Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 163 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  13 mins ago
 amigakit:  37 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  39 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr ago
 BigD:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 AndreasM:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 35 mins ago
 Swisso:  3 hrs 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Looks like Amistore is getting close to release
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Overflow 
Re: Looks like Amistore is getting close to release
Posted on 31-Oct-2014 23:37:17
#41 ]

@amigakit

You would think so, but as i mentioned in the other thread; its sometimes a matter of reeling in those that aint frequenting forums daily or even weekly.
Or those that have stopped reading.

MACE's brilliant and colorful graphics would surely make people people take a closer look, if attached in the mail, instead of automatically deleted.

As said before, not sure if its worth the effort vs gains. Just throwing it out there.

Last edited by Overflow on 31-Oct-2014 at 11:38 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
amigakit 
Posted on 1-Nov-2014 10:32:24
#42 ]
Amiga Kit

@Overflow

Perhaps a bit of traditional marketing is needed too. There are many ex Amigas out there that do not frequent this site so getting their attention for new developments is important.

Overflow 
Posted on 5-Nov-2014 0:20:25
#43 ]

This is more of a generic question;

The install scripts of amiga programs have become better since I last where active (90s), but one thing Ive missed after getting spoiled with Window features; uninstall script.
I dont know how AOS 4.x works in that regard, but being able to remove a program automatically on WB 3.x also would be grand.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 5-Nov-2014 2:37:32
#44 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

Quote:
The install scripts of amiga programs have become better since I last where active (90s), but one thing Ive missed after getting spoiled with Window features; uninstall script.

Most programs do not need a install script.
Most programs store the data file in program directory, some even store the configuration file there.

The 2en most commem place to put config files are in the ENVARC:, they are just a few KB large, the system does not get faster by removing old prefs files, so way spend time trying to.

The problem with uninstall scripts in general, lets say you install a font, for a program, but you have 2en program also that needs that font, so you can't remove the font because there is more then one program using it.

The same is also true of libraries and mui classes that might have been installed.

This is in general the problem, if you wonted to solve this you need a package management system and database that keeps track of all installed items, and all program will need to be installed and uninstalled. But don't you think thats over kill, so what if there is library that is not used by any program, what harm does it do? Nothing, it does not slow down the system, it does harm the system.

But if you made uninstall script with out keeping track of what programs that used that library you run into problems.

Quote:
dont know how AOS 4.x works in that regard, but being able to remove a program automatically on WB 3.x also would be grand.

Package management systems under Linux often have meny problems because packages might conflict or package of different versions (and distributions) might not contain the same things, as a result if you install the wrong version things might stop working.

At least when a Amiga user installs some thing he knows what he has done, this gives him a better understanding of the system, and so he can manage it better, this is the Amiga way.

The best way to remove a program is just to delete it, and forget about what libraries and fonts that are installed after all they might be used by different programs, and forget about prefs files, they don't take any space.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 05-Nov-2014 at 02:45 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 05-Nov-2014 at 02:44 AM.

Overflow 
Posted on 5-Nov-2014 11:00:03
#45 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Yep fair points.

I was more thinking of modifications it might be doing to the startup sequence or similar things.
Ofcourse, if I want to clean that I can just ";" it out to see what effect that will have :)

Thanks for the reply!

Vistaus 
Posted on 5-Nov-2014 12:29:32
#46 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

That's exactly how Haiku's package management works so I'm game for that. Not that I really use Haiku, but I just like that approach better than that of my Linux laptop.

Last edited by Vistaus on 05-Nov-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle