Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
26 crawler(s) on-line.
 103 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 ed:  6 mins ago
 matthey:  33 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 18 mins ago
 fordprefect:  4 hrs 52 mins ago
 redfox:  4 hrs 52 mins ago
 Karlos:  6 hrs 29 mins ago
 Rob:  6 hrs 30 mins ago
 RobertB:  6 hrs 56 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  MorphOS Software
      /  Morphos 3.8
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
g01df1sh 
Morphos 3.8
Posted on 21-May-2015 18:40:09
#1 ]

Hi all

Just tried Morphos on my Mackbook 15" so far im impressed built in wifi works a treat. just one thing im sure i have asked before but cant remember how do you get the dock thing to show at the bottom of the screen i have fresh install and no dock?

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

Profile     Report this post  
amigadave 
Re: Morphos 3.8
Posted on 21-May-2015 18:47:34
#2 ]

@g01df1sh

IIRC, there is no dock application included with the standard MorphOS installation, but it is included in the popular preconfigured package of software for MorphOS put together by Pampers, that you can download and install yourself. I am having a Senior moment and can't remember the name of Pamper's package for MorphOS, so you'll have to look it up. I suggest checking the links provided on the MorphZone.org site.

I have not installed MorphOS3.8 myself yet, so can't confirm what is included with it.

K-L 
Posted on 21-May-2015 18:52:30
#3 ]

@amigadave

Pampers ? LOL

Papiosaur is the right name

Pack's name is Chrysalys. You'll find all the informations here : http://www.warmup-asso.org/index.php?op=edito

itix 
Posted on 21-May-2015 18:58:16
#4 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

You can create panels from Ambient menu. Then drag'n drop applications you want there.

g01df1sh 
Posted on 21-May-2015 19:54:48
#5 ]

@itix

Thanks started to make my own panel. Looks like I might have problem with my cd/dvd drive only seems to read DVD not cd don't think its a morphos problem more like a hardware issue with the drive. Not to worry for now I have ways of getting round that.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

jPV 
Posted on 21-May-2015 20:17:38
#6 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

Quote:

amigadave wrote:
@g01df1sh

IIRC, there is no dock application included with the standard MorphOS installation

There's always (at least since 1.x times, don't know about 0.x :P) been a dock like application included in MorphOS. It's called Panels as others already said. It just hasn't been preconfigured (because that would persuade users to certain format which wouldn't the best for everybody).

Everyone can create a Panel or several Panels from the Ambient settings. It used to be in pulldown menu (Utilities?) earlier, but for the consistency it's now in Ambient settings. I can't believe how many users don't have curiosity to check the available settings and features but only insist to use systems like it's installed :) Especially for cool and configurable systems we have... :/

amigadave 
Posted on 21-May-2015 20:26:38
#7 ]

@jPV & others,

Thanks for the corrections. As I said earlier, I was having a Senior moment and not remembering things correctly. As for Panels being used as a dock, I have never tried it and I was thinking about the dock application used in the Chrysalis package from Papiosaur (not Pampers).

g01df1sh 
Posted on 21-May-2015 20:49:43
#8 ]

@amigadave

Well first impression are good for MorphOS is 3.8 WiFi works good 3d performance not sure if its software rendered or hardware but quake3 run great at 1280 x 1024. Just need to fix/replace CD drive and then I think I will making another Amiga purchase.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

Cajun_Man 
Posted on 21-May-2015 23:36:12
#9 ]

@g01df1sh

Does this version work on a iMac with a G5 PPC processor in it? Didn't see it in the list, but I remember seeing a screenshot of Morphos running on a G5 iMac that was leaked from someone at MorphOS, but never see it listed in the list on the site.

Course the picture I saw was a few years ago.

Last edited by Cajun_Man on 21-May-2015 at 11:36 PM.

g01df1sh 
Posted on 21-May-2015 23:39:02
#10 ]

@Cajun_Man

Does not look like imac is support yet.

http://www.morphos.de/hardware

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

fishy_fis 
Posted on 22-May-2015 7:17:38
#11 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

Quake3 has no software renderer.
A person would hope it runs well on an "NG" system at such a low resolution though :)
Even a Pentium2 reaches 60fps and beyond in Quake3 at 1280x1024x32 with a 15 year old gfx card (gf2 is what I tested)

g01df1sh 
Posted on 22-May-2015 9:02:52
#12 ]

@fishy_fis

It could most likely go higher but its done to the monitor / screen on the laptop.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

g01df1sh 
Posted on 22-May-2015 9:03:25
#13 ]

@g01df1sh

cant remember how do you get it to display the fps on screen while playing

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

fishy_fis 
Posted on 22-May-2015 9:39:41
#14 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

Sure, its a perfectly usable resolution anyway. The point was more that its a game from last century, the only way to make it sweat is to run it @11520x2160 res (3x3840x2160 screens, one front, 2 side/peripheral) with anti aliasing and antisotropic filtering, etc set to full and so on

Last edited by fishy_fis on 22-May-2015 at 09:41 AM.

jPV 
Posted on 22-May-2015 9:44:09
#15 ]
Cult Member

@Cajun_Man

Quote:

Cajun_Man wrote:
@g01df1sh

Does this version work on a iMac with a G5 PPC processor in it? Didn't see it in the list, but I remember seeing a screenshot of Morphos running on a G5 iMac that was leaked from someone at MorphOS, but never see it listed in the list on the site.

iMac isn't supported, but there was a quick demonstration that it could be done few years ago (rough port without full support). But it was only a teaser without any promises about the full support. MorphOS team has to consider what ports are worth the work and what's the gain, and so far they haven't seen the iMac port worthy enough to be finalized. Adding support for yet another hardware always slows down the other things and gives more headache to get tested properly. In this case it might not add the extra value enough.

Anyway, quite comprehensive list of currently supported computers with some remarks can be found here:
http://library.morph.zone/Supported_Computers

Cajun_Man 
Posted on 22-May-2015 10:54:52
#16 ]

@jPV

Quote:

jPV wrote:
@Cajun_Man

Quote:

Cajun_Man wrote:
@g01df1sh

iMac isn't supported, but there was a quick demonstration that it could be done few years ago (rough port without full support). But it was only a teaser without any promises about the full support. MorphOS team has to consider what ports are worth the work and what's the gain, and so far they haven't seen the iMac port worthy enough to be finalized. Adding support for yet another hardware always slows down the other things and gives more headache to get tested properly. In this case it might not add the extra value enough.

Anyway, quite comprehensive list of currently supported computers with some remarks can be found here:
http://library.morph.zone/Supported_Computers

Well dang, I remember seeing the screenshot, that was what prompted me to finally win a ebay auction for one cause from the pic I saw, I thought there would be a version for it that would run even smoother and faster then on the mac mini I have it on. So I have had that system for the last 4 or 5 years not doing much cause I was waiting for a great OS to put on it, and now may never get to use.

Can't use any recent Mac OS then what is on it. Guess I could play around mac os, but oh well. Wish I had known 4 or 5 years ago, it would have saved me a lot of $ not buying this iMac.

mcbone 
Posted on 22-May-2015 11:12:00
#17 ]
Cult Member

@g01df1sh

i am trying to copy it from my pc but mac will not read disk try two pc to burn to disk get one copy of morphos on e mac need up date so i can get internet working should work i be tell but it old copy of morphos

An Apple a day keep bill gates away

TRIPOS 
Posted on 22-May-2015 11:20:29
#18 ]

@fishy_fis

Quote:

fishy_fis wrote:

Even a Pentium2 reaches 60fps and beyond in Quake3 at 1280x1024x32 with a 15 year old gfx card (gf2 is what I tested)

Yeah, P2 (450 MHz) and a GeForce2 from 2000 should be able to perform about 60fps at 1280x1024, it sounds reasonable IMHO!

A "crippled" (or at least very limited, performance wise) 400MHz "G2" Efika 5200 with a Radeon 9800 pro from 2003 is able to score ~30fps in MorphOS at the much higher resolution 1920x1080, which should mean, what, 45-47fps at 1280x1024...? Not too shabby for what it is!

When it comes to laptops instead of desktops (as is the case for g01df1sh here), they generally comes with weaker "mobility" GPU's for heat and power consumption reasons. I don't know what model g01df1sh has, but:

A decade old PowerBook G4 1.67 15" (Al) / PowerBook5,6 has a Mobility Radeon 9700 and a native resolution of 1280x854, in which it scores 60.6 fps in MorphOS.

A PowerBook G4 1.67 15" (DLSD/HR - Al) / PowerBook5,8 has the same Mobility Radeon 9700 but a higher native resolution of 1440x960 (which is also a larger resolution than 1280x1024), thus it should score slightly less than this.

And then for reference, given the newly released MorphOS 3.8 with its Sam460 support:

A Sam460ex (that CPU-wise in some circumstances can perform about 1/2 compared to the decade old Mac Mini) with a Radeon X1950 scored 102.1 fps in 1280x1024 in MorphOS, with all settings set to the max. (As a reference, a Sam460 with Radeon HD7750 and OS4 only scores 29.9 fps in 1280x1024... )

I suppose there are always room for improvements in drivers etc, but I actually thinks this is quite OK!

Quote:
Sure, its a perfectly usable resolution anyway.

Laptops tends to have one native resolution which you have to use if you don't like things kind of blurry.

EDIT: Well, I didn't read the thread very detailed at first. But I honestly can't figure out any 15" Mac PPC laptop that uses 1280x1024 as native resolution. The iBooks uses 4:3 aspect ratio, but they are either 12" or 14" and none uses as high resolution as 1280x1024 AFAICT. The PowerBooks have several 15" models, but all 16:9 aspect ratio. He calls it "Mackbook" himself, but MacBook's are x86 and doesn't run MorphOS (yet! )...

So...

Quote:
The point was more that its a game from last century

Hehe, big words considering the mere 29 day margin from its release to the century shift...

Quote:
the only way to make it sweat is to run it @11520x2160 res (3x3840x2160 screens, one front, 2 side/peripheral) with anti aliasing and antisotropic filtering, etc set to full and so on

You just said 60 fps @ 1280x1024, that's surely "sweating" to me!

Last edited by TRIPOS on 22-May-2015 at 11:31 AM.

jPV 
Posted on 22-May-2015 12:30:17
#19 ]
Cult Member

@Cajun_Man

Quote:

Cajun_Man wrote:

Well dang, I remember seeing the screenshot, that was what prompted me to finally win a ebay auction for one cause from the pic I saw, I thought there would be a version for it that would run even smoother and faster then on the mac mini I have it on. So I have had that system for the last 4 or 5 years not doing much cause I was waiting for a great OS to put on it, and now may never get to use.

Can't use any recent Mac OS then what is on it. Guess I could play around mac os, but oh well. Wish I had known 4 or 5 years ago, it would have saved me a lot of $ not buying this iMac.

Well, sorry to say, but you never should rush to buy anything before there's an official announcement and you know the specs of the supported machines. There are several iMac G5 models, and how could you even guess which ones would get the support if there aren't any facts available? It's not always that whole series and their features would be immediately supported.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 23-May-2015 19:30:34
#20 ]

@jPV

Quote:

jPV wrote:

Well, sorry to say, but you never should rush to buy anything before there's an official announcement

Well, isn't that the truth, and hasn't this been emphasized by the MorphOS Team (and by proxy) a thousand and one times?

Then again, they have surprised us before, at one point they were very negative towards the "G5" architecture at all, but suddenly this changed, and they have now supported two "families" of Apple G5 PowerMacs (PowerMac 7,2 and PowerMac 7,3). Who knows, maybe more are coming, including Radeon based G5 iMac's (like PowerMac 8,2 and PowerMac 12,1)? Maybe the "Quad" PowerMac's as well (though those would require additional work by a switch of GFX cards from nVidia to Radeon by the end-user, which reduces its "sexyness" as a target worthy of porting a bit IMHO)?

I'd say, "If possible, keep it stored, just in case"!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle