Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 120 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  7 mins ago
 MarcioD:  30 mins ago
 Hammer:  38 mins ago
 kolla:  38 mins ago
 matthey:  45 mins ago
 NancyNash:  59 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 54 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  How to make Amiga OS a leading operating system?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 Next Page )
PosterThread
klx300r 
Re: How to make Amiga OS a leading operating system?
Posted on 20-Feb-2015 6:02:10
#81 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

....But back to your original point;
Can anyone claim complete sanity when we dabble in relatively low performing OSs with lacking features; be it AOS, AROS or MorphOS
The level of insanity can only be quantified by the money you "waste", but isnt that true for many hobbies?

try getting into buying, maintaining, and restoring classic cars or mototcycles and then you'll start to understand what 'expensive hobby' means

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Profile     Report this post  
OldFart 
Posted on 20-Feb-2015 10:35:36
#82 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@klx300r

Quote:
try getting into buying, maintaining, and restoring classic cars or mototcycles and then you'll start to understand what 'expensive hobby' means
Don't forget the catagory called 'women': now THAt can turn out into an expensive one...

OldFart

wawa 
Posted on 20-Feb-2015 11:05:07
#83 ]
Elite Member

@KingKong

you may not give up your open source idea, keep it, its yours. but this has been discussed many times. and it is obvious that it wont happen. the legal situation is too complicated and the parties involved unwilling. you want open source amiga os? take aros, its 90% binary compatible on the same hardware and improved in some areas while lacking in others. thats the reality you can actually deal with if you want. but if you just want to brag about pipe dreams on forum, then go on.

Last edited by wawa on 20-Feb-2015 at 11:06 AM.

Pleng 
Posted on 20-Feb-2015 13:16:11
#84 ]

@KingKong
Quote:

I like this idea of an super secure and high reliable RTOS very much

And it's been explained to you several times in this thread that AmigoOS is not secure, highly-reliable or RealTime. If you like the idea of such an OS, better start looking for other alternatives...

elwood 
Posted on 20-Feb-2015 13:26:31
#85 ]
Elite Member

@KingKong

Quote:
Stop kidding with Amiga OS as a hobby OS

So true! Several developers that just think it's a hobby. So they have fun but they don't care more than that. Note that I don't comment on Hyperion. I don't know what they think/want/whatever...
Maybe when more people would care more, they will discuss what can/can't be done, they will set milestones, deadlines, build up projects, talk about it....etc.

My job is doing support on Windows and I really think we can do better and I think we can do it in relatively short time frames (closer to 2 years than 10).

Amiga Translator Organisation

KingKong 
How to make AmigaOS a leading operating system?
Posted on 22-Feb-2015 6:31:29
#86 ]

Quote:
KingKong wrote (slightly edited):
Cloanto confirms transfers of Commodore/Amiga copyrights

What does that mean? Does Cloanto and Hyperion Entertainment now own pretty much of AmigaOS? That would be great.

I still won't give up the open source idea. AmigaOS being Open source could help development and secure the ever-lasting existence of AmigaOS.

AmigaOS becoming open source could help to spread it on other hardware. It could inspire hardware maker like A-EON. In the long run the licence fees could become quite high (if Amiga becomes a leading operating system) - so it would be a good idea for Amiga hardware makers, to make use of the current situation and promote the release of AmigaOS to open source.

Then from where will the money for further OS development come? Well, Linux copes somehow. I like this idea of an super secure and high reliable RTOS very much and for this some (EU, military, industry) would pay pretty much - just think of the costly MS-licences. Obviously successful hardware sellers should donate some money for the AmigaOS development but I think they will. There could be a little percentage on each hardware with AmigaOS sold donated to an AmigaOS development fund.

1. The world needs a super secure and high reliable RTOS, an ideal operating system, simply the best.

2. I think, that AmigaOS has a chance but must therefore become open source - that is important for best/worldwide development, use in military/industry (it should be unthinkable to use MS there) and that the OS can't be sabotaged/busted.

3. Why could an Amiga Fan be against this idea? I don't like to hear bullshit - I would like to hear good ideas/suggestions how it can be done. (1) is absolutely clear and even those hobby-OS-loonies can't be against open source and a development-boost - in fact they should be the first to like this idea.

4. Okay, there are two problems:

a) Cloanto and Hyperion Entertainment possibly won't give AmigaOS away to open source for nothing. Solution: we must collect enough money. First question here is: how much money is needed?

b) What software rights are in the hands of those who what to hinder/bust/sabotage AmigaOS as much as possible? Can they be persuaded somehow, to give their rights up? Is it simply a question of a reasonable sum of money or must the USA get something too, like some development data (for example the USA may get all the Transrapid infos and licences for of course some money - yeah, there is possibly a connection)?

5. If not AmigaOS, then some other OS must be developed - fine by me - I want a perfect OS and this must not be named "AmigaOS". But if it's not AmigaOS, then AmigaOS will soon be history - do you want this?

Okay and the question here is: How to make AmigaOS a leading operating system?
.. and not how to prevent it.

What do A-EON, Cloanto, Hyperion Entertainment and Amiga, Inc. think about this? Are they content to tinker/mess about or do they want AmigaOS to become much more?

Well, just my opinion (like all my writing) ... but it's not so stupid, isn't it?

resle 
Re: How to make AmigaOS a leading operating system?
Posted on 22-Feb-2015 8:40:36
#87 ]
Cult Member

@KingKong

Quote:
Well, just my opinion (like all my writing) ... but it's not so stupid, isn't it?

it is.

cdimauro 
Posted on 22-Feb-2015 9:21:58
#88 ]
Elite Member

@resle: I fully agree with you and other guys (michalsc, Aslak3, etc.) which clearly explained the non-sense of a lot the things that were reported here. They are just dreams with no real basis.

Reality-check should be not an option...

Pleng 
Posted on 22-Feb-2015 9:24:57
#89 ]

@KingKong

Quote:

I don't like to hear bullshit

somewhat ironic, that...

Last edited by Pleng on 22-Feb-2015 at 09:25 AM.

Aslak3 
Posted on 22-Feb-2015 10:23:50
#90 ]

"Alternative" Operating Systems:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/10-best-alternative-operating-systems-934484

Nice to see AROS there. It would be interesting to see them listed by userbsse size. I'm very tempted to try a few of those.

pavlor 
Posted on 22-Feb-2015 10:38:34
#91 ]
Elite Member

@Aslak3

Probably only Haiku has bigger regular user base than AROS.

mailman2 
Posted on 22-Feb-2015 18:16:23
#92 ]

@KingKong

Amiga OS for pc should be port of Amiga graphics and gui for linux and windows.

Amiga graphics.library rotten many years ago and there is no reason to port it.

MUI is developed by the MOS Team and if you want to have MUI as an open source then you have to convince the MOS Team to open source it.

You're wasting time attacking Hyperion and other companies.

MOS Team you can find on www.morphzone.org.

OlafS25 
Posted on 22-Feb-2015 18:30:38
#93 ]
Elite Member

@KingKong

Why investing lots of money in opensourcing AmigaOS? You have already AROS, then better invest it into it. And even if it would be "opensource" you would still need to port it. That would need a lot of work additionally. AROS again is already available.

wawa 
Posted on 22-Feb-2015 18:50:07
#94 ]
Elite Member

@Aslak3

funny that of all amiga-like oses only aros made it to that list, but then maybe its about options for available x86 hardware.

Yssing 
Posted on 22-Feb-2015 18:59:11
#95 ]

@KingKong

Open sourcing AmigaOS is not going to happen, there is no reason for this.

Open Source also have its problems, think of all the different Linux distributions, that makes software incompatible and makes the OS unstable. Yes Linux as a desktop OS is unstable.
AROS has it shares of different distributions and uses different CPU's.

It would make more sense to just stick with one architecture and not going down the "many forked" open source route.

wawa 
Posted on 22-Feb-2015 19:11:15
#96 ]
Elite Member

@Yssing

Quote:
AROS has it shares of different distributions and uses different CPU's.

that doesnt mean that the binaries between the different distributions are incompatible. of course the same binaries are not compatible with different architectures, but who would expect that, except some sort of fat binaries would be introduced. supporting different architectures with the same source is a gain not a handicap. it means less work with more availability, better portability and better cross testing. aros68k as example is massively benefiting from aros-x86 development, on the other hand x86 benefits from testing on 68k. i dont know why you want to talk these benefits to disadvantages.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 22-Feb-2015 19:28:15
#97 ]

@Yssing
Ouch... do you know this, or dou you just believe this?

Debian linux is rock solid. No crash for me since the stone age.
AmigaOS crashed at minute 10. Frequently.

Ubuntu sucks.. you are right. Ubuntu is debian based but added a lot own things which are somehow... not so stable. But than again it depends on your HW combinations. Intel and Nvidia are rock solid linux contenders. AMD not so.

AROS is AROS. Many failures have been fixed on other platforms(i386) as someone worked on another platform target (m68k).

Deadwoods back port happened analogue for i386 and ARM. Could have been compiled for more but there was just no interest yet.

You also mix up "Maintainer of a distribution" with "AROS developer".
The work a Maintainer does is distribution bound... The work a developer does on AROS source applies for everyone.

So what you are talking or believing is nonsense. Just nonsense.

You will find people more being interested in ARM, some in i386 and others in AROS 64bit. Sometime the one branch is more in focus than the others but changes will flow back and forth.

You can only win.

cdimauro 
Posted on 22-Feb-2015 19:35:28
#98 ]
Elite Member

@Aslak3

Quote:

Aslak3 wrote:
"Alternative" Operating Systems:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/10-best-alternative-operating-systems-934484

Nice to see AROS there. It would be interesting to see them listed by userbsse size. I'm very tempted to try a few of those.

Very cool! It's impressive to see AROS listed at #3 position, just below Haiku and ReactOS. WOW!

agami 
Posted on 23-Feb-2015 3:38:18
#99 ]

@hotrod

Quote:
People [buy] it and eventually [begin] to notice the lack of memoryprotection...

How exactly would people start to notice the lack of memory protection?
I used Amiga's for over a decade, from OS 1.2 to OS 3.9 and I didn't notice the lack of memory protection.

Did the machine crash every now and then? Yes, but a lot less than some of the other computers during that time. Hell, my OS X 10.10.1 machine crashed just yesterday.

hotrod 
Posted on 23-Feb-2015 4:17:31
#100 ]
Elite Member

@agami

The possibility to end the app that crashed and erase it from RAM instead of a complete reboot + relaunch you apps.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle