Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 143 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 37 mins ago
 billt:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 56 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 58 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 22 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 28 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 36 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  4 hrs 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga PPC Linux
      /  A1-X1000: Linux Kernel 4.1
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
xeno74 
Re: A1-X1000: Linux Kernel 4.1
Posted on 29-Jun-2015 6:40:57
#41 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

You need the sudo command to do that.

sudo cp -R "kernel modules directory" /lib/modules

Profile     Report this post  
xeno74 
Posted on 30-Jun-2015 18:28:27
#42 ]
Cult Member

Dear Testers,

Linus Torvalds released the first bug fix version of kernel 4.1 yesterday. I cross compiled it for our AMIGA one X1000 today.

ChangeLog-4.1.1

Download: vmlinux-4.1.1-cc-AMIGA_one_X1000.tar.bz2

Could you please test the 3D acceleration with Glxgears and SuperTuxKart?

I would like to thank you very much in advance for testing the first bug fix version of kernel 4.1.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

I am looking forward to getting your reply.

Best regards,

Christian

zzd10h 
Posted on 30-Jun-2015 18:57:52
#43 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@xeno74

"Could you please test the 3D acceleration with Glxgears and SuperTuxKart?"

Not for Radeon SI, right ?

xeno74 
Posted on 1-Jul-2015 5:31:06
#44 ]
Cult Member

@zzd10h

The Linux kernel 4.1 supports Radeon Si graphics cards but Mesa not. I tested the latest Mesa version but unfortunately the LLVM bug still exists.

You could test the kernel 4.1.1 without 3D acceleration if you like.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 3-Jul-2015 2:26:24
#45 ]
Cult Member

@xeno74

Quote:
You need the sudo command to do that.
sudo cp -R "kernel modules directory" /lib/modules

I must be really stupid. I can't figure out how to make that work. I tried a bunch of things, from that sudo command literally (suspecting that I should substitute something for "kernel modules directory") to

sudo cp -R "4.0 Filesystem/vmlinux-4.1-rc8-Amiga_one-X1000/kernel_modules" /lib/modules

but /lib/modules content never changes, just 3.2.0-23-powerpc64-smp and 3.10.15-1X1000_PW-1/3f. And sudo is never kind enough to tell me whether it is doing anything I want or not.

Signal 
Posted on 3-Jul-2015 16:38:18
#46 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

You really are making things more difficult than need be, and everybody is new at this at one time or another.

Install gnome-commander.

You should be able to install gnome-commander by using either the Software Manager in your System folder someplace, or Synaptic Package Manager if Ubuntu has that.
If either of those has a Search function just type in gnome-commander.

If Ubuntu uses the Apt system you can open a terminal and type sudo apt-get install gnome-commander. Or, open a terminal and type su (enter) type your password at the prompt and then apt-get install gnome-commander.

Once gnome-commander is installed you should find it in Accessories or System tools.

Open gnome-commander and click on the File heading at the top, go down to Start GNOME Commander as Root. Then enter your password and a new window will open with root privileges.

In the left window there will be a folder icon with 2 dots, click on that until you get to the main (root) directory, then (depending on where the new modules are) go to /home then /username folder, the /downloads then /vmlinux-4.1-rc8-AMIGA_one_X1000/kernel_modules/ and the folder you are looking for is named 4.1.0-rc8_A-EON_AMIGA_one_X1000_Nemo.

This folder will be whereever you told the archiver to put it, it might be right in your username folder.

Now click in the right window and again get to the main directory and click /lib then /modules. You should see the modules now installed on the system.

Go back to the left window single click on 4.1.0-rc8_A-EON_AMIGA_one_X1000_Nemo folder and down at the bottom click F5 Copy. That should do it. close the gnome-commander windows and reboot.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 5-Jul-2015 1:37:41
#47 ]
Cult Member

@Signal
Today I easily succeeded in copying "kernel_modules" to /lib/modules. I had (unwisely, I suppose) unarchived to my CF card, which sudo refused to recognize. Today I copied it from there to Desktop, where sudo found it and copied it from. I'll keep a copy of your instructions and look into GNOME Commander another day. Thanks.

One more thing confuses me. Christian said copy "kernal modules directory," which I believe I did. But you say I should copy the Nemo file. The nemo file is now the single occupant of /lib/modules/kernel_modules. Will whatever needs to find nemo look for it there, or should I make it /lib/modules/4.1.0-rc8_A-EON_AMIGA_one_X1000_Nemo?

I guess I'll try it as is, but I wonder how I would know if it is working?

Signal 
Posted on 5-Jul-2015 15:31:13
#48 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

Quote:

or should I make it /lib/modules/4.1.0-rc8_A-EON_AMIGA_one_X1000_Nemo?

Yes. That folder is what the kernel looks for.

It may not make a whole lot of difference as xeno74 builds just about everything into the kernel itself. About the only way you could tell if the modules are needed is when something won't work, but that is no excuse for not installing them.

If you were to use one of my kernels you would definitely need the modules.

Hypex 
Posted on 5-Jul-2015 16:14:05
#49 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

Can the Commander copy to root drawers? One thing that annoyed me on the desktop was that it was easy enough to open it in an unarchiver but it gave permission errors on wrtte. If only it asked for a damn password like on OSX we wouldn't have this trouble!

Last edited by Hypex on 06-Jul-2015 at 04:01 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 5-Jul-2015 16:16:02
#50 ]
Elite Member

@xeno74

Why don't you build it as .deb package? That way it would install easily for the user without messing around. And also for you when updating.

Signal 
Posted on 5-Jul-2015 18:01:49
#51 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Yes. Paragraph 6 in post 46.

"Open gnome-commander and click on the File heading at the top, go down to Start GNOME Commander as Root. Then enter your password and a new window will open with root privileges."

You really do not want to unarc to a root folder. If there is an error........ just don't do that. I usually unarc to /home/me/Public or just make a new folder called junk, or unarched.

Then if there's no problem use gnome-commander as root to move it into a protected folder.

To partly answer your question to xeno74. Not everybody keeps their kernels or modules or linux on the same path. I think 'tricky' would be the correct term for trying to use a installer.

xeno74 
Posted on 5-Jul-2015 18:38:58
#52 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Because of the flexibility of the installation locations. You can install the Linux kernel on the USB flash drive, CF card, and on hard disks.

Last edited by xeno74 on 05-Jul-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Geri 
Posted on 5-Jul-2015 20:58:09
#53 ]
Elite Member

@xeno74

Quote:
xeno74 wrote:
@Hypex

Because of the flexibility of the installation locations. You can install the Linux kernel on the USB flash drive, CF card, and on hard disks.

That shouldn't be a big hurdle, if the user can configure the install location somewhere (maybe during the system installation or afterwards). Otherwise some simple bash scripts can fully automate the kernel install/upgrade and removal process. Maybe also the setup of a boot menu can be automated, if there are Linux tools available to edit the CFE environment variables. Are there any?

- A1 Linux support -

Signal 
Posted on 6-Jul-2015 15:24:50
#54 ]
Cult Member

@Geri

IMO, there are some pitfalls to your post.

The people that would need auto install most are the ones that would know the least about configuring where things should go. It could be a disaster in the making.

As for automating the boot menu setup, there have been and will be kernels that just won't work on some 'same computer - different installed peripherals' situations, and again could create problems for certain people. The best way to try a new kernel, IMO, is to type in the commands. That way if the kernel won't boot ..... no harm done.

I do not know of any Linux tools to edit CFE.

Otherwise, good thinking.

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Jul-2015 16:10:52
#55 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

That reminds me, I also got around this by runnning nautilus as root from a shell.

I used to edit my a1boot.conf a lot and got so sick of being unable to save it because I always forgot it was root protected, that once day I just stuffed it and did achmod 0777 on it. Problem solved!

Not solved the best way but it worked.

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Jul-2015 16:15:26
#56 ]
Elite Member

@xeno74

The flexibility should make it easier! Perhaps then just install the modules and put the kernel into /boot for example so it is left for the user to sort out.

And, AFAIK, the HD is a redundant location because CFE cannot boot Linux off it? Unless it works if certain conditions are met.

Geri 
Posted on 6-Jul-2015 18:10:18
#57 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

Quote:
Signal wrote:
@Geri

IMO, there are some pitfalls to your post.

The people that would need auto install most are the ones that would know the least about configuring where things should go. It could be a disaster in the making.

That's a matter of setting a reasonable default for the install location during the system installation, which experienced users should be able to override (if they know what they are doing).

Quote:
As for automating the boot menu setup, there have been and will be kernels that just won't work on some 'same computer - different installed peripherals' situations, and again could create problems for certain people. The best way to try a new kernel, IMO, is to type in the commands. That way if the kernel won't boot ..... no harm done.

Usually new kernel packages are installed alongside an existing/running kernel, thus there would always be a fall-back solution. Even better, the kernel maintainer could also provide updated scrips, which automatically add different kernel arguments, if they should be required by a new kernel release.
Plus it saves you the 5 min of work you have to spent for upgrading the kernel, when you could already watch the prime-time movie on TV...

Quote:
I do not know of any Linux tools to edit CFE.

That's indeed a hurdle.

Quote:
Otherwise, good thinking.

Unfortunately not my idea. GRUB and friends handle these things since a long time.

- A1 Linux support -

Signal 
Posted on 6-Jul-2015 20:34:26
#58 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex
Quote:
That reminds me, I also got around this by running nautilus as root from a shell.

Yeah, I asked which manager was used by Ubuntu ( I run LinuxMint PPC) back in post 32 but did not get an answer.

Quote:
And, AFAIK, the HD is a redundant location because CFE cannot boot Linux off it? Unless it works if certain conditions are met.

CFE can boot off a HD if the boot section is FAT or EXT2. That usually means a separate partition. That partition does not need be named /boot as CFE will look for /dev/sdxx, and the distros will want to install new kernels and stuff into /boot, even though our equipment can't use them.

Personally, I like CFE. Most do not. 6 of 1, half dozen of the other.(shrug)

@Geri
Quote:
which experienced users should be able to override (if they know what they are doing).

Catch22?

Probably why windows demands users know nothing.

Quote:
Usually new kernel packages are installed alongside an existing/running kernel, thus there would always be a fall-back solution. Even better, the kernel maintainer could also provide updated scrips, which automatically add different kernel arguments, if they should be required by a new kernel release.

Trust me, not a good idea for CFE. Usually the kernels ARE supplied with the necessary boot commands etcetera, but if people are too afraid to enter them themselves.... well, what are you going to do? I know for sure you have, in the past done, some things that may have destroyed an OS completly. You went to the chalkboard, wrote the heading 'Oh Crap!' and then 'I'll never do that again' 1000 times.

Now there is an education you can't get anywhere for any price. And nobody died.

Hypex 
Posted on 7-Jul-2015 16:20:23
#59 ]
Elite Member

@xeno74

I really need to update my kernel and test yours. Last time I checked my X1000 had no sound. And IIRC on board sound was supported in Linux.

Geri 
Posted on 7-Jul-2015 21:04:41
#60 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

Quote:
Quote:
which experienced users should be able to override (if they know what they are doing).

Catch22?

Probably why windows demands users know nothing.

Well, Windows isn't about choice, so you have to live with whatever Microsoft thinks is good for you.

Quote:
Quote:

Trust me, not a good idea for CFE. Usually the kernels ARE supplied with the necessary boot commands etcetera, but if people are too afraid to enter them themselves.... well, what are you going to do?

The idea is that user intervention should not be necessary at all - except for initiating the install/removal process of a kernel package. Everything else would be handled by some scripts that copy the kernel image to a predefined location and sets up the CFE boot menu. So that's a moot question.

Naturally there needs to be a standard/common setup in this case - maybe where the boot images are on a CF card with a specific partition (FAT, right?). However it would certainly be possible to support other boot sources - it's just a question of how "intelligent" the scripts are made.
And last but not least the Debian package management would allow one to modify the setup and preserve it in case the maintainer updates the scripts and thus changes the setup. In the end the installation process would be easier and quicker for the ordinary users, while experienced users still have all the freedom (and will certainly use it).

Quote:
I know for sure you have, in the past done, some things that may have destroyed an OS completly. You went to the chalkboard, wrote the heading 'Oh Crap!' and then 'I'll never do that again' 1000 times.

Sure, except for the last part.

Quote:
Now there is an education you can't get anywhere for any price. And nobody died.

We're just talking about kernel packages and bootloaders, right?

- A1 Linux support -

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle