Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
40 crawler(s) on-line.
 49 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pavlor:  11 mins ago
 pixie:  26 mins ago
 BigD:  28 mins ago
 zipper:  40 mins ago
 OlafS25:  43 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 saleliterary:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 prawnplop:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  I don't get this no more......
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
NutsAboutAmiga 
Re: I don't get this no more......
Posted on 20-Mar-2015 20:27:03
#41 ]
Elite Member

@orb85750

Actually it does not make a lot of sense to use Amiga to make PC games, better to make PC games on PC, better graphic programs, better development environments, better text editors, Allegro, SDL better supported, you can make things in Java or C# / Mono.

It is hard to find anything Amiga is good at these days, besides its nice OS because it's simplistic and different.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 20-Mar-2015 at 08:27 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Barana 
Posted on 20-Mar-2015 20:36:31
#42 ]
Cult Member

@smartroad

We already do it is called aros for pi.

I serve King Jesus.
What/who do you serve?

Tomas 
Posted on 20-Mar-2015 23:23:48
#43 ]
Elite Member

What we need is some kind of scene like the demoscene but for games... But I fear the community when it comes to devs is just too small...

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Mar-2015 1:44:56
#44 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas

Well games are easy to make, it's not the issue, the issue do we need games, and what do we need more, I always end up making programs, because this most needed.

I have few games almost done, one is 80/90% done, it’s a arkanoid type of game, and the other is early platform game, most collision detection is done, I say game is about 10% done.

These games I am working on with a friend, what remains, the arkanoid game, needs run faster on Amiga, it's written in a way that works ok on a PC, but is wasting CPU resources, I like to sell the game, but need free music, I don't think I can afford to pay anyone for the music.

The platform game is long way of, it needs content, like bridges, moving platforms, enemy's, exploding walls, doors, and so on, lots and lots of work, ropes, dangers spike things.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Mar-2015 at 01:45 AM.

Condor 
Posted on 21-Mar-2015 6:20:19
#45 ]

@NutsAboutPC

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@orb85750

Actually it does not make a lot of sense to use Amiga to make PC games, better to make PC games on PC, better graphic programs, better development environments, better text editors, Allegro, SDL better supported, you can make things in Java or C# / Mono.

It is hard to find anything Amiga is good at these days, besides its nice OS because it's simplistic and different.

....and this is type of Amigans who post here everyday, have powerfull Amiga nickname here, and actually uses PC for everything.
If you say here that classic amiga have cool old software, much better then Os4, he will call you a Heretic.
Without bunch of plugins we cannot do anything. Where is my beloved next, next, next its done option????
Even typing needs PC because of better text editor there, and you can make things in Java on PC.
So go away with this Hollywood, last hope for Amiga computers to have something unique and great.
Just use Java, play Minecraft, paint with Photoshop, and post here everday how great is Os4 and Amiga.

But NutsAboutPC is actually right, go away from anything Amiga related and just use PC.
My game, when finished, will be PC only, for all "NutsAboutAmiga" here and there.

Last edited by Condor on 21-Mar-2015 at 06:31 AM.

Condor 
Posted on 21-Mar-2015 6:39:51
#46 ]

Quote:

orb85750 wrote:
@Condor

So you're unhappy with the Amiga community, therefore you will use your Amigas to create something that will work only on other platforms, not on Amiga. Are you being spiteful?

No, but as you can see, most Amigans just post here, and uses PC for everything.
So I follow what people uses, not what talking about.

Condor 
Posted on 21-Mar-2015 7:12:54
#47 ]

@Tomas

+1

smartroad 
Posted on 21-Mar-2015 9:45:24
#48 ]

@Barana

I know, but the only supported one is Linux hosted which (for me at least) defeats the object. An OS that needs another OS to run. Don't get me wrong, it is a great achievement, something I couldn't do! The native port seems to have stopped being developed.

Also it isn't AOS4, which for me I'll admit, is the real spiritual successor to the Amiga I knew. Not to mention if a customised ARM processor and GPU could be made then it really harks back to the 'good old days'. I can dream hehe

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Mar-2015 10:34:35
#49 ]
Elite Member

@Condor

Quote:
....and this is type of Amigans who post here everyday, have powerfull Amiga nickname here, and actually uses PC for everything.

It is a paradox, is it not?

Skype, Spotify, Word or OpenOffice. I use these programs on daily basics. I also like to play StarCraft.

Quote:
If you say here that classic amiga have cool old software, much better then Os4, he will call you a Heretic.

If it was true, it can be there are some programs, I have over looked at, no doubt.
If the AmigaOS3.x programs are really great, they work on AmigaOS4, without crashing.

Quote:
Without bunch of plugins we cannot do anything.

I don't know if your thinking of datatypes, well datatypes are actually cool, but actually they have not been kept up to date, so things like Alfa blending is not supported in PNG, so instead of datatypes its a lot easier to use libpng that is a Linux picture library from the start.

Sure, you can get away with using a color key, (green or pink color) if you don't care about smooth corners.

If you just like to make game with 32 colors only for Amiga500/1200/4000, You can use IFF, and PPaint / DPaint.

Quote:
Where is my beloved next, next, next its done option????

Well people are demanding full memory protection; I am only taking about what is need. I'm not going to say it won't never ever happen, but it not realistic it's going to get that. (it's off topic, so I posted it in free for all), I don't think people realize what is need to get that done, it not a simple thing to do.

Its likely you need to scarify some of the thing that we think of as Amiga, to add memory protection that, (or should I say rewrite the OS and its programs.)

Quote:
Even typing needs PC because of better text editor there,

Well there are few things, I need spell checker, writing stuff with out a spell checker, is hopeless for me, so this kind of sucks.

Then there is the fact, that AmigaOS support UTF8 badly, well I believe there is one or two text editors that support UTF8, that is good, but this is a big issue, because it's easier to work with truetype fonts (truetype comes from Linux), then it is to work with AmigaOS native font system, if you like to have UTF8 support.

And then there is things Amiga text editors do not have at all,

Multi-line editing, its useful when you need to format text, if you need to copy some values from a spreadsheet, and wont to put into a program your making, and you need to add " and , symbols, maybe for maybe 100 lines, or you need to right tabulation to format the text.

Replace text in a project, not just one file, if you're working on big C/C++ project.

Color highlighting, that’s not a issue on Amiga you programs like GoldEd, and I believe there is others.

Auto complete, start typing a command and text editor helps you complete it.
Type 4 chars, and press tab, instead of typing 10 chars.

Quote:
and you can make things in Java on PC. So go away with this Hollywood,

Well the most popular platform to make games for this days is Android I believe, this games runs on Java.

And also a game engines like Unity use C# or Mono, well there is lot of game engines and creators out there, some are really powerful.

Some game engines use LUA, there is a new one called mRuby, that can be embedded into C program, so you can use script language for AI scripts, and so on.

Hollywood is not bad, but it is not the most efficient way to make a games.

Quote:
last hope for Amiga computers to have something unique and great. Just use Java,

Joakim Nordström has been working on Java for Amiga for long time, it's not impossible that we will have a full working Java engine in the future.

Quote:
paint with Photoshop

I use Gimp, I have that on AmgaOS4.1, but Gimp is faster on PC (no AmiCygnix). There is sketch block option, I have not tried it, yet.

Quote:
But NutsAboutPC is actually right, go away from anything Amiga related and just use PC.

I'm not really saying that. What I'm just saying it's easier on PC, we use AmigaOS and Amiga hardware because we like it, I don't know way, but we do, even with all the problems we have.

It easy to say that we should not look at what is out there and where a blindfold, and hide in a cave. and be happy not knowing about anything else.

Quote:
My game, when finished, will be PC only, for all "NutsAboutAmiga" here and there.

Well there most defiantly, many people who think Silkworm, Lemmings and Super frog was Amiga. Now they are 35-45 years, and buy games to their kids.

Sadly, many former Amiga users never used workbench, and only used Amiga 500 as game console.

Even back then, PC was the most dominant, in office as an advanced electronic typewriter

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Mar-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Mar-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Mar-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Mar-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Mar-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Mar-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Mar-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Mar-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Mar-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Mar-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Mar-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Mar-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Mar-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Mar-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Mar-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Mar-2015 at 10:38 AM.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 21-Mar-2015 12:12:10
#50 ]

What we need is cooperation on a higher level.
Everyone is cooking his own soup and as it seems aros is doing better than amigaos 4.

The idea of aros hosted is not to run only aros apps but also linux apps.
So the whole "I miss this I miss that" is irrelevant. This weekend I will add aros 68k and aeros will be exclusively on raspberry pi soon.

Did you ever see a Ubuntu advert in TV? No? Soon you will see aros adverts : )

Why? Because aros rules. : p

Can someone tell me how much frames he reaches with wazp3d cow demo on a x1000.
Pi 2 does 630. While running scummvm, dosbox and a bit other stuff

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 21-Mar-2015 at 12:15 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Mar-2015 13:24:57
#51 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

Quote:
What we need is cooperation on a higher level.
Everyone is cooking his own soup and as it seems aros is doing better than amigaos 4.

Yes I think so, at least you won't earn some bucks on software development, you need to support more than one platform. This can be MacOSX, Linux or Windows as well, it depends on what your making. I think this how software developers need to think.

Quote:
The idea of aros hosted is not to run only aros apps but also linux apps.
So the whole "I miss this I miss that" is irrelevant.

If you need Linux, you must deal with Linux package manager, and other Linux stuff, do not will not do that.

In addition, we have Linux apps, so we do not need AROS programs, without programs for AROS, there is no point in using it, you might as well use KDE or Gnome.

Quote:
Can someone tell me how much frames he reaches with wazp3d cow demo on a x1000.

wazp3d is not that fast, we need Warp3D.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Mar-2015 at 01:36 PM.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 21-Mar-2015 14:10:24
#52 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga
On aeros you don't need a package Manager but you get 2
1. Apt-get
2. indiego AppStore

Aeros Apps can be aros or Linux Apps as a mix of both
So i will offer both parallel in the AppStore.

You don't need to Run a package Manager but you "can"
Options. We will provide our own (also for amigaos)
But i Share your thought so i am aiming at amigans and Linux Users at the Same Time.

Linux users will like to have a Dropbox alternative without trafficlimit and a central AppStore.
Users will like to be able to run i386 apps on their arm device .

And a few of them will like to be able to run classic amiga stuff and aros stuff.

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 21-Mar-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 21-Mar-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 21-Mar-2015 at 02:11 PM.

Tomas 
Posted on 21-Mar-2015 15:14:44
#53 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga
I was actually going to include software as well but forgot :P Software is indeed just as important as the games.

orb85750 
Posted on 21-Mar-2015 15:24:08
#54 ]

@Condor

You don't think that developers for Amiga are appreciated by Amiga users?

What is the point of making stuff for PC? How will your product not become lost in the ocean of PC software? Do we really need another PC game or application? Maybe, but only if it is quite a creative & unique accomplishment.

Hypex 
Posted on 21-Mar-2015 15:45:55
#55 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
I also like to play StarCraft.

Have you tried the Stargus port?

Quote:
I need spell checker, writing stuff with out a spell checker, is hopeless for me, so this kind of sucks.

If you learn to speall you won't need to check it!

I installed iSpell into YAM and it does work but it can be lame and annoying. If I get desperate I use Wordworth and then C&P into the program I am using. But it's not a perfect way of doing things. Sometimes I like to post on AW with OSX because it has a spell checker built in and it just works. Usually in all editor windows.

Come to think of it I would have thought MUI text editors would have a built in spell checker by now.

Quote:
And then there is things Amiga text editors do not have at all,

Like functions I need such as lassoing a block of text? So I can cut out a square or a block of tabs? Or even use to add or remove tabs from select lines? Such a simple yet useful idea, I would have thought Amiga editors would have had it years ago. Especially with an IDE.

Quote:
Joakim Nordström has been working on Java for Amiga for long time, it's not impossible that we will have a full working Java engine in the future.

Even if we got good support doesn't mean all Java apps will be compatible. I downloaded a Java app on my PPC OSX. Didn't work. Ran from the comsole. Gave me a shocking error. It was x86 only! There's goes your agnostic runtime CPU compiler, total waste of time Java is, if Java apps are x86 only.

Quote:
Sadly, many former Amiga users never used workbench, and only used Amiga 500 as game console.

I see some people struggle with technical things like adding a CD drive that we got used too years ago. Then there is CPU cards requiring particular jumpers and drivers. To setting up Workbench and adding useful commodities. I a lways get annoying at people who don't load up ClickToFront. How can they stand to live without it!

smartroad 
Posted on 21-Mar-2015 17:54:54
#56 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
I a lways get annoying at people who don't load up ClickToFront. How can they stand to live without it!

Masochists?

Toaks 
Posted on 21-Mar-2015 20:19:33
#57 ]
Elite Member

@all

it's like Umisef says here, 10.000 euro ain't much today.

I have stepped down from a pretty good job with great pay to a ok job with good pay and i get around 70.000 euro a year.
( i know this is not the norm around the world but such pay is quite normal in this country if one work in the industry.).

the thing is not the money though, most Amiga developers are burnt out, persons like the talented Umisef in here did amazing things for the Amiga but was left in the gutter by Amiga Inc etc.
If people like bbrv, ben h. etc knew the consequences of what would happen 10 years after all the crap hit the fan, well i am certain that they would never have jumped on these projects.

oh and yes, the lawsuit didn't help either.

There's been other amazing projects over the years which have been destroyed because of trolls on forum and so on, working on something major and getting the negativity from this community as we call it is one of the key reasons why we are stuck with so little progress.

we ain't getting younger here but we are certainly getting smaller in terms of people.

Last edited by Toaks on 21-Mar-2015 at 09:01 PM.

Hans 
Posted on 22-Mar-2015 5:35:47
#58 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
I don't know if your thinking of datatypes, well datatypes are actually cool, but actually they have not been kept up to date, so things like Alfa blending is not supported in PNG, so instead of datatypes its a lot easier to use libpng that is a Linux picture library from the start.

That's incorrect. You can load PNGs complete with alpha blending using datatypes; you just need to use PDTM_READPIXELARRAY to extract the data rather than using the display bitmap provided via PDTA_BitMap (which is intended for quick display only). Composite3DDemo loads PNGs with alpha channels using this method.

See here.

Hans

Leo 
Posted on 22-Mar-2015 7:43:57
#59 ]

What do you want to do?
Who do you want to target ?
What?
Did any market research?

I don't think you hire programmers to do something you have no idea of...

BTW I really think people should forget about money... This really seems to be an onsession and it won't magically solve any problems...

Open source seems to be the only way.

Thorham 
Posted on 22-Mar-2015 11:18:30
#60 ]

Quote:
Hypex wrote:

Like functions I need such as lassoing a block of text? So I can cut out a square or a block of tabs? Or even use to add or remove tabs from select lines? Such a simple yet useful idea, I would have thought Amiga editors would have had it years ago. Especially with an IDE.

In Amiga text editors you do that with column block marking. FrexxEd, CygnusEd, and probably some others have this feature. Have been using it for many years.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle