Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 80 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 JimS:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 Hans:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 32 mins ago
 Kremlar:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 1 min ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 35 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  4 hrs 45 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  4 hrs 45 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  A-EON acquires Aladdin4D for AmigaOS
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Robert 
Re: A-EON acquires Aladdin4D for AmigaOS
Posted on 12-Dec-2014 14:44:45
#61 ]
Cult Member

@lylehaze

Quote:

lylehaze wrote:
@Chris_Y

Just curious, as I've never tried Octamed,
Does it support MIDI?

It does on OS3.x
Not on NG.

Abel Soul - Check out our tunes on Spotify

Profile     Report this post  
Robert 
Posted on 12-Dec-2014 14:51:17
#62 ]
Cult Member

@Signal

Quote:

Signal wrote:
@lylehaze

Yes, it did, although it was rather...er...'odd' to use.

Odd perhaps but once you had the hang of it, it was really quick to set up control of external hardware.
It also allowed remote transport control which I used when recording.

The subsequent loss of this facility in OS4 / MOS was one of the reasons I switched to Mac.

I may well have been the only person in the world who used OctaMED this way but it worked well for me at the time.

lylehaze 
Posted on 12-Dec-2014 15:25:45
#63 ]

I have already sent an email to A-EON asking if I can speak with the Octamed programmer about proper MIDI support. Since most (all) current MIDI programs have been adapted to use CAMD, it would make sense if Octamed was also. This allows the use of modern MIDI interfaces, including m ultiple interfaces if you have them. It also allows interconnection between programs, so Bars&Pipes could record the octamed output directly.

The only difference from the users view would be that each (section, group, module, voice, track?) would have a MIDI output setting in addition to the current MIDI channel choice.

Bars&Pipes Professional, Score, and even CamdPlay all support remote transport controls (Start, Stop, Pause, Cue Position) as well.

As a Tracker, I agree that having AHI support is vital. I'm interested in MIDI support also because it fits well with the other stuff I am usually doing.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 12-Dec-2014 16:37:25
#64 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:
I'd be suprsed if I'd overtaken the like od Photogenics just yet, but it does have 12 blending modes (Normal, Multiple, Add,.....Dodge, Burn) and an increasing number of fiters, added UnsharpMask, tunable Gassian blur (as opposed to the fixed matrix version I previous created) and a BiLateral filter over the last weekend.

I also found an optimisation that doubled convolution speeds!

Nice! I'll give it another whirl next time I need to do something graphical.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 12-Dec-2014 16:43:59
#65 ]
Elite Member

@lylehaze

Quote:
I have already sent an email to A-EON asking if I can speak with the Octamed programmer about proper MIDI support. Since most (all) current MIDI programs have been adapted to use CAMD, it would make sense if Octamed was also.

Agreed, and it's probably the only way to get MIDI working on OS4 (I don't know how it used to do it). It would be a shame if the MIDI support was dropped, although I have no idea how popular it was.

scabit 
Posted on 12-Dec-2014 18:37:38
#66 ]

@eliyahu

Great news!

Hypex 
Posted on 13-Dec-2014 15:41:03
#67 ]
Elite Member

@Chris_Y

Quote:
The only way to get sound out of it is to run The Maestrix (which emulates a Maestro card, or creates a dummy library which redirects the sound to AHI at least).

That right and I know it's flawed and I haven't fixed it yet. But I expected OctaMED to be ported to OS4 years ago like it was meant to be and didn't expect we'd still need The Maestrix now! I thought it also might be a kick in the pants to get it ported but looks like things went the lazy way since it at least got OctaMED to work.

Anyway, it was fairly straight forward programming a Maestro API to redirect to AHI. Essentually it acts as a wrapper for AHI and the sound data is the same, it just copies messages. So I think adding AHI support to OctaMED should be fairly easy since it is already doing most of the work needed.

Also, IIRC, OctaMED was meant to get AHI support years ago. But then it went to the PC and the Amiga version stopped "playing".

Vistaus 
Posted on 19-Dec-2014 12:31:30
#68 ]

@Ancalimon

Java is constantly getting attacked for being insecure, at least here in Europe. Flash I do agree with, but on the other hand, Flash is slowly fading away. Even Adobe is helping HTML5 progress. Flash Player for Linux desktop (except Chrome) has been discontinued, so has Flash Player for webOS, BB10 and Android. OSX is expected to be the next one at an yet unknown date.

Robert 
Posted on 19-Dec-2014 12:47:41
#69 ]
Cult Member

@lylehaze

Quote:

lylehaze wrote:
I have already sent an email to A-EON asking if I can speak with the Octamed programmer about proper MIDI support. Since most (all) current MIDI programs have been adapted to use CAMD, it would make sense if Octamed was also. This allows the use of modern MIDI interfaces, including m ultiple interfaces if you have them. It also allows interconnection between programs, so Bars&Pipes could record the octamed output directly.

The only difference from the users view would be that each (section, group, module, voice, track?) would have a MIDI output setting in addition to the current MIDI channel choice.

Bars&Pipes Professional, Score, and even CamdPlay all support remote transport controls (Start, Stop, Pause, Cue Position) as well.

As a Tracker, I agree that having AHI support is vital. I'm interested in MIDI support also because it fits well with the other stuff I am usually doing.

This is good to hear.
Lack of MIDI in OctaMED on OS4 was a major factor in me ditching it.
It'd be nice to see it back.

ntromans 
Posted on 17-Jan-2015 22:07:11
#70 ]

I have a little request/suggestion for A-EON regarding Alladin 4D (aside from an AROS port, please); could future updates have the option of exporting models in STL format for 3D printing? Given that this technology is going to become more ubiquitous (in fact in the UK a part-works magazine has just been launched supplying parts to build a 3D printer). Whilst we'd still need Windows or Mac to run the 'printer driver', it would be rather cool to be able to do at least the design on an Amigaoid system (or use a printing bureau, of course). Anyway, just a thought.

Cheers,
Nigel.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 17-Jan-2015 22:29:37
#71 ]

@ntromans
We have blender

ntromans 
Posted on 17-Jan-2015 22:52:14
#72 ]

@phoenixkonsole

It will be interesting to see which AROS gets to run natively first.

Cheers,
Nigel.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 17-Jan-2015 22:59:01
#73 ]

@ntromans
Regarding stl: blender : )

Bugala 
Posted on 18-Jan-2015 12:36:50
#74 ]
Cult Member

@Topic

I had completely missed this piece of news until now.

I guess DiscreetFX finally got enough of Amiga people whining at them from every move they make and is planning to leave Amiga market. I would have rather seen them stay still, but I did wonder already long ago of how much more complaining can they still take.

What comes to Octamed, I dont think A-Eon is planning to purchase Octamed, for it seems to me as some otehrs have pointed out, that they are trying to establish minimum reguirements that modern OS needs, and since it seems digibooster is still strongly being developed, I guess they be just happy for that. No need for them to inject the development of something similar, like Octamed.

edit: wow, even worse, i had completely forgot this piece of news! Just noticed i had even commented about it before!

Last edited by Bugala on 18-Jan-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Last edited by Bugala on 18-Jan-2015 at 12:45 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 18-Jan-2015 19:08:28
#75 ]
Elite Member

@Bugala

Quote:
I guess DiscreetFX finally got enough of Amiga people whining at them from every move they make and is planning to leave Amiga market. I would have rather seen them stay still, but I did wonder already long ago of how much more complaining can they still take.

is there any example of an actual amiga product discreetfx have been releasing in the last ten years? i mean an actual product, one could really whine about, not preorder schemes or announcements?

Leo 
Posted on 18-Jan-2015 20:53:08
#76 ]

@wawa: apart from selling old versions of software he'd had purchased, promising the world (eg. Aladdin for every imaginable platform, inc. IPad, AROS,...), I don't think so.

So many announcements for nothing.

@Bugala: maybe there was a reason people complained... It's interesting how anyone putting some money in the Amiga can't be doing anything wrong so cannot be criticized... Even if what he does for ten years is false anoucements...

itix 
Posted on 18-Jan-2015 20:54:35
#77 ]
Elite Member

@Bugala

Quote:

Dont make yourself look like a fool.

Last edited by itix on 18-Jan-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Last edited by itix on 18-Jan-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Last edited by itix on 18-Jan-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Last edited by itix on 18-Jan-2015 at 08:58 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 18-Jan-2015 21:00:51
#78 ]
Elite Member

@itix

calm down, there is enough cool finns out there, i dont think i need to call the names;) oh .. edited;)??

Last edited by wawa on 18-Jan-2015 at 09:01 PM.

itix 
Posted on 18-Jan-2015 21:05:25
#79 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Yes edited it little bit... :D but everyone here is assumed to know DiscreetFX's track record :)

Robert 
Posted on 19-Jan-2015 12:20:37
#80 ]
Cult Member

@Bugala

Quote:
What comes to Octamed, I dont think A-Eon is planning to purchase Octamed, for it seems to me as some otehrs have pointed out, that they are trying to establish minimum reguirements that modern OS needs, and since it seems digibooster is still strongly being developed, I guess they be just happy for that. No need for them to inject the development of something similar, like Octamed.

Does Digibooster support MIDI?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle