Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 168 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  5 mins ago
 Hypex:  26 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  44 mins ago
 saimo:  53 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 retrofaza:  2 hrs ago
 Rob:  2 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Website feedback and suggestions
      /  amigaworld.net now owned by A-EON
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
noXLar 
Re: amigaworld.net now owned by A-EON
Posted on 27-Oct-2014 0:55:41
#181 ]
Cult Member

@_Steve_

+10

Profile     Report this post  
klx300r 
Posted on 27-Oct-2014 1:39:49
#182 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Mikey_C wrote:
Having Read all the crap on here, arguments, spats, uncivil discussions, name calling etc, reminds me why myself and orgin created Amigans.net.

@ Sven Harvey

Yes, people left Amiga.org and moved over to Amigaworld (myself included) because the Trolls had taken over Amiga.org

Then when the trolls took over Amigaworld, we created Amigans.net - No we are not selling, we are happy to be an independant, but loyal AmigaOS4 centric site.

amen to that Mikey! may amigans always remain troll free

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Marky_D_Sahdd 
Posted on 27-Oct-2014 2:47:21
#183 ]

My honest and unswerving take on this: I was unconcerned, in fact, rather positive about the A-Eon takeover of Amiga.org. it is a good thing, I think, for the lead company to have an open line of communication with its users, to make announcements, stomp out ridiculous rumors, keep track of user trends and ideas, etc. All to the good, I say. But taking on more than one smells like trying to control all speech and ideas. I would have felt the same if A-Eon had chosen to take Amigaworld instead. One is healthy, I think. Two or more, not so. Also, instead of buying up Amiga discussion sites, why not save and buy Amiga Inc.? The ownership of all the trademarks and licenses would save them and Hyperion a lot of dosh over the next several years, and grant them a lot of freedom they haven't got now.

Marky_D_Sahdd 
Posted on 27-Oct-2014 2:55:39
#184 ]

One also has to wonder...Is there an ultimate plan to merge these two sites?

itix 
Posted on 27-Oct-2014 4:13:44
#185 ]
Elite Member

@Marky_D_Sahdd

For all fairness, I have to say that only reason why "A-eonkit" bought AWN was that userbase and therefore resources have dwindled away. What I have understood from other users AWN has been struggling due to lack of staff.

That is actually a problem what simple acquisition by A-eonkit is not going to solve.

Bondy 
Posted on 27-Oct-2014 6:13:12
#186 ]

@Hyperionmp

Quote:

Hyperionmp wrote:
@jorit2

Corrected. Thanks for the pointer, I had forgotten about the automaticcan't chrition of the contrary.

THIS POST REFLECTS MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Heel fido!

Professional codes of conduct usually address behaviour, including the insulting kind you regularly trot out Ben. You cant cherry pick.

You also can't keep trotting out the fact that Hyperion had to pay for a law suit. They obviously got atrocious legal advice signing that contract in the first place. They should claim back the costs from him. Oh, hang on !

Hondo 
Posted on 27-Oct-2014 7:54:00
#187 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:
Are you user already?

Not that I need to answer you Olaf, but I have been owning various Amiga computers since 1987 - and today I use my good old trusted A1200, which sadly is not equipped to run AmigaOS 4.0 or 4.1

But I don't need to be a user of NG AmigaOS to think it's fantastic that development is ongoing. Don't need to be a user to think that it is some seriously great features our good old amiga operating system has gotten over the years. Don't need to be a user for that. I can easily imagine how great the font system must look, and how it must be to run the whole thing with modern resolutions and 24 bit colors!

And I absolutely don't need to be a user to fight for the ongoing development of a system i came to love dearly back in the heydays - a system I absolutely intended all the time to purchase in all it's NG glory when I could afford it.

Which brings me to this new offer - hell yeah I will buy AmigaOS 4.1 even if I don't have the hardware to run it - just because it's a fantastic good offer - and because I can run it on UAE (maybe) - until I can get my fingers on some future NG hardware (X3500/5000) or some used SAM in between.

And I will buy it even if it means the month will be harder economy wise (yeah some of us is really that hard tied up)

Last edited by Hondo on 27-Oct-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Last edited by Hondo on 27-Oct-2014 at 08:10 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-Oct-2014 9:23:13
#188 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

"X1000 - One Amiga to rule them all..." and that you spoke in the name of hundreds of users (as a non-user) was a little strange to me

no offense

Bugala 
Posted on 27-Oct-2014 9:30:30
#189 ]
Cult Member

@Topic

I am actually slightly disappointed about this. Not that I think that Aeon would be a bad owner for amigaworld.net, but since there already was a topic where there was mentioned that if Amigaworld.net is ever in sale, someone said "count me in", and i doubt he was counted in as potential buyer. Just for chance of competition and new ideas, it had been nice had they given some hint to people that amigaworld.net is up for sale, and others could have tried to buy it too.

Of course it is their own decision etc. plus i doubt anyone else made serious contact of making an offer but Aeon, but i would have anyway liked that.

Plus, it is the previous owners own loss that they didnt even consider opening up other possibilities. They might have got more out of it than they now did. Although, I have to say, Aoen probably did pay more than the well based real value had been.

Hondo 
Posted on 27-Oct-2014 9:47:08
#190 ]

@OlafS25

Olaf with that signature I wasn't trying to speak for everybody - I was just expressing my thoughts about the X1000 computer. It seemed fitting to use the slogan from Lord of the ring on the new X1000 Because it looked as it would be the fastest "Amiga" ever built, and the X stuff got to me

But you're right - I need to jump on board and try it out myself, both OS and hardware.

Hopefully one day I'll get my fingers on some NG hardware

But next it's the new AmigaOS 4.1 for me and some emulation try out on my windows pc.

tomazkid 
Posted on 27-Oct-2014 12:28:36
#191 ]
Team Member

@itix

Quote:
For all fairness, I have to say that only reason why "A-eonkit" bought AWN was that userbase and therefore resources have dwindled away. What I have understood from other users AWN has been struggling due to lack of staff.

Well, we have lost 2 staff members during the past year.
That is noticeable.

This purchase is as Trevor wrote earlier initiated by the fact that David is busy IRL with career and other things, and has had hard to find time and motivation to work with aw.net.

And what will happen later on, that is up to the future to show.
Untill then:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdhAfMor9BM

wawa 
Posted on 27-Oct-2014 12:38:00
#192 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

Quote:
And I will buy it even if it means the month will be harder economy wise (yeah some of us is really that hard tied up)

if spending 30eur discount on an os is already a hardly bearable amount, then i would really consider if its worth it, since you may not be able to afford the hardware to run it ever.

Last edited by wawa on 27-Oct-2014 at 12:38 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-Oct-2014 12:41:58
#193 ]
Elite Member

@tomazkid
then name some of the critics that take care when something gets out of control and can be contacted (expecially when bans are threatened and people feel treated bad)

Obviously amiga.org is out of control

Regarding user base, amigaworld was moderated heavily towards "NG" whereas amiga.org was moderated more liberal and open and traditionally 68k orientated. Now it seems they are working there to change that.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 27-Oct-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Hondo 
Posted on 27-Oct-2014 14:42:53
#194 ]

@wawa

It's worth it! (it's an offer I can't refuse)

The UAE opportunity could be a nice way to learn all the nice new things. And hopefully I'll be able to afford some hardware within the next couple of years.

Chuckt 
Posted on 27-Oct-2014 14:45:46
#195 ]

@itix

Quote:

itix wrote:
@Marky_D_Sahdd

That is actually a problem what simple acquisition by A-eonkit is not going to solve.

New hardware that is cheap and viable is the only thing which will solve the problems.

Chuckt 
Posted on 27-Oct-2014 16:14:08
#196 ]

@Bugala

Quote:

Bugala wrote:
@Topic

I am actually slightly disappointed about this. Not that I think that Aeon would be a bad owner for amigaworld.net, but since there already was a topic where there was mentioned that if Amigaworld.net is ever in sale, someone said "count me in", and i doubt he was counted in as potential buyer. Just for chance of competition and new ideas, it had been nice had they given some hint to people that amigaworld.net is up for sale, and others could have tried to buy it too.

Of course it is their own decision etc. plus i doubt anyone else made serious contact of making an offer but Aeon, but i would have anyway liked that.

Plus, it is the previous owners own loss that they didnt even consider opening up other possibilities. They might have got more out of it than they now did. Although, I have to say, Aoen probably did pay more than the well based real value had been.

I see this as an attempt to save their platform. The X1000 is in limited quantity? The rest of the community is divided. The Minimig doesn't have a hard drive. I don't really know what a Sam is or why I would want it. X1000 is too expensive for me.

So basically the market is dissolving and they bought these two websites and I feel that everyone will get drug down with them. Talk about beating a dead horse.

wawa 
Posted on 27-Oct-2014 16:26:51
#197 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

Quote:
@wawa It's worth it! (it's an offer I can't refuse) The UAE opportunity could be a nice way to learn all the nice new things. And hopefully I'll be able to afford some hardware within the next couple of years.

then pay attention to buy a "classic" release of os4.1 final.

Last edited by wawa on 27-Oct-2014 at 04:27 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 27-Oct-2014 16:35:46
#198 ]
Elite Member

@Chuckt

Quote:
I see this as an attempt to save their platform. The X1000 is in limited quantity? The rest of the community is divided. The Minimig doesn't have a hard drive. I don't really know what a Sam is or why I would want it. X1000 is too expensive for me.

then this attempt is ill advised. to save tha platform as a whole you need a vision and a plan. you have to approach people rather tho sneak behind their back. you have to propose and discuss the approach. not that everybody will agree, but you need to find the widest possible common ground to invest into.

since all this doesnt happen, but as is is customary everything (if anything at all) happens behind the scenes, leaving an impression nothing gets done at all, and then the public is presented the result (if any), take or leave it (oh, no, dont leave it, you are not a supporter then) i dont think there is actually a plan worth to talk about. rather there is a number of chaotic actions aimed to conserve the status quo and win time.

Hondo 
Posted on 27-Oct-2014 16:41:37
#199 ]

@wawa

Quote:
then pay attention to buy a "classic" release of os4.1 final.

Wow....glad you reminded me, because honestly I didn't think about it. Thanks wawa

terminills 
Posted on 28-Oct-2014 15:05:55
#200 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Hyperionmp

Quote:

@Hondo

To clarify: I stated "last post in this thread" or something to that effect.

I certainly did not mean we would disengage entirely.

You have to admit however that if there is even a single individual who is intent on creating all kinds of confusion, FUD etc. (whilst claiming to be at the helm of a multimillion company - which is a contradiction all by itself as I represent this type of people every day in court and I know them very well), you end up wasting your time contradicting obvious fallacies or misleading information just to make sure that it does not take on a life of its own.

Most recently, I was informed by a reliable source that Evert Carton would be coming back to Hyperion to take over the OS and to move it to a Linux kernel (hmm, I wonder who did that before?).

I knew this could not be true but at the same time it was a very reliable source. Turned out some AROS branch fanatics had actually convinced themselves that this was true and were filling entire IRC channels with this nonsens.

Who are these fanatics?

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle