Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 124 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 cncparts:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 Beajar:  2 hrs 37 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 43 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 43 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 3 mins ago
 OlafS25:  4 hrs 53 mins ago
 Bruce72:  4 hrs 54 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  5 hrs 42 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  Best free c complifer for classic amiga?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Thorham 
Re: Best free c complifer for classic amiga?
Posted on 20-Nov-2014 13:52:11
#21 ]

Probably SASC if you want to use it on an Amiga with 68030/68040. Last time I checked (years ago) VBCC was too slow, and GCC is slow even under WinUae. SASC is very usable for Amiga software. Not too slow, and produces reasonable code from what I've read.

Profile     Report this post  
DC_Edge 
Posted on 20-Nov-2014 18:56:45
#22 ]

My favorite was dice C
a review there:http://www.binarydevotion.com/?p=76

mainly because it's soooo easy o get in touch with it!
it need a real editor, I got to use AZ, then AZur for this task (and later Golded a peace of software almost as complex as lotusnotes Domino is!!).

Anyway, this is an ooOld compiler, if I do remember well, that was also the cheaper.

The author offered the compiler (maybe source code also? EDIT: there: http://legacy.obviously.com/dice/) for some time, but I think the mebsite disapeared in limbs.

Last edited by DC_Edge on 20-Nov-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Vanhapolle 
Posted on 20-Nov-2014 19:28:29
#23 ]

Lucjkily HiSoft C++ supports 68060. and i dont need powerPC support. i dont have hardware for it. actually is sad reaction coding style is changed for amigaos4.1 if i understanded correctly. i cannot start make main stuff for my program under OS3.9.

kamelito 
Posted on 20-Nov-2014 19:29:12
#24 ]
Cult Member

I wonder if SAS Institue is willing to sell the source code to the community, or maybe give it away...

Kamelito

matthey 
Posted on 20-Nov-2014 21:21:27
#25 ]

Quote:

Vanhapolle wrote:
Lucjkily HiSoft C++ supports 68060. and i dont need powerPC support. i dont have hardware for it. actually is sad reaction coding style is changed for amigaos4.1 if i understand correctly. i cannot start make main stuff for my program under OS3.9.

I've been trying to get vbcc so it doesn't generate any trapped/emulated instructions and most of the time there are none including floating point. Vbcc would be difficult to beat for 68k floating-point as it has pretty good vclib code and it supports many of the common C99 math functions. The new 68k C99 math libraries and more info on them is here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=74692

The best thing Hyperion could do to help proliferate Reaction is to release an updated 68k version with all the AmigaOS 4.x functionality and features. MUI is winning the battle of the GUIs now that they are releasing 68k versions again. I believe the 68k will become more important as thousands of 68k fpga Amiga users change the future.

Quote:

kamelit0 wrote:
I wonder if SAS Institue is willing to sell the source code to the community, or maybe give it away...

SAS/C is still used for some big computer customers. The Amiga was not big enough and was dying. There were some great Amiga fans at SAS/C who went above and beyond to provide professional service and support to the small Amiga market. I recall there being attempts by Amigans to open source or buy but the word came down from SAS/C management that there were too many copyrights in the code they were using.

matthey 
Posted on 9-Jan-2015 4:37:41
#26 ]

Quote:

OldFart wrote:
The only main 'gripe' I had with VBCC was its lack of support for the '__FUNC__' (iirc) preprocessor keyword. This may be a GCC specific one, but nonetheless I found it extremely handy. Often compiled my projects with both GCC and VBCC to squeeze the last sore points out of a source.

The new version of vbcc has been released and it supports C99 __func__. The changelog and new version of vbcc can be found here:

http://sun.hasenbraten.de/vbcc/

lylehaze 
Posted on 9-Jan-2015 7:25:23
#27 ]

@kamelit0

During my classic days, I spent a lot of time using the Lattice/SAS editor when coding.
After moving on to OS4, I found the se editor still worked (mostly) but had a few little
problems that had crept in.

I wrote a nice letter to SAS asking if they might release the code to just the se editor so that it could be updated and offered to the community. I got a very polite letter back explaining that it was not possible.

Very nice folks, but if they would not release the source to their editor, the chance of releasing a much larger portion of their Amiga product is very unlikely.

It's a shame too, the SAS/C environment was really comfortable to work in. I have even duplicated some of the features that I remember: I have set up a "New_Project" directory that has a skeleton project including code that is common to most of my projects, all pre-arranged and ready to go.
I have also played with methods to print all GCC error or warning output in red instead of black, and have even set up the means to click on any error to open the editor and jump to the offending line.

What I have is terribly crude compared to a proper IDE like CodeBench, but it's all just different ways to build projects.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle