Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 135 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigang

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigang:  24 secs ago
 Tpod:  37 mins ago
 pixie:  42 mins ago
 Birbo:  56 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 MarcioD:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  [Open Source] AmiDARK Engine Bug report fixing
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
resle 
Re: [Open Source] AmiDARK Engine Bug report fixing
Posted on 20-Jan-2015 2:22:43
#41 ]
Cult Member

Quote:
Good night for those that can spend one good... My health and the one of my child will definitively prevend me from having one good...
To all whom that can act with love.

No, wait a second. Let me read this again.

Quote:
Good night for those that can spend one good... My health and the one of my child will definitively prevend me from having one good...
To all whom that can act with love.

The community has succeeded in transforming a CODE REVIEW into a CHARLES DICKENS NOVEL. As they used to say, only Amiga makes it possible

Last edited by resle on 20-Jan-2015 at 02:30 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Minuous 
Posted on 20-Jan-2015 3:52:45
#42 ]

@AmiDARK

If you had spent half as much effort on fixing bugs as you have done on attacking Daytona for pointing out obvious errors, they would be fixed by now, and perhaps you would have a codebase you could be proud of.

>instead of standard 2 bugs per line

I don't know of any other projects with an average of 2 bugs per line...it certainly isn't a "standard" amount of bugs, even Microsoft software has less bugs than that.

Last edited by Minuous on 20-Jan-2015 at 05:10 AM.
Last edited by Minuous on 20-Jan-2015 at 03:54 AM.

ilbarbax 
Posted on 20-Jan-2015 7:44:33
#43 ]

@Minuous

The drama is that the comunità accepted to give on a hand to a guy with serious problems and the result is that we gave him another type of problems on top to the others

That's sad

itix 
Posted on 20-Jan-2015 7:52:33
#44 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

and BTW I will hopefully better not reviewed by you

I would be happy if Daytona reviewed my code.

resle 
Posted on 20-Jan-2015 8:17:11
#45 ]
Cult Member

@ilbarbax

Ehm.

What we have here is a guy who goes asking for help to his problems to a community known for harshness and drama, daydreaming on a computing device that died 20 years ago, by offering to sell unfinished code that no one ever used.

I am surprised things didn't turn out much worse than they did.

OlafS25 
Posted on 20-Jan-2015 9:32:13
#46 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Be careful what you wish

No seriously he is for sure a very skilled and experienced developer and if you survive the review you will have won a lot of experience and better code for sure

OlafS25 
Posted on 20-Jan-2015 9:44:16
#47 ]
Elite Member

@resle

What I do not understand is that here all is deadly serious, religious, this or that is "the only true" and so on

It is a hobby and a hobby platform because noone is serious working on it. Here it is a hobby programmer doing his first project and asking for financial help. It was very obvious that it is far from being finished and perhaps never be. And even if it is the chance that commercial developers will use it is pretty low because any "amiga-specific" solution that is not available on a number of commercial platforms will not be used. Noone programs for a market of a couple of thousands users today.

So it is a hobby project but Daytona is not only reviewing it like he would at job but also using harsh words. Perhaps he thinks so but this here is hobby. Noone of the donators did it for getting a stable full-usable completed engine.

So why people do not relax with what they have, contribute if they want to support something or not if they do not want. I did not contribute to the bounty because it is not supporting my favorite platforms and I do not see much sense in supporting hobby projects that even (in best case) do not improve the situation. For me (if ever) porting a available engine with existing projects that could be easily ported then would make more sense. But because of that I did not contribute to the bounty and do not do the bashing and down-talking.

@Itix

I do not critisize the technical but human side

Daytona675x 
Posted on 20-Jan-2015 9:49:45
#48 ]

@AmiDARK
Quote:
He have "high standing" concerning coding

Usually yes, but definitely not in this reviews. As I said multiple times I only concentrate on the very critical things and coding-style-issues that are potentially problematic. And actually I also just concentrate on the rather obvious issues.

Quote:
I give up on fighting against someone like him that think he is "god" and that can act in a forum like he want

I never said nor do I think that I am "god". Regarding this reviews: you definitely don't need to be a code-guru to find those bugs I found. They are all pretty obvious. Every decent C coder who invests some minutes to look at the code will find them easily.

The fact that you continue to say "demos work" even if it has been proven that this cannot be somehow makes you appear "god"-like - since for that to be true you'd have to be able to alter the laws of nature

Quote:
Saying I'm a so so so noob coder that the project should never have existed

Where? Btw.: even if I had said you were a noob coder, that's nothing bad. I was one myself once. In fact it would make it more outstanding if made by a noob if the code would actually work. What's bad is a coder (noob or pro, doesn't matter) who doesn't accept when he is proven that he writes wrong/bad code and who doesn't want to learn. Especially if that coder at the same time wants to sell his code to people who cannot determine the code's quality.

Quote:
I have understood he HATE the whole existence of the bounty we're talking about and it's only "unconscious" objective was to kill myself from wanting to continue project

Sorry, but you are so narrow-minded it really hurts (yes, yes, some people will most likely comment on my tone now again; to those: at least this time please check his post's tone first, full of accusations etc.). Try for one second to think logically:

if I really hated your project etc. I wouldn't help you (btw. despite your attitude towards me) and others to fix it and to make it become a success instead of a crappy unstable stillborn.

I don't hate your project. It is your attitude I don't like. The attitude you had since the very first post when I started pointing at some of your code's severe issues. I don't like that you deny bug reports. I don't like that you say my reports were wrong. I don't like that you lie / edit posts later to miscredit me. I don't like that you beef about my tone while forgetting that this tone is yours. I don't like that your bounty's desc tells potential donators things that are not true. I don't like that your bounty's desc just doesn't tell highly critical information (which is just a more elegant way to not tell the truth). In fact: yes, I don't like you or people like you. You made me not like you.

But I have nothing against your project.

If I really wanted to torpedize your project then I could do so easily:
I'd just edit your demos to enforce a code-flow where it triggers some of the highly critical lib-issues so that it constantly crashs, not just randomly. And then post those. Without any additional help, just with the information: hey, it crashs, try it. And it would crash for you, for everybody.
Voila, bounty not fulfilled, or at least it would be really hard to claim it being fulfilled even considering your low interpretation of the bounty's requirements.

Just like Minuous (and others) said:
Quote:
If you had spent half as much effort on fixing bugs as you have done on attacking Daytona for pointing out obvious errors, they would be fixed by now, and perhaps you would have a codebase you could be proud of.

After all: It is you, not me, who kills your project.

@OlafS25
Quote:
if that is a review in good mood I will hopefully never see you in bad mood

Really, it's rather "softy".

Quote:
It is a home-project done by someone just starting to learn C and the bounty was vy non-programmers supporting someone for charity and to support someone programming something for Amiga

If that were the words on the bounty's page all would be just fine. It wouldn't make the bugs less severe but at least it would have been clear to everybody what he gets. Not all people donated for charity or so (IIRC zzd10h said he did not donate for charity here, for example). The argument that if you had followed some forum talk then you had known that is just not valid. It may be valid for some donators but certainly not for all. And it is certainly not the way how a bounty should be.
So all in all: he should have told the truth - the complete truth - on the bounty page. (Not just) in my definition not doing so (and insisting in things that are not true, like "demos work" etc.) is mis-selling and fraud. And as being said: I don't like people who act that way. Especially not if such people start to talk about things like respect etc.

By acting the way he does he doesn't even show respect to his donators!

Quote:
you are taking it much too seriously, as phoenixconsole already said, almost deadly serious

Well: you want a code-review? You want bug-reports? Well, here you go If I do something I do it right and take it serious.
Besides that, considering what I said above, dunno: I find it more than adequate.

Quote:
That would be more positive and sympathic. But perhaps you are not interested in that

My reviews' aim is not to be sympatic. The aim is to be technically correct, to the point and helpful. That should make them positive enough.

@Minuous
@itix
Thanks!

Last edited by Daytona675x on 20-Jan-2015 at 09:58 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 20-Jan-2015 10:12:25
#49 ]
Elite Member

@Daytona675x

"My reviews' aim is not to be sympatic."

you have reached the goal

@zzd10h and others who might have donated "seriously"

Do they really think a amiga-specific solution will ever have any chance to be used by game developers? Sorry I am sometimes surprised what other people think. There is f.e. Antiryad Gx, it is available, it is running stable and people do not need to donate. Even commercial license is cheap and it is cross-platform. How many Amiga game developers have started to use it? How many are still there at all (except Daytona and 2 others). Some small games are developed with Hollywood.

Yes I must admit that the "charity character" and the state of the project should have been better shown in the bounty. Perhaps Amidark was not aware of the situation as well because if you are the only one doing a project you do automatically not certain things another one would perhaps do. In this sense "code review" done by somebody like you is worth a lot. What I only asked is not use harsh or down-qualifying words because it can hurt people who have invested a lot of time even if they understand that it is true. For future projects it might sense if seomeone reviews existing code before creating the bounty text.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 20-Jan-2015 10:39:17
#50 ]

@OlafS25
things will Change... putting a 2.000.000 Project on indiegogo does wonders to get in touch with normal press.

Later this year i plan to broadcast some adverts on local TV-Station called NRW-TV (more People Living there than in Australia)... remember when computing was fun : )

It may reach People but all in all I really would just enjoy to see this in TV : )

Work on the Advert has started and freelancers from 4 countries do their contributions. It will definetly be better than the advert of the local OPEL dealer ; )

The whole promo Video will be around 40minutes but it depends on several short Clips and testimonials whch will be aired... : p

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 20-Jan-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 20-Jan-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 20-Jan-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 20-Jan-2015 at 10:40 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 20-Jan-2015 10:50:06
#51 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

"2.000.000 "? 2.000.000 €?

whose 
Posted on 20-Jan-2015 10:51:46
#52 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
Do they really think a amiga-specific solution will ever have any chance to be used by game developers?

If you mean "big international" game developers, I´m quite sure that no Amigan would think of that. If you mean "Amiga only" game developers: Well, they certainly would think of that.

In fact, some Amiga game developers used their own "engines" to make games. I think Antiryad isn´t exactly the kind of game development engine Amiga developers would like to use. If it would be so, it would have been used already.

@Daytona675x:

Weitermachen!

OlafS25 
Posted on 20-Jan-2015 10:55:28
#53 ]
Elite Member

@whose

"Amiga only" developers using something that is only available for amiga? I can count them (from memory) on one hand. And normally they already have their own environment.

Robert 
Posted on 20-Jan-2015 11:07:25
#54 ]
Cult Member

@itix

Quote:
I would be happy if Daytona reviewed my code.

Likewise.
I know I'm not a very good programmer and sometimes it helps to have your errors not just pointed out but explained.
Even if the tone of such advice is condescending, so long as it is accurate it will help you become a better programmer and, perhaps more importantly in this case, allow the software to perform better.

Abel Soul - Check out our tunes on Spotify

terminills 
Posted on 20-Jan-2015 12:11:39
#55 ]
AROS Core Developer

@OlafS25

Quote:
if that is a review in good mood I will hopefully never see you in bad mood

All Daytona675x is doing is pointing out bugs and explaining how to fix them. The only emotions I see are from the rabid defense of those bug vs working on fixing them.

After reading this thread I wish they allowed him to do the code review for the Timberwolf bounty. :)

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

ASiegel 
Posted on 20-Jan-2015 12:58:57
#56 ]

Apologies for the off-topic comments...

@phoenixkonsole

Quote:

phoenixkonsole wrote:
things will Change... putting a 2.000.000 Project on indiegogo does wonders to get in touch with normal press.

A high asking price is hardly enough to be reported about in a positive context. I hope there is an adequate and credible project description to back up the fundraising effort. As you have been made aware, your previous efforts in this area left room for improvements.

Quote:

Later this year i plan to broadcast some adverts on local TV-Station called NRW-TV (more People Living there than in Australia)...

For the sake of accuracy, I would like to point out that Northrhine Westfalia has a population of 18 million whereas Australia´s population is 23 milion people. So, in fact, there are more people living "down there" than there are where you live. 5 more million even.

Moreover, this particular channel is only available in Unitymedia cable networks to TV viewers. In Germany, roughly 40% of the population watches TV content via cable. Nevermind the fact that, regardless of theoretical reach, NRW.TV has - relatively speaking - tiny TV viewership numbers in practice.

Last edited by ASiegel on 20-Jan-2015 at 01:00 PM.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 20-Jan-2015 14:54:59
#57 ]

@ASiegel
: ) the one for indieGO console (not the 2nd one i posted here) was quite good and I got in touch to some People and got Attention of Magazines and local newspapers. I still get request for a release date so interest was and is there.

I got also contact from indiegogo's own PR-Crew but I had no time (at the same time I had lucrative things on the table) and to be honest few to Show at that time.

Interestingly we could still beat Valve with SteamOS...

Now the strategy is to finish the Basic functionality, release it, make some Videos (with actors - not me I am not beautiful enough) and give it a new try.

Even if it fails, it will gain enough free PR like the first try.

The difference to the indieGO-Appstore we released so far is that the other one works 3D-accelerated and will work also on slow things as a Pi.

Next year I plan to try it outside the niche. This year is still needed for preperations and fun Advertising : )

-----
my failure: • Fast soviel Bewohner wie Australien< : )
Of course the channel is not RTL (AsiTV) but it is not too expensive

It is just funny. Also i have this in mind:
http://nrw.tv/computerclub-2/

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 20-Jan-2015 at 02:56 PM.

noXLar 
Posted on 20-Jan-2015 16:40:32
#58 ]
Cult Member

@phoenixkonsole

Sorry, but can't you start a new tread with this in mind? instead of highjacking this bug report tread with you ads

Develin 
Posted on 20-Jan-2015 17:43:05
#59 ]

I think we shall be glad that there are such dedicated ppl like Daytona.
The software quality have been considerable higher and that is something that we should head for in a system w/o any form of MP at all =)

@Daytona

You can review my code anyday ;-P

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 20-Jan-2015 18:37:30
#60 ]

@noXLar
no, but we can just come back to topic.

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 20-Jan-2015 at 06:37 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle