Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 125 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 billt:  2 hrs 48 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 1 min ago
 agami:  3 hrs 25 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 31 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 39 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  4 hrs 47 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Looking to sell A1 XE800mhz
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
pvanni 
Re: Looking to sell A1 XE800mhz
Posted on 26-Oct-2014 17:22:21
#21 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga
Quote:
It lacks one driver for the onboard ethernet

which onboard ethernet driver it lacks? Maybe the gigabit one?

Profile     Report this post  
NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 26-Oct-2014 17:44:25
#22 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

The build quality of the XE/SE computers was just horrible, missing pull up resistors for USB, Mai logic chip that was sub standard, plus the battery drain problem, and IRQ problems, DMA problems.

It did take one year for AmigaOS run stable on it with getting craking noice from the spankers when moving mouse or windows around on the screen. 5 years later they manage to get USB more or less working 80-90%, there are just some USB sticks that does not work with XE.

Lets not forget that missing AC'97 chip.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 26-Oct-2014 at 05:54 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 26-Oct-2014 17:53:05
#23 ]
Elite Member

@pvanni

Yes, I believe onboard ethernet its Gigabit.

The X1000 was initially sold with a Reltek Ethernet PCI card 100mbp/s, and some sheep PCI sound card. Until the drivers where ready for the computer.

The onboard Audio driver has been ready for some time now at least 1 year.

pvanni 
Posted on 26-Oct-2014 18:25:31
#24 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga
but the onboard ethernet it's working, maybe only 100MB
and not 1GB but it's working

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 26-Oct-2014 18:35:43
#25 ]
Elite Member

@pvanni

Quote:
but the onboard ethernet it's working,

Yes if you install Linux, there are lots of developers working on Linux and the chips in AmigaONE computers are already support there.

Quote:
maybe only 100MB

Yes the RealTek ethernet is only 100mbp/s.

B = bytes, b = bits

RealTek PCI works fine under AmigaOS4.1

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 26-Oct-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 26-Oct-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 26-Oct-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 26-Oct-2014 at 06:36 PM.

pvanni 
Posted on 26-Oct-2014 18:43:31
#26 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga
actually i'm using the onboard ethernet with AOS 4.1

danwood 
Posted on 26-Oct-2014 18:46:43
#27 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
The build quality of the XE/SE computers was just horrible, missing pull up resistors for USB, Mai logic chip that was sub standard, plus the battery drain problem, and IRQ problems, DMA problems.

You are right, on my A1XE pretty much every on-board component has to be replaced with PCI cards, USB card, IDE SIL Card, Sound Card. The RAM implementation is bad too, not only does it need expensive registered memory, it also not only works with certain RAM sticks but also certain chips, I have two RAM sticks that are identical model numbers but have different company names on the actual chips, one works, one doesn't. They're so inconstant.

I've never got USB 2.0 to work even with a PCI card. I get random lock-ups all the time, it can be anywhere from seconds after boot to hours, it's a very flawed board. In the end it just wasn't worth the time and money I was putting into trying to get it running stable, when you're spending 90% of your time on a system doing maintenance not using it, it stops being fun. Using MorphOS on a G4 and G5 systems from Apple is the total opposite, I can count the number of crashes I get per year on one hand, the hardware all runs great, everything works as expected, there is a lot to be said about mass-manufacturered, tried and tested hardware, it's just a shame they wont port OS4 to these cheap, powerful systems.

Last edited by danwood on 26-Oct-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Last edited by danwood on 26-Oct-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Last edited by danwood on 26-Oct-2014 at 06:47 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 26-Oct-2014 18:58:50
#28 ]
Elite Member

@pvanni

I have read they have been working on it, but I don't think its out yet.

I have only been given access to what I needed for mplayer development, so there is nothing you can get out of me that is not on the internet, if your not a beta tester.

Anyway I'm going to check if it has not been deliver with AmigaUpdate.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 26-Oct-2014 at 07:12 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 26-Oct-2014 19:16:43
#29 ]
Elite Member

@danwood

Well my XE works not bad after the time and money I have spent on it, but its a lot slower then X1000.

I did have to use my soldering Iron and cut some wire on the motherboard, cut and strap some paths, add some missing resistors, send the G4 module to Acube-Systems to get that fixed, 7000 NOK out the window.

14000/12000 NOK (buying it) + 7000 NOK (repair) = 19000 NOK ~ 2,274.69 EUR or 2,886.59 USD.
(I think the 7000 NOK included the shipment costs)

In the end the XE has cost me more money then the X1000 ever did, and lots of time with troubleshooting.

I tested a demo on my XE and compared it to Sam460, and the Sam460 run a lot smother, I think XE is crippled in speed as well, also if you compare it with Pegasus II computers, with same CPU's the Pegasus II always comes on top.

Quote:
it's just a same they wont port OS4 to these cheap, powerful systems.

I don't think there be any X1000 or X5000 systems if they did. And also the developer be stuck supporting old hardware, not spending there time on PCIe and Radeon HD cards.

I know users are sick of waiting but, but I don't think its good idea to be stuck with old technology, no mater if the old macs are powerful computers.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 26-Oct-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 26-Oct-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 26-Oct-2014 at 07:17 PM.

pvanni 
Posted on 26-Oct-2014 21:57:54
#30 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga
I'am not a betatester, I bought my X1000 recently because my XE died,
I noted there was an ethernet driver that seemed for the one on the motherboard,
I tried it and it worked, no idea how old it is

Ivan 
Posted on 26-Oct-2014 22:55:21
#31 ]

So, all I had to do was set the second boot disk in UBOOT to sii-parallel and it booted. But what did I do? Tried to recover old settings from UBOOT and it went into a constant grey screen after the boing ball load screen. So, yank out the battery, flip it over and make contact with the center spring and wipe the BIOS. Placed the battery back in and it loads perfectly.

You know, I've missed using the A1. Oh my it's a beautiful desktop.

I have about 6 boot disks backed up, DH0-1, DH0-2, etc all so I can flip back and forth between os versions lol. Piles of source codes. Many games, most of which broke from one version to another. Fuhquake (I did a quick port from Linux -software render-) works though, I may hook up the ethernet line later and play just for fun. The best part, by far, is a 99.999% complete set of RKRM's, docs, example code, and all. I'll be browsing through those a while.

The box was surprisingly clean inside but it still needs a little work. The front USB ports wont work for some reason (mx518 mouse). Power button got itself stuck in the on position so I have to rip it all apart and fix it. The back USB ports are misaligned again. Just as a matter of interest to you guys with an XE box, I had minor shorting at one point (enough to see a faint spark) because for some reason the outside contact of the usb plug would make contact with the metal backplate. Something like that HAS to cause problems so check yours and see if you need to adjust the case a bit.

For now I'm keeping the A1 (sorry guys) and fixing it up. I'm falling in love again but once I'm done patching things up I will consider selling it.

Last edited by Ivan on 26-Oct-2014 at 10:59 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 27-Oct-2014 2:32:18
#32 ]
Elite Member

@pvanni

Most be some thing AmigaKit/A-EON has provided.
it should not be there, I don't have it.

Hypex 
Posted on 30-Oct-2014 13:35:46
#33 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
I think its just you who have gotten more used to it.

Used to it now but back then there was some exctement. People who bought one brought it to my Amiga club.

Compare to the X1000. I'm the only person who has brought one to my clubs AFAIK. And people who bought the A1 didn't go on to buy an X1000. Sure the Sam was in between but I never see any at my Amiga clubs now days.

Quote:
Nope its easy to use, you just have not tried to learn it.

Easy? You find entering commands on the CLI easier than using the cursor keys to navigate a menu? You must love the CLI. I have tried to learn some commands but why should I need too in the first place?

Quote:
You don't need it to boot Linux, CFE has its own boot menu, so this is simple.

It's not simple, you have to program it by hand. It is tedious and one mistake on entry means you have to enter all that line again. I get the impression you enjoy typing cryptic things into the keyboard.

On the A1 the SLB can read a boot menu off the Linux volume and auto boot. Now that's simple.

Quote:
I have only one complaint about the OF boot loader, and that it does not support kick-layout options, like UBOOT SBL2 does,

Oh, I Think you just need to setup a menu in CFE. Simple!

Seriously, for OS4 volumes I've found OF loader easier and less setup. As you can have a Kicklayout in its volume and the loader will find it and add a boot menu entry. But, what options do you mean?

Quote:
If it makes seance to you or not, make no difference, the hardware works, and good quality.

I've used it for the Wiggle demo to flash a few LEDs, pretty much it. Regardless of it working and being good quality still makes no difference to me as Xena is just an X-Core chip which I don't use for personal use.

Quote:
It lacks one driver for the onboard ethernet,

And how much effort and years of work was needed to write the other drivers? This burden should't have been on the developers. See, even perfect support in Linux didn't help the OS4 team. Not as much as it should have.

Quote:
The hardware works perfect in Linux,

Of course it does, Linux has thosands of drivers. But it wasn't made for Linux, it was made for OS4. If you are after a Linux machine the X1000 is one of the hardest to setup.

Quote:
AmigaONE-XE/SE this are crap, but I agree they have historic value, and they are good example on how to not do something.

The SE cannot be considered here, it was a developers machine. As to "crap" my A1 has been my main machine for ten years now. Even before I added a 0680 IDE and USB [2 non-working] card. I had no serious trouble with it one I had it all setup. No hardware is pefect, not even real Amigas. My beloved A1200 had a hot plug issue for PCMCIA and this was echoed in the A1 USB issue.

I think some people found the A1 hard to use and setup as they probably expected it to act lika a real Amiga when in fact it wasn't any klnd of Amiga at all. It had a sharp learning curve. And was picky about some hardware if you set it up by hand.

Quote:
change A1 with XE, as A1 can be any computer including X1000, I know you mean XE when you say A1.

My "AmigaOne" has been called an A1 for the last yen years. It is the first to have that name. The X1000 will have to earn it if it wants naming rights

Quote:
I can agree it was not half bad compare to what existed at the time, you needed to compare it to Mac computers from 2002, to find the same CPU clock frequency.

I was thinkimng of the eMac. Over here one cost $1,500 and had an 800Mhz PPC just like the A1. My A1 setup cost about $2,000 all up. Close as it gets. I even recall a shipment of "AmigaOne"'s were delayed because Apple was given priority. We had to fight with Apple to get CPUs. Those were the days!

Robert 
Posted on 30-Oct-2014 14:12:42
#34 ]
Cult Member

@danwood

Quote:
it's just a shame they wont port OS4 to these cheap, powerful systems.

Indeed, that would be a nice option.

Abel Soul - Check out our tunes on Spotify

Robert 
Posted on 30-Oct-2014 14:15:25
#35 ]
Cult Member

@Ivan

Quote:
For now I'm keeping the A1 (sorry guys) and fixing it up. I'm falling in love again but once I'm done patching things up I will consider selling it.

Hahaha.... excellent.

Abel Soul - Check out our tunes on Spotify

Hypex 
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 14:17:19
#36 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
The build quality of the XE/SE computers was just horrible,

It's still disputable whether it needs the resisors or not. It could be a driver issue. As an example I can reboot OS4 and find it picks up devices. So they can be detected without a cold reboot which would have the effect of totally resetting the USB card. Of course, OS4 could be doing this as well.

The X1000 doesn't escape this either. There should be a key to hold in the PCIe VGA cards. My X1000 goes into a reset boot loop when I lay it on the side with the board facing ground. CFE crashes too easily at simple things like drive detection or even exiting a menu. I have constant SATA problems and never know if my X1000 will boot or not. Perhaps this is a fault of the SATA standard or bad quality SATA sockets. I've also had the soldering examined by a hardware engineer who said major companies would throw boards out by what she saw and she doubts the board will last a long time but I've made that point before.

Well, MAI made the board that become the AmigaOne, and they didn't fix their own chips so no wonder they went bust after we gave them a short boost in profit. But I think the AmigaOne should have stayed with the original idea that plugged into the A1200 and used at like a dongle.

Battery problem seems random, mine was fine for years. What IRQ problems? Not being able send sound data to a SoundBlaster fast enough? As to DMA, well the AmigaOne didn't have DMA really, unless you added that hack which no one seems to know how it works and why. But not even the latest Amiga IDE cards have UDMA yet, to my knowledge. And they tend to be more advanced.

Let's not forget the IDE and network conflict. I never really saw this as I was on dial up. Although I did network to other computers over ethernet.

But what about the µA1?

Quote:
It did take one year for AmigaOS run stable on it

Just as now. They are still working on getting the OS to work correctly on different hardware. But back then it was in a very early stage. I also recall we had the Developers Prerelease first. At least that's what I had, so no wonder there were bugs.

Quote:
Lets not forget that missing AC'97 chip.

Or lack of. This turned out to be a driver issue I recall. And was removed from production because they didn't think it worked. There may have been some hardware bug but I don't have the details now.

Quote:
I think XE is crippled in speed as well, also if you compare it with Pegasus II computers, with same CPU's the Pegasus II always comes on top.

The Pegasos was superior hardware. Well the first had the same A1 problems but the second was superior. Eve nhaving official Debian support. Except the firmware was a dog. User unfriendly and can't even auto boot a CD. CFE in similar in some ways.

Last edited by Hypex on 31-Oct-2014 at 02:21 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle