Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
28 crawler(s) on-line.
 167 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 56 mins ago
 corb0:  3 hrs 22 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 23 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 56 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  Fabled Prisma sound card? other uses for the A1200 clock port?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
wawa 
Re: Fabled Prisma sound card? other uses for the A1200 clock port?
Posted on 28-May-2015 20:22:38
#61 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

one thing i wonder about you is that you always write "way" instead of "why" and things like that. i mean, im certain you have been told before that it is wrong. and it is impossible not to realize that oneself, at least after a while. since this is a pretty frequent word, certainly present in every text out there to read in english. dont get me wrong, im not trying to play spelling police or anything. on my part i can say that i do not capitalise on purpose. just wonder about your particular reason for this insistence. is there one?

Profile     Report this post  
NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 28-May-2015 22:21:03
#62 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

I guess Way is the correct spelling, if it was the English word written with Norwegian pronunciation. Anyway, Norwegians write almost Danish, we do not write words as we say words. Anyway spelling does not come natural too me, I guess that’s one thing me and Einstein has in common

I am often asked how I can write programs when I am having problems with that sort of thing, I guess having issues forces me to write more readable code, and more structured code, so I can actually understand what I write. I most defiantly do not like when people try compress all the code onto one line, while do not like to read walls of text, I do like the mental challenge of programming. The compiler will tells me if I have misspelled something. On Windows, you have IntelliSense that helps you complete what you type, not unlike T9.

Readable structured code often has less duplications, and there for is less buggy code.

Being dyslectic often caused me look for ways to simplify task, which ends up increasing productivity.

If I was rich like Jamie Oliver, I guess I hire someone to write my installation guides and user manuals.

Just as you have a hard time understanding way I miss type words, I have hard time understanding people who has problem understanding technical things. I guess we are all different. I realizing more than anyone that we are all different, this is maybe way try to be helpful when I can.

Hillbillylitre 
Posted on 28-May-2015 23:18:44
#63 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Did you get a free laptop when you went to school?

In the early nineties there was someone in my class who was dyslexic and me too wanted to be dyslexic, but me was refused a laptop

Using: One Commodore C64 - One Commodore Amiga 500 - One Commodore Amiga 1200 with BVision and Blizzard 68060 with PPC coprocessor running Amiga DOS - One Hellbillylitre Amigatwox86x64x6000x running Windows7

Britelite 
Posted on 29-May-2015 6:46:18
#64 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
you spent 10/20 years to make.

More like a few years ;)

Quote:
Why not put the talent into improving or supporting Bluetooth, printing, UTF8, WIFI, IPv6, hardware accelerated video decoding, File sharing, VoIP, or the many other things we do not have.

AmigaOS is a commercial OS, and I'm not getting paid to improve on these things. And I have no use for these things on Amiga either, as I'm not delusional enough to think the Amiga will be mainstream again. For me it's a fun hobby, and I'm happy with what's already available.

Quote:
Even updating the GCC and development tools are more productive.

Not using GCC, so I have no interest in improving it.

And to be honest, I'm not even trying to be productive. Making demos is a fun thing I do in my spare time, and if someone wants me to work on something else then they better pay me.

wawa 
Posted on 29-May-2015 8:21:52
#65 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

Being dyslectic

being dyslectic is one thing but i guess dyslectic people generally try to improve their spelling even if they fail. you on the contrary insist on your obvious mistakes. sure, i cant tell about the quality of your code, so i neither can tell if reference to einstein is justified in your case.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 29-May-2015 20:11:01
#66 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
Being dyslectic is one thing but I guess dyslectic people generally try to improve their spelling even if they fail.

We fail because we are dyslectic we are not wired to interpret words, while we can learn a word by memorizing the letters. Dyslectic people have a problem putting the symbols into words, that main difference between some one who is just poor at writing because he is not been interested in literature, and someone who has problem reading and writing because of in heritage Dyslectic DNA.

It be good at reading and writing you need to be able to quickly associate an image with a sound, as dyslectic brain does not have a direct link, no short cut between the two, the information has to travel around the brain.

Instead the a Dyslectic brain as a stronger link to image centers of the brain.

Well my point was that a disadvantage could be an advantage some times because to overcome problem you need, to be creative. Besides while dyslectic people like myself, do not have connections that links what we see to language centers of the brain. We do however have strong link to parts of the brain handling imagery, you see the same thing with blind people where parts of brains are bigger that handles sounds, its believed we are better at thinking abstract, visualizing what we think, (anyway not everyone are supper genius like Einstein. Einstein brain was different in other ways as well, his brains was able to deliver oxygen better, it might helped him stay focused for longer periods of time), most of the royal family has Dyslexia. It might have been useful to plan strategic conquest at some point in time.

Now days, written language has become so important, It's hard to now go throw life, without learning to read and write, and without help like we get here in Norway, many dyslectic probably fall between the cracks.

There are fields of work that Dyslectics have an advantage, many artists are dyslectic.

Anyway, I am happy my reading problems is not caused by poor eyesight, that be a lot worse I think. Because that effects everything you do, not just reading and writing.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-May-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-May-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-May-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-May-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-May-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-May-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-May-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-May-2015 at 08:30 PM.

Hillbillylitre 
Posted on 29-May-2015 21:35:23
#67 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Stop being a spoiled brat.

Using: One Commodore C64 - One Commodore Amiga 500 - One Commodore Amiga 1200 with BVision and Blizzard 68060 with PPC coprocessor running Amiga DOS - One Hellbillylitre Amigatwox86x64x6000x running Windows7

Hillbillylitre 
Posted on 29-May-2015 21:56:22
#68 ]

Who gives a fuck? A dyslexic works fine in most situations, no differences because everyone has their loads.

Only difference, you could use a laptop in class while we had to use pen and paper.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 29-May-2015 23:18:18
#69 ]
Elite Member

@Hillbillylitre

Quote:
Who gives a fuck? A dyslexic works fine in most situations,

Well it does work so well on written test, if they do not understand your answers. Of cause the laptop where not allowed during tests, but that costs me at least ½ to 1 grade.

Quote:
no differences because everyone has their loads.

Sure there are many people that do not fit a diagnosis there do not get help, maybe what you are trying to say. Now almost every kid in the school has a disorder and ate pills for ADD / ADHD / OCD or something else. Many of this diagnoses did not exist back then.

Quote:
Only difference, you could use a laptop in class while we had to use pen and paper.

Do you envy people to use wheelchairs? Does it not look fun to drive up and down the hallway? I bet you cut your legs off to get a wheelchair.

For Dyslectics a spellchecker is a tool that makes what your write understandable. I have not seen a spellchecker for a pen. If you do not underhand what you wrote down, you might as well not take notes.

Way do you think the governments spend so much money, making school buildings accessible to everyone?

What is the cost of some not getting an education?
Where does people who does not have education end up?
And what does that cost?

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-May-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-May-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-May-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-May-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-May-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-May-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-May-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-May-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-May-2015 at 11:18 PM.

kolla 
Posted on 30-May-2015 6:29:04
#70 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Your spelling here is much worse than all dyslectics I know, it is really as if you are doing it on purpose.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 30-May-2015 7:36:41
#71 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

I'm sure this videos help you understand dyslexia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIIbeqMGB3o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZirlcaDrdU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVK69E_T-Wo

A dyslectic often notice is own writing errors, and missing words, after having written the text, a dyslectic, like myself often read the text 2 or 3 times, to find spelling errors, and missing words, the brains is good at filling in what is missing, this not helpful when you're looking for some that is wrong.

There exists special tools for dyslectics. Some might use this.
http://bdatech.org/what-technology/spell-checkers/

But anyway the range of problems with in the category of dyslexia, some people have more problems than others.

I find google translate useful, as write some in Norwegian, and translate to English, read the text to see if makes sense, words that are misspelled often pop up that way.

Quote:
it is really as if you are doing it on purpose.

I understand if you have OCD that it's hard to not accept things are not perfect, I can assure you I do my best.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-May-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-May-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-May-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-May-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-May-2015 at 07:46 AM.

pavlor 
Posted on 30-May-2015 8:44:13
#72 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Quote:
Your spelling here is much worse than all dyslectics I know, it is really as if you are doing it on purpose.

It seems your knowledge is limited in this field. My brother´s former roommate is dyslectic and he is not able to write single word correctly. Interesting enough, his great software developer skills aren´t affected by this condition.

However, this discussion is rather OT in this thread...

amigadave 
Posted on 30-May-2015 8:47:45
#73 ]

@pavlor

+1

Hillbillylitre 
Posted on 30-May-2015 9:02:25
#74 ]

@pavlor

I have lots of red lines under the text too but I'm not dyslectic, it's just lack of focus and concentration on what I'm doing and it can be improved if I bother to give more attention to what I'm doing. And don't come here with the ADHD bullshit just to try selling the ritalin crap to me.

pavlor 
Posted on 30-May-2015 9:12:37
#75 ]
Elite Member

@Hillbillylitre

Quote:
I have lots of red lines under the text too but I'm not dyslectic, it's just lack of focus and concentration

In your case... that may be true.

Others aren´t that lucky.

Hypex 
Posted on 9-Jun-2015 9:09:31
#76 ]
Elite Member

@227

Missed this:

Quote:
i just mean like say.. some kind of executable amiga file could just be loaded into an editor as raw data and you'd hear how it sounds

Yes I can understand that. I recently made this weird effect accidently. So I was playing around with a surround sound decoder I wrote which really just extracted and isolated the centre panned audio by subtracting the left channel from the right. Then I tried to use it to remove that mono audio from the stereo source. I got lots of funny results but the most bizarre was when I managed to convert the sample into a modem! Seriously it sounded like a Commodore game cassette!

Last edited by Hypex on 09-Jun-2015 at 03:28 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 9-Jun-2015 9:19:20
#77 ]
Elite Member

@Hillbillylitre

Quote:
And before these internet times I recorded short chords and loops on a old cassette deck using the Tracker on my Amiga 500 and sampled them back with an 8 bit sampler using Audiomaster

That's almost exactly what I did! I recorded myself strumming my steel acoustic guitar on tape. I then sampled it in but I only had mono sampler and some software I got with a DirOpus disk.. So had to do each track separately. I then edited the stereo sample so the channels were as synchronised as I could get them. They were slightly out of phase and it made this cool whooshing effect so I didn't mind. I stuck it against a drum beat I got off a CD, and put it slightly off beat so it was almost a jungle techno rhythm. And made a little song with it. IIRC I never released it. Did you release any of your stuff?

Hypex 
Posted on 9-Jun-2015 9:27:11
#78 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
How hard can it be to support AHI and Cybergraphics or Picasso96 , this things existed back in 1993.

Actually there is no need. The Amiga graphics API is perfectly fine for this type of thing. You can even use datatypes to load in images if you want the OS to dither it down to what the machine supports. Audio OTOH is a different matter. The audio.device was a pain to use but still useable.

It's perfectly possible to write a game which uses the OS to display graphics and play sounds. And it's upwards compatible. A lot of games, especially PD ones, didn't need to kill the OS and could have easily ran on an Intuition screen. Some did.

Posted on 9-Jun-2015 12:00:42
#79 ]

@Hypex

very cool :) I still have my DSS-8 sampler which is how i'm able to use my second A1200 as an effects processor. Soundprobe is the best! It has a the most interesting sounds

I was never a big fan of making mods mostly because of the step sequencing.. just too tedious for me, but i made a few. This was probably the best one I ever did in terms of complexity.. most of the ones i did were ambient / noise experiments which I did like, but they relied on outboard effects to really sound interesting so the mods themselves were not that great to listen too.

Old vs. New https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6999242/Misc/Old%20Vs.%20New.mp3

I'm really loving bars and pipes so far.. the internal sample player it has is superior to the Tiger Cub one.. pitch bend!

the final technical challenge will be figuring out SMPTE slaving with BnP and my 4 track cassette recorder..

I'm upgrading a few pieces and getting a 2nd 20 space rack for gear so i can wire up everything and put it away to really start getting into some serious amiga music.

Rob 
Posted on 9-Jun-2015 14:54:38
#80 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:

@227

Missed this:

i just mean like say.. some kind of executable amiga file could just be loaded into an editor as raw data and you'd hear how it sounds

There was an article in an issue of CU Amiga about loading samples into image processors as raw data and then using image effects on audio data to get some interesting results.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle