Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 103 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  1 min ago
 amigakit:  29 mins ago
 Maijestro:  42 mins ago
 Hypex:  42 mins ago
 fingus:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 amigagr:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  AROS Software
      /  Bounty to port Qt 5.4 to AROS and MorphOS
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
phoenixkonsole 
Re: Bounty to port Qt 5.4 to AROS and MorphOS
Posted on 28-Jan-2015 20:51:52
#21 ]

@samo79
This combined with OS4-isms, like library interfaces, P96, sobjs, etc. make it hard reuse code from the OS4 port.

Merging with the current OS4 Qt repo would be very impractical for the aforementioned reasons.

---------------------------------------

Not that this is reason enough but:

AROS and MOS are like sisters... AmigaOS 4 is the Tyrion of games of thrones. Belongs somehow to the family but does a lot quite different (maybe better... but different). Too much difference..

So it is impractical.
You could ask "we buy the world" AEONkit to start a AmigaOS4 related bounty and convince them to use what BSzili will create in this bounty... if possible.

Maybe Bszili will take it later... but for now it is impractical.

Profile     Report this post  
samo79 
Posted on 28-Jan-2015 22:50:37
#22 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

Quote:
AROS and MOS are like sisters...

Not entire true.
There are tons of multiple Amiga's project on Sourceforge containing code compilable everywhere, there aren't any technical issue in carrying out projects between all platforms using a single repository and then sharing the code in between

Quote:
You could ask "we buy the world" AEONkit to start a AmigaOS4 related bounty and convince them to use what BSzili will create in this bounty

Well even if in your words appears a certain form of discomfort against OS4 you must understand that actually the situation is quite the opposite, it is you who may have greater need of the current (almost stable) OS4's sources, not the opposite ... in case of a merge AROS and MOS will be the first to gain some benefits.

Last edited by samo79 on 28-Jan-2015 at 10:53 PM.

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

OlafS25 
Posted on 28-Jan-2015 23:14:24
#23 ]
Elite Member

@samo79

discomfort? By Phoenixconsole? To AmigaOS or Aeonkit? Really?

Besides personal preferences or like or not like something or parties there involved Bszili said reasons why AmigaOS is not included:

because it is very difficult to support additionally to AROS and MorphOS and that is becoming even worse, a big mistake BTW by the AmigaOS devs,

there is already a Qt port and he does not want to come in conflict with the other dev

and Qt 4.7 and Qt 5.4 are very different so combining does not make much sense. If the port is completed who knows if the AmigaOS camp makes a bounty then perhaps it is ported to AmigaOS too.

Bszili takes the bounty so he must decide what is realistic and what not

Last edited by OlafS25 on 28-Jan-2015 at 11:16 PM.

samo79 
Posted on 29-Jan-2015 0:02:32
#24 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
because it is very difficult to support additionally to AROS and MorphOS and that is becoming even worse, a big mistake BTW by the AmigaOS devs

Again this is a myth, OS4 is not so technical different compared to others, yes there are various difference between OS4 and MOS, but there are also differences between MOS and AROS ... but such difference (and the time to spend to solve them) are incomparable with a completely new port taked from an alien platform from where probably you will take the new code (Linux)

If you prefer you can add a separate brench for 5.4 but using the same repo, then later step by step start using the existent code (or just a part of it if some incompatibility or partially incompatibility happens) --> at the end that means LESS work and a FAST port

Quote:
there is already a Qt port and he does not want to come in conflict with the other dev

BINGO !

Quote:
If the port is completed who knows if the AmigaOS camp makes a bounty then perhaps it is ported to AmigaOS too.

Great 100 different bounties for the same goal !
Then maybe years of waiting for rewriting the same stuff (or very similar stuff) again and again, then more money to spent to have exactly the same or even worse 2 or 3 incompatible versions, only Amiga !

I ask you a question: do you have an idea of how hard this port is ?

Do you think that it will be just a compile and run ? No that's not ..
This is a very very hard project, Alfkil, and look we are talking about a very good developer took almost 2 years just to make it really usable so you can imagine ...

Unfortunely Alfkil (even if often availible on forums) still actually busy, but the smart choice will be working side by side with him in order to (later) try to work on the same codebase, sure considering that Alfkil is currently busy some organization problems might be, but less compared to rewriting alone the whole stuff.

Last edited by samo79 on 29-Jan-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Last edited by samo79 on 29-Jan-2015 at 12:05 AM.

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

Seiya 
Posted on 29-Jan-2015 2:26:25
#25 ]

wow, this is great news!

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 29-Jan-2015 6:39:27
#26 ]

@samo79
2 bounties are not 100 bounties.

Again using the os4 crap means more waste of time.

The cleanest source is the original qt.
Not the messed up os4 port. (Messed up because changes don't apply to aros )

Another one: qt 4 is not 5.

And if you force me to discuss further I pay bszili 2000€ a month after tax to ditch is os4 support at all.

Of course it belongs to him to accept this.

I have no discomfort against os4 but against a majority of amiga.org members.
But this discomfort has nothing to do with the reasons we try to describe.

Anyway os4 has now big players to support it. Talk to them. I will not support a os4 project with a Pennie. For what ? To support a competitor ?

I believe the working together strategy of the last years failed so better decide for a arch and focus on that.

I see mos using aros as ground for a platform switch in some years. So os4 is redundant and should be put to the trash can.

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 29-Jan-2015 at 06:44 AM.

K-L 
Posted on 29-Jan-2015 8:26:11
#27 ]

@phoenixkonsole

Quote:

Well, this comment explains many things about your real thinkings.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 29-Jan-2015 8:38:05
#28 ]

@K-L
Sure... I tried to work together.. ending in waste of time, energy and Money.
So i Change my "thinking" and just take OS4 out of the math.
Saves time, and frees more ressources and energy. The earlier People will understand that AROS and MorphOS provides more, the earlier they will switch over.

Oh and from a "supporter pov" I can tell you that having no 3D and having no overlay Support over years (i stoped to check if it is working after 2years) i am really convinced that supporting OS4 is waste of everything you can think of.

Heck.. where is the HW? Where are the Drivers? Money is flowing... but for what? Same stupidity like Comodore used to Show.. or Amiga inc or whoever came later.

Also.. Aeonkit buys and buys and buys.. with negative effects for all others.
So I just can't Support this practice in any active or passive way.

Equality or nothing. No equality = no Support anymore.
You don't care anyway. Right? We will see.

BTW:
People can Change their thinking... so I did.

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 29-Jan-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 29-Jan-2015 at 08:39 AM.

salass00 
Posted on 29-Jan-2015 8:49:35
#29 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

Quote:

Well good of you to finally show your true colours.

I assume you won't be using my AROS port of filesysbox.library then as it's based on "os4 crap" as you so eloquently put it.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 29-Jan-2015 8:51:54
#30 ]

@salass00
Read my last post, I ignore your wrong interpretation of reasons.

I have more a problem with your wrong gods than with the religion.

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 29-Jan-2015 at 08:53 AM.

sinisrus 
Posted on 29-Jan-2015 9:08:01
#31 ]

@phoenixkonsole

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 29-Jan-2015 9:11:39
#32 ]

@sinisrus
Hmmm I don't believe that forum control and buying software instead of open sourcing is a friendly move.

Edit
I drink some tea and do yoga.... Maybe I am interpreting the signs in a Wong way...
Give peace a chance...

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 29-Jan-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 29-Jan-2015 at 09:14 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 29-Jan-2015 9:20:28
#33 ]
Elite Member

@samo79

The differences are not myth but I heard it already from different developers. Even "smal differences" can cause a lot of headaches for a developer, expecially if one is not experienced with all of them (and there are not many with that experience, most only support one platform). I read on different occassions that something was rewritten for AmigaOS in a incompatible way. So if someone compiles it for different platforms and the software not runs on AmigaOS and there is not enough documentation, decent IDE and class libraries he will propably drop support instead of investing lots of time to find the problem. And that will happen more and more in future (my prediction). AROS and MorphOS are very very similar in opposition.

Regarding support of AmigaOS (or not) is decision of Bszili (and not of mine or Phoenixconsole) who has taken the bounty and is one of the few who has much experience on all 3 platforms.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 29-Jan-2015 at 09:28 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 29-Jan-2015 9:21:53
#34 ]
Elite Member

well, if supporting amiga, aros, morphos and os4 by one developer is technically so easy and beneficent, then i wonder why it has not happened before when qt has been ported to os4. whatever the answer, it was the developers decision at that time as it is now. previously this question might have not even been asked, at least this time the motives have been explained and, who would have thought, it has nothing to do with emotions or policy.

Last edited by wawa on 29-Jan-2015 at 09:23 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 29-Jan-2015 9:27:13
#35 ]
Elite Member

@K-L

phonixkonsole is a emotional person so please take his wording not too seriously

What he meant is (what I explained before) the differences between AmigaOS on one side and AROS/MorphOS on the other side are so big that it is difficult to create bigger sources that cover all platforms.

And it is Bszilis decision what task he wants to take. And if someone moans about "100s of bounties" I was wondering too about a "mplayer" bounty for AmigaOS too because I thought mplayer was from Fab (MorphOS).

Last edited by OlafS25 on 29-Jan-2015 at 09:32 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 29-Jan-2015 9:32:18
#36 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

if you buy something and invest additional money for development it is ok for me to keep it closed (even if I am personal a fan of open source of course)

There is a chance, the more successful the other platforms become the more difficult it will become to not support them. That is my view. And at least 68k is supported so there is a chance that at least the 68k versions run on AROS or MorphOS.

salass00 
Posted on 29-Jan-2015 9:34:21
#37 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

Gods, religion? WTF.

I don't judge people by what operating system they use and neither should you.

OlafS25 
Posted on 29-Jan-2015 9:35:59
#38 ]
Elite Member

@salass00

we appreciate your support

Phoenixkonsole was disappointed about Aeonkit so he is "slightly negative" now and Hyperion (the OS devs) are not known for much interest in cooperation too.

I hope that at least the 3rd party developers can work together to some degree

BSzili 
Posted on 29-Jan-2015 9:39:03
#39 ]

@samo79

Let me set a few things straight. OS4 has actually brought many changes to the AmigaOS API. You can make it source-code compatible with OS3 for the most part by defining a couple of macros and compiler flags, picking the "portable" APIs, linking with aux libraries, etc. Practically this means that the code has to be written with cross-platform compatibility in mind, unless you want to add tons of preprocessor conditions making it unreadable. Otherwise you are pretty much locked into OS4.
Moreover even alfkil can confirm that there were big internal changes after Qt 4.7. This is why he couldn't just "copypasta" his code into Qt 4.8. Trying to merge the Qt 5.x into a Qt 4.7 would be unfeasible.
Does this mean that I'll write everything from scratch? Nope. Being the lazy bugger I am, I'll make sure to reuse as much from the OS4 Qt 4.7 port as I can. All I said was that the aforementioned reasons limit my options.

The funny thing is that all of this has nothing to do with why OS4 isn't covered by the bounty. It's easier to port from AROS/MOS to OS4 compared to the other way around, as long as one is fine with not using OS4-only APIs, like the library interfaces. It's just that Alfkil already started the OS4 port of Qt5, and I'm not interested in doing duplicate work. I have also zero interest in identity politics, I'm talking about technical issues here. There is nothing wrong with having an opinion, but having an informed opinion is even better. I really hope that when alfkil resumes the work on Qt 5 we can have a common codebase, but this requires compromises. Even if this doesn't happen, we can still benefit from each other's work.

OlafS25 
Posted on 29-Jan-2015 9:39:48
#40 ]
Elite Member

@salass00

if you read the forum thread it sometimes seems so. I had also some discussions in the beckground that also thought that way. But that were mostly users (in some cases funnily not even owning AmigaOS).

But we should let it there and work together were possible.

Bszili is supporting all 3 platforms and certainly not a hater of any of them so if he says merging code makes no sense he certainly knows what he says.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle