Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 100 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

Rob,  zipper,  Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  4 secs ago
 Rob:  18 secs ago
 Gunnar:  3 mins ago
 amigakit:  56 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 Comi:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 vox:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 BigD:  3 hrs 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Any progress updates for AmigaOS4.x???
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
Thorham 
Re: Any progress updates for AmigaOS4.x???
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 7:46:14
#81 ]

@Hyperionmp

Somehow I doubt that, because for many people the whole point of the Amiga hobby is the classic hardware. For people who use classic exclusively for gaming, next gen is pointless, because next gen does that through emulation and they already have a pc that can do that.

Note that this isn't about how next gen sux and classic is teh r0x0rz, I was only responding to this:

Quote:
If you can get a higher take up within the community itself - classic upgraders who have never owned a next gen Amiga - this will go a long way in stimulating sales and business, and thus helping commercial developers to take a renewed interest in the platform.

Last edited by Thorham on 28-Apr-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
asymetrix 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 8:10:41
#82 ]
Cult Member

@KimmoK

Please be realistic, as I see it. Amiga had a chipset and all documentation was based off that, all games and programming languages used it, for example Amos pro was great to make simple games, Blitz basic for apps.

Without it there is a void, nothing in 20 years for creating compatible games across Amiga systems.

There is no Amos Pro with 1080p /24bit GFX support. Amiblitz for PPC ?

We dont have a portable assembler to fuse processors and no API/GFX to merge systems. Can you imagine what can be achieved if we had online API documentation one can cross reference compatibility with OS4/OS3/AROS etc.

Portable assembler with OpenGL/GPU commands.

GUI interoperability, GUI creator like visual studio

Amiga Prefs XML for skinning or theme building

Users want to explore the systems they have, hit hardware metal. GPU nowadays fo r effects etc.

Amiga has so many programming languages but excelled in none :(.

The only thing to save Amiga now is Developers with inspiration to create something no other platform has, to be the best at one single thing. Features to blow people away. Having FUSE is an example to future proof the OS for many years.

we want to be thinking 50+ years ahead of everyone else!

Also Developer friendly and discounted systems, promoted in PC shows.

We need LibraOffice
Visual Studio
Vector magic / Inkscape
XML software
Games development suite

Think about how the drag'n' drop of plugins work on Firefox / Chrome, then try make tools that have that ability instantly.

Once Any app can have 'plugin' capability by simple header file, the app can announce ' I can do this' service.

So what we want is if someone writes a fantastic 'grammar tool' to text any program can use it like the datatype system, but enhanced to incorporate GUI widgets,panels, shortcuts etc.

So if i have a vector program and another paint program I could request feature of the vector program to be incorporated into the current program, like MS Object link and Embedding.

Thorham 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 9:35:19
#83 ]

Quote:
asymetrix wrote:

Classic has assembly language. With that, who needs anything else?

tlosm 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 10:30:12
#84 ]
Elite Member

@asymetrix

Visual Studio i think will be difficult have on AmigaOS :P

But i think a homebrew system or fink can be more simple to ports like all the link library plus we have the Qt system with Qt designer :P

Games development suite: AmiDark engine and Holliwood ... Modern3D Games will be only when we will have Shaders and Gallium3D .

Unity Engine will be possible only when we will have (Gallium3d) and this can be possible only if Aeon-Hyperion will make a partnership with Unity ... why i think this? because for unity make a port of the Engine/WebEngine on amigaOs will be not realistic amiga market is too small for make this huge application to be ported.
SDL are already on AmigaOS.
Blender is Already on AmigaOs ;)

Last edited by tlosm on 28-Apr-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Last edited by tlosm on 28-Apr-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Last edited by tlosm on 28-Apr-2014 at 10:35 AM.

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Tomas 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 10:40:42
#85 ]
Elite Member

@Thorham

Quote:

Thorham wrote:
Quote:
asymetrix wrote:

Classic has assembly language. With that, who needs anything else?

And how many coders do we have left that actually have the skill and time to use it?? Beside the demoscene i dont really see much going on.
If we had basic like language like amos was then nearly everyone could try making games.
Something similar to gamemaker could have been perfect for a platform that has little to no coders left. It would result in alot of crappy games but also a few gems here and there.

Overflow 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 11:16:46
#86 ]

@Thorham

Im a so-called "enduser" with very limited programming knowledge, so Im entering a discussion I have no expirience with.

But will assembly language help the developer on the AOS4/NG make enough money to support their time spent? Assembly is hardware spesific, so a "higher level" language is needed (I would assume) with the tools available to support the ease of porting to xyz OS platform.

Lately AOS4 have had developers release games that also are available on PC, Ipad/phone, android, morphos, aros etc. Bigger customer impact, and that would in turn increase the chance of said developer
to be able to justify continued support for AO4/NG.

Hopefully the increase of cross platform released coupled with Amistore APP will help, if even just a little....or?

On the Classic that doesnt matter as much Id say. I dont see myself ever using the A1200 for much other than nostalgica when I have my LAN parties with my old real life friends.

Last edited by Overflow on 28-Apr-2014 at 11:17 AM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 11:21:26
#87 ]
Elite Member

@Thorham

Quote:
Somehow I doubt that, because for many people the whole point of the Amiga hobby is the classic hardware. For people who use classic exclusively for gaming, next gen is pointless, because next gen does that through emulation and they already have a pc that can do that.

The problem is that demo makers are using AGA, even if RTG is faster on classic hardware, this makes transition from AGA to RTG harder, because AGA is slowest thing you can emulate and to do it perfect you need EUAE.

I also I feel that many people who has upgraded there classic hardware whit RTG card, really do not get to use the cards they have spent cash buying.

Its question of needing AGA, because AGA is used, sorry NG user you can't run this nicely because its AGA, sorry Cybervison64 and other people whit graphic cards, the demos you are seeing are running slower then it can on your system, but we the classic demo makes want let you see how its going to run whit RTG.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 28-Apr-2014 at 02:20 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 11:27:36
#88 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

Overflow your correct assembly language is not for every one, its easy to make mistakes, do bad things, and its not standard, every processor type has its own assembly language. It's cryptic its hard to understand whit out comments and vell defined labels, and defines, and it lacks preprocessing.

Its also not a argument for classic Amiga, you can do assembly on AmigaOS4 too, even classic MC680x0 assembly if you most.

http://lifeofliveforit.blogspot.no/2012/12/680x0-development-enviroment-on.html

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 28-Apr-2014 at 11:30 AM.

amigadave 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 11:33:27
#89 ]

@Thread,

Please stop the off topic discussions and start your own thread if you have no comments that are relevant to the topic of this thread. Even if you are replying to a direct quote from someone in this thread, it does not mean you have free reign to place your own off topic rants here. Copy and paste the original quotes into your own new thread.

A small amount of off topic wandering is always expected and tolerated, but the last two pages here have been getting further and further off topic, and more useless ranting opinions or arguments based on emotional feelings instead of facts.

Please refrain from these types of replies, or as I stated, begin your own new thread to express your off topic opinions and emotional feelings.

Thank you for your cooperation and adherence to TOS in regard to following posting guidelines.

Last edited by amigadave on 28-Apr-2014 at 11:34 AM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 11:46:52
#90 ]
Elite Member

@asymetrix

Quote:
We need LibraOffice

Agree.

Quote:
Visual Studio

Agree, but some one has to make a Amiga like program, codebench comes to mind, but I do not thing its as advanced, an advanced text editor like SubLime2 might also be useful.

Quote:
Vector magic / Inkscape

I don't use anything like that.

Quote:
XML software

We have a XML editor, but really you don't need editor change a XML file, just a good text editor.
I belive we have libXML so from software side its not issue if you like to use it.

The thing here is that developers on AmigaOS, often use IFF format, because that's what hey always used. Some how don't like the IFF format often make here own config files maybe some thing that looks like INI files.

Quote:
Games development suite

Yes, even the best games on PC are created using game development suites, creating a advanced game from 0 is really too hard for most.

I add one more to the list:

As developer one big problem is the lack of UTF8 support to display text, anyone who write a custom GUI, and need to support international languages. Most write there own routine to display international languages, thats counterproductive.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 09-May-2014 at 12:55 PM.

cymru 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 12:17:55
#91 ]

@amigadave

Praise the Lord!

Folks, please let the thread topic set the boundaries of the discussion so that those of us (not interested in trash-talk) can learn something helpful.

Yo 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 13:04:10
#92 ]
Team Member

@thread

As usual, it amazes me the depth of the knowledge base here on this Forum. Thank you to those of you who are choosing to be constructive with this knowledge.

Please DO continue, on topic.

(No, I didn't type that with a straight face.)

Vistaus 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 18:04:18
#93 ]

@tlosm

Regarding Unity: wrong. Unity Engine added Linux support last year and how big is Linux marketshare? Not big. And it also didn't require any partnership, they decided to add Linux support because Linux people were asking for it.

So I wouldn't be surprised if they'd add AmigaOS4 support after Gallium3D has been added.

Edit: oh, I'm sorry, I just saw that I need to stay on topic. Never mind this post then.

Last edited by Vistaus on 28-Apr-2014 at 06:11 PM.

tlosm 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 19:39:22
#94 ]
Elite Member

@Vistaus

Just for stay in topic : im pretty sure the Linux users are about 3000(amigaos user)X100.000 ;)
In any case amigaos is continuing go because thru amiupdate i fonund upgrades and improvemnets and im pretty sure soon we Will have great news ;)

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Vistaus 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 20:28:09
#95 ]

It would be nice to have a probable ETA for OS4.2 I mean: it doesn't have to be set in stone or anything, but something like "We don't give any guarantees, but *we* as Hyperion try to aim for -insert a month or quarter here-".

:)

tlosm 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 21:41:09
#96 ]
Elite Member

@Vistaus

AmigaOs 4,2 eta milestones = when it is done ;)

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Daedalus 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 22:17:07
#97 ]

@Vistaus

Unfortunately when even vague timelines have been given in the past, they have been used in a negative way against the developers and sometimes even the users. So the default policy of Hyperion is now to not even give "maybe" deadlines. And unfortunately, due to those few-but-loud who choose to be negative like that, it is probably the only sensible option for them.

I'm quite happy to leave it going as it is until 4.2 is good and ready. In the meantime we're still getting regular free updates, some of which are quite significant, and this shows that there's still plenty of work going on behind the scenes.

Tomas 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 23:00:52
#98 ]
Elite Member

@Vistaus

Quote:

Vistaus wrote:
It would be nice to have a probable ETA for OS4.2 I mean: it doesn't have to be set in stone or anything, but something like "We don't give any guarantees, but *we* as Hyperion try to aim for -insert a month or quarter here-".

:)

Or even just more progress updates like how far certain features are from being completed.

retro 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 23:33:12
#99 ]

c# and a visuael studio would be awsome.
but i dont think visual studio is posible. but codebench locks nice or ??

Spirantho 
Posted on 29-Apr-2014 6:18:32
#100 ]

@Tomas

It can't work like that, though. If they say it's nearly ready, people think it's about to come out... but sometimes the last niggling bugs can take a VERY long time to iron out. It's better to not say how far off release something is at all, than to tell people it's 90% done, but then find that the last 10% takes another year.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle