Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 67 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 JimS:  51 mins ago
 Hans:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 Kremlar:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 37 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 12 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  4 hrs 21 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  4 hrs 22 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Reality check
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
klx300r 
Re: Reality check
Posted on 29-Oct-2014 4:25:23
#41 ]
Elite Member

@Steady

& don't forget the world of green & orange monochrome monitors with a max resolution if 1 dot per inch

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Profile     Report this post  
noXLar 
Posted on 29-Oct-2014 5:21:07
#42 ]
Cult Member

@Vistaus

+1

it's really great too read about your experience with os4.1, my feeling is
exactly the same, but i did use Worbench 1.3-3.9, but stopped using it late
90's for different reasons. when finally bought A1-500 in 2012 and booted up
OS4.1, i was a little sad, i should have bought it a long long time ago.
all these updates, i can't wait too get them.

Steady 
Posted on 29-Oct-2014 5:55:34
#43 ]

@klx300r

lol. 1 DPI. I'd like to see those graphics!

cdimauro 
Posted on 1-Nov-2014 20:36:39
#44 ]
Elite Member

@resle

Quote:

resle wrote:
"AMIGA" in the year 2014 is:

- An OS with features on par with Windows/MacOS versions from 15 years ago,

You were too much optimistic. Even Windows 3.0 had resource tracking, virtual memory, and memory protection (albeit some memory was shared, and access to the hardware too). And since 1.0 it had a proper abstract/opaque for applications.

Only MacOS shared similar problems with the Amiga o.s., like missing memory protection. Bombs are well known...
Quote:
Remember when computing was fun? Or, at least... not morbid.

It's still fun.
Quote:
Off to my self banishment again

Shutting-up is what makes happy some people, but I prefer to exercise my freedom of speech.

Minuous 
Posted on 2-Nov-2014 0:19:44
#45 ]

@noXLar

>i did use Worbench 1.3-3.9, but stopped using it late 90's for different reasons.

That can't be right, OS3.9 wasn't released until 2000.

resle 
Posted on 16-Feb-2015 3:05:33
#46 ]
Cult Member

So - Hyperion PROBABLY goes bankrupt, which is unsurprising given the apparent absence of a business model or company structure.

Promptly, some unforgivably childish and unreasonable discussions pop up and stir the community.
(heck, even that sad "amigalinux" clown had the gall to resurface and blather)

In the beginning I was overwhelmed by the discomfort. Then I had this sudden moment of clarity (maybe because valentine day just went by): it's love!. How couldn't I see this before?

This behavior, this irrationality, this incapability of accepting reality, the constant self-fooling with impossible "plans" or wishing for miracles to resurrect someone (something) which is lost or dead... it's love!. When deep in your heart you know the loved one will never be back, yet you can't let it go and your brain just shuts down and you keep ridiculing yourself with childlike, naive, cheesy, or just absent-minded stuff. it's love!.

And love doesn't allow for reality checks.
Well... looks like the name "Amiga" was quite foretelling, wasn't it?

Overflow 
Posted on 16-Feb-2015 3:12:40
#47 ]

@resle

10/10 For effort.

Nameless 
Posted on 16-Feb-2015 3:24:36
#48 ]

@resle

I can't really disagree with your assessment of Amiga-land. Although the one difference is that perhaps I'd say that assessment not only applied to 2014, but applies basically to every year for the last 15 years or so.

One thing I'm amazed at is how during the post-commodore era that the main 'business' of any Commodore or Amiga related company is related to lawsuits, not anything computer related. I mean, it seems like it has to be some sort of record ... endless lawsuits, seemingly never-ending. I just check in here randomly, but there always seems to be someone suing someone else. All for a company or trademark that produces pretty much nothing, or nothing that anyone outside of this small group here would be interested in. It's really crazy.

Jose 
Posted on 16-Feb-2015 13:41:14
#49 ]
Cult Member

@resle

Everything goes through an embryonic stage while being developed. You got to crawl before you walk....It's an alternative platform for people that like being a part of it being developed. I think the reality behind this can be extended to everything. If everyone had your attitude there wouldn't be alternatives in anything, just world dominated right wing liberalism with corporation backed ideas, or on other cases extreme left government fundamentalism. There is another way, personal freedom! We like being a part of this and doing it. It's in development and if it doesn't succeed at least we had fun with it :) Same for AROS or MOS. If it does succeed it will end up in a viable alternative with it's merits and shortcomings.

José

Trewq 
Posted on 16-Feb-2015 14:40:53
#50 ]

@resle

Uh huh, calling optimistic people childlish makes you totally mature.

It may be hard too swallow but not everyone on the planet has the same views and opinions
as the Amigaworld user resle, and are entitled not to.

If the Mac community in the 90's were full of downers like you then Apple would have ceased to exist.

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 16-Feb-2015 15:36:55
#51 ]
Cult Member

@Vistaus et al,

This weekend, even before I read a word of this thread, I was browsing through my old Amiga magazine collection. I came across an article entitled "Workbench96" in Amiga Computing from the January 1996 issue. It outlined the many things that Escom/Amiga should have done to improve the AmigaOS and hardware. Most of the suggestions from the article have been implemented except for 3D libraries. At first, I was a little perturbed that we had to wait many years for those changes, and that we are still waiting on 3D. Then I thought about why I still use AmigaOS. I use it for the same reasons Vistaus outlined.

To sum up, ditto Vistaus. Well said.

Aslak3 
Posted on 16-Feb-2015 19:39:05
#52 ]

@resle

Spot on.

Raffaele 
Posted on 17-Feb-2015 9:05:26
#53 ]

@Overflow

Quote:

Overflow wrote:
@fishy_fis

Just to echo what you just said;

I remember a few months ago, a french developer that have been making a 3d dungeon crawler demostration, somewhat under the radar. He had been blogging his progress, yet noone had made any comments; critical or encouragements.
Personally I had no idea about his efforts, and just stumbled over his blog by accident.
He made comments along the lines of "it would have been nice with some feedback, just to keep my motivation going. Any stimuli would do!".
Ofcourse you could argue that he should have made a better effort in letting the community know what he was doing, by posting updates once a day/week/month (or whenever he had something to report).

Just for a matter of curiosity, what is the name of this so talented Amiga developer, the site link and the 3D demo download link?

This discussion started one year ago, it should be interesting if you had created a new thread signalling the site and the demo.

wawa 
Posted on 17-Feb-2015 9:40:34
#54 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

it must be crisot. considering he coded his demo with the use of amidark engine, which code has been reviewed lately, he probably has hit technical obstacles not to overcome till the engine was fixed itself and resigned.

amigappc 
Posted on 17-Feb-2015 10:03:29
#55 ]

@resle

I agree 100%. Only thing I see in this platform is retro fun - running old software on real machines instead emulation. That is why I had high hopes in Natami as classic hardware 100% compatible replacement.

Sorry that did not happened.

Quote:

resle wrote:
I promised myself I wouldn't post anymore, and for a year or so I managed to keep the promise, and with this I am doing nothing but venting and calling for rotten tomatoes. Anyway, after reading the recent news + reports from Amiwest I can't resist.

Reality check.
"AMIGA" in the year 2014 is:

- An OS with features on par with Windows/MacOS versions from 15 years ago, updated in minor increments every 4/5 years with priority given to animated backgrounds over memory protection

- Abysmally overpriced yet under powered hardware using a dead architecture, to run the above OS

- A couple companies without even a real business model, yet as secretive as international corporations

- A development community where authors of amateur quality software, graphics, websites, feed one each other praises for their work

- A user community where threads belong to the following categories:
° endless arguments on super low level hw details that would barely matter to someone that does cpu engineering for a living
° grandiose business or tech plans outlined by people who barely know how to type
° overly excited benchmarks where a 20 years old game runs at 30 frames per second
° triumphant announcements of achievements in the lines of "I managed to open Facebook"
° legal (!!) debates, complete with court material

And everyone, everyone taking themselves so incredibly seriously, giving themselves senior management titles in a 5 part-time people operation, creating countdowns for broken HTML 1.1 websites, threatening legal actions, exerting moderation power to vent personal frustrations.

Remember when computing was fun? Or, at least... not morbid.
Off to my self banishment again

Hypex 
Posted on 17-Feb-2015 13:41:59
#56 ]
Elite Member

@resle

LOL. That's the price of love. When you have red reality cheeks.

zzd10h 
Posted on 17-Feb-2015 13:59:24
#57 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@wawa

"it must be crisot. considering he coded his demo with the use of amidark engine, "

if you spoke about Crisot and his Odyssey demo, I really doubt that it was written with the AmiDark's engine.

The Crisot blog seems to be down http://soen.hd.free.fr

thinkchip 
Posted on 17-Feb-2015 14:53:04
#58 ]

@Rob

There's something wrong with this kind of logic:

This is a web site for buggies. We don't need gas engines because our horses are fat and healthy. Anyway our horses all have names and we love them. We could never send them to the glue factory. People who want noisy, smelly gas engines are misguided. We don't want people pointing out any problems with buggies because we like them. If you don't like horses and buggies you should go somewhere else. (And converting our buggies to gas is taking longer than we thought it would.)

Last edited by thinkchip on 17-Feb-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Last edited by thinkchip on 17-Feb-2015 at 03:10 PM.

Rob 
Posted on 17-Feb-2015 17:24:30
#59 ]
Elite Member

@zzd10h

Crisot was writing writing his own engine for that game using the Warp3D API, as opposed to MiniGL. He also wrote a few Warp3D demos well before Amidark was started.

zzd10h 
Posted on 17-Feb-2015 19:03:28
#60 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Rob
Yes we are OK.
I didn't say that Crisot used AmiDark engine.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle