Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 118 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

amigakit,  zErec

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zErec:  1 min ago
 amigakit:  4 mins ago
 BigD:  13 mins ago
 OlafS25:  18 mins ago
 retrofaza:  33 mins ago
 kolla:  47 mins ago
 edwardsjethro:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 joeyunderwood:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 Sikharubel:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Hyperion Entertainment is not bankrupt
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 Next Page )
PosterThread
BigD 
Re: Hyperion Entertainment bankrupt?
Posted on 26-Apr-2015 8:38:23
#1861 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Quote:
An apology to the people who are at least prepared to pay money to run it under emulation would seem to be in order, as would reigning in the hypocrisy a bit.

I support the 'Amiga' by buying classic hardware/software and repairing hardware at AmigaKit and the Amiga Repair Center. I have every intention of getting a new Cyrus board based AmigaOne. I'd want something with the performance of the X1000 but for less money. Cyrus seems to fit the bill. For the time being my A4000T is performing admirably on my 256 colour High-Res Laced animation on Deluxe Paint V . I'm not even sure a X-1000 or Win-UAE would handle the animation features, AGA modes and advanced palette features of Deluxe Paint V as well as my A4000T, hence my hesitancy in jumping onto the NG bandwagon.

My point on this thread is there are a lot of people who either wanted Hyperion to be bankrupt and AmigaOS to magically become open source or for AmigaOS to be magically ported to x86 (or to continue emulating AmigaOS classic edition indefinitely) so they can ignore A-Eon and ACube and hence contribute to those companies going into bankruptcy too! They pretend to be 'Amiga' fans and yet only seem to want to see the destruction of the people and companies who put their hard earned money into supporting our platform and try and push it forward. At least I have every intention of supporting 'Amiga' hardware and software companies and yes by that I obviously mean AmigaOS and AmigaOne companies which to all intensive purposes (Amiga Inc. would rather sell Cinemaware Games on Blackberries) are the 21st century embodiment of the 'Classic' Commodore Amiga.

All the negative comments here wreak of the opinions of A500 owners who refused to upgrade to A1200s when they came out in 1992 but had no problem buying £1500+ PeeCees around about 1995/6!

@OlafS25

Quote:
What Amiga hardware of Aeon or Acube do you own?

I didn't see your question as it was hidden at the bottom of one of the pages here but I've answered this recently on the Commodore Amiga Visual Compendium thread and don't see that it discounts me from this one.

Last edited by BigD on 26-Apr-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 26-Apr-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 26-Apr-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 26-Apr-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 26-Apr-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 26-Apr-2015 at 08:41 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 26-Apr-2015 8:45:11
#1862 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

"From a legal point of view, AmigaOS and AmigaOne are the only what remains of Amiga platform."

Hmmm I was at a amiga meeting I saw a lot of Amigas but noone with stickers like "AmigaOS" or "AmigaOne". With Apollo project there will be upgrade cards with better features also at the horizont. So I sincerely doubt that you are correct there.

Regarding platforms being official called "Amiga" with a label on it finally who is interested in it today except some crazies like us. Outside most people propably never heard of it ("Amiga? Is that a new smartphone?" ). But as cdimauro wrote, "Amiga One" (even with a more and more shrinking "One") is still not "Amiga", not from a legal point of view and even for most amiga users from a emotional view.

pavlor 
Posted on 26-Apr-2015 9:15:06
#1863 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
Hmmm I was at a amiga meeting I saw a lot of Amigas but noone with stickers like "AmigaOS" or "AmigaOne".

Not produced anymore.

Quote:
" with a label on it finally who is interested in it today except some crazies like us.

Exactly, it is important to US!

Quote:
"Amiga One" (even with a more and more shrinking "One") is still not "Amiga",

It has Amiga in name and it is brand created by Amiga.Inc, do you need more?

Today, only Amiga named computers in production are AmigaOne boards.

OlafS25 
Posted on 26-Apr-2015 9:20:48
#1864 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

it does not make you very credible. I have no problem with people not owning SAMs or X1000s but it is a little strange not owning one and at the same time condemning others to do the same. What you expect of others you must do yourself. And saying you do not own any but you will "100%" buy one of the new X5000 is not very credible either. There was another guy cheering and praising similar as you and then had to admit not owning one because he could not afford to buy one. I have no problem with that but then not go in first line and critisizing others.

And BTW your "PeeCee" really makes you looking silly, what if people from outside read it.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 26-Apr-2015 at 09:22 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 26-Apr-2015 9:24:04
#1865 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

"Today, only Amiga named computers in production are AmigaOne boards."

that is right even though I think it is not very important anymore and it will certainly not bring new users

BigD 
Posted on 26-Apr-2015 9:35:26
#1866 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
And BTW your "PeeCee" really makes you looking silly, what if people from outside read it.

They'll know that Amigas are different and not just emulated operating systems on x86 hardware!

Boot_WB 
Posted on 26-Apr-2015 10:14:17
#1867 ]

@BigD

You've had ~6 years to buy a Sam and support Acube, ~4 years to buy an X1000 to support AEON (but complained about the price and early ordering systems instead), and ~6 months to buy a copy of FE for emulation to support Hyperion.

Fair enough, I don't find the hardware/price attractive either, but that's the opinion I express to others too. I don't vocally encourage others to buy something I'm not prepared to buy nyself.

At least the people who bought it for emulation have supported Hyperion. People like yourself who wave the flag, shout encouragement, and then disappear when the product goes on sale are a nightmare for A-Eon/cube creating the illusion of a market more receptive than it is.

EDIT: It's up to you whether or not you put your money where your mouth is, but either way please, God-on-a-Sunday, stop cheerleading others into purchasing expensive products you don't use/won't buy and denigrating those you feel 'haven't spent enough'.

In summary: Supporting A-Eon/Cube/Hyperion is as simple as buying a new computer and/or Operating System

Last edited by Boot_WB on 26-Apr-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Last edited by Boot_WB on 26-Apr-2015 at 10:34 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 26-Apr-2015 12:20:07
#1868 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Quote:
Supporting A-Eon/Cube/Hyperion is as simple as buying a new computer and/or Operating System

True, other than the "and/or bit". Obviously, buying AmigaOS without new hardware only supports Hyperion and possibly AmigaKit if you buy it from them. You should have probably just written that instead of the stuff above about what I SHOULD have done to warrant an opinion on AmigaOS . I think you are trying to silence me so the troll like over-represented minority can continue to say what a waste of time the XMOS chip was, how PPC is dead, how Hyperion deserve to be bankrupt, how A-EON, ACube and AmigaKit are running a fools errand etc, etc ad nauseam.

Having spoken to 'actual' AmigaOS developers at VCF 2010 at Bletchley Park, nr Milton Keynes, UK, I can say with true honesty that if the X1000 project HAD failed that AmigaOS development would have been severely scaled back if not stopped. The X1000 was seen as the last hope for the platform at that point and it is great that every batch of X1000s was sold out bar the last batch.

I am part of a potential market for A-EON but I am not part of the developer market that Trevor was targeting with the X1000. I am a consumer and casual creative computer user and since I held off buying a X1000 you could argue that I'd be MORE likely to buy a X5000 etc than a skint X1000 owner with a mortgage to pay.

To just try and write off my opinions because I can't warrant a £2,000+ expense right now in a time of austerity is quite frankly pathetic. I've used AmigaOS at VCF and I liked it and would consider buying semi-powerful hardware to run it on e.g. X1000 level hardware at a better price! I think that is reasonable.

What is not reasonable is people assuming the health of Hyperion and AmigaOS is in no way linked to the health of A-EON, ACube and AmigaKit. If you think that you are deluded my friend

Last edited by BigD on 26-Apr-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 26-Apr-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 26-Apr-2015 at 12:22 PM.

jorit2 
Posted on 26-Apr-2015 12:37:01
#1869 ]

@BigD

Quote:
BigD wrote:
I'd want something with the performance of the X1000 but for less money.

Well, go figure, that's exactly what a lot of people want ...

Quote:
I'm not even sure a X-1000 ... would handle the animation features,

Nice expression of support here ...

Quote:
My point on this thread is there are a lot of people who either wanted Hyperion to be bankrupt and AmigaOS to magically become open source or for AmigaOS to be magically ported to x86 (or to continue emulating AmigaOS classic edition indefinitely) so they can ignore A-Eon and ACube and hence contribute to those companies going into bankruptcy too!

I don't know about the "a lot of people". A few sure.
All I saw here, was that a lot of people want access to their beloved platform, and somehow the... resellers, Hyperion/A-EON/A-Cube/... are not giving it to them, or not under acceptable terms, not available or too expensive ...

About X86 et al: my impression is that most people who are hoping for an x86 future (or ARM) are very much aware that even that would very likely still (have to) be on bespoke hardware, in other words, it does not rule out A-EON and or Hyperion. Most of us understand very well that the days where you can throw AmigaOS on just any COTS X86 board are far far off.

You have been making this argument before, and it has been refuted before.

Quote:
They pretend to be 'Amiga' fans and yet only seem to want to see the destruction of the people and companies who put their hard earned money into supporting our platform and try and push it forward.

They may have a vision that differs from ... "the powers that be". Given the current situation you can't really blame people for thinking about alternatives of how this entire Amiga situation should be handled.

Quote:
At least I have every intention ...

See Boot_WB

Quote:
All the negative comments here wreak of the opinions of A500 owners who refused to upgrade to A1200s when they came out in 1992 but had no problem buying £1500+ PeeCees around about 1995/6!

Maybe because the (perceived) value-for-money balance was still more favorable for the PC than it was for the upgraded Amiga-hardware, despite the £1500+ price-tag of the PC ?

Evert

Last edited by jorit2 on 26-Apr-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Last edited by jorit2 on 26-Apr-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Last edited by jorit2 on 26-Apr-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 26-Apr-2015 13:28:48
#1870 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Boot_WB

Quote:
Supporting A-Eon/Cube/Hyperion is as simple as buying a new computer and/or Operating System

True, other than the "and/or bit".

Doing neither, which is your position, is unarguably supporting none of the above.

Quote:
Obviously, buying AmigaOS without new hardware only supports Hyperion and possibly AmigaKit if you buy it from them. You should have probably just written that instead of the stuff above about what I SHOULD have done to warrant an opinion on AmigaOS .

Seriously?
After lecturing Saimon69 on what level of support he has to show in order to express an opinion? And doing that whilst not even running it in emulation or otherwise yourself?
You may also want to re-read my post to see where exactly I suggested that you shouldn't express an opinion about AmigaOS. I was simply pointing out your hypocrisy in encouraging others to spend money that you yourself are not prepared to spend.

Quote:
I think you are trying to silence me so the troll like over-represented minority can continue to say what a waste of time the XMOS chip was, how PPC is dead, how Hyperion deserve to be bankrupt, how A-EON, ACube and AmigaKit are running a fools errand etc, etc ad nauseam.

Your thoughts.

Quote:
Having spoken to 'actual' AmigaOS developers at VCF 2010 at Bletchley Park, nr Milton Keynes, UK, I can say with true honesty that if the X1000 project HAD failed that AmigaOS development would have been severely scaled back if not stopped.

Which totally hasn't happened. :roll

Quote:
The X1000 was seen as the last hope for the platform at that point and it is great that every batch of X1000s was sold out bar the last batch.

What part of 'batches produced when a certain level of pre-orders are reached' is confusing for you?

Quote:
I am part of a potential market for A-EON but I am not part of the developer market that Trevor was targeting with the X1000.

The X1000 was launched as a consumer product aimed at Power users, not a developer board like the AmigaOne Terons were purported to be.

Quote:
I am a consumer and casual creative computer user and since I held off buying a X1000 you could argue that I'd be MORE likely to buy a X5000 etc than a skint X1000 owner with a mortgage to pay.

Talk is cheap, and everyone with an account here is part of the potential market you try to claim privelige to.

Quote:
To just try and write off my opinions because I can't warrant a £2,000+ expense right now in a time of austerity is quite frankly pathetic.

If you could only adopt that attitude in the way you treat other people's opinions, that'd be super.

Quote:
I've used AmigaOS at VCF and I liked it and would consider buying semi-powerful hardware to run it on e.g. X1000 level hardware at a better price! I think that is reasonable.

I can totally understand that, it was in fact my reaction too when X1000 was announced.

Quote:
What is not reasonable is people assuming the health of Hyperion and AmigaOS is in no way linked to the health of A-EON, ACube and AmigaKit.

I agree, that's why i wrote this as an honest critique some time ago.

Quote:
If you think that you are deluded my friend

If you think that I think that, you are tilting at windmills.

Last edited by Boot_WB on 26-Apr-2015 at 04:09 PM.

broadblues 
Posted on 26-Apr-2015 13:51:44
#1871 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@BigD

Quote:

I think you are trying to silence me so the troll like over-represented minority

How about if an AmigaOS 4.x user and third party developer asks you to put up or shut up? Preferably the latter? Your pro Amiga OS4 ranting is doing more damage to 'the cause' than any number of the trolls and not so trolls in this thread.

Pavlor is almost as annoying but at least he's bought the Classic version to try under WinUAE.

pavlor 
Posted on 26-Apr-2015 16:06:49
#1872 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:
almost as annoying

Thanks.

Rob 
Posted on 26-Apr-2015 16:25:26
#1873 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Quote:
You've had ~6 years to buy a Sam and support Acube, ~4 years to buy an X1000 to support AEON (but complained about the price and early ordering systems instead), and ~6 months to buy a copy of FE for emulation to support Hyperion.

If he'd started saving £1.50 a day four years ago he'd be able to buy an X1000 today and have some money left over to buy a few programs from Amistore.

OlafS25 
Posted on 26-Apr-2015 16:36:51
#1874 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

pavlor 
Posted on 26-Apr-2015 16:39:08
#1875 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:
If he'd started saving £1.50 a day four years ago

You don´t know, if he has other expenses. I assume income is much better in UK than in CEE, many people here wouldn´t be able to save that much. Sure, there is much cheaper A1-500 (or WinUAE).

Quote:
over to buy a few programs from Amistore.

That is now also my intention. I think it is better to spend small money I have in support of software developement (eg. new PPaint), than bury 1/3 yearly raw income in dream (X1000).

BigD 
Posted on 26-Apr-2015 18:15:31
#1876 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:
If he'd started saving £1.50 a day four years ago he'd be able to buy an X1000 today and have some money left over to buy a few programs from Amistore.

Oversimplified wishful thinking. In reality money saved for such frivolous hobby spending gets used to fix the car, pay for new shoes for the little one or for the family holiday. Heck, if the wife needs a laptop for her audio production needs then I'm hardly warranted in using the money to buy a X1000 am I? When Blockbuster went bust and I was trying to work out a better way to rent movies, I deduced that buying a PS3 or Smart TV obviously made a better choice than an Amiga OS4.x machine. If there was a well designed and cheap AmigaOS based Consumer Electronic machine like the CDTV/CD32 (or modern equivalent like the PS3 that could have run a PPC operating system) I would always favour that, but we fell into the trap of making AmigaOne systems the best systems at running AmigaOS and little else for a while.

@Boot_WB

Quote:
I agree, that's why i wrote this as an honest critique some time ago.

Great write up and with A-EON's new I.P. purchases and AmiStore they are moving in the right direction in supporting software as well as hardware development. All these plans are looking at coming to fruition around the time of the launch of the X5000 machines, AmigaOS4.2 with SMT and Gallium and the redeveloped versions of Personal Paint, Octamed, ImageFX and Aladdin4D. It might never be a good living computer ever again but with better software and better price to performance ratio it may be a great replacement for my A4000T.

Last edited by BigD on 26-Apr-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 26-Apr-2015 at 06:18 PM.

cdimauro 
Posted on 26-Apr-2015 19:39:39
#1877 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:
What about Pegosos, Efika, ... Teron boards? So, they are not Amiga, even if AmigaOS4 can run on them. Right?

Do they bear AMIGA in name?

Nope. So they aren't Amiga, even if OS4 runs on them. Now somebody has to stop the mass suicides of Sam users...
Quote:
Quote:
(Win)UAE also let to run the Amiga o.s. thanks to the Amiga Forever package. Amiga Forever -> Amiga in the name -> Amiga. Right?

On Commodore Amiga Mini? Without doubt.

That's Amiga by default, even if it runs Windows.
Quote:
As other PCs aren´t Amiga branded, they don´t fulfill first part of my narrower deffnition "what is an Amiga":

Amiga branded computer powered by Amiga OS

This is only my definition, of course.

I prefer an objective one.
Quote:
Quote:
With the same logic, we can also say the same thing for every computer with an Amiga Forever package.

As I wrote above, such computer is not Amiga branded. It is like Pegasos 2 with AmigaOS. It seems your logic is flawed here.

That's because of your definition.

But Amiga Forever has the Amiga brand, and we know how brands (and not substance) is important in the post-Amiga era. It can also run the Amiga o.s. and emulate the Amiga hardware. So, it's an Amiga: brand + o.s. + hardware. What a perfect match.

cdimauro 
Posted on 26-Apr-2015 20:07:58
#1878 ]
Elite Member

@Massi

Quote:

Massi wrote:
@cdimauro - Previous posts about the Xena chip

I think the chip is added value to the AmigaONE X1000 anyway.
The capable developer wants surely to exploit it to its limits, while the not only makes gossip about it.

There are restrictions and constraints in every technology, you should be aware of it from the Commodore A500 days, with coders pushing the machine to its limits.

Ciao

The Amiga 500 had a custom hardware which let concretely offload a lot of work from the CPU, because of the more powerful coprocessors. It means that the Copper and the Blitter were REALLY able to do some works MUCH better than the CPU.

The XCore* has nothing even similar. It has much less power than the CPU. It has not even access to the memory (contrary to the statement reported on the vendor site, which legitimates such previous deduction).

The XCore is only good at handling its I/O lines, doing some processing. That's OK, but that's also a something which DO NOT interest the average users which wants just to run the AmigaOS4.

You can be the best coder in the world. You can push such chip to its limits. Nevertheless, the limits are barriers that do not allow to get some useful thing out of this crap. Unless you are a developer which wants to play with the I/O lines.

However if somebody wants to show me the contrary, well, it's welcome.
The "Xena" official page reports: "The uses are endless; control hardware, DSP functions, robotics, display - even SID chip and console emulators".
Emulation is a field which is particularly appreciated by the Amiga community (with the exception of BigD). Maybe an uberskilled coder can provide a console emulator which entirely runs on the XCore. If a Nintendo NES is too much difficult (albeit it's a 33 years old hardware), he can try with an Atari 2600, which as a limited enough hardware that can be handled by the XCore.

*not Xena: that was just a rebrand of a discrete (NOT custom!) chip that everybody can buy for $10 circa. The rebrand is part of the strategy to fake users that the AmigaOne X1000 has "custom coprocessors" like the Amigas, which is absolutely not the case (see above).

cdimauro 
Posted on 26-Apr-2015 20:12:26
#1879 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@OlafS25

Quote:

They'll know that Amigas are different and not just emulated operating systems on x86 hardware!

If you don't like emulation, don't use Petunia, RunInUAE, or FS-UAE.

Oops. But you don't own a PowerPC machine neither you have a copy of OS4. Sorry, you cannot try OS4 without using the emulation.

pavlor 
Posted on 26-Apr-2015 20:31:46
#1880 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
Now somebody has to stop the mass suicides of Sam users...

I hope they are more sane than you or me.

Quote:
That's Amiga by default, even if it runs Windows.

Exactly!

Quote:
I prefer an objective one.

Still heard only subjective from you...

Quote:
But Amiga Forever has the Amiga brand, and we know how brands (and not substance) is important in the post-Amiga era. It can also run the Amiga o.s. and emulate the Amiga hardware. So, it's an Amiga: brand + o.s. + hardware. What a perfect match.

By this logic, every SAM would be Amiga. Again, your logic is... flawed.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle