Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 114 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25,  Frank

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Frank:  2 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 mins ago
 Gunnar:  10 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  22 mins ago
 MickJT:  41 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 saimo:  2 hrs 5 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  The First $9 Computer
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
PosterThread
olegil 
Re: The First $9 Computer
Posted on 31-May-2015 5:52:04
#121 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

You're SORT of on to something there. All of these FPGA boards that recreate Amiga chipsets should have gone way beyond the originals in expandability. Even a multitude of clock ports and a multitude of cheap clock port peripherals would have made some sort of sense.

Is there anyone thinking of next-gen FPGA-based chipsets anymore?

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Profile     Report this post  
Chuckt 
Posted on 29-Jun-2015 14:10:47
#122 ]

STM32F7, An ARM Cortex-M7

"We’ve seen the ~F4 chip pump out 800×600 VGA, drive a thermal imaging camera, and put OpenCV inside a webcam. Now there’s a new, even more powerful part on the market, and the mind reels thinking what might be possible."

"Right now there a few STM32F7 parts out, both with speeds up to 216MHz, Flash between 512k and 1MB, and 320kB of RAM. Peripherals include Ethernet, USB OTG, SPDIF support, and I²S. The most advanced chip in the line includes a TFT LCD controller, and a crypto processor on-chip. All of the chips in the STM32F7 line are pin compatible with the STM32F4 line, with BGA and QFP packages available."

"As with the introduction of all of ST’s microcontrollers, they’re rolling out a new Discovery board with this launch. It features Ethernet, a bunch of audio peripherals, USB OTG, apparently an Arduino-style pin layout, and a 4.3 inch, 480×272 pixel LCD with capacitive touch. When this is available through the normal distributors, it will sell for around $50. The chips themselves are already available from some of the usual distributors, for $17 to $20 in quantity one. That’s a chunk of change for a microcontroller, but the possibilities for what this can do are really only limited by an engineer’s imagination."

http://hackaday.com/2015/06/26/new-part-day-stm32f7-an-arm-cortex-m7/

Users here could probably move up from the $9 computer to a 200 MHZ Arm computer but you should really think about making space and room for development for new tech on your website if you want the future to go forward for personal computers.

olegil 
Posted on 29-Jun-2015 14:14:26
#123 ]
Elite Member

@Chuckt

"move up" from 1GHz to 216MHz? Not much of a "move up", is it? And at a higher cost, no less.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Chuckt 
Posted on 29-Jun-2015 14:48:53
#124 ]

@olegil

There are faster Arm chips but the development costs are greater. The smaller stuff is something I can afford.

Commodore didn't start with the C-64. They started with the Pet and then the Vic-20.

You develop on the easy and cheap stuff first and then move up to the bigger stuff.

olegil 
Posted on 30-Jun-2015 10:00:12
#125 ]
Elite Member

@Chuckt

Again, this thing is significantly more expensive than "the first $9 computer" which this topic is about. And significantly less powerful.

Chuckt 
Posted on 30-Jun-2015 12:45:58
#126 ]

@olegil

Quote:

olegil wrote:
@Chuckt

Again, this thing is significantly more expensive than "the first $9 computer" which this topic is about. And significantly less powerful.

And those who can't program a microcontroller can't program either.

The Raspberry Pi is more powerful but it has less GPIO pins.
There is a learning curve with this stuff. Just because it is less powerful doesn't mean that many people here can program either.

olegil 
Posted on 30-Jun-2015 13:46:42
#127 ]
Elite Member

@Chuckt

Then why advocate the slower more expensive one?

Chuckt 
Posted on 30-Jun-2015 18:37:59
#128 ]

@olegil

The datasheets are different. Not everything is about price.
The more expensive one has crypto functions and a lot of work went into it already. They have different architectures.

Just as Commodore had more than one line, everyone else isn't set on one microcontroller or product. They have pluses and minuses.

Amiga is tied to individuals who aren't doing anything with the I.P. except strangling the Amiga's future. It is doubtful that some of the old tech can be produced again and the old tech isn't competitive.

New hardware is the way forward.

Chuckt 
Posted on 4-Jul-2015 3:18:39
#129 ]

@olegil

Glitch - 800x600 graphics on STM32F407 microcontroller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yXxhvKmVb0

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle