Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 38 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 cdimauro:  6 mins ago
 Gunnar:  33 mins ago
 Hypex:  59 mins ago
 berylbruse:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 timothyferriss:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 Caspian:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 Hondo:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 AmiEnslaver:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 BrianHoskins:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 anchor:  1 hr 5 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Sound card suggestions for AmigaOne XE G4
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
DWolfman 
Sound card suggestions for AmigaOne XE G4
Posted on 15-Aug-2014 12:29:10
#1 ]

So, as I mentioned in my other thread, I've got my A1 working again, and seems stable so far. However, I was reminded why I had swapped the SB128 card for the SB Live one.

The SB128 card has a crackling/static sound that gradually gets worse as I'm playing any music, either with AmigaAMP or TuneNet.

The SB Live card plays fine, but it screws up the PCI configuration, taking over a lot of stuff and keeping the NEC USB card from getting enough resources to load properly.

Looks like I need to get a different sound card.

I've been looking at NewEgg, but it's looking like there's not much to choose from there. I see a couple CMI8738 cards that are supported by AHI in OS4. Anyone have any experience with those? I've looked through the compatible hardware page on Intuitionbase, and it looks like it should work, anyway.

Any other suggestions? I know Envy24 chipset cards are the best choice, but they seem to be not available unless I want to get a used card from someone.

Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Re: Sound card suggestions for AmigaOne XE G4
Posted on 15-Aug-2014 12:41:45
#2 ]
Elite Member

@DWolfman

Terratec Aureon 5.1 Fun and Sound Card summary

Good luck.

DWolfman 
Posted on 15-Aug-2014 17:57:00
#3 ]

@number6

Thanks, though I had seen that one from my earlier seaarches.

The biggest problem is there aren't too many cards out there made with those chipsets any more. At both NewEgg and Microcenter, there are only one or two cards available with the CMI8738 chipset. And searches for all the others come up empty.

Though I can get a CMI8738 card for about $10 to $11 at either place, so I might just get one and try it. I was kind of hoping some one might have another suggestion or place to get one from that won't cost much.

Last edited by DWolfman on 15-Aug-2014 at 06:23 PM.

lylehaze 
Posted on 15-Aug-2014 21:07:51
#4 ]

@DWolfman

CMI8738 cards were sent out with every X1000 before the onboard audio drivers were finished.
My experience with them was good. No problems noticed at all.

That also means that there should be a few laying around unused now that the builtin audio driver has been released.. not that $10 is a deal breaker anyway.

DWolfman 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 10:10:16
#5 ]

@lylehaze

Good to hear that. Looks like I'll be stopping by Microcenter on the way home next payday. $10, and all I pay is sales tax and don't have to wait for it to be shipped.

Hypex 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 11:05:10
#6 ]
Elite Member

@DWolfman

The SB Live is said to be bad this way and mess things up. However, today I've been testing an NEC USB2 card and found no problems. It replaced a VIA USB2 card where USB2 broke in software. But it took some shifting around as the VIA card was shorter and didn't interfere with the IDE cables on my 0680. Even so I tested it and yes indeed I get USB2 speeds without read errors or crashing.

DWolfman 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 11:43:47
#7 ]

@Hypex

Unfortunately for me, I found out over the weekend that it doesn't like my KVM.

It works for a few minutes, but then will hang the USB stack on the A1, in various ways depending on what I'm doing. So long as I don't have the KVM plugged in to the A1, I can plug devices in and use the USB just fine and for quite a while (left an external 2.5" enclosure with an old SSD plugged in for 24 hours once).

Anyway, since I've got it working, I'll want the CMI8738 to get good sound in place of the SB128 card. The SB Live worked great for sound, but it used up what looked like two or three interrupt lines and would not let the USB2 card properly initialize no matter which slots I plugged them in to.

So I'm hoping the CMI8738 card will work better in the same slot as the SB 128.

Deniil715 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 11:45:13
#8 ]
Elite Member

@DWolfman

Yes, I would stay away from any SB card on the XE. Any CMI8738 card should do fine, but do spend a buck extra and do not get the cheapest one. The X1000 came with the cheapest one and it sounds as crap as the built-in AC97 on some XEs. However, earlier I bought another CMI8738 card for a couple of bucks more to replace my SB Live and it sounds really good and have S/PDIF output. The difference is in the power supply to the CMI chip itself. The card should have a lot of capasitors (the small round cans).

Then of course there are the Terratecs.

tlosm 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 12:26:48
#9 ]
Elite Member

I had the Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Pci on my Xe and was working great

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

DWolfman 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 21:42:00
#10 ]

@Deniil715

Think I found the one to get. The MicroCenter one is about $5 less than at NewEgg. A little more than the first one, and it doesn't have a gameport that I won't need.

Plus, even though it doesn't say it on either page, at the SIIG page it says it is a CMI8738 chipset.

tonyw 
Posted on 19-Aug-2014 13:27:56
#11 ]
Elite Member

@DWolfman

An idea for some entrepreneurial soul in the US: get hold of half a dozen such cards and bring them along to AmiWest to flog to Cyrus owners (and would-be owners).

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Spectre660 
Posted on 19-Aug-2014 20:31:32
#12 ]
Elite Member

@tonyw

There are PCIex1 versions .
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1856

www.discountelectronics.com/product?gclid=CMnW7eqKoMACFQxp7AodFXUAkw&product_id=19286&product_model=121

Quote:

tonyw wrote:
@DWolfman

An idea for some entrepreneurial soul in the US: get hold of half a dozen such cards and bring them along to AmiWest to flog to Cyrus owners (and would-be owners).

Last edited by Spectre660 on 19-Aug-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Last edited by Spectre660 on 19-Aug-2014 at 08:50 PM.

DWolfman 
Posted on 8-Apr-2015 23:02:08
#13 ]

So, I'm revisiting my old thread.

Seems there is something odd about the CMI8738 card I did get. Fairly frequently any sounds starts with "static" for a split second before the real sound comes through (whether it is the system "beep" I have in Sounds prefs, or music playing through AmigaAMP). The static actually sounds like what happens to an audio card when you point it to some random location in RAM, as it's not pure static (sometimes sounds like it has structure, like it's reading a data array in memory). And there is a good chance that the more frequent it happens, it then will cause all AHI sounds to just quit happening.

When that happens the only way I've found to recover is to reboot the A1. It is odd that no error messages ever appear, and it seems to have stopped up the works. When I then try to play music in AmigaAMP it shows it is playing, but nothing else happens (no timer, visualization, etc). What is odd is it doesn't lock up AmigaAMP, as I can stop playing and exit without issues.

It's not limited to AmigaAMP, it's just the easiest to describe what is going on. I went back to the SB128 card, which is fairly limiting. For one if something is playing on it (a sound, music, etc) nothing else can get the AHI units until that is done. The CMI8738 was able to let multiple programs play at the same time.

So maybe I'll need to look for another card again.

BCP 
Posted on 8-Apr-2015 23:28:08
#14 ]

@DWolfman

In my XE g3 I used a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 card without any noticable problems. My XE was one the the ones that had the onboard AC97 installed. After the fix for that became available I stopped using the Sound Blaster. Both sounded ok to me with little reason to prefer one over the other. I think that my XE was one of the better more reliable ones, perhaps that was why the Sound Blaster appeared to be "ok".

You might check this link from IntuitionBase...

http://www.intuitionbase.com/comphard.php?category=3

The Terratec sound cards seem to be highly recommended.

Amiga Response Crew Users Group
Indianapolis, IN USA

busytech 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 2:11:38
#15 ]

I recently had to buy a new soundcard for my A1-XE(G3)

I found the following works with the Envy24 driver

Vantec 7.1 Channel PCI Sound Card (UGT-S100)

http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/455

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=40&item_id=038857

Last edited by busytech on 09-Apr-2015 at 02:12 AM.

Deniil715 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 11:45:17
#16 ]
Elite Member

@DWolfman

Quote:
It's not limited to AmigaAMP, it's just the easiest to describe what is going on. I went back to the SB128 card, which is fairly limiting. For one if something is playing on it (a sound, music, etc) nothing else can get the AHI units until that is done. The CMI8738 was able to let multiple programs play at the same time.

This is an AHI setting that should be independent on the driver. The number of channels for each AHI unit should be more than one, and if possible, try to make programs use a unit0-3 instead of the Music Unit.

But to fix your CMI problem, try the KeepAHIOpen tool. Can't remember now if I ever put it online or not... I can send it to you.

DWolfman 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 22:31:46
#17 ]

@Deniil715

You did put it online, found it here.

I'll switch back to the CMI card and try it with that.

Though I also found my nearby Microcenter store has the Vantec UGT-S100 card in stock as well. $20 isn't too bad, so I can give it a go too once I get paid again.

Last edited by DWolfman on 09-Apr-2015 at 10:33 PM.

DWolfman 
Posted on 15-Apr-2015 20:54:18
#18 ]

Well, back on the CMI8738 card, and all KeepAhiOpen does for me is make AmigaAMP say it cannot open the AHI interface.

Looks like I'll be getting that other card tomorrow on the way home to try out.

jabirulo 
Posted on 15-Apr-2015 22:42:01
#19 ]

@DWolfman

Use AmigaAMP_Prefs to adjust some AHI settings.

And myabe it helps, set in AHI prefs 'Music Unit' to use 'Unit 0:HiFi 16 bit stereo++' an then Unit0, 1, 2 and 3 to use your driver (in my case 'SM502:HiFi 16 bit setero').

Deniil715 
Posted on 16-Apr-2015 9:32:27
#20 ]
Elite Member

@DWolfman

Quote:

DWolfman wrote:
Well, back on the CMI8738 card, and all KeepAhiOpen does for me is make AmigaAMP say it cannot open the AHI interface.

In that case you have not enough channels configured in AHI for unit 0. You need to have more than 1 channel configured. Use 32 channels (max) on OS4. There is no reason not to. This has nothing to do with the sound card, it is an AHI configuration.

The purpose of KeepAHIOpen is that it will open one channel on unit 0 to make the soundcard stay in active mode, to prevent clicks and reset volume levels etc. To play other sounds, like in AmigaAMP, you need to have more channels configured so that AmigaAMP get one channel, then for system sounds to play at the same time you need another channel, then for video playback you need another, unless you want to quit the apps between each use. Just set all units to 32 channels.

Also make sure no program, like AmigaAMP uses the Music Unit. Noone should use the Music Unit on modern sound cards. Also configure the Music Unit in AHI to play on Unit 0 instead of CMI 16 HiFi++ or whatever. That way programs using the Music Unit will also benefit from shared sound with multiple channels at the same time. Odyssey multimedia player is one of them.

Last edited by Deniil715 on 16-Apr-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Last edited by Deniil715 on 16-Apr-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle