Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
30 crawler(s) on-line.
 114 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  1 min ago
 Bruce72:  3 mins ago
 Rob:  34 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  51 mins ago
 t0lkien:  56 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 Troels:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 15 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Electric Car conversions (was Dodge SRT4)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
tonyw 
Re: Dodge SRT4 - any experts out there?
Posted on 28-Nov-2014 12:00:32
#21 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Quote:
Sorry for hijacking this thread TonyW

No worries, I think the original query has been closed.

In any case, it's only getting MORE interesting now.

I've always wanted to do an electric conversion myself. Some years ago Andy and I investigated the prospect of designing an AC controller (since there weren't that many around at the time, they were expensive and lacked elegant design). Unfortunately we estimated the NRE would be $150k to $200k, for a market of about a dozen units, so we abandoned the idea.

I always thought that the only way to go was to start with a AWD/4WD platform such as a Subaru or other small, light car. Use the 4WD to assure that acceleration/braking evenly loads all wheels without the risk of lockup or slippage.

Of course, most of the work would be in designing the traction controller - anti-skid regen, etc. I don't think I have that many years left on this planet !!

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Profile     Report this post  
AndyW 
Posted on 28-Nov-2014 13:11:10
#22 ]

@tonyw

I have a good enough solution for what I need in the short term (ie, prove that we can do it, so I can test it on a car, show people, see if there's actually a market etc), so thank you all :)

I also like the idea of the 4WD platform. There are plenty of other small, light 4WD platforms that I come across but most of them have transverse engines (the Subaru being an exception), and normally only the fast versions have 4WD with the rest being FWD. Eg

Mitsubishi Lancer (the Evo is the 4WD turbo version; Not sure about the Evo X but most of them have an active centre diff which you can PWM an oil control valve to control how much it locks up to control the torque split; this car is very popular in Time Attack racing and has won every year at WTAC in Sydney - you can get aftermarket diff controllers so you can set them up for the track / how the driver likes it)

and from the 90s:

Mazda 323 aka Mazda Familia aka Ford Laser / Telstar TX3 / TX5 - had a 4WD turbo version - early ones were the B6 engine, later were the BP. Centre diff was an open diff I think, or maybe an LSD, but the B6 version had an override where you could lock it mechanically. You can also run it in FWD mode which makes it easier to tune :)

Nissan Pulsar GTi-R - 4WD 2L turbo engine with individual throttle bodies. Not too sure about the centre diff in those

Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32 - R34) - This one had a longitudinal engine, 2.6L inline 6, twin turbo, electrically controlled centre diff which I think was also a PWM control. I think it just controls between the front being open (RWD car) and the diff being locked.

Toyota Aristo - I think this was a Japanese only import, but I've tuned one that had a 1UZFE V8 engine stock, and normally it's RWD but when it detects wheelspin it engages the centre diff and that locks up and it becomes a 4WD.

I don't know how useful these locking up systems would be for applying the regen brake bias to the front wheels, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Of course there's also the Bravo! I think Mazda motorsport made some 4WD RX7s for rallying where they used the 12A engine and Bravo gearbox / transfer case / etc.

Cheers
Andy

tonyw 
Electric Car Conversion (was Dodge SRT4)
Posted on 28-Nov-2014 21:10:08
#23 ]
Elite Member

@AndyW

I've changed the thread subject to the new content.

The Bravo of course only had a locked F-R transfer (chain drive to the 'head'shaft), so you can't use it on the road. Bloody heavy cog-box, designed for a 2.6L long-stroke slogger.

I have no preference over transverse/longitudinal engine orientation, although you get a bigger engine bay with a longitudinal installation.

What matters most is the amount of control (programmable) that you get with the platform and how much documentation there is to redesign it.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

QuikSanz 
Posted on 28-Nov-2014 21:15:38
#24 ]

@AndyW,

The STI model of Subaru Impreza has a dial to set F/R split ratio same as the Evo.

Chris

PS: Subaru has many Rally wins as well

Last edited by QuikSanz on 28-Nov-2014 at 09:38 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle