Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 112 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  5 mins ago
 Bruce72:  7 mins ago
 Rob:  38 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  54 mins ago
 t0lkien:  59 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 Troels:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 49 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  MultiViewer User Feedback Thread
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
broadblues 
Re: MultiViewer User Feedback Thread
Posted on 15-Jun-2015 10:59:23
#41 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@zzd10h

Quote:

"Enable directory scanning in the tooltypes and drop a file on the dock and MultiViewer will display that file and scan the direcory it's in."

Yes, drawer scanning works but I asked if it's possible to drag a drawer in Multiview and to scan the drawer automatically ?

If MultiViewer is runing and you dag and drop a drawer on the file lister it should be scanned and added to the list, like wise if you drop on it's appicon when iconified.

Quote:

Mail sent with the crashlog and a PDF that crashs Datatype.library.

Thanks I haven't tried to reproduce with your example PDF yet, but I can see from the stack trace that the DTST_MEMORY 'filehandle' has crashed. I need to do more invetigation, but I'm not sure that this is MultiViewers fault.

Profile     Report this post  
broadblues 
Posted on 15-Jun-2015 11:53:05
#42 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@broadblues

Quote:

Thanks I haven't tried to reproduce with your example PDF yet, but I can see from the stack trace that the DTST_MEMORY 'filehandle' has crashed. I need to do more invetigation, but I'm not sure that this is MultiViewers fault.

Can't reproduce this with your sample on my SAM, I'll test on the x1k later tonight.

Severin 
Posted on 15-Jun-2015 13:05:45
#43 ]
Elite Member

@virgolamobile

1. MultiViewer is a file viewer not a file manager. I would be totally against this type of functionality.

2. I can see the point of that, iirc i mentioned it during testing but more buttons means a bigger minimum window width. before I nagged for dynamic buttons the window was a lot bigger unless you put them vertically at the side of the window (F8 to cycle top, bottom, left, right).

3. ewwwwwwww!!!!

4. You can use tabs for anything, just choose new tab in the project menu or use the NewTab.rexx script called from dopus or context menus.

5. See NewTab.rexx

6. use the menu... Project / Save image as / (only available when an image is loaded and in the current tab). Although windows bitmap should be at the bottom of the list as though technically the list is in alphabetical extension order the menu entry does begin with a 'w' and is likely to be used very little.

Quote:
At the moment Multiviewer is a bit slower than Multiview on my Sam460 Multiviewer: it tends to take 1 to 2 sec to open for example a guide file, meanwhile multiview open it up instantaneously. Not that much, but I don't like to wait ;)

Add the increased functionality and graphics to multiview and it would be just as slow to start as multiviewer. although here loading a 1mb guide file in a new instance of multiview takes half a second, using the newtab script it's almost instant. If your sys: partition is FFS or highly fragmented it would account for the slow speed.

Quote:
In my view I would replace Multiview with Multiviewer with this loss of performance only if I am able to do a bit more than the present Multiviewer implementation (e.g. DTconvert like feature, one instance only instead of multiple windows).

lol, for me there is no performance loss and what you want added is already there. have fun experimenting.

Last edited by Severin on 15-Jun-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

Xenic 
Posted on 15-Jun-2015 15:48:28
#44 ]

@virgolamobile
Quote:
no way to physically delete or rename a file in the list,

There is a tool at the bottom of the lister to remove files from the list. It's the page image with a minus ( - ) sign. The program is a viewer, not a file manager or multi-purpose utility.

Quote:
the text zooming function is "hidden" in the menus, could it be possible to implement it as a button in the toolbar?

It's not hidden; it's in the menus. My personal preference is to have most functions in menus instead of cluttering the window with a bunch of tiny images that don't necessarily indicate what the gadget function is. If the toolbar gadgets were text instead of images, I'd know instantly what they do.

Xenic 
Posted on 15-Jun-2015 16:00:49
#45 ]

@broadblues
Quote:
Here is as good as anywhere, or email me. There's a debug build in the archive though it's not installed by default.

I still haven't figured out what combination of events causes freezes but I did switch to the debug version and captured a Grim Reaper Log for iconifying MultiViewer while a slideshow is playing. I don't want to fill this topic with a log so I'll email it to you at the address in your profile.

zzd10h 
Posted on 15-Jun-2015 16:47:17
#46 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@broadblues

OK, drop a drawer on Multiviewer in a dock is not implemented.

When iconified, I tried to drop a drawer in the icon => DSI in Multiviewer.

It's reproductible, if you want the crashlog.

broadblues 
Posted on 15-Jun-2015 17:46:31
#47 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@zzd10h

No thanks fixed that (called RefresgGLisdt() with a NULL window pointer as a result of a recent fix for something else).

So frustrating when a bug fix for one thing breaks another!

Anyone one want write an automated regression testing harness for AmigaOS apps with GUIS?

@Xenic

Thanks for the stacktrace by email, identified the issue, might take alitle more thought to fix that one.

broadblues 
Posted on 15-Jun-2015 17:49:36
#48 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@zzd10h

Quote:

OK, drop a drawer on Multiviewer in a dock is not implemented.

The idea of an AppDocky as well as an AppIcon hadn't occured to me. I rarely use appdockies so I suppose that's why I didn't think of it.

broadblues 
Posted on 15-Jun-2015 18:12:17
#49 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@virgolamobile

Quote:

@broadblues

Compliments for this useful piece of software Andy!
I bought it instantaneously!

Thank you!

Quote:

Here some observations, take it constructively:

You'll have to try abit harder than the below to window me up

Quote:

1) no way to physically delete or rename a file in the list, please implement it in the toolbar and/or by pressing the "delete" key

As a couple of other have pointed out philosophically speaking MultiViewer if a file viewer not a file manager, so I haven't added that sort of function.

However it has an extensive ARexx interface, supporting al of the original MultiView command set and a many more of it's own, so adding that functionality from a script would be very easy.

Don;t have time just at the moment, but if youwant I can posted an example script.

Quote:

2) the text zooming function is "hidden" in the menus, could it be possible to implement it as a button in the toolbar?

It's not really 'hidden' it's provided by a script, it made a good example script. You can also set the font size etc via the tooltypes, and / or save to the toolstypes by saving the settings once you have zoomed to your prefrered font size.

Quote:

3) could it possible to implement the zooming text function using the CTRL+wheel? (I know, it is a Windows like function, but that is useful!)

Unfortunatly once the text.datatype has been laid out you can no longer change the font, requiring a reload of the object (the above mentioned scripts do this via rexx) this causes the object being viewed to "reset" (text would go back to top , guides to first page etc etc) so a zoom like this would be very disappointing.

Quote:

4) to me it is not totally clear the usage of tabs, is it only used with the clipboard or am I missing something?

No you can use tabs any way you want.

1. Open a new tab via the Project->NewTab menu item (shortcut RAMIGA-T (N was already used for searching))

2. Open a new tab by dropping a file on the tabbed area or just drop it on the list area to display in the same tab as you are using.

3. Shift Click a file in the filelist to display in a new tab.

4. Via rexx scripts using DISPLAYFILE NEWTAB

see file:///MultiViewer:docs/arexx/DisplayFile.html

Quote:

5) if Multiviewer is already open, I would appreciate that *any* other file I open, will open up in the very same window adding the file clicked file to the existing filelist, instead of firing up another Multiviewer instance

You can use the NewTab.rexx example script for this, it can be used as a default tool, and works very well for workbench there is an issue that's stops it working with wbrun / OpenWorkbenchObject() so can't be used with filer etc thought I belive it works with DOPus when set as a general filetype action (forget how to do that, not used DOpus for ages)

Alternatively, try establishing the habbit of draging a file onto the MVer window to open a new tab and double clicking for a new window.

A small project I have planned is avery simple launcher tool that will be usable as a default tool to get arround the script limitations. No idea when I'll have time for it.

Quote:

6) when I save a file could it be possible to save to a new format? e.g. source is a PNG file but I want to save it as a JPG file (a bit like the tool DTconvert by Fredrik Wikstrom on OS4Depot)

Assuming you are running under Final edition see the Save As menu it offers a range of supported formats when object is a Picture.

Quote:

At the moment Multiviewer is a bit slower than Multiview on my Sam460 Multiviewer: it tends to take 1 to 2 sec to open for example a guide file, meanwhile multiview open it up instantaneously. Not that much, but I don't like to wait ;)

Takes a little while to set up the GUI, but once open is faster as the guide file is cached in memeory by default.

Quote:

In my view I would replace Multiview with Multiviewer with this loss of performance only if I am able to do a bit more than the present Multiviewer implementation (e.g. DTconvert like feature, one instance only instead of multiple windows).

Anyway, I really enjoy Multiviewer!

Thanks.

dan.hutch 
Posted on 15-Jun-2015 18:17:55
#50 ]
Cult Member

@broadblues

I was using MultiViewer to browse a drawer with mixed files, as switching files a GrimReaper happened. Have sent you the crash log by email, hope it's useful.

Thanks.

broadblues 
Posted on 15-Jun-2015 18:36:15
#51 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@salass00
Quote:

I don't have much experience with ARexx but one possible solution that I can think of would be to have MultiViewer export to the script a function that returns the path of the program directory (it could be called GETPROGRAMDIR() f.e.).

GetProgramInfo provides that
file:///MultiViewer:docs/arexx/GetProgramInfo.html

However the 'problem' isn't do with the script, but the way arexx launches the script, relative paths get lauched relative to the current directory which may or may not be PROGDIR: when run from workbench or shell, when passing something like PROGDIR:Rexx/somescript.rexx to arexx PROGDIR: get interpreted as arexx's progdir (which is sys:system IIRC or it might be C: ).

An assign is just the easiest way to mange it all, it means all the datat is relocatable, and I don't see the reason for 'recent' objections to the usage of assigns from some people.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 15-Jun-2015 18:47:20
#52 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:
I believe NetSurf has had then for a while actually.

The significance of MultiViewer is that it uses menuclass.

Yes, NetSurf has image menus - only favicons in the hotlist menu, though, not AISS icons in the rest of them. I was intending to add this but due to having to do manual layouting along with other bugs in Update 6, I hadn't quite got round to it. I think the menu shortcuts might be a PITA (edit: actually looks like GadTools handles these fine now, so might be easier to do than I thought), but predictably no sign of the new SDK yet so no way to use menuclass instead.

Quote:
The idea of an AppDocky as well as an AppIcon hadn't occured to me. I rarely use appdockies so I suppose that's why I didn't think of it.

I don't think he meant an AppDocky, just the ability to drag a file over the top of the Multiviewer icon in the dock to load it. I thought there was a way to configure items in the dock to launch files in Workbench-compatible mode rather than CLI mode, but unless it's the "run single instance for all dropped icons" option I can't see it.

Last edited by Chris_Y on 15-Jun-2015 at 06:51 PM.

broadblues 
Posted on 15-Jun-2015 19:54:06
#53 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@dan.hutch

Quote:

I was using MultiViewer to browse a drawer with mixed files, as switching files a GrimReaper happened. Have sent you the crash log by email, hope it's useful.

Thanks.

Thanks for that, good job you mentioned it here too as it ended up in my Spam folder!

THis is another case of the DTST_MEMORY filehandle crashing.

Epsilon had this issue on his SAM 460 with Final edition and a number of different datatypes.

The simple work arround, as mentioned in his blog, is to enable the NOCACHING tooltype. This switches to the more conventional DTST_FILE, in this mode the data is not cached and so performance is slightly slower (though no slower than MultiView) and the file is locked by the datatypes system, meaning that when you use the edit option you have to save to a new file.

Apart from a couple of instances with PDFs this issue seems to be restricted to SAM 460s running Final Edition at the moment.

So to fix:

Open the information window for the MUltiuViewer main icon:

Look for (NOCACHING)

Remove the brackets so that is looks like

NOCACHING

save icon.

Last edited by broadblues on 15-Jun-2015 at 07:54 PM.

broadblues 
Posted on 15-Jun-2015 19:56:25
#54 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@broadblues

Quote:

@Xenic

Thanks for the stacktrace by email, identified the issue, might take alitle more thought to fix that one.

Now fixed, thanks for the stack trace.

virgolamobile 
Posted on 15-Jun-2015 20:44:18
#55 ]

@broadblues

Thank you for answering.
Here some reply
1) I know, I know, Multiviewer is not a filemanager, but well, a rename and a delete button are not the end of the world, and would greatly enhance the everyday experience, at least to me. Please, don't be so purist...
2) OK, altered the tooltype
3) What a nightmare! I see here unreasonable architectural limit of AmigaOS...
4 and 5) OK, got it
6) Would it be possible to have the same behavior when I click on the "Save as" button in the toolbar, I mean can I be asked in which image format I would like to save the image?

Severin 
Posted on 15-Jun-2015 21:07:50
#56 ]
Elite Member

@virgolamobile

Quote:

6) Would it be possible to have the same behavior when I click on the "Save as" button in the toolbar, I mean can I be asked in which image format I would like to save the image?

That would be incredibly annoying. what would be good is if it allowed you to just change the extension in the requester and automagically used that format, then the only time you would have to deal with 'yet another requester' is if the save fails due to trying to save a guide file as a jpg

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

salass00 
Posted on 15-Jun-2015 21:08:28
#57 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:

Obviously it doesn't since as you say it returns the PROGDIR: path of the script rather than the program calling it.

What I was suggesting if it wasn't clear enough was to make MultiViewer store the PROGDIR: lock somewhere like in a global variable or data structure so that it can be used by your GETPROGRAMDIR() function implementation to return the absolute path to MultiViewer's PROGDIR: rather than this script PROGDIR: crap.

Quote:

However the 'problem' isn't do with the script, but the way arexx launches the script, relative paths get lauched relative to the current directory which may or may not be PROGDIR: when run from workbench or shell, when passing something like PROGDIR:Rexx/somescript.rexx to arexx PROGDIR: get interpreted as arexx's progdir (which is sys:system IIRC or it might be C: ).

Last edited by salass00 on 15-Jun-2015 at 09:11 PM.

kolla 
Posted on 15-Jun-2015 21:36:24
#58 ]
Elite Member

@salass00

Quote:

salass00 wrote:
@broadblues

Quote:

Obviously it doesn't since as you say it returns the PROGDIR: path of the script rather than the program calling it.

Not what he is saying. Rexx scripts are always launched with the arexx interpreter, RX, which typically is located in SYS:System, but may also be located abywhere in your path, and whatever directory RX is located will end up as PROGDIR: for any rexx script. Got it?

An assign MultiViewer: is just fine, and best would be if MultiViewer itself creates this assign on launch (and optionally removes it again on quit).

Last edited by kolla on 15-Jun-2015 at 09:37 PM.

kolla 
Posted on 15-Jun-2015 21:41:01
#59 ]
Elite Member

To anyone saying "this is not a filemanager, so no rename or delete!" - you are aware that there is both rename and delete in the menus of any ASL filerequester, right? :)

zzd10h 
Posted on 15-Jun-2015 21:44:18
#60 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@broadblues

for info, "NOCACHING" tooltype solved my pdf problem.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle