Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 58 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  25 mins ago
 Gunnar:  29 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  55 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 56 mins ago
 eliyahu:  3 hrs 38 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 40 mins ago
 Marcian:  4 hrs 45 mins ago
 michalsc:  4 hrs 46 mins ago
 vox:  6 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  AmiWest - October 24-26, 2014
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
SACC-dude 
Re: AmiWest - October 24-26, 2014
Posted on 16-Sep-2014 16:15:56
#41 ]

@OlafS25

No, it's that we knew so little, we didn't know what to ask.
What I think you don't see is that "users" need something to get them started. And then need more!

You experts always forget... users don't know what you know!

I listened to Jason very carefully, I listened to AmigaDave very carefully...
and I'm still had issues.

Attending any amiga gathering always helps, always saying if it costs don't go is near sighted. IMO.
I pay and help others amiga folks because I want to help, it makes friends, and I learn from their questions.

AmigaDave came to AmigaWest over and over again, NOW we (SACC) has some morph users (still learning).

Michael

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 16-Sep-2014 16:28:46
#42 ]
Elite Member

@SACC-dude

I do not know... I had a lot of discussions recently and I have the impression that everyone has his platform he uses and he is interested in and I am not sure if most people are really interested in other camps. The audience on amiwest is a little older and from what I see here with people in that age they do not change their behavior or attitudes easily and their favorite is obviously AmigaOS. For a european the expenses (including flight) are too high and most AROS or MorphOS devs are from europe (as far as I see it). For Hyperion and A-eon it is the perfect audience, For the seminar it is the perfect audience too. If someone would do a AROS or MorphOS seminar it would be a waste of money. Here in europe there are similar meetings that are exactly the other way around.

My personal view is that marketing anyway should be done where you find the most potential new users and that is outside from community meetings. In the community everyone has already decided what to use and people are informing them on the different portals.

Perhaps Jason was too technical for a audience that has not much contact to AROS. We propably all need a marketing department :).

Last edited by OlafS25 on 16-Sep-2014 at 04:30 PM.

SACC-dude 
Posted on 16-Sep-2014 16:49:21
#43 ]

@OlafS25

I could refute each point...
i.e. I and others all have some kind of pc (win/intel) mac too, amiga (of course)
in other words we use lots of things from all the camps

Yes, I feel old (thanks) (grin).

Sacramento is just an hour to two from where the amiga was born, Los Gatos, then it moved 3000 miles. Commodore. Then it moved to the UK, Escom, now then who knows?

It not necessary for the eu guys to come. Get some locals (California?) up to speed and they can visit and share.

When I travel, I enjoy it.

BTW, it's not marketing for AmiWest, (no profit involved) it's just sharing person to person.

M

Last edited by SACC-dude on 16-Sep-2014 at 04:50 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 16-Sep-2014 16:56:55
#44 ]
Elite Member

@SACC-dude

I am from europe so for me it would be a little far :)

Terminills is from USA, I do not know if there are others. If someone wants to attend anyway why not showing something (additional expenses certainly would not be the problem). Attending for having fun no problem :), attending for winning new users not realistic. I do not know what the motivation of Terminills was to sponsor the event.

I do not know any AROS user from california (nice state BTW :) )

Last edited by OlafS25 on 16-Sep-2014 at 04:57 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 16-Sep-2014 17:01:11
#45 ]
Elite Member

@SACC-dude

BTW I did not want to insult you :) old man are wise (mostly :) )

it was only very obvious on pictures that the average age on the event is relativ high (compared to many european mettings)

SACC-dude 
Posted on 16-Sep-2014 17:04:42
#46 ]

@OlafS25

I'm not sure, but I would be glad for a classic programming event. (I think that's what he wanted)

But SACC and I invite any and all to share the AmiVerse. Maybe some food and a beer or two too.

M

Last edited by SACC-dude on 16-Sep-2014 at 11:27 PM.

ssolie 
Posted on 16-Sep-2014 17:11:33
#47 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25
Quote:
I do not know any AROS user from california (nice state BTW :) )

I'd like to point that by not actively participating in AmiWest you are helping to ensure that situation will not change...

There seems to be a lot of self-fulfilling prophecy going around. I prefer to just attend the show, demonstrate stuff I'm interested in and have some fun. And no, I'm not that old.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 16-Sep-2014 17:28:24
#48 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
at least from what I see from a number of projects that support for AmigaOS 4.X becomes increasingly complicated resulting in no support for AmigaOS. That is not because of bad attititude by developers but by the changes that are made. On the long run (even with good attitude) it will harm AmigaOS at the end.

I'm not sure you are making sense, programs made for latest version of AmigaOS, not supporting a older version of AmigaOS, I don't see the problem way should anyone wont run a older version anyway to try to make it run on old hardware that is too slow to do what modern hardware can do with ease?

The nature of all open source projects is that every one can contribute, so if some one like to back port some thing they can do that if they like.

For closed sourced projects to support other or older operating systems there most be a market to support, or there most be interest to do so. Is some one willing to pay for work to back port something?

The question then becomes does the hardware in question meet the minimum specifications, if the hardware does not have AltiVec or does not have Composition or does not have x,y,z, is it wort implementing in software fallback mode, and will it be fast enough?

There are lots of cross platform libraries that can be use, like SDL and Allegro, that provided every thing you need to make a games. And also C++ has lot standard libraires that can be used instead of DOS.library/Exec.library and so on, if you are lazy and just wont some thing to work.

In many cases you are forced to use C++ libs instead of OS libraries, take OGG audio files for example there is no datatype to load it. So you most use the C++ libs even if did not want to.

And as I have been telling you over and over again, if you wont to support wide range of operating system, you can do that by spiting the project in to objects, so it not just big chunk of code.

There is also the preprocessor that handles #if and #else #endif and so on.

Take mplayer for example it compiles on Linux, Windows, MacOSX, AmigaOS, MorphOS, BeOS, BSD and many more operating systems, this takes to preprocessor and build system.

Many operating systems have little in common yet the same program can be compiled for many targets.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Sep-2014 at 02:17 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 16-Sep-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 16-Sep-2014 at 05:36 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 16-Sep-2014 17:58:15
#49 ]
Elite Member

"Removed because its getting off topic, and because personal views are irrelevant anyways in this topic."

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Sep-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Sep-2014 at 12:41 AM.

saimon69 
Posted on 16-Sep-2014 18:36:13
#50 ]

@OlafS25

Well am in Los Angeles and AROS advocate pity budget constraints does not allow me to fly in Sacramento :(

wawa 
Posted on 16-Sep-2014 19:39:21
#51 ]
Elite Member

@ssolie

Quote:
I'd like to point that by not actively participating in AmiWest you are helping to ensure that situation will not change...

There seems to be a lot of self-fulfilling prophecy going around. I prefer to just attend the show, demonstrate stuff I'm interested in and have some fun. And no, I'm not that old.

ah. its again us naysayers responsible for all the predicted misfortunes. how convenient.

wawa 
Posted on 16-Sep-2014 19:41:33
#52 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
@OlafS25

As I see it back porting is taking time from developing new features and improving software, if Olsen did not spend time on back porting roadshow to 68k, we might have IPv6 support now on AmigaOS4, back porting is stupid wast of time.

why dont you tell him that in person?

Amigo1 
Posted on 16-Sep-2014 19:49:35
#53 ]

@ssolie

I really would like to attend the show, but unfortunately I have some other commitment right during that time frame. I really hope for another chance to attend next year!
Thanks to all involved for making all this possible!

amigadave 
Posted on 16-Sep-2014 19:51:13
#54 ]

@saimon69

Quote:

saimon69 wrote:
@OlafS25

Well am in Los Angeles and AROS advocate pity budget constraints does not allow me to fly in Sacramento :(

I flew from Ontario, CA to Sacramento, CA last week for only $54.00 on Southwest Airlines. I am sure that the cost of the flight from LAX is the same or even less, if you buy your ticket far enough in advance and don't fly on Friday, or the weekend. The cheapest days to fly appear to be Tuesday & Wednesday.

With flights that cheap, it does not make sense to drive, as the gasoline cost would be higher than the flight.

I will be driving to Sacramento for the 2014 AmiWest Show, because I will be taking a bunch of Amiga and MorphOS gear to the show to display and to sell, so if you want to share half of the gasoline cost, you can go with me. I will even pick you up at your home near Los Angeles, even though it would be slightly out of my way and add an hour or two to my drive.

Let me know if you want to accept my offer for the ride to AmiWest.

SACC-dude 
Posted on 16-Sep-2014 21:46:32
#55 ]

@OlafS25
"I'm old, but I'm happy" Cat Stevens...dating myself even more

Yep, it takes us old guys with the disposable income you make you app makers rich! (big grin)

BTW, no insult taken.

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@SACC-dude

BTW I did not want to insult you :) old man are wise (mostly :) )

it was only very obvious on pictures that the average age on the event is relativ high (compared to many european mettings)

SACC-dude 
Posted on 16-Sep-2014 21:47:44
#56 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

What does this have to do with AmiWest and my invite to all amiga types?

SACC-dude 
Posted on 16-Sep-2014 21:49:13
#57 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Is this related to the thread?

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@OlafS25

As I see it back porting is taking time from developing new features and improving software, if Olsen did not spend time on back porting roadshow to 68k, we might have IPv6 support now on AmigaOS4, back porting is stupid wast of time.

OlafS25 
Posted on 16-Sep-2014 22:08:08
#58 ]
Elite Member

I take my answer out to Nuts... because it is not related to thread

Last edited by OlafS25 on 16-Sep-2014 at 10:09 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 16-Sep-2014 22:11:45
#59 ]
Elite Member

@SACC-dude

LOL

It is difficult to attend for most europeans and too expensive. Would it be possible to make a kind of video-presentation using Skype or similar?

wawa 
Posted on 16-Sep-2014 22:18:15
#60 ]
Elite Member

@SACC-dude

Quote:
No, it's that we knew so little, we didn't know what to ask.

but then did that wake your interest for aros? i bet, no. at the same time everybody can download and check it out for free and with no hassle.

okay, installing aros68k and trying it out on real hardware could present some hassle, but not under uae. especially that under uae, as on hosted versions, you wont have hardware incompatibility problems and will have the whole original amiga software pool at disposal, not only the aros apps.

Quote:
What I think you don't see is that "users" need something to get them started. And then need more!

i think the users need to be interested. thats all. thats what i was. i was and i still am interested almost solely in aros68k, not so much in other versions, not even in arix. i dont feel like i have to justify it to anyone, its just like it is. and i think similar applies to other users. they have some bias and it is useless to try to bend them off their shape.

Quote:
You experts always forget... users don't know what you know!

i doubt we are any more experts than you. we are simple users who wanted to contribute to something and found the way within the range of our abilities.

if amiwest remains mostly a gathering of os4 fans then so be it. why try to force anything on anybody?

Last edited by wawa on 16-Sep-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Last edited by wawa on 16-Sep-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle