Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 115 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

DWolfman

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DWolfman:  4 mins ago
 cncparts:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 Beajar:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 47 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 48 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 8 mins ago
 OlafS25:  4 hrs 57 mins ago
 Bruce72:  4 hrs 59 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Setting up a Sil3114
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
PhantomInterrogative 
Setting up a Sil3114
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 12:39:13
#1 ]
Cult Member

Good day,

Before anyone asks, I have already posted this query to the Hyperion forums. I would like to know precisely how to set up a sii3114 card on a SAM460ex. The documentation is not very helpful at all, treating the SATA card as if it had primary master/slave and secondary master/slave, instead of a port 0/2 and port 1/3.

I have an Amiga HD on port 0, a DVDRW on port 2, and an NTFS HD on port 1. How should I set up sii3114ide_conf so that I do not have 20 second timeouts on ports 1 and 3? I've tried many configurations, each of which do not eliminate the timeouts. I'd like to reduce the boot time if possible.

Thank you,

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Re: Setting up a Sil3114
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 14:13:12
#2 ]
Elite Member

@PhantomInterrogative

This looks like a slightly complcated card. An excerp from the sii3114ide_dev.doc:

- Due to the inner working of the sii3114, the SATA port
to unit mapping is like this:
o port 0 -> unit 0 (or port 1 if your board counts ports from 1)
o port 1 -> unit 2 (or port 2 ...)
o port 2 -> unit 1 (or port 3 ...)
o port 3 -> unit 3 (or port 4 ...)

How do the units show up once OS4 has booted? And does the Sam have a UBoot Prefs?

Usually a timeout would occur if you had a slave by itself messing up the config. But it isn't so clear cut on this card. Except if port/unit 3 is clear it should work fine.

Are your units set to a specific type or auto? Apart from that the only other thing I recall is problems with SATA speed jumpers or SATA 3 drives not auto working with a SATA 2 interface. Well, IIRC.

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 16:32:13
#3 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

The documentation actually added to the confusion. When I have UBoot set to be verbose, it shows UBoot looking for SATA 0, 1, 2, and 3. It says OK on ports 0 and 2. On ports 1 and 3, UBoot spends around 20 seconds looking, then times out. It then lists the drives it has found, the Amiga HD (port 0) and the DVDRW (port 2). For ports 1 and 3, UBoot spends another 10 seconds before saying not found for each port.

It all adds up to the longest boot I've had on an Amiga. It's sad because I got a SATA card to improve speed.

I'm sure that I am doing something wrong in configuring what drives are primary, secondary, masters, slaves etc.

Following the documentation, I would have thought that the following would work...

nvsetvar sii3114ide_conf 1120

That is assuming that 1120 corresponds to ports 0213. Yet, UBoot still scans as if it is not correctly configured. It acts as if it looks for something on port 3 even though the conf is set to 0. I've even tried setting the card up with just the Amiga HD and DVDRW on ports 0 and 2 with the following...

nvsetvar sii3114ide_maxbus 1
nvsetvar sii3114ide_conf 1020

This should restrict the 3114 to just ports 0 and 2 (as if it was a 3512 or 3112). UBoot still looks for ports 1 and 3, timing out on both.

I doubt that any of the drives are SATA3, being that they are a tad old in terms of SATA standards.

At this point, I think I'll just order a 3512 and connect the NTFS to the onboard SATA port.

Last edited by PhantomInterrogative on 17-Mar-2015 at 04:34 PM.

evilFrog 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 21:03:33
#4 ]

@Hypex

Seemed pretty logical to me, after a moments thought. Knowing the layout of the ports on the board would likely clinch it. Think in terms of PATA for a second... I reckon that

Quote:

o port 0 -> unit 0 (Primary master)
o port 1 -> unit 2 (Secondary master)
o port 2 -> unit 1 (Primary slave)
o port 3 -> unit 3 (Secondary slave)

I imagine, therefore, that the cunning plan would be to occupy ports 0 and 2 (units 0 and 1, a PATA master-slave pair), perhaps port 1 as well, and then disable the other port(s).

I've got one on order myself, along with 4.1FE, so I'll have a chance to play in a week or so. Having an A1 XE though means (aiui, anyways) that I won't be able to boot from it in any case.

Last edited by evilFrog on 17-Mar-2015 at 09:11 PM.

evilFrog 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 21:10:12
#5 ]

@PhantomInterrogative

The other cunning plan, of course, is to just slap any old sata device on the remaining port(s). You can get those little disk-on-module devices pretty cheap these days. I'm planning to boot my XE from one on a sii0680 eventually.

Unless someone tells me the whole motherboard DMA thing got fixed in software at some point.

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 22:28:00
#6 ]
Cult Member

@evilFrog

In other words, the setup should be like this.

+---------+
HD NTFS----[1]         |
             |         |=
N/A        [3]         |=
             |         |=
             |         |=
             |         |=
             |         |
             +-[2]-[0]-+
                |   |
                |   |
       DVDRW----+   +----HD SFS/0
UNIT 0 1 2 3
PORT 0 2 1 3
IDE PM PS SM SS
DRIVE HD HD DVD N/A

nvsetvar sii3114ide_conf 1120

Which is what I currently have. I still have timeouts. Oh well, a 3512 is on order.

Last edited by PhantomInterrogative on 17-Mar-2015 at 10:34 PM.

evilFrog 
Posted on 18-Mar-2015 0:10:11
#7 ]

@PhantomInterrogative

Yeah, that's the setup that makes the most sense to me. Out of interest, have you tried
nvsetvar sii3114ide_conf 1210
with the same physical setup? Might just be that your board has something cute going on with the way it's labelled the ports, although I'd really doubt it from the layout.

Bodes well for me in a week's time, but I really don't want to work with PATA cables now, absolutely no rush to go back to 'em if I don't have to.

Hypex 
Posted on 18-Mar-2015 14:12:15
#8 ]
Elite Member

@PhantomInterrogative

You've got a new avatar. I didn't recognise you and you really look like a new person.

Now, regarding the variables sii3114ide_conf and sii3114ide_maxbus, according to the doc these are for the OS4 driver and so UBoot will ignore them. Which would explain that.

AFAIR, SATA drives are auto master/slave and so don't need jumpers anymore. Your drives don't have jumpers?

Given port 0 and 2 are fine with your Amiga HD and DVDRW, perhaps swap your troubled device with the other free SATA port and see if it sees it?

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 18-Mar-2015 18:38:45
#9 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

My wife knit a 14ft scarf for me based on the Doctor Who BBC pattern. She got it done in time for the 50th anniversary of the show.

The drives have no jumpers. When I swapped the DVDRW and NTFS, UBoot had the same problem, timing out on units 1 and 3. I'm thinking that the problem lies in how the units are handled in parallel. In order for it to work just right, I probably need a drive on each unit.

Well, I think I'll jump in my TARDIS and use K-9OS for a while.

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Mar-2015 13:45:31
#10 ]
Elite Member

@evilFrog

Quote:
Seemed pretty logical to me, after a moments thought.

I associate ports with units. So for me primary bus master would be unit 0 and its slave would be unit 1. As it is done for PATA. Since SATA ahas the same type of arrangement I expect it to follow suit.

That is I associate a port number with a unit. The table you present, if the cards ports are assigned that way, makes more sense and gives some clue as to what is going on. And where. I suggest you submit that to Hyperion!

UBoot can boot off a SATA disk, but I dont know on what controllers. The docs don't tell you what boots. Think that would be the first thing they tell you. Nup. They say to put on a real SATA drive. Then what?

There was a thread by scabit about SATA where Geri gave him some UBoot script code so he could boot off a SATA card. Might have been Linux related. But can't find it now.

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Mar-2015 14:01:04
#11 ]
Elite Member

@PhantomInterrogative

Nice wife! I can only imagine your 50th anniversary.

A change of jacket and you could pass for a Dr. Jones as well.

Any change putting NTFS on port 3 instead?

And, K-9OS, is that a 90's rock station?

Severin 
Posted on 20-Mar-2015 17:44:00
#12 ]
Elite Member

@PhantomInterrogative

sii3114ide_conf port order is 0123, port and unit are the same iirc

so

nvsetvar sii3114ide_conf 1120 should be fine but that is for OS4 not uboot.

The easy way to check is remove sii3114_conf altogether and just connect a harddrive to port 0, boot, check media toolbox for the unit used. power off, change the drive to port 1 reboot, check, port 2, check, port 3, check.

When you know whats where, install all drives, set the conf var, boot and go into media toolbox and make sure all rdb's are upto by you accessing the device in MTB then single click each device and if save to disk is highlighted, click it.

Any device that shows the save to disk gadget will not be mounted until you have updated the RDB by clicking save to disk.

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 24-Mar-2015 1:35:40
#13 ]
Cult Member

@thread

I received my sii3512 card today. After putting the card in, I set the UBoot boot devices to 3X12 DVD and 3x12 HD. I exited to a prompt and deleted the sii3114ide stuff using setenv/saveenv. I then tried to boot. I had no timeouts. Yehaw! It screamed through the kickstart kmods. Yehaw! Then it hanged on the AmigaOS4.1 boot picture. Crap!

I put the AmigaOS4.1 FE CDROM in the DVD drive and rebooted. It again hanged on the boot picture. I reset and held both mouse buttons in during boot. In the early startup, I selected boot with no startup sequence so that I could enter a shell and eventually get MediaToolbox running... no such luck. It again hanged on the boot picture, not allowing me to go any further. I tried booting from the SDCard... same problem. I took the 3512 out and reinstalled it in case it wasn't making contact. When I rebooted... hang on boot picture. I thought the 3512 was going to make life easier?! Oh, well.

Is there anything I have to set up in order to use the 3512? I read through the docs and did not find anything special. As of now, I am back to using the 3114 with it's long timeouts. I'm about to go back to using my sii0680. It might be PATA, but at least it is fast and reliable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Spectre660 
Posted on 24-Mar-2015 2:39:47
#14 ]
Elite Member

@PhantomInterrogative

Two things I can recall casuing a hang at the boot picture .
(1) Ethernet connection lose cable .
(2) video card.

couple of old threads regarding hanging at boot logo.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=36012&forum=14&15
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1586

Last edited by Spectre660 on 24-Mar-2015 at 02:57 AM.
Last edited by Spectre660 on 24-Mar-2015 at 02:57 AM.

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 24-Mar-2015 10:04:31
#15 ]
Cult Member

@Spectre660

I'll retry the card tonight. Yet, I did see port activity (led on the rear ethernet connection) while trying to boot yesterday. Both the graphics card and my ethernet cable are causing no problems right now while I am using the 3114.

I will install the 3512 again tonight. I'll check the ethernet cable and connection of my graphics card. I'll also set USB HD as the first boot device to see if booting from SDCard stops at the boot screen. If that doesn't work, I'll at least have narrowed the field. Over on Amigans.net, someone was complaining about a SATA card that had gone defective. Perhaps?

Thank you for the help Spectre660

Hypex 
Posted on 24-Mar-2015 15:00:54
#16 ]
Elite Member

@PhantomInterrogative

Just when I thought it was sorted out. Does it act the same if you fully boot from the OS4 CD?

And with the 3114 no change putting NTFS Hd on port 3 instead?

If you have a null modem cable now would be the time to get it out and see if any problems show up.

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 24-Mar-2015 17:27:56
#17 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

On the 3512, I tried booting from OS4.1 FE CD. One other thing I'm going to try is my old riser card. The 3512 almost touches the heatsink of my HD 4830. Perhaps it is getting too warm?

On the 3114, I tried many different combinations of ports, but I don't think I actually put any of the drives on port 3 (aka the fourth connector). I'll give that a try tonight. Perhaps it acts a bit like the SCSI chains of old, needing some sort of termination at the end?

If my wife still had a PC, I'd connect up my null modem cable. (She upgraded to an MacBook Air.)

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 25-Mar-2015 0:36:55
#18 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex et al.,

OK. I tried the riser card. It booted up to the splash picture and hanged as usual. I left it alone for a long while and Workbench finally appeared. The mouse was very jerky and I had constant disk activity. This reminded me of another thread over on Amigans.net. Tonyw said...

Quote:
Yes, I've had one die on me only a few days ago. The boot process seemed to freeze, but left to itself, it would complete after half an hour or so. The card seemed to be continuously interrupting while ever a HD was connected to it.

Once the system was up, I could move the mouse, but nothing would seem to change for about a minute, when the mouse pointer would jerk on the screen. You can imagine how long it took to type a command on the console.

Replacing the card fixed the problem, but it *could* have been just the act of unplugging the card and replugging the new one. I didn't recheck the old one after satisfying myself that it was the fault of the card.

In other words, my new 3512 is dying. Time to send it back for a refund.

Hypex 
Posted on 25-Mar-2015 14:58:12
#19 ]
Elite Member

@PhantomInterrogative

Quote:
Perhaps it is getting too warm?

That's possible but I would have expected it to at least boot once before it fully warmed up.

Not much randomess. The end result of a hung boot logo has been easy for you to reproduce. The only difference I can see is that UBoot uses PIO while OS4 switches on DMA.

Quote:
Perhaps it acts a bit like the SCSI chains of old, needing some sort of termination at the end?

In a way, I think it does; I called it a slave jumper.

SATA seems more simple, one cable for device, no Ma/Sl jumpers to set. The ATA internals are hid.

Quote:
If my wife still had a PC

Then how about a USB-to-serial adaptor instead? Cost me about 20 bucks. I actually use one with ZTerm on my Mac. Bui it tends to corrupt my X1000 CFE output.

On that note, I was looking up wireless serial on eBay ince. since I'm after a cabless debugging enviroment here. But I'd need an RS-232 one, not some PCB pins on the end!

Quote:
The mouse was very jerky and I had constant disk activity.

Not good. In fact my FE is slow to boot. After the Kickstart is built. Think I neeed to disable some modules. AFAIK the network startup is asynchronus.

Quote:
In other words, my new 3512 is dying.

Looks like it's back to the 3114 for more experiments.

Niolator 
Posted on 25-Mar-2015 15:40:57
#20 ]

@PhantomInterrogative

I have the exact same problem and I have tried all possible and impossible settings to no avail. Therefore I am postponing trying Linux on my SAM 460ex (needs another harddrive) and have gone back to my Sil 3512 which works fine.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle