Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 105 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 clint:  5 mins ago
 kiFla:  19 mins ago
 zipper:  32 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 1 min ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 pavlor:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 OldFart:  2 hrs 16 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Amigas future
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
OlafS25 
Re: Amigas future
Posted on 24-Sep-2014 12:28:50
#41 ]
Elite Member

@Everblue

Ask Pascal I do not know. Certainly not millions (otherwise we would heard of it yet)

Profile     Report this post  
OldFart 
Posted on 24-Sep-2014 13:58:33
#42 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@OlafS25

Quote:
Why are you caring about the ISA so much? If all your software would work on it where is the problem? Back in the days I was a fanatic X86 hater too but that is now a long time ago. I use Computer every day and I do not care what hardware it uses.

I'm sorry, but I'm a mere mortal, a species not exactly known for making decisions on rational grounds. I don't say that I HATE x86, I just state that I have a dislike for it. Many choices in a man's life (and in a woman's life in particular!) is based on subjective grounds. And that is the very reason that there IS choice! Why car brand X and not brand Y? A subjective matter. Why a camera of brand N and not brand C, although they are both excellent and comparable? Again subjective. Why is beer of brand H thought to be so much better then beer of brand C? It has been proven that there no objective ground for such a thought. And no I won't compare either of them with horsep!ss as don't want to insult the horse.

Quote:
Assuming that AmigaOS would be ported to X64 what would be different for you?
For me that would only mean that I would retract from the Amiga scene.

Quote:
"x86 Has NO appeal to me"

Explain that because I really do not understand it

There's a number of things in life that I have a strong, but admittedly unfunded dislike for. To bring up the difficult subject of cars into the discussion: I have a strong dislike for frontwheel drive cars, two-stroke engines, diesel engines (filthy!!!) in general. But I know I have little sympathy in that realm.
And x86 to me has an appeal of a worn out, old woman's nightgown. I know that I', on my own, but hey, it's MY perception, isn't it? Heavily biased, unfunded, very subjective.

Quote:
Urgently needed is better software development support.

And here we finally find eachother. Although others may say that development support is sufficient. But that's probably a very subjective line of thought.

OldFart

OlafS25 
Posted on 24-Sep-2014 14:11:49
#43 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

ok I understand

tripper 
Posted on 24-Sep-2014 14:16:34
#44 ]

I recently came back to using amigas just because I did not enjoy the overall *experience* of using Windows. With Amiga I always knew, or was about to knew what was going on. Did not really mind the crashes, as there was always something that wanted me to go look for the answer. With windows I just did not care. Windows felt too general, uninspiring, dull... EVEN when everything works.

And I've always felt the community has been friendly (hence the name Amiga ;) of supporting in solving each other's problems related to the Amiga. It's a kind of a jigsaw puzzle in of itself.

The only thing I see it failing is if the pride kicks in and people stop supporting the whole experience. Remember, the mind of a beginner is where all wisdom lies.

Familiar, inspiring, wicked with it's mysterious ways to work or to crash. Like life. BUT I'm not going too far with that. Life is a bigger experience, so too much Amiga is too much like in everything ;)

keep on going!

Last edited by tripper on 24-Sep-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Last edited by tripper on 24-Sep-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Manu 
Posted on 24-Sep-2014 14:20:13
#45 ]

Amiga was great in it's time, peace be with her.

From a pure user perspective the clones, AmigaOS4 , MorphOS, AROS are niche of a niche they're fun to tinker with, but if you want something done you better boot into Windows or Linux fast or you'll sit twice as long trying to squeeze out a result that is twice worse than it was if it were done on Windows or Linux. Software development is so many man-years behind that you can't expect anyone to find time to make as good software that you can find on Linux or Windows today where you have 10 times more software devs. Sorry if I'm harsh but that's just how I see it works for me. For me to use a Amiga clone on daily basis it would have to run at the minimum Linux software easily.

tripper 
Posted on 24-Sep-2014 14:53:20
#46 ]

Amiga and the time it was created (the general atmosphere of entrepreneurship) was something that should be given more focus these days, other than pure computing power and efficiency. When that is brought back into the time we're living there's nothing really stopping people to take the good bits and leave the rest. I'm all for ingenuity and against the general efficient look for things.

Everblue 
Posted on 24-Sep-2014 15:34:39
#47 ]
Cult Member

Amiga OS and MorphOS were intended to be modern re-implementations of Classic Amiga. The problem is that development and the spreading towards new hardware has been so slow (and in the case of hardware inexistant) that in itself these have become 'classic operating systems' and pretty much a total reboot is required.

Yes, setting up Amiga OS and using it for simple tasks is fun but we have to agree on the fact that once we need to do something more serious, whether we like it or not we have to turn on our PCs and MACs and get stuff that. I think we have also to agree that from now on it things will only get worse as the generation gap of what is current and what we can run Amiga NG Operating Systems widen.

Signal 
Posted on 24-Sep-2014 15:49:07
#48 ]
Cult Member

@tripper

Quote:
Remember, the mind of a beginner is where all wisdom lies.

And
[quote]Amiga at the time it was created (the general atmosphere of entrepreneurship) was something that should be given more focus these days, other than pure computing power and efficiency.[quote]

I could not agree more.

CPU does not matter.

Amiga is not a PC.....IT'S AN AMIGA! (Or at least it's supposed to be.)

wawa 
Posted on 24-Sep-2014 15:58:15
#49 ]
Elite Member

@Fairdinkem

Quote:

So on a positive note there allegedly is a surprise install for us to be released at Amiwest this year, what could it be I wonder? Hopefully it is the cure all for the tales of woe I have just written about.

ah, is there? likely another very exciting pack of announcements, people will wait another year for, till they forgot what they were.

Last edited by wawa on 24-Sep-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Everblue 
Posted on 24-Sep-2014 16:00:29
#50 ]
Cult Member

@Signal

And what is an Amiga?

For me Amiga is two things:

1. Classic games which I can already play on my Amiga 500/1200/Minimig

2. Amiga OS4 and MorphOS (debatable but not the point of this discussion)

The future of Amiga, is no. 2. If no. 2 stalls/stops, Amiga is dead.

tripper 
Posted on 24-Sep-2014 16:19:49
#51 ]

Amiga is = WHAT PEOPLE MAKE IT. A platform.

wawa 
Posted on 24-Sep-2014 16:39:04
#52 ]
Elite Member

@tripper

Quote:

surely there is a number of people that will not agree with you here, since there is an official brand they recognize, even if it is only as official as that its name may contain the string "amiga". secondly if amiga was to be what people make of it, it would have to be open and everything about it would have to be public. since its exactly the opposite your description rather fits aros than anything else in this context.

Last edited by wawa on 24-Sep-2014 at 04:39 PM.

tripper 
Posted on 24-Sep-2014 16:46:11
#53 ]

@wawa

I honestly just feel you lost the point of what I was pointing to. Was talking in general terms, but I must admit we are all coming from different camps of observation. So please share yours whoever you are. All permitted (as if I need to remind of that).

Last edited by tripper on 24-Sep-2014 at 04:50 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 24-Sep-2014 17:14:50
#54 ]
Elite Member

@tripper.
Quote:
I must admit we are all coming from different camps of observation

do we? i am just your generic amiga user. and was talking in general terms as well. probably even more general, since physically you can do with your amiga computer whatever lies within your abilities, you though cant do the same with the whole brand, like you couldnt do anything you like with the whole sony company.
but if you refer to that in fact the perfect idea of amiga exists only in the dream world of each and every individual amiga fan, and that these separate personal ideas neither interact nor fit with each other, then you are probably close to truth.

Quote:
So please share yours whoever you are. All permitted (as if I need to remind of that).

will do.

Last edited by wawa on 24-Sep-2014 at 05:15 PM.

tripper 
Posted on 24-Sep-2014 17:32:34
#55 ]

@wawa

being a dreamer and a dream world (utopia) are two distinct matters. When not expecting any outcome dreaming can go far. So what is the expectation?

I'm just enjoying the experience, that's all. And will contribute as I can in the near future if possible.

wawa 
Posted on 24-Sep-2014 17:57:09
#56 ]
Elite Member

@tripper

expectations towards what particularly?

amiga will stay what it is, an iconic computer system from the last millennium. people will likely continue to base their projects on it trying to tear it in different directions they find appropriate. most of these projects will end in nothing without a notice the rest will take forever. yes, the best part of it is just enjoying whats there, but its not the subject here.

Last edited by wawa on 24-Sep-2014 at 06:06 PM.

cdimauro 
Posted on 24-Sep-2014 22:42:29
#57 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Signal wrote:
@tripper

Quote:
Amiga at the time it was created (the general atmosphere of entrepreneurship) was something that should be given more focus these days, other than pure computing power and efficiency.

I could not agree more.

CPU does not matter.

It matter, but depends on other factors: performance and/or power drawn and/or costs.
Quote:
Amiga is not a PC.....IT'S AN AMIGA! (Or at least it's supposed to be.)

What's sold as being an Amiga actually is just a PC with a different CPU (PowerPC instead of x86 or x64).

It requires A LOT of imagination to see common things with the Amiga.

Apart this, and as I said, Amiga is... not. Anymore. It was.

Quote:

tripper wrote:

So basically a set of people together can decide what's one thing, right? So they can decide that the Sun is green, and that black holes look like rainbows. They can also decide that the Holocaust never happened, and that everything is an invention of the (communists) Jewishs to criminalize the unguilty nazists, which were well known to be very good people: humanists!

I really hate such kind of false, ideological revisionisms.

Do you truly want to define what an Amiga was? HISTORY AND FACTS at the hands, collect a good amount of sentences related to such platform, and report them. After that, do the same with what happened after the Commodore demise. Then... compare the two lists, extract the intersection (list of sentences that match), and... you have the answer!

BTW, for the same reason there were no "classic" Amigas. In fact, I had two marvelous Amigas, one 2000 and a 1200. They were NOT "Classics". They were ONLY, SIMPLY, JUST... Amigas!

tripper 
Posted on 24-Sep-2014 22:58:09
#58 ]

@cdimauro

I just can't believe the logic of your thinking. Nazis and holocausts and amiga. Jumping into conclusions is not the way to go.

But I do sense where the frustration is coming from, or what I think personally without certainty. I'm in no favour of collectivism. It is a theme that surrounds much of what happens around these days. All right to bring these themes up methinks.

Last edited by tripper on 24-Sep-2014 at 11:08 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 24-Sep-2014 23:02:46
#59 ]
Elite Member

@Everblue

as you said, 2 is debatable

and your last sentence is debatable too

OlafS25 
Posted on 24-Sep-2014 23:13:56
#60 ]
Elite Member

@tripper

he said that 1+1 is not 3 just because a group of people say that. I would personally not compare the community with dictatorship.

The community is today splitted in different camps heading in different directions with different definitions of Amiga. I would assume that neither Aros camp nor MorphOS camp would say a PC with Aros or a used Mac is "Amiga", it is still a PC or used Mac with a OS on it that behaves like Amiga and has the same API. The last Amiga all would agree was A4000 and AROS, MorphOS and AmigaOS are successors. All would agree with one exception, one group insists their OS is "Amiga", but it is not in the eyes of the others. That is how I cdimauro understand.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle