Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 145 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  1 min ago
 amigakit:  21 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  23 mins ago
 pixie:  44 mins ago
 BigD:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 AndreasM:  2 hrs 47 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 48 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 54 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 19 mins ago
 Swisso:  3 hrs 23 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  Epsilon's Classic Amiga Blog
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Epsilon 
Re: Epsilon's Classic Amiga Blog
Posted on 6-May-2014 13:29:21
#21 ]

Hi All,

I have now setup a wireless network card (and network/internet access) from my Amiga 600 as part of the upgrade I am working on.

I have detailed the process in my blog.

Link is here:

http://classicamiga.blogspot.com.au/2014/05/wireless-network-card-on-a600.html

Please enjoy!

Catcha,
Epsilon

Profile     Report this post  
Epsilon 
Posted on 10-May-2014 16:25:41
#22 ]

Hi All,

I just got my CDTV this week, and wrote a blog post about it on my Classic Amiga blog with plenty of pictures.

Link is here:

http://classicamiga.blogspot.com.au/2014/05/my-cdtv-has-arrived.html

I hope it is interesting, especially if you haven't used a CDTV before (it is the first time for me to own one!)

Catcha,
Epsilon

noXLar 
Posted on 10-May-2014 19:02:03
#23 ]
Cult Member

@Epsilon

very good blog, it was carefully explained how to make things and work. I've been playing with my new /old) A1200 and had the Classic WB (OS3.9) work on my machine, but I think I have to start over since bootable workbench was called DH1. so it would be cool if you could create a blog for example setting up a hard drive from a HDF from WinUAE and boot to the original Amiga. i do have ACA 030, USB (only mouse) pcmcia wifi & 4gb disk, and also the Indivision AGA MK2 1200. i bought one of thos CF cards 4gb for booting, but now i have change it to a 60gb hd, making 2gb for WB. just a question, what is the fastest drives? 2.5" or CF Card?

Thanks again for your blogs, I will install wifi on A1200 and follow your blog carefully

Epsilon 
Posted on 7-Jun-2014 16:00:22
#24 ]

Hi All,

I have updated my blog with the installation and setup of an AmigaKit supplied CF Card with AmigaOS3.1 on my Amiga 600.

There will be a multi-part blog covering the setup of this CF card - there is a lot of work still to do!

Link is here:

http://classicamiga.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/amiga-600-cf-amigaos-setup-part-1.html

I hope it is interesting!

Catcha,
Epsilon

noXLar 
Posted on 8-Jun-2014 14:21:14
#25 ]
Cult Member

@Epsilon

thank you, was looking for something like this.

but if i could make an reguest, have you tested this packages?

Classic Workbench

it works here, but i'm not sure i got it right, did the OS3.9 setup.
It would be great to have your blog to see "how to do it" i'm sure new/old amigans and newbies would see it very useful.

anyway thanks for your blogs :)

Epsilon 
Posted on 12-Jun-2014 7:19:35
#26 ]

@noXLar

Interesting - I have heard of ClassicWB but I haven't tried that yet. Might have to tackle that as a separate build though - I am doing a build of AmigaOS3.1 from the ground up on the Amiga 600, without relying on pre-configured builds which I know are around, or using AmigaOS3.9 which shortcuts a lot of this work.

Hopefully it will show the value of these pre-configured builds in the work they reduce in setting up a Classic Amiga, but for people who want to build from the ground up like me they can see how to do it! Besides, doing the build from the ground up is good fun

Catcha,
Epsilon

Epsilon 
Posted on 12-Jun-2014 7:21:35
#27 ]

Hi All,

I have written part 2 of my blog entry covering the installation of AmigaOS3.1 on CF Card on my Amiga 600.

Link is here:

http://classicamiga.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/amiga-600-cf-amigaos-setup-part-2.html

I hope you enjoy it - this one took quite a while to do! More parts to come

Catcha,
Epsilon

Epsilon 
Posted on 28-Jun-2014 14:33:13
#28 ]

Hi All,

I have written part 3 of my blog entry covering the installation of AmigaOS3.1 on CF Card on my Amiga 600.

Link is here:

http://classicamiga.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/amiga-600-cf-amigaos-setup-part-3.html

I hope you enjoy it! More parts to come!

Catcha,
Epsilon

Boot_WB 
Posted on 28-Jun-2014 14:46:40
#29 ]

Oopsie, wrong box.

Last edited by Boot_WB on 28-Jun-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Last edited by Boot_WB on 28-Jun-2014 at 02:47 PM.

amigakit 
Posted on 28-Jun-2014 15:01:33
#30 ]
Amiga Kit

@Epsilon

Please PMAIL me with your EasyNet serial number and I will send you latest update to EasyNet

Thanks.

Epsilon 
Posted on 28-Jun-2014 15:21:32
#31 ]

@amigakit

PM Sent.

Catcha,
Epsilon

Dandy 
Posted on 2-Jul-2014 7:59:44
#32 ]
Elite Member

@Epsilon

Quote:

Epsilon wrote:
Hi All,

I decided to start a separate blog ... to focus on Classic Amiga hardware (and software).

To start with I am starting work on a new project to upgrade an Amiga 600.

Hmmm - on amiga-news.de someone found a very nice video about how kids react on old computers...

Dandy

Epsilon 
Posted on 2-Jul-2014 12:47:10
#33 ]

@Dandy

Yeah I have already seen that one - it was quite funny.

@all

On the Classic Amiga and YouTube topic, for those interested, I have uploaded a YouTube video of the AGA demo "Terminal" I worked on with the demo group The Experience I formed in Adelaide back in 1997.

This demo was released at Remedy 1998 demo party for Amiga 1200 AGA with 68030 Processor needed.

Some of the effects don't work too well in UAE so I uploaded this video taken from a real Amiga 1200 many years ago, so I would always have a video that allowed me to watch it how it was originally intended. It was written in 100% Assembler, as most demos were back then.

Link is here:

http://youtu.be/Xo_mrZe2Xns

And yes, we were not very good and the demo reflects that, but as a group we were all uni students back then and we tried our best - we were happy with it! The glowing edges on the 3d shapes near the end was a first (that we knew of back then) for a demo on the Amiga. It finished 4th at Remedy 1998.

You can download the original Amiga demo on Aminet.net if you are really keen to run it on original Amiga hardware. I was surprised to see it was still there from all those years ago:

http://aminet.net/package/demo/aga/exp_term

The original module I composed for the intro is still available on Aminet:

http://aminet.net/package/mods/demo/term_int

Catcha,
Epsilon

KimmoK 
Posted on 2-Jul-2014 13:07:40
#34 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

"nice video about how kids react on old computers..."

Oh. Now I remember why they made Amiga.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Xmas87 
Posted on 2-Jul-2014 14:44:56
#35 ]

@Epsilon

Nice demo. You seem pretty good to me!
Any other Experience members still Amigans?

Simple website though ;) http://web.archive.org/web/20060221133811/http://surf.to/theexperience/

Last edited by Xmas87 on 02-Jul-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Epsilon 
Posted on 3-Jul-2014 8:45:56
#36 ]

@Xmas87

Yeah, I know the website was simple. Have to remember that websites back then were never that great! We did the graphics on Amiga, and we were editing html on Amiga and an labtam x terminal at uni cs labs with a greyscale screen (tested with Lynx(!), Mosaic and Netscape) so there were limits to what we could do...

Actually, apart from Mesh the rest of the members are still in Adelaide. Actually I have no idea where Mesh is anymore!

traksion still has his A1200, I helped him to rebuild it a few years back but he doesn't use it much these days. The rest (Axon, Dave) sold their A1200 Amigas and moved on to PC long time ago and didn't look back unfortunately.

Catcha,
Epsilon

Overflow 
Posted on 4-Jul-2014 11:56:28
#37 ]

@Epsilon

You seem like a Classic amiga wizard when it comes to troubleshooting, so Im going the helpless/lazy route and link my thread on amiga.org;

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?p=768188#post768188

I guess there are ways to use the wireless card and the basic floppy Easynet program to get connected with the PC network.

Since I havent used amiga since the 90s for anything but listen to music I have close to zero knowledge left about how to use it. Also since I installed a CF from Amigakit with a clean install of workbench 3, I have just barebone WB, Easynet and Dopus 4 installed

Anyhow, going out for the day, and will try mucking around with the Amiga 1200 wireless/network setup tomorrow sometime. Learning by doing, failing and eventually succeeding :)

The indivision+CF upgrade is brilliant, so Im not giving up on this project for sure.
I do start to wonder if I should splash out for USB or CD rom drive. USB seems like the best option since its usable for so many things these days.

Also, since it seems like my PC floppy drives are all dead (not have had any use for them for years), my original plan of using Cross Dos might fall flat on its face)

Oh, and great blog!

Last edited by Overflow on 04-Jul-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Last edited by Overflow on 04-Jul-2014 at 11:59 AM.

Epsilon 
Posted on 4-Jul-2014 12:43:17
#38 ]

@Overflow

Interesting to read about your A1200 project!

For me, the easiest way to get the EasyNet CD contents on to your CF Card is to mount the CF Card using WinUAE (included with Amiga Forever) on your PC.

You can then mount the cd drive on the pc into the WinUAE session to copy the files from the CD to the CF Card. Just remember to create an assign EasyNet: to the folder location you copied the files to on the CF Card before installing it.

(You can also ftp the files using AmiFTP by setting up a suitable FTP server on your PC. I recommend zipping the files to a single archive on the PC, then transfer and expand the zip archive on the Amiga - unzip on Aminet too)

I don't use DOpus 4 - I recommend using DOpus 5.9, since it is the latest version released in 2014. You can download the stable release from dopus5.org. Direct link to the OS3 version is

http://dopus5.org/downloads/stable/Dopus5_90_os3.lha

USB is worth the upgrade. Don't bother with CDROM. You can convert CD's to ISO's and mount them as virtual discs using DiskImageGUI (available on Aminet) when you need to use a CD from a USB hard disk. It makes transferring files a breeze and you won't need the floppy drive either since you can transfer and use the ADF's via USB too.

Keeping in mind limited storage on the CF card and the filename size limitations of the AmigaKit provided FFS partitions, using a USB hard disk or flash drive with the fat95 driver (from Aminet) will get around the space and filename length limitations.

You can also use FTP with your wireless network of course, using something like AmiFTP for example.

http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/AmiFTP

There is plenty more too but dinner has just been called - gotta run. Good luck!

Catcha,
Epsilon

Overflow 
Posted on 6-Jul-2014 11:21:07
#39 ]

@Epsilon

Thanks for the info

Was looking at the options, but Im lacking a CF reader for my PC and overall I concluded that instead of jumping thru all kinds of hoops to get these things working as they should I went ahead and ordered a CD-ROM+WB 3.9 CD from Vesalia.
I have tons of old CDs from the 90s that has been stored carefully, and regardless I enjoy having access to the OS in a good format incase something happens with the floppies/floppy drive (WB3.0).

I might not use the CDrom much when I get my A1200 up and running 100%, but at the end of it all, its very cheap.

I was looking at Amigakit's site and their USB solution seems to be out of stock TBA etc, but I'll see how needed it is. Being a neatfreak/minimalistic design fan I am considering putting the A1200 away in one of the rooms in my rather large desk, with a USB/PS2 keyboard adapter.

Last edited by Overflow on 06-Jul-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Epsilon 
Posted on 11-Jul-2014 16:37:59
#40 ]

Hi All,

I have written a new entry on my Classic Amiga blog looking at the Gotek floppy drive emulator installed on my Amiga 600.

Link is here:

http://classicamiga.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/gotek-floppy-drive-emulator-in-amiga-600.html

I hope you enjoy it.

Catcha,
Epsilon

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle