Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 109 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 saimo:  5 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  5 mins ago
 sibbi:  6 mins ago
 vox:  17 mins ago
 kolla:  27 mins ago
 Mr_DBUG:  28 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga PPC Linux
      /  A1-X1000: Linux Kernel 4.1
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hypex 
Re: A1-X1000: Linux Kernel 4.1
Posted on 11-Jul-2015 16:36:57
#61 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Quote:
Everything else would be handled by some scripts that copy the kernel image to a predefined location and sets up the CFE boot menu.

On the X1000 this a problem. Infact it's really no different from the A1 but the X1000 lacks certain support to make booting Linux easy.

One is that we are told once an OS boots it cannot write variables to NVRAM. AFAIK, the X1000 is the only AmigaOne labeled machine with this problem.

If we take booting A1 Linux into account, that moved away from UBoot variables and into config files on the Linux volume, so this shouldn't be an issue. But it becomes one bacause the X1000, unlike the A1 XE, doesn't have an SLB that supports booting into Linux.

So the user has to manually set this up in the menu. And CFE deesn't have a GUI either.

Apart from that there is a futher issue. There is a CFE bug that prevents a Linux kernel booting off an RDB volume in a dual boot setup like mine. A seperate drive formatted as MBR/FAT is said to work IIRC. Though using MBR on a PPC machine isn't exactly correct to me, as it would expect an Apple partition map. And MBR is for x86. So the user tends to offload the kernel onto a USB or CF card. And AFAIK it can't determine where the kernel was booted from. Except manuallly putting in a custom boot arg which wouldn't really solve anything.

So, the X1000 is a great machine for Linux, but unfortunately the support for booting Linux directly off the X1000 sucks. At least from a users point of view.

Last edited by Hypex on 12-Jul-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Last edited by Hypex on 11-Jul-2015 at 04:39 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
xeno74 
Posted on 11-Jul-2015 17:34:40
#62 ]
Cult Member

Linus Torvalds released the second bug fix version of kernel 4.1 yesterday. I compiled it for our AMIGA one X1000 today.

ChangeLog-4.1.2

Download: vmlinux-4.1.2-AMIGA_one_X1000.tar.bz2

Geri 
Posted on 12-Jul-2015 11:28:43
#63 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Hypex wrote:
@Geri

Quote:
Everything else would be handled by some scripts that copy the kernel image to a predefined location and sets up the CFE boot menu.

On the X1000 this a problem. Infact it's really no different from the A1 but the X1000 lacks certain support to make booting Linux easy.

One is that we are told once an OS boots it cannot write variables to NVRAM. AFAIK, the X1000 is the only AmigaOne labeled machine with this problem.

The X1000 is not the only machine with this problem, if we focus specifically on Linux: Linux cannot access the U-Boot NVRAM on the A1, too. But, your right: missing NVRAM access from within the OS is indeed a problem (as I mentioned before). The difference for Linux on the A1 is just that it is not needed to setup the boot entry, but you cannot set the default boot entry from within Linux.

Quote:
If we take booting A1 Linux into account, that moved away from UBoot variables and into config files on the Linux volume, this shouldn't be an issue. But it becoems one bacause the X1000, unlike the A1 XE, doesn't have an SLB that support booting off Linux.

Fully agree.

Quote:
So the user has to manually set this up in the menu. And CFE deesn't have a GUI either

IMHO the question is, if it is possible to write an NVRAM driver for Linux that allows to modify the environment from within the OS. I think that is possible, given that a lot of routers used CFE as firmware and the Linux systems used on these devices stored their setup in NVRAM.

Quote:
Apart from that there is a futher issue. There is a CFE bug that prevents a Linux kernel booting off an RDB volume in a dual boot setup like mine. A seperate drive formatted as MBr/FAT is said to work IIRC, though using MBR on a PPC machine isn't exactly correct to me, as it would expect an Apple partition map. And MBR is for x86. So the user tends to offload the kernel onto a USB or CF card. And AFAIK it can't determine where the kernel was booted from. Except manuallly putting in a custom boot arg which wouldn't really solve anything.

Well, after all MBR is just a partition table format. AFAICT even standard U-Boot versions can only boot from a PPC PReP boot partition, if the disk has a MBR partition table (although this an unnecessary limitation from my point of view). And fdisk (the tool to setup MBR partitions) defines a specific "PPC PReP boot" partition system ID.

But why should it be necessary to determine where the kernel was booted from? The "boot" location of the kernel image would be defined once in a config file on the Linux system. That would be enough, if Linux on the X1000 can access CF disks and USB sticks.

Quote:
So, the X1000 is a great machine for Linux, but unfortunately the support for booting Linux directly off the X1000 sucks. At least from a users point of view.

True, but I still think the install process of a new kernel could be made easier for inexperienced users (and lazy ones like me, which hate to do the same thing over and over again ) and with some constraints (e.g. kernel needs to be on a CF or USB disk). At least the scripts could throw out the CFE command needed to setup the boot entry within CFE so that users doesn't have to remember it (less error prone).

- A1 Linux support -

Hypex 
Posted on 16-Jul-2015 15:04:34
#64 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Quote:
Linux cannot access the U-Boot NVRAM on the A1, too.

That's true. We don't think about it these days.

Quote:
The difference for Linux on the A1 is just that it is not needed to setup the boot entry, but you cannot set the default boot entry from within Linux.

And certainly not when it's part of the SLB menu.

Quote:
I think that is possible, given that a lot of routers used CFE as firmware and the Linux systems used on these devices stored their setup in NVRAM.

True, yes. AFAIK the NVRAM can be stored in the flashrom. I had this idea to create a CFE menu editor for the X1000. It would install easily off a USB stick with a batch command to run the instlaler. It would then add a menu to the final slot for editing. And would have the menu editor ran from batch commands stored in variables. I didn't experiemnt to see if it can be done.

Quote:
And fdisk (the tool to setup MBR partitions) defines a specific "PPC PReP boot" partition system ID.

Yes I suppose. It just didn't seem PPC optimised for my taste. And foreign for PPC Linux on the A1.

Quote:
But why should it be necessary to determine where the kernel was booted from?

So it would know where to update it.

Quote:
That would be enough, if Linux on the X1000 can access CF disks and USB sticks.

Actually I have a problem here. I use a flash drive to boot the kernel off that's plugged into an Apple keyboard. Linux can't see the drive. And CFE FAT support is unstable. I can't boot Linux ATM because it can't find the kernel off my USB stick. That means I have to reformat and restore again. It gets ridiculous.

Quote:
At least the scripts could throw out the CFE command needed to setup the boot entry within CFE so that users doesn't have to remember it (less error prone).

Good point. They could choose the kennel device. And the installer could even write batch commands to the device. On bootup these are executed with a slight manual entry and a new menu appears! There we just made it easier!

Last edited by Hypex on 16-Jul-2015 at 03:08 PM.

xeno74 
Posted on 22-Jul-2015 7:32:39
#65 ]
Cult Member

Download: vmlinux-4.1.3-AMIGA_one_X1000.tar.bz2

New:

- New Radeon firmwares (firmware-linux-nonfree all 0.44)

New Radeon firmwares:

Quote:

BONAIRE_vce.bin BONAIRE_mc2.bin bonaire_ce.bin bonaire_mc.bin bonaire_me.bin bonaire_mec.bin bonaire_pfp.bin bonaire_rlc.bin bonaire_sdma.bin bonaire_smc.bin HAINAN_mc2.bin hainan_ce.bin hainan_mc.bin hainan_me.bin hainan_pfp.bin hainan_rlc.bin hainan_smc.bin HAWAII_mc2.bin hawaii_ce.bin hawaii_mc.bin hawaii_me.bin hawaii_mec.bin hawaii_pfp.bin hawaii_rlc.bin hawaii_sdma.bin hawaii_smc.bin kabini_ce.bin kabini_me.bin kabini_mec.bin kabini_pfp.bin kabini_rlc.bin kabini_sdma.bin kaveri_ce.bin kaveri_me.bin kaveri_mec2.bin kaveri_mec.bin kaveri_pfp.bin kaveri_rlc.bin kaveri_sdma.bin MULLINS_ce.bin MULLINS_me.bin MULLINS_mec.bin MULLINS_pfp.bin MULLINS_rlc.bin MULLINS_sdma.bin mullins_ce.bin mullins_me.bin mullins_mec.bin mullins_pfp.bin mullins_rlc.bin mullins_sdma.bin OLAND_mc2.bin oland_ce.bin oland_mc.bin oland_me.bin oland_pfp.bin oland_rlc.bin oland_smc.bin PITCAIRN_mc2.bin pitcairn_ce.bin pitcairn_mc.bin pitcairn_me.bin pitcairn_pfp.bin pitcairn_rlc.bin pitcairn_smc.bin R600_uvd.bin RS780_uvd.bin RV770_uvd.bin TAHITI_mc2.bin tahiti_ce.bin tahiti_mc.bin tahiti_me.bin tahiti_pfp.bin tahiti_rlc.bin tahiti_smc.bin VERDE_mc2.bin verde_ce.bin verde_mc.bin verde_me.bin verde_pfp.bin verde_rlc.bin verde_smc.bin

Other changes: https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/log/?id=refs/tags/v4.1.3

ChangeLog: https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/ChangeLog-4.1.3

xeno74 
Posted on 4-Aug-2015 10:31:08
#66 ]
Cult Member

A new bug fix release of kernel 4.1 is available.

New:

- ubuntu MATE 15.10 support
- systemd support

Other changes: git.kernel.org

ChangeLog-4.1.4

Download: vmlinux-4.1.4-AMIGA_one_X1000.tar.bz2

Kernel 4.1.4 (2015) and kernel 2.0.30 (1997) together:

xeno74 
Posted on 11-Aug-2015 10:10:13
#67 ]
Cult Member

There is a new bug fix release of the kernel 4.1 available.

Download: vmlinux-4.1.5-AMIGA_one_X1000.tar.bz2

New: git.kernel.org

ChangeLog: ChangeLog-4.1.5

It also includes:

- KVM_BOOK3S_64_PR
- Mac-on-Linux support
- Network support for AROS hosted
- Support for 4 serial ports
- Bluetooth USB dongle support
- Kernel tracing with ftrace
- ubuntu MATE 15.04 and 15.10 support
- Debian 8 support
- Btrfs support
- systemd support
- Linux kernel icon for OS4.1 by Tommysammy

ubuntu MATE 15.10 PowerPC and kernel 4.1.5 with Excel 95 and CorelDRAW 7. 

Geri 
Posted on 15-Aug-2015 20:14:37
#68 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Hypex wrote:
@Geri

Quote:
I think that is possible, given that a lot of routers used CFE as firmware and the Linux systems used on these devices stored their setup in NVRAM.

True, yes. AFAIK the NVRAM can be stored in the flashrom. I had this idea to create a CFE menu editor for the X1000. It would install easily off a USB stick with a batch command to run the instlaler. It would then add a menu to the final slot for editing. And would have the menu editor ran from batch commands stored in variables. I didn't experiemnt to see if it can be done.

So this CFE menu editor would run within the CFE environment, right?

Quote:
Quote:
And fdisk (the tool to setup MBR partitions) defines a specific "PPC PReP boot" partition system ID.

Yes I suppose. It just didn't seem PPC optimised for my taste. And foreign for PPC Linux on the A1.

Well, the first standard for PowerPC machines (PReP) defined a system that was very much like a normal PC (in terms of the used hardware components), but with a PowerPC processor. So the AmigaOne isn't that different from a PReP machine, except for its U-Boot firmware.

Quote:
Quote:
But why should it be necessary to determine where the kernel was booted from?

So it would know where to update it.

IMHO that can be defined once in a config file, as it is unlikely that the installation location changes all the time.

Quote:
Quote:
That would be enough, if Linux on the X1000 can access CF disks and USB sticks.

Actually I have a problem here. I use a flash drive to boot the kernel off that's plugged into an Apple keyboard. Linux can't see the drive. And CFE FAT support is unstable. I can't boot Linux ATM because it can't find the kernel off my USB stick. That means I have to reformat and restore again. It gets ridiculous.

Hmm, either something is wrong with the USB hub hardware in your Apple keyboard or the USB support in this Linux kernel is incomplete!?
Did somebody investigate the problem with the CFE FAT support?

Quote:
Quote:
At least the scripts could throw out the CFE command needed to setup the boot entry within CFE so that users doesn't have to remember it (less error prone).

Good point. They could choose the kennel device. And the installer could even write batch commands to the device. On bootup these are executed with a slight manual entry and a new menu appears! There we just made it easier!

Right! Just like copying things from someone else is always easier!

- A1 Linux support -

xeno74 
Posted on 17-Aug-2015 17:30:11
#69 ]
Cult Member

Linux Kernel Release 4.1 - Update 6 is available.

Download: vmlinux-4.1.6-AMIGA_one_X1000.tar.bz2

New:

- git.kernel.org
- ChangeLog-4.1.6

xeno74 
Posted on 14-Sep-2015 13:35:52
#70 ]
Cult Member

Hi All,

A new bug fix release of kernel 4.1 is available.

Download: vmlinux-4.1.7-AMIGA_one_X1000.tar.bz2

New:

- Wacom Intuos/Graphire tablet support (USB)

- https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/log/?id=refs/tags/v4.1.7

ChangeLog: https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/ChangeLog-4.1.7

It also includes:

- KVM_BOOK3S_64_PR

Support running guest kernels in virtual machines on processors without using hypervisor mode in the host, by running the guest in user mode (problem state) and emulating all privileged instructions and registers.
This is not as fast as using hypervisor mode, but works on machines where hypervisor mode is not available or not usable, and can emulate processors that are different from the host processor, including emulating 32-bit processors on a 64-bit host.

- Mac-on-Linux support
- network support for AROS hosted
- support for 4 serial ports
- Bluetooth USB dongle support
- kernel tracing with ftrace
- ubuntu MATE 15.04 and 15.10 support
- Debian 8 support
- Btrfs support
- systemd support
- Linux kernel icon for OS4.1 by Tommysammy

Cheers,

Christian

xeno74 
Posted on 22-Sep-2015 9:12:38
#71 ]
Cult Member

A new bug fix release of kernel 4.1 has been released.

New: Git log and ChangeLog

Download: vmlinux-4.1.8-AMIGA_one_X1000.tar.bz2

The Linux kernel 4.1 will be a longterm kernel.

LTSI-4.1 Development Schedule

xeno74 
Posted on 30-Sep-2015 7:05:49
#72 ]
Cult Member

The longterm kernel 4.1.9 was released yesterday.

Download: vmlinux-4.1.9-AMIGA_one_X1000.tar.bz2

New:

Git log

Changelog

PLEASE use this kernel if you want a stable and reliable kernel for your AmigaONE X1000. The kernels 4.3 and 4.2 are only for experienced users who want to test some new features.

I tested the new stable longterm kernel 4.1.9 with a virtual PowerMac G3 QEMU KVM machine booted with ubuntu MATE 15.10 beta2 PowerPC.

Last edited by xeno74 on 30-Sep-2015 at 07:45 AM.

xeno74 
Posted on 6-Oct-2015 8:18:55
#73 ]
Cult Member

The longterm kernel 4.1.10 is available.

New:

Git log
ChangeLog

Download: vmlinux-4.1.10-AMIGA_one_X1000.tar.bz2

PLEASE use this kernel if you want a stable and reliable kernel for your AmigaONE X1000. The kernels 4.3 and 4.2 are only for experienced users who want to test some new features.

I successfully tested the longterm kernel 4.1.10 with ubuntu MATE 15.10 PowerPC in a chroot on Lubuntu 12.04.5 PowerPC today.

xeno74 
Posted on 23-Oct-2015 17:36:43
#74 ]
Cult Member

I have released the new longterm kernel 4.1.11 today.

New:

Git log
ChangeLog

Download: vmlinux-4.1.11-AMIGA_one_X1000.tar.bz2

I successfully tested the longterm kernel 4.1.11 with Debian Sid PowerPC and a Lubuntu 15.10 PowerPC in a virtual PowerMac G3 QEMU KVM machine today.

xeno74 
Posted on 27-Oct-2015 9:49:44
#75 ]
Cult Member

The new longterm kernel 4.1.12 is available.

New:

Git log
ChangeLog

Download: vmlinux-4.1.12-AMIGA_one_X1000.tar.bz2

xeno74 
Posted on 10-Nov-2015 14:46:05
#76 ]
Cult Member

I compiled the new longterm kernel 4.1.13 today.

New:

- Boot by UUID or disk label with an initrd
- Git log
- ChangeLog

Download: vmlinux-4.1.13-AMIGA_one_X1000.tar.bz2

Geri 
Posted on 10-Nov-2015 16:59:38
#77 ]
Elite Member

@xeno74

Quote:
xeno74 wrote:
- Boot by UUID or disk label with an initrd

Isn't that supported by the kernel since ages?

- A1 Linux support -

xeno74 
Posted on 11-Dec-2015 8:14:30
#78 ]
Cult Member

@Geri

Yes, you're right but the new thing is, that we have added an initrd to the kernel package. Now you have the possibility to boot Linux with a disk label or UUID via the initrd. This makes it possible to create a CFE entry for a USB pen drive for example.

@All

I released the stable longterm kernel 4.1.14 today.

New:

- New firmwares: firmware-amd-graphics (20151018-2)
- Git log
- ChangeLog

Download: vmlinux-4.1.14-AMIGA_one_X1000.tar.bz2

Note: PLEASE use this kernel if you want a stable and reliable kernel for your AmigaONE X1000. The kernels 4.4, 4.3, and 4.2 are only for experienced users who want to test some new features.

xeno74 
Posted on 15-Dec-2015 15:52:22
#79 ]
Cult Member

An update of the longterm kernel 4.1 is available.

Download: vmlinux-4.1.15-AMIGA_one_X1000.tar.bz2

New:

- Git log
- ChangeLog

xeno74 
Posted on 24-Jan-2016 16:08:33
#80 ]
Cult Member

I have released an update of the longterm kernel 4.1.

Download: vmlinux-4.1.16-AmigaONE_X1000.tar.bz2

New:

- Git log
- ChangeLog

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle