Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 81 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

fatbob_gb

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 fatbob_gb:  1 secs ago
 lewishamilton0998:  6 mins ago
 pixie:  11 mins ago
 amigakit:  15 mins ago
 Hammer:  19 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 miggymac:  3 hrs 4 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  AmigaOne XE: Two memory sticks trash AHI ? *Solution found!*
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Trewq 
AmigaOne XE: Two memory sticks trash AHI ? *Solution found!*
Posted on 2-Mar-2015 14:26:55
#1 ]

Update: well what y'da know, it was my Envy24 (not HT) Audiophile 24/96 soundcard that caused the AHI trasing !

I haven't tried memtest yet with the MT and KVR sticks yet but I'm happy at the moment that my humble PowerPC box is running 5 tabs with one streaming mp3 and one playing youtube video's

Running with onboard audio (Envy's removed) and two MT36LSDF12872Y-133D1's
right now

and anyone noticed that OWB really likes to keep AHI to its self ? running other AHI programs cause DSI or ISI error's here.

Original post:
Hi all

Now having two pair of sticks that reported to work on IntuitionBase

the MT36LSDF12872Y-133D1
and KVR133X72RC3/1024 (Mine flawless working stick is a KVR133X72RC3/256)

They both do the same thing, prevent the Audiophile 2496 sound card (Envy 24)
from playing any sound.
Programs that use AHI run fine with no error but there is no sound coming out of the speakers.

I've tried the MT36LSDF12872Y-133D1 with one stick only but I get the same problem, haven't tried the KVR with one stick configuration.

In memtester they both fail at the stuck address test, the KVR reports a possible bad address line at offset 0x00462470

I also had some other pair of sticks in single and dual config which trashed AHI when a certian amount of memory was used.

Now my XE does have the onboard DAC, could that possibly cause this ? if so can anyone point me out where on the board the chip is and if it is possible to remove it ? Assuming its socketed.

Could it be that I have/ don't have the DMA fix ? and how can I see that without trashing a hard drive ?

Can anyone give me advice ?

Last edited by Trewq on 13-Mar-2015 at 08:20 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Deniil715 
Re: AmigaOne XE: Two memory sticks trash AHI ?
Posted on 2-Mar-2015 17:04:53
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Trewq

Two sticks rarely work in an XE, even if a certain type is reported to work on one machine.

Maybe your AHI prefs got damanged due to memory corruption when you used both modules? Try checking all volume levels in AHI and the Mixer (and make sure you use the correct output on your sound card ).

Morphix 
Posted on 3-Mar-2015 0:14:37
#3 ]

Try with a single RAM stick and report if the same symptoms in AHI are still going.

Sam 440EP, AmigaOne XE,
MacMini PPC, PowerMac G4, G5

Hypex 
Posted on 3-Mar-2015 13:46:35
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Trewq

The failed memtest is not a good sign. Do you also get fails with only one stick of either brand?

Also ensure the ram slots are clean. Pulling sticks out and putting them back in should also clean contacts but best to check and remove dust.

I don't know if there is a test for DMA apart from checking if a wire was soldered in place on the PCB from a DMA mod. But if you don't have a PCI SATA/IDE card and are using onboard IDE then make sure DMA is switched off for your units. To do this you can open up UBoot Prefs on WB, goto IDE tab and Onboard page ensure "Best PIO" is set. IOW not to any DMA mode.

Trewq 
Posted on 3-Mar-2015 15:42:53
#5 ]

@All thanks

@Hypex

Well running with only one Kingston stick I'll get sound, the other brand in single or dual I don't.

But this time running memtest will freeze the system when allocating memory, still able to do a softreboot tho.

With my only working stick, Kingston 256 MB, I'll always pass memtest.

I have heard of setting the FSB to 100mhz in case of unstable memory, not sure what the FSB is, how to lower it (now at 133mhz) and what the consequenties are (lower CPU mhz ?)

Severin 
Posted on 3-Mar-2015 16:37:32
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Trewq

Your best bet with two stick is a matched pair purchased together, I used crucial in my xe but it took 3 or 4 tries to get a working setup, even then I got the occasional random freeze.

Lowering the FSB (Front Side Bus, basically communiction between nearly everything) by swapping jumpers on the mobo will slow down your memory access, card slots and harddrives. It might get things working, always worth a try.

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

Trewq 
Posted on 3-Mar-2015 19:56:41
#7 ]

@Severin

Well, tried with 100mhz in single and dual config and the machine won't go past the AmigaOS splash screen.

Now writing this with one Kingston and 133mhz, both brands are bought in pairs

Will be soon cleaning the sticks 'n slots

Could any XE user please show their dual stick and FSB configuration ?

Edit: While one 1024 MB Kingston works, now OWB (morph port) trashes AHI, no sound from simple play when OWB's running and when running simple play in advance and then running OWB can make the speakers scream and then for this session AHI is glitched and makes noise that can take down planes.

I've also noticed that while the KVR133X72RC3/ 256 and 1024 are supposedly the same family they have different chips ! the 256 having Kingston ram chips and the 1024 having Samsung chips ! ARGH

Last edited by Trewq on 03-Mar-2015 at 08:08 PM.

delshay 
Posted on 3-Mar-2015 20:57:14
#8 ]

There are user(s) that claim to have 2GB ram working @133Mhz bus,perhaps if those user(s) can post again what memory their are using would be helpful.

Please post make & most importantly the part number on the chip, "marking on the chip" not the part number by the manufacture even thou this will also be helpful.

Trewq 
Posted on 4-Mar-2015 16:15:11
#9 ]

Update: with one stick of Kingston KVR133X72RC3/1024, AHI at random times likes to glitch out and scream horrible noise, so another useless sim.

@delshay

Well for one, the Kingston KVR133X72RC3/1024 has these ram chips

SAMSUNG 110
K4S560432B
ABK103A1 KOREA

and

SAMSUNG 112
K4S560432B
ABL220AA KOREA

The working Kingston KVR133X72RC3/256 has

Kingston

0245P111
D328ST-70

I would love to know what chips are on this stick
http://www.amiga-shop.net/Hardware/Ram/storage-media/2-GB-SD-Ram-for-A1-XE-SE::455.html

Seems to be a Samsung 133 and I can't quite make out what the rest is

delshay 
Posted on 8-Mar-2015 7:30:29
#10 ]

Do a search about your computer/ram problem to see what other user(s) are using. This ram problem needs to be fixed as it appears in threads a lot. Perhaps a PM to last posting in this thread can help.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=39806&forum=33#749842

I think "if possible" all NG amiga should have custom memory module specifically designed to use every clock cycle in-order to get the maximum performance out of the motherboard.

Hopefully I will be looking into this motherboard memory problem,but right now I am working on DDR/DDR2. ..DDR is more or less complete with another first custom private DDR2 so-dimm memory module. (hardware/software) modifications including SPD.

AlexC 
Posted on 8-Mar-2015 13:04:06
#11 ]

@Trewq

Quote:
I would love to know what chips are on this stick
http://www.amiga-shop.net/Hardware/Ram/storage-media/2-GB-SD-Ram-for-A1-XE-SE::455.html

Seems to be a Samsung 133 and I can't quite make out what the rest is

SAMSUNG 133
K45560432C-TC75

On my XE I have 2x1GB KVR133X72RC3/1024A sticks with Samsung chips and haven't had any problem. I bought the pair used from some HP server where it was known to be working before.
Both sticks are completely identical and are somewhat unusual as they have two chips stacked on top of each other so there is 18 chips on each side.

The audio issue you describe could be a timing issue, the ArticiaS being very touchy about that, and may be altered by using the SetA1 command from Aminet or OS4Depot.

Another possible culprit may be your power supply as more RAM requires more power and if the PSU isn't keeping up it can cause weird problems.

AmigaOne XE/X1000/X5000/UAE-PPC OS4 laptop/X-10 Home Automation

delshay 
Posted on 8-Mar-2015 13:58:47
#12 ]

That's a good starting point,the above part numbers will be looked at. All information is required in-order to start project especially whats written across the chip. Whats needed is more user(s) to post their part numbers.

If you have 2GB ram with 133Mhz bus please post even thou speed of the bus is not important at this stage just the full 2MB ram.

Trewq 
Posted on 8-Mar-2015 17:52:59
#13 ]

@AlexC

Quote:
Another possible culprit may be your power supply as more RAM requires more power and if the PSU isn't keeping up it can cause weird problems.

Very good point
Haven't thought of that before, my XE has pretty much every internal header and slot used..

Going to check out the PSU power, any recommends for any amout of watt for a fully expended XE ?

tonyw 
Posted on 8-Mar-2015 23:13:04
#14 ]
Elite Member

@Trewq

I think you'll find that the mobo itself only uses about 120 watts (that's from memory, over ten years ago now). Most of the extra power goes into the video card and disk drives.

I always used the smallest PSU I could find with my XE (before it finally died). I had a 250 W for the first 8 years, then had to upgrade to 350 W (the smallest I could find) when I added two more drives.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

AlexC 
Posted on 9-Mar-2015 8:54:56
#15 ]

I've used a 250W PSU for several years and it could barely keep up with two HDDs, a DVD-RW, and 2 sound cards once I upgraded the RAM from 512MB to 2GB. The only symptom was the Radeon 7500 showing some shadow effect on high contrast areas when the CPU load increased.

To be on the safe side I ended up upgrading to an Antec 400W "EarthWatts" PSU as these have good results in independent tests, and the symptoms went away. I doubt the system requires that much power as my UPS reports a load between 75W at boot and 60W idle so it's more likely that the previous PSU just couldn't provide enough amps or maintain a stable voltage under load on the 5V/3.3V rails.

AmigaOne XE/X1000/X5000/UAE-PPC OS4 laptop/X-10 Home Automation

Hypex 
Posted on 13-Mar-2015 14:30:20
#16 ]
Elite Member

@delshay

What can I say? I have 2GB (2x1GB) running in my machine and stable. But the model number for my ram is identical as reported here as not working: a Micron MT36LSDF12872Y-133D1.

I have an XE. A G3 CPU module @ 800 Mhz. 133 FSB. VCore set to G3 standard. 550W PSU.

So I stopped playing around with technical settings, set them to the correct as per my hardware, got a reasonably powered PSU and my system has been stable since. Get the odd freeze now and then but it tends to be rare.

Hypex 
Posted on 13-Mar-2015 14:35:33
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Trewq

Do you get this problem with the on board sound? Can you also test by removing the Envy24 if you do?

At this point I wonder if it is a bug in the driver. Shouldn't matter where memory is allocated but you never know.

Hypex 
Posted on 13-Mar-2015 14:37:17
#18 ]
Elite Member

@tonyw

Quote:
I always used the smallest PSU I could find with my XE (before it finally died).

Really? Is that the one where you recycled my G4 module?

delshay 
Posted on 14-Mar-2015 7:17:38
#19 ]

It seems the problem in this thread has been solved,nevertheless the memory will be looked at for improvement.

Hypex 
Posted on 14-Mar-2015 15:20:45
#20 ]
Elite Member

@delshay

I hate that. I didn't know what you were talking about until I happened to read the first post again. And it didn't stand out at first.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle