.2 is released? Will AmigaOS4.2 be released this year, or is next year a more realistic time frame for 4.2 to be released?

The silence coming from Hyperion is deafening sometimes.

I am guessing that drivers for AmigaOS4.x to run on the A-Eon Cyrus based systems are probably the responsibility of A-Eon to develop and submit to Hyperion for inclusion in a future version of AmigaOS4.x, unless A-Eon are paying Hyperion directly for porting AmigaOS4.x to the proposed Cyrus based systems.

Does anyone know who is working on the Cyrus drivers, or the port of AmigaOS4.x to the Cyrus board(s)?

Just wondering what is happening and if I have missed anything recently.

Profile     Report this post  
cgutjahr 
Re: Any progress updates for AmigaOS4.x???
Posted on 26-Apr-2014 18:47:59
#2 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

Quote:

Have other websites posted any update news, or progress reports from Steven Solie

No. A-EON has released some news: video of Cyrus production, "Prisma" hardware finished.

Last news from the OS4 team (please don't use "Hyperion" in that context) were from Amiwest, IIRC: "X-Kernel", betatesters for Libreoffice needed soon, beta version of X1000 ethernet driver.

Quote:

I know that no programmers or companies in the Amiga community want to publish any proposed release dates before they are ready

That's just what they claim when you actually ask for a release date ("4.2 when?"). The reality is that they're constantly promising release dates: "before summer", "Warp3D drivers real soon", "beta testing Libreoffice starts in Nov 2013"... and have been doing so for way more than a decade.

amigakit 
Posted on 26-Apr-2014 18:59:47
#3 ]
Amiga Kit

@amigadave

The AMIStore app store beta test process has just started which is a good step forward. This will be provided on all future A-EON hardware. Expect more announcements in next few weeks.

A-EON is involved in several software projects at the moment apart from the Cyrus porting projects. All are at differing various stages of development.

While you wait another screen shot of AMIStore running on my Workbench:

Last edited by amigakit on 26-Apr-2014 at 07:05 PM.

number6 
Posted on 26-Apr-2014 19:27:27
#4 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:
Last news from the OS4 team (please don't use "Hyperion" in that context) were from Amiwest, IIRC: "X-Kernel", betatesters for Libreoffice needed soon, beta version of X1000 ethernet driver.

FUSE and NTFS for AmigaOS on February 10

Hyperionmp 
Posted on 26-Apr-2014 19:58:08
#5 ]
Hyperion

@amigadave

Just a tidbit: AmigaOS 4.1 now has a mechanism to use more than 4 GB of memory but can make good use of essentially all physical memory available (i.e. the limit imposed by the 32 bit limit was circumvented).

For the upcoming Cyrus this means that e.g. 16 GB of memory can be put to good use.

This is just one thing that comes to mind.

Thanks to Hans-Joerg Frieden for implementing this feature as a full-time independent contract for Hyperion Entertainment.

More details will follow.

asymetrix 
Posted on 26-Apr-2014 20:10:51
#6 ]
Cult Member

@number6

'FUSE and NTFS for AmigaOS on February 10'

I want more than this each month from developers, basically start to finish of the project, showing what problems were overcome, like the jamiga updates :)

I am willing to pay $$$ for it.

When the Ami Store is finished I would like not only the announcement but :

Announcement
Development blog, 5-6 pages
Video footage of features etc
Developer info how to add your own programs/games + video tutorial
Upcoming ideas, future upgrade direction to take the system eg can we create a format to access db so one could create apps for top 10 game list or top 10 selling game or information for each title return to an application etc.

also opportunity for developers to buy advert space on the site, qrcode direct to URL etc
game review / screenshots in hires

Maybe introduce a new cpu / gpu rating for a kind of system requirements. Using regular PC benchmark software on can get a list of graphics card performance listings. it would be good to group graphics cards with similar performance eg GPU box RED 1

So if all games used a common Frames per second display algorithm which GFX card does one need to maintain minimum 24 FPS constant even during heavy multi sprite on screen action. One could say requires min cpu xxx and GPU Blue Level 5, or recommended GPU RED 6.

GPU RED 6 could be RadeonHD class of 2011 GFX cards.

EG: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6990M-Crossfire.58862.0.html

amigadave 
Posted on 26-Apr-2014 20:12:52
#7 ]

@number6

Thanks for jogging my memory regarding the release of FUSE & NTSF3 for AmigaOS in February. That was not too long ago, so it definitely counts as progress for AmigaOS in my book.

I would like to hear from the AmigaOS4.x Development Team leader, Steve Solie, more often, as he had indicated, or implied that it was his wish also to provide more frequent updates to what is going on behind the scenes with updates for AmigaOS4.x. I also thought it was his intent to release progress updates more often, as parts of the work on AmigaOS4.x were completed, and I believe that he has come through with updates 4.1.5 and 4.1.6. Should we expect a 4.1.7 within the next 2 to 4 months, or is the plan to now wait until 4.2 is ready for release?

It would be nice if they could give us an update on what is being worked on each quarter of the year. What has been completed, what is currently being beta tested, and if they feel inclined to let us know, what is proposed to be worked on in the next quarter of the year.

I think that all AmigaOS4.x users want to read about steady progress on parts of AmigaOS4.x. I would also like to see a list of who is included in the AmigaOS4.x Development Team, even if certain members are only able to work on their part of the project a few hours a week. We all know that most members can only work on AmigaOS part time, which is why progress is slower than it would be with a few dozen full time programmers, so I don't have a problem with the pace of the team's progress. I just would like to hear from the team lead more often regarding progress toward the 4.2 release that all of us are eagerly awaiting.

@AmigaKit,

Thanks for that info, but I was specifically looking for updates to the OS itself. I think that progress reports from A-Eon and AmigaKit come often enough and it is clear that things are happening with your projects, but if you could also provide more info regarding the progress of the software projects A-Eon are backing, or funding, that would also be greatly appreciated. I think all AmigaOS4.x users are eager to hear about progress and eventually use the Libre Office software, when it is ready for release, as well as your other software projects.

Edit: As I was typing the above, Hyperion posted a reply to this thread. Thank you for that info and for posting here, as I know that you don't use this forum often. I look forward to your future news releases of further progress on AmigaOS4.x and good luck with all your work. I appreciate the dedication it takes to keep working on this project, in the face of small, or zero return of investment.

I hope that someday you will figure out a way to significantly grow the user base for AmigaOS4.x from a few hundred, to a few thousand, so that there will be enough users to compensate you with license and update fees, plus provide more of an incentive for commercial development, though I know that we will probably never have a large enough user base to create a REAL WORLD market for commercial software development.

Last edited by amigadave on 26-Apr-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Rob 
Posted on 26-Apr-2014 20:17:51
#8 ]
Elite Member

@Hyperionmp

Quote:
Just a tidbit: AmigaOS 4.1 now has a mechanism to use more than 4 GB of memory but can make good use of essentially all physical memory available (i.e. the limit imposed by the 32 bit limit was circumvented).

That's good news. I can put the 4GB back in my X1000 at some point then.

Rob 
Posted on 26-Apr-2014 20:21:19
#9 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

Look forward to seeing what products you have on AmiStore.

pavlor 
Posted on 26-Apr-2014 20:33:31
#10 ]
Elite Member

@Hyperionmp

Quote:
AmigaOS 4.1 now has a mechanism to use more than 4 GB of memory but can make good use of essentially all physical memory available (i.e. the limit imposed by the 32 bit limit was circumvented).

Great! Will be this feature released for 4.1 users or it is part of future 4.2 release?

pavlor 
Posted on 26-Apr-2014 20:34:22
#11 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

AMIStore looks good!

Hyperionmp 
Posted on 26-Apr-2014 21:10:53
#12 ]
Hyperion

@amigadave

I can assure you that on the basis of registration of AmigaOS 4.x copies available to us, the userbase is already in the low thousands.

Our aim is to hike it up to at least around 7000 to 10.000 in the course of the next 3 years.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 26-Apr-2014 21:31:52
#13 ]
Cult Member

@number6
Quote:

FUSE and NTFS for AmigaOS on February 10

Ah, my apologies - completely forgot about that.

Drako 
Posted on 26-Apr-2014 21:42:38
#14 ]

@Hyperionmp

If you get another 1000 -2000 user in next 4 years it will be success

AmiParty Team Member -> http://chal.pl

pavlor 
Posted on 26-Apr-2014 21:45:11
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Hyperionmp

Quote:
Our aim is to hike it up to at least around 7000 to 10.000 in the course of the next 3 years.

Good luck!

That would certainly need more affordable and more portable solution.

BigD 
Posted on 26-Apr-2014 22:31:41
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Hyperionmp

The AmiStore will definitely help. A high end AmigaOne machine for around £1500 or less would nail it. Marketing would obviously help but I understand 'word of mouth' through the community is realistically the only way you'll boost the numbers with the current Amiga revenue streams.

marko 
Posted on 26-Apr-2014 23:03:52
#17 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

@Hyperionmp

Quote:

For the upcoming Cyrus this means that e.g. 16 GB of memory can be put to good use.

Very good ...

Last edited by marko on 27-Apr-2014 at 12:07 AM.

m4rko.com/AMIGA

marko 
Posted on 26-Apr-2014 23:10:56
#18 ]

@Hyperionmp

Quote:

Those numbers would be very nice and welcomed for "our" OS4. I hope you (or/and we) succeeds with that effort.

But that's the right spirit anyway

m4rko.com/AMIGA

marko 
Posted on 26-Apr-2014 23:12:43
#19 ]

@amigakit

AMIStore looks pretty good, thanks for the screenshots

Last edited by marko on 26-Apr-2014 at 11:19 PM.

m4rko.com/AMIGA

Nagasakee 
Posted on 26-Apr-2014 23:43:14
#20 ]

@Hyperionmp

That's excellent news! I had alsways thought about 500-1000 users, so you've more successful than many of us gave you credit for. The > 2 gig memory limit enhancement is also very welcome news..

I'm looking forward to the Amistore, but my top hope is for LibreOffice. Does anyone know if they'll be a public request for beta-testers that we can register for?

Last edited by Nagasakee on 26-Apr-2014 at 11:58 PM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle