Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 110 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

DiscreetFX

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  3 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 billt:  3 hrs 5 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 16 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 19 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 42 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 48 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 56 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  I don't get this no more......
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
NutsAboutAmiga 
Re: I don't get this no more......
Posted on 23-Mar-2015 16:48:32
#81 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Thanks, datatypes works now after modifying my code.

Profile     Report this post  
Jupp3 
Posted on 24-Mar-2015 10:35:43
#82 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
It is hard to find anything Amiga is good at these days, besides its nice OS because it's simplistic and different.

But it boots fast!1!1

(just kidding)

While true, it's been losing importance since most people stopped shutting down / rebooting their computers (by either not turning them off / putting them to sleep instead)

And of course, even with the faster reboot time, when compared to actual usage time, you will likely spend more time waiting for Amiga(ish) OS reboot more than, say, average windows / linux system (simply because you will end up rebooting more often)

And besides, rebooting has actually became slower compared to how fast it can be on classics (simply due to more time spent with bios etc.)

As for the salary discussion, I have a bit mixed feelings about that. For me, a job is always a combination of 2 things:

1)Compensation I get for it
and
2)General satisfaction

So if I would f.ex. have to code for Symbian (which luckily is 100% dead by now), I'd definitely expect to be compensated more. On the other hand, if I was doing something I really like, I would likely do it even with lower salary. It's always a matter of balancing between the two.

Of course there are limits how low either can go (need to be compensated enough to pay rent, buy food etc. and also make sure you don't lose your sanity by doing too much Symbian development), but one thing is certain:

It should be the person doing the job that should agree with the terms.

As for text editors, I'm rather satisfied with the scintilla-based editor that comes with MorphOS. Sure, "with defaults", it might look rather basic compared to other modern-ish editors, but I kind of like how it doesn't try to "jump into developers face" like f.ex. kdevelop editor often does (where I often have to manually cancel unwanted autocomplete).
Sure, such features are there, but without the "It looks like you're trying to do (something else than you're actually trying to do), so let me do this automatically instead." crap

But why am I using the OS at all? Of course I have my reasons.
-Growing up with Classic Amiga - back in the day, it was just SO much better for any productivity work than average MS-DOS system (don't even bother mentioning Windows, especially pre-95 versions)
-Clear system design: I know (better than on f.ex. average linux distro) what happens when the system is booted
-Modern "bare minimum to be usable" (for me) achieved & exceeded (modern enough browser, good enough text editor & C compiler, basic libraries like OpenGL, SDL etc, good video player, emulators - I don't need or want to use word processors, and even those would be usable in-browser)
-Affordable hardware. If the only option would be buying over 500EUR hardware, I wouldn't be here anymore.
-No piles of legacy components below "modern" ones, that should already be gone by now (I mean things like X11 on linux. Sure, I guess on Amiga side, in some cases, we just lack "modern layer" on top of it)
-While I use linux a lot, it's often nice to sometimes use "something else for a change", that's why PowerBook became my primary laptop (of course it helped that the battery on my X86 netbook died )
-No single entity dictating what we must accept at any time (like we have Microsoft on Windows side) - if you don't like your NG OS, there are 2 others. And even if you won't be making the switch, the simple presence of the others might make everyone behave better.

And if you think any "wars" regarding different solutions would be somehow "Amiga-exclusive", think again. From linux world, I need to mention only one word: Systemd.

tangoone 
Posted on 24-Mar-2015 17:13:56
#83 ]

@Condor

This is what I have been saying, we as a community we must do something fast or else...

My idea is to setup a new company (user driven) with the goal is to produce a new modern amiga (based on the classic amiga).

But I need to find someone with the same idea (passion)

OlafS25 
Posted on 24-Mar-2015 23:09:15
#84 ]
Elite Member

@tangoone

have you heared of apollo core? It is exact your idea. And it is already advanced

orb85750 
Posted on 25-Mar-2015 22:41:41
#85 ]

@OlafS25

Previously known as Natami?

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Mar-2015 23:29:27
#86 ]
Elite Member

@orb85750

yes and no

it has common roots and parts of the natami team started with the new core a long time ago and continued with it later. The main difference is that the Natami was based on custom hardware whereas the apollo core runs on affordable off-the-shelve mass produced hardware.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 25-Mar-2015 at 11:30 PM.

bison 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 16:11:13
#87 ]
Elite Member

@Jupp3

Quote:
And if you think any "wars" regarding different solutions would be somehow "Amiga-exclusive", think again. From linux world, I need to mention only one word: Systemd.

That may soon ramp up to an even higher level -- it looks like they recently forked the Linux kernel:

https://github.com/systemdaemon/systemd/tree/master/src/linux

More info (sort of):

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=121167

More info:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9288118

See the first post -- it looks like this is a hoax. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Some Linux fragmentation might be a good thing.

Last edited by bison on 30-Mar-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Last edited by bison on 30-Mar-2015 at 04:19 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 16:41:01
#88 ]
Elite Member

@bison

Isn't Linux fragmented enough already? There's more distros than AmigaOS off-shoots.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 19:12:49
#89 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

There are more distros then Linux users

http://futurist.se/gldt/wp-content/uploads/12.10/gldt1210.png

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-Mar-2015 at 07:17 PM.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 21:36:50
#90 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
There are more distros then Linux users

That's very good comment. it's funny and "close to truth" at the same time.

The best one is Damn Vulnerable Linux. Authors of that one must have high self esteem.

(I can't stop laughing.)

Every programmer wanted to make their own programming language in 1990s. And it looks like every programmer and university student have created their own Linux distro in 2000s as a trend. What's next. Every programmer creating their own database engine. (One for SQL, one for big data, fast data, even bigger data, insane data...)

bison 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 21:39:19
#91 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

There are a lot of distros, and there is a lot of kernel patching going on, but there has really only been one mainstream branch of the kernel. There are forks that are created for specific purposes such as embedded devices, but so far there hasn't been a situation where there are two dueling Linux kernel projects. And I think it might be good if there were two. The systemd fork seems to be a hoax, but it it were real, I would expect to see a lot of systemd stuff pulled out of the existing kernel tree, and then there would be a two distinct kernels with divergent feature sets.

The trouble with having just one is that it tends to get bloated. If there were two, one of them would take a more minimalistic path, and that it the one that would interest me.

bison 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 21:45:31
#92 ]
Elite Member

@Tomppeli

Quote:
Every programmer wanted to make their own programming language in 1990s. And it looks like every programmer and university student have created their own Linux distro in 2000s as a trend. What's next. Every programmer creating their own database engine.

Those who can do. Reading about programming language and OS design tends to make one want to give it a go.

ne_one 
Posted on 31-Mar-2015 5:26:45
#93 ]
Cult Member

@tangoone

The hardware isn't the issue - it's the OS.

Hypex 
Posted on 31-Mar-2015 15:50:14
#94 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

That's amazing! It's almost too much. Makes the split Amiga communty look like an ubbroken family.

ferrels 
Posted on 31-Mar-2015 19:35:11
#95 ]
Cult Member

@tangoone

Quote:

tangoone wrote:
@Condor

This is what I have been saying, we as a community we must do something fast or else...

My idea is to setup a new company (user driven) with the goal is to produce a new modern amiga (based on the classic amiga).

But I need to find someone with the same idea (passion)

So your plan is to set up a company that doesn't yet have a product based on passion. That's as bad an idea as setting up a company that DOES have a product that no one wants (just ask Hyperion). If you're looking for venture capital to set up a company, you need to have a business plan and a product, or at least a prototype of that product that has consumer demand and can be sold at a reasonable price while ensuring a profit. The passion you speak of is pointless without a plan, a product, customers, and the funds to get your product into the market.

And Amigas will never be part of mainstream computing again and any talk to the contrary is just delusional.

ne_one 
Posted on 1-Apr-2015 3:57:03
#96 ]
Cult Member

@ferrels

Hyperion doesn't have a compelling product and steadfastly refused to do anything to extend its reach when the opportunity was there. A-eon has been keeping things alive.

ferrels 
Posted on 1-Apr-2015 6:03:11
#97 ]
Cult Member

@ne_one

A-Eon has NOT been keeping anything alive. That's why Hyperion is bankrupt. A-Eon HAS delivered an overpriced, underpowered X1000 which hasn't helped Hyperion in the least. If it had, Hyperion would still be in business But Hyperion has also been its own worst enemy. OS4 doesn't even have rough feature parity with Windows 95 and the OS4 updates over the past 10 years are a joke. USB support is terrible, printing support is almost nonexistent, and 3D support is only a subset of OpenGL 1.2...and no useful business applications, etc....

That's unacceptable for a motherboard that costs US $3000 and an OS that costs as much or more than Windows.

I'm surprised that Hyperion lasted this long, but I suppose when you're not doing any real development, stiffing your creditors and programers, and still shipping a few copies of OS4 periodically one can drag things out a bit longer......

orb85750 
Posted on 2-Apr-2015 23:49:03
#98 ]

Lots of love in this thread.

ne_one 
Posted on 3-Apr-2015 3:36:53
#99 ]
Cult Member

@ferrels

Quote:
A-Eon has NOT been keeping anything alive. That's why Hyperion is bankrupt. A-Eon HAS delivered an overpriced, underpowered X1000 which hasn't helped Hyperion in the least. If it had, Hyperion would still be in business But Hyperion has also been its own worst enemy.

It's certainly not A-Eon's responsibility to produce affordable hardware to sustain either the market or Hyperion. Hardware is conveniently targeted as the source of all evil but it has never been the real issue.

For years Hyperion insisted that multiplatform support wasn't feasible and continued to base their product and business model on sustaining 30-year-old software on end-of-life hardware.

We've heard a litany of reasons why the OS was never made to be platform agnostic and none of those reasons made any sense 10 years ago and they are even more ridiculous now.

The market changed. People stopped upholding their religious commitment to CPUs. Inexpensive solutions emerged.

How did Hyperion adapt? They insisted on maintaining the status quo.

ferrels 
Posted on 3-Apr-2015 6:05:54
#100 ]
Cult Member

@ne_one

Agreed! And I wholeheartedly concur that it isn't A-Eon's responsibility to produce affordable hardware. A-Eon's sales slogan should be "Poor performance doesn't come cheap!" as evidenced by their $3000 motherboard that performs like a Pentium III from 12 years ago.

OS4 wanna-be's would have been better off petitioning Bill Buck for another production run of PegII's. PegII's outperform the x1000 and I only paid $700 for mine back in 2008. Sold it to a guy in NJ 3 years later for about $750 and left OS4 behind. It's pretty much useless as an OS unless one enjoys browsing the web with hopelessly outdated/broken browsers and apps that don't have feature parity with anything in this century.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle