Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 142 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 clint:  20 mins ago
 RickSkid:  30 mins ago
 bhabbott:  36 mins ago
 BigD:  38 mins ago
 Diane:  41 mins ago
 VooDoo:  44 mins ago
 A1200:  48 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 1 min ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 1 min ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 22 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Looks like Amistore is getting close to release
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
samo79 
Re: Looks like Amistore is getting close to release
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 0:28:48
#21 ]
Elite Member

@zzd10h

Your tools are great, do not underestimate them

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

Profile     Report this post  
amigakit 
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 0:34:42
#22 ]
Amiga Kit

@zzd10h

Wow. Nice collection of tools, we would be happy to host them. Maybe you could do a collection for AMIStore bundling similar tools together?

Plexus 
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 6:17:12
#23 ]

@zzd10h

Use many of your programs every day and like them!
Thank you for Developing on AMIGA.

Developer like you not grow on trees

AmigaOne X5000, AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 2 special super 2 cores prepared super edition v75 christmas speciale uniqe quadro prepared AmigaOS... TWO MORE YEARS IS NOTHING IF YOU BEEN WAITING SINCE 1994..

zzd10h 
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 7:50:02
#24 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Overflow,@Samo79 @Plexus
Thank you guys

@AmigaKit
Great ! I will soon submit you a package.

Guillaume

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 7:58:04
#25 ]
Cult Member

@zzd10h

I use SysMon

tlosm 
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 8:17:24
#26 ]
Elite Member

@zzd10h

YES !! Guillaume is BRAVO!!!! ;)

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

TrevorDick 
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 8:55:31
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Nibunnoichi

I use SysMon too!

TrevorD

Daytona675x 
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 9:04:37
#28 ]

@Overflow
Quote:
Looking at Cherry Darling and others, they are porting their games across several platforms (android/ios), so im kinda wondering how much effort they have to make for them to tap into the market on Amiga. 2000-3000 isnt a whole lot split between a several people if it takes months for example, but atleast it adds up ontop of what you get from other platforms.

We earn nothing from our games. If you do a real calculation time-and-money-spent vs. income you end up with a negative number The AceOfHearts DVD sales for example were just enough to compensate for the DVD creation costs. And the few donations, although highly appreciated of course, don't even cover the cigarette-costs of H2o and me during development

Same with the mobile platforms. I think VoxelNoid and VoxelBird sales combined were less than 25 € when I last checked. While the Amiga market is too small, the mobile market is too large and the price you can charge is insanely low.

But well, we knew that from the beginning. If you think you can do that for a living then you're wrong. Unless you are very very very lucky (chances like a win in the lottery) and just make the right game at the right time on mobiles or are a big company with big name.

But lets see what your Amiga sales would have to look like to get enough from it in our case:
a 2.5 member team, working at least 2 months fulltime each on a decent title means about 15.000 € to cover the living-costs and taxes. So even if there were 2000 customers you can't sell it for less than about 10 €. And you would not have actually earned something, would be just enough to keep you rolling.

Of course you'd never ever sale even near 2000 copies. Simply because tastes are different or some people just don't like gaming etc. So at the very best you will probably sale 500 copies, if it's a killer game (a killer game will most likely take more than 2 months development time though, but well...).
So a copy would have to cost about 30 €. Phew, but that's probably too much for many people...

You see? You can twist and turn it like you want, it's highly unlikely to even cover your costs. At least that unlikely that you should not hope for it

It's for fun and maybe some pocket money and I doubt that this will ever change.
But we'll continue nevertheless Because it's our passion and (at the moment) we can afford it and we have enough spare-time for that hobby - unless Trevor writes another 6 pages article for the AF and keeps me busy translating it

Last edited by Daytona675x on 31-Oct-2014 at 09:11 AM.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 9:15:50
#29 ]

@Daytona675x
Yep, next month i will start a Bonus program in "our store" (no offend here please, cg stop moanig we are all sitting in the same boat and this is not hijacking). So the idea is to share revenue with active developers.
In the Moment we have only 18 registered devs, so the Chance to land under the top ten (who will be rewarded every month) is still 10/18 : ) Don't expect that much (in the Moment it would be around 10€ per dev /month). Realistically it will raise by factor 2 or 3 around January cause of new license deals and extra income generated elsewhere.
Maybe an extra Inspiration for amistore as well.

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 31-Oct-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Overflow 
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 10:02:03
#30 ]

@Daytona675x

Yep, what you wrote is kinda what I suspected.

The problem with the Amiga market in the past is that developers make a game/program, make 1 or 2 posts on different forums, and if Amigans doesnt read forums every single day, they probarly miss the news.
Take Battle Squadron for example. Quite enjoyable and polished, but unless you are activly looking for the news, you wont know about it.
I also suspect as long as there is just a "donate" button, people download the game/software (thinking "ill donate after I decide I enjoy it), enjoys using it but forget to donate

While OSDepot and Aminet got alot of software available, its not superuserfriendly from the point that there is so much available and you cant read reviews/comments or pictures easily. People wont buy from OSDepot/Aminet on impulse.
With Online Shops people can directly browse, and if there is a pricetag included by default, people will to increasing degree actually pay for Developers efforts.
Again I will mention Steam. In the past I bought very few games. Everyone I know from the late 80s and forward just pirated floppies, cds and dvds. Then ISOs. ISOs are still available, but these days every single person I know pirated in the past are now BUYing thru Online shops. Its a matter of CONVINIENCE.

Your point about Android/IOS market being too large, drowning your game makes sense. The ones I know downloaded Voxelbird did it directly cause I played it, they got curious about it while I played, and bought it too.

I do not have any illusion that it will be much more than "pocketmoney" as you say, as you saw from my comment I quoted "100-200" units sold. Maybe thats too optimistic, but I do think Shops will improve things a little

@phoenixkonsole

Thanks for your input, its what I was looking for with my post. Getting a realistic picture from a Shop and developer point of view.

Its a bit like with zzd10h's tools. I might or might not have donated once I get OS4.1 up and running, but if/when he puts up a tools collection package on AmiStore, I know I will BUY it. I would not suprised if many people are just as lazy as me. If you put the bill infront of me I will pay it. Make it optional, not so likely

Last edited by Overflow on 31-Oct-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Last edited by Overflow on 31-Oct-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Last edited by Overflow on 31-Oct-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Last edited by Overflow on 31-Oct-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Last edited by Overflow on 31-Oct-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Last edited by Overflow on 31-Oct-2014 at 10:03 AM.

Hans 
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 10:56:09
#31 ]
Elite Member

@Daytona675x

Quote:

Daytona675x wrote:
Same with the mobile platforms. I think VoxelNoid and VoxelBird sales combined were less than 25 € when I last checked. While the Amiga market is too small, the mobile market is too large and the price you can charge is insanely low.

But well, we knew that from the beginning. If you think you can do that for a living then you're wrong. Unless you are very very very lucky (chances like a win in the lottery) and just make the right game at the right time on mobiles or are a big company with big name.

Yes, the mobile app market is hard. It's oversaturated with developers churning out apps, and the prices have been dragged down due to too many people thinking "I'll compete by being cheaper, and make up for it in volume."

However, you don't have to get lucky or be a well-known brand. You do need to spend a lot of time (and possibly money) promoting/marketing your apps. See this infographic for some data on that. Promotion and marketing is particularly difficult for us software developers, because it requires a totally different way of thinking.

You have to work hard to persuade as many people to download it and try it out as possible. Who do you know that could help spread the word? Once you've got lots of downloads, then things start getting easier. More people will download it just because it's popular. Plus, the more downloads (and positive reviews), the higher up in the search results your app will be, making it more likely for people to stumble on it.

Anyway, it's hard and a lot of work, but it can be done. IIRC, Entwickler-X (AmiBoing) have managed to get them selves to the point where they work full-time on their games.

Hans

Overflow 
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 11:14:56
#32 ]

@Hans

Indeed.

Tho I wasnt even aware of MACE Tower Defence.

http://www.entwickler-x.de/maceTowerDefense.php

I guess its cause it aint released for Amiga platform. If Hans hadnt mentioned it I wouldnt have looked... visibility helps (again, Stores).

Daytona675x 
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 11:21:21
#33 ]

@Hans
Yes, looks like a combination of "very very very lucky, right game at the right time" (= apparently Flupp and some other clones of popular games in the case of Entwickler-X) and maybe investment in advertising (= where to get that money for that from? Most likely from those very-very-lucky-earnings from before ).

It is simply nothing you can count for. Unless either you're lucky or have a financial background that allows you to do what you want in the first place

Out of curiosity: is this information on Entwickler-X being fulltime game-makers (who can live from it) still true? Since this article you linked to is more than one year old.

Last edited by Daytona675x on 31-Oct-2014 at 11:24 AM.

zzd10h 
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 12:22:56
#34 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@amigakit

PM sent ;)

amigakit 
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 13:43:47
#35 ]
Amiga Kit

@zzd10h

replied :)

Thanks!

eliyahu 
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 13:46:43
#36 ]

@Daytona675x

Quote:
Yes, looks like a combination of "very very very lucky, right game at the right time" (= apparently Flupp and some other clones of popular games in the case of Entwickler-X) and maybe investment in advertising (= where to get that money for that from? Most likely from those very-very-lucky-earnings from before ).

one thing that helped was that M.A.C.E. and tower defense were both mentioned on a couple of major mobile enthusiast sites, including crackberry. i imagine visibility like that helps quite a bit. i only knew about the cherry darling games, for example, via amiga sites.

-- eliyahu

Hans 
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 22:08:29
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Daytona675x

Quote:

Daytona675x wrote:
@Hans

There are ways to do marketing that don't require money; just a lot of time and effort. For example, you got your message out to AmigaOS (MOS, AROS) users by posting news items here and on other AmigaOS forums/news sites. That IS marketing, and it didn't cost you a single cent. Well, the mobile gaming community also has forums and news sites. You could become active member(s) of various popular mobile gaming/Android/iOS forums.** First, you simply start posting replies and taking part in the discussions. Next, you can add a link to your website in your signature. Once you're an active part of that forum, you can post news items about your new games.

Similarly, gamedev.net allows their members to submit screenshots. These end up on a screenshot showdown page, where their community vote which one gets featured as the Image-Of-The-Day (IOTD). The IOTD and showdown pages are both extra exposure.

Another technique that some people have success contacting bloggers and offering them a free copy to review. This can be very time consuming, and you can expect a lot of rejections because these guys probably receive lots of review requests (so yours had better look interesting).

All of this is time consuming, and requires some persistence (i.e., don't expect to do this for a week and be done with it). They're the digital equivalent of a salesman driving around and visiting companies, markets, shows, etc. However, if you have time but not money...

Quote:
Out of curiosity: is this information on Entwickler-X being fulltime game-makers (who can live from it) still true? Since this article you linked to is more than one year old.

You'll have to ask them that.

@all

Sorry for continuing an off-topic conversation. But, wouldn't it be awesome if Daytona675x could earn enough from his games that he and his team of 2.5 could spend more time making them (and the AmigaOS versions, of course )?

Hans

** IMPORTANT: Do NOT sign up, and immediately start posting links to your site/games, or you'll likely get banned as a spammer. You need to be an active part of their community. Take part in discussions, just like you do here.

Last edited by Hans on 31-Oct-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Last edited by Hans on 31-Oct-2014 at 10:09 PM.

amigakit 
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 22:22:25
#38 ]
Amiga Kit

@Hans

Some good advice there!

Overflow 
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 22:49:21
#39 ]

And you got the whole email marketing about new games to people that have signed up/bought from you before.

amigakit 
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 23:23:09
#40 ]
Amiga Kit

@Overflow

Thats true- organic marketing.

However, the community is so small, word does get around fast about a new game/app if it is good.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle