Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 82 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  3 mins ago
 Karlos:  6 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  6 mins ago
 OlafS25:  12 mins ago
 pixie:  25 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 Luc:  3 hrs 44 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  AROS Software
      /  FriendOS?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Raffaele 
Re: FriendOS?
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 16:12:49
#21 ]

@hogne

Quote:

hogne wrote:
@Raffaele

A screenshot for you :)

http://pasteboard.co/1kQwL5V8.png

Image not found...

Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 16:17:25
#22 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Quote:
Image not found...

Works for me...

broadblues 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 16:19:53
#23 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Raffaele

It doesn't work on OWB but does in chrome on linux, show some javascript creating a 'div' displayed in sepearate window, as such I wonder what on earth it's suposed to be demonstrating....

Last edited by broadblues on 19-Jun-2015 at 04:20 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 17:11:26
#24 ]

@hogne

Quote:

hogne wrote:
@amigang

Hello! Friend Software Labs is a Norwegian company founded last year. We're developing a cloud OS and "meta kernel" - a type of server application that does the processing of the OS, and connects to various devices on the network.

Our desktop environment is modeled on the Amiga Workbench, but we're also implementing themes where the behavior of the desktop is more like Mac OS X, or Windows. You will find these screenshots when our site launches soon (perhaps tomorrow, actually).

From your description it seems Linux Distro with Amiga-like directory naming, Webkit based GUI with engine of X-Org (or some less machine stressing GUI handler) mimicking easy Amiga Workbench icon system like AROS Wanderer (to let GUI even more lightweight) but cloning either Mac OS or Windows desktops (to let users feeling confortable depending on the OS they came from) and something Java-like for piloting remote devices (all depending on your cloud service rental) that could be easily mounted/dismounted with a Linux +Amiga-Assign way so devices will appear and disappear in the cloud without necessity of rebooting and enlisted and accessed just in the same way DirectoryOpus access and operate remote ftps (mine is just an example).

Quote:

We're present at Amiga30 in Amsterdam and in California, where we are going to show and tell. We're also launching a Kickstarter campaign just before the Amiga30 event in Amsterdam.

somehow I am curious to know why Orange people refused my request to let Open PPC Laptop developers to present publicly their project claiming "it is totally unrelated with Amiga" and let you present your Operating System that (to be honest) about Amiga has only some little smell of it.

Quote:

FriendUP, as our OS is called, is not like AmigaOS when talking about the legacy, the hardware, native machine code etc. But it achieves an AmigaOS like desktop (configurable of course), which lets you build web applications and server applications with technologies that borrow a lot from Amiga.

I see nothing of Amiga in a configurable desktop as long as all modern Operating System sports configurable desktops GUIs.

If you are trying to made some Amiga users abandon the platform and migrate to your system with the illusion of a new Amithlon or better with the illusion of a new ARIX or AnubisOS in 2015, you are knocking to the wrong door, my dear pal...

Quote:

Examples of Amiga like features:

Our shell is very similar to the AmigaOS shell, aiming for KingCON type functionality.

As long as KingCon: is based on Unix/Linux ZShell, then congratulations you made ZShell with Amiga naming convention system. Not quite a innovative feature.

Perhaps is it Case Sensitive? If answer is "yes" please don't offend anymore our intelligence with GNU-Linux-Shell who tries to be a dragqueen of AmigaDOS.

Quote:
It is available on the desktop as well as through SSH at the server level. We have a familiar DOS / filesystem behaviour. Our default partitions are; "System:", for the OS tools, utilities, preferences etc, "Home:" for your personal files - and then you have a mountlist application where you can add websites as disks, databases, sshfs - in FriendUP - everything is abstracted as a "partition".

Everything is a partition? Just the same in Unix/Linux everything is a file?

OH MY GOD! It's LinuxZilla!!!

You changed original Gnu/Unix/Linux behaviour from everything is a "file" to everything is a "partition" so you can make "Assigns" like in Amigaland but you don't changed the bad idea at the base of it as in Linux.
Filesystems must either use partitions and handle files, and devices should be accessed as devices, even if they use semicolon ":" in order to be accessed (assigns must remain only an additional feature for redirecting output or avoid installing software, not for adding remote devices that must be kept alien to the main system and accessed only by drivers - and mainly never assigned abruptly - for a matter of security of the OS. IMHO only directly connected devices must be trusted and added to the system. Anything that lays over the net must not be trusted and put behind a firewall).
Assigns are an optional for handling devices as partitions only if requested by user. This is why AmigaOS remains the best in my opinion.

Quote:

You use the same commands as on AmigaOS - status, break, copy, makedir etc. This furthers some aspects of Amiga heritage - something I'm personally proud of.

A bit of my personal background. I used amigas as my main setup from 1989-2001. I was on the AROS team for a while, doing some initial work on Wanderer, and I developed Lunapaint.

Not to offend you but I hope you made better effort in modding ZShell and to make X-Org GUI handle mousepointer and icons like in AROS Wanderer than the effort you profused in LunaPaint developing... The paint software with the most inefficient draw routines I ever seen in any paint program on any platform ever (perhaps did you changed its routines when you made it commercial?)

Quote:

The most important thing to note, here, is that we're not promoting our cloud OS as an Amiga OS. Not at all. But we are Amiga related, in that we're heavily influenced by the Amiga structures and desktop solutions - so in that sense, we're continuing the Amiga culture in our project.

Perhaps, despite your friendly snake-like words it just seems to me that you are trying to attract Amiga users to a new AmigaClone facepainted Linux just as people at CommodoreUSA attempted to...

Quote:

Anyhow, fire away questions. I will respond to the best of my ability. And please try to keep it friendly? :)

Nope... No Mercy!

IMHO Yours it is just the latest (in order of time) pitiful attempt to show false gold in the eyes of Amiga users to weak the remaining userbase.
Sorry if I don't bet a cent on your project and I show myself hostile rather than friendly.

Last edited by Raffaele on 19-Jun-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 19-Jun-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 19-Jun-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 19-Jun-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 19-Jun-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 19-Jun-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 19-Jun-2015 at 05:19 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 17:13:10
#25 ]

@pavlor

I am on an errand and I am using my smartphone, and picture does not show!

pavlor 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 17:25:18
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Direct link

What a warm welcome to our new guest.

Last edited by pavlor on 19-Jun-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Last edited by pavlor on 19-Jun-2015 at 05:25 PM.

number6 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 17:29:11
#27 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

direct link, which you can't use with IB, Aweb, RA-OWB etc. because of broken AMISSL V3.

This should work

pavlor 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 17:32:12
#28 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:
direct link, which you can't use with IB, Aweb, RA-OWB etc. because of broken AMISSL V3.

Well, of course, I use IE. I hope it works at least for smartphone.

Edit: My link works in Odyssey and NetSurf.

Last edited by pavlor on 19-Jun-2015 at 05:36 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 17:51:05
#29 ]

@pavlor

Your link does not work on Samsung GSII Android running Opera Mobile...

The link of NumberSix works! Good!

Last edited by Raffaele on 19-Jun-2015 at 05:52 PM.

kolla 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 18:08:25
#30 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Wow, you got something stuck up there? What a totally uncalled for rage! Also, I want to point out that ZShell is a CLI for Amiga, written in 68k assembler. Zsh is probably what you think of.
http://aminet.net/package/util/shell/ZShell.src
http://www.zsh.org

@phoenixconsole

Care to explain how this in any way, shape or form is resembling your projects? I fail to see any similarities, and I think Raffaele should be pissed off at you for running something Amiga like on top of Linux!! To be honest I don't care much for your projects, many of them seem mostly to be about shoehorning AROS onto everything for no good reason.

@Hogne

Interesting concept, reminds me of Rebol and old stuff lIke Oberon, only using webkit. I am traveling a lot, might be interested in trying it out. Will it work with Chrome on iPad? Oh, and KingCON is not a shell, just a console handler (terminal emulator if you like), the standars Amiga CLI and AmigaDOS frontend is Amiga shell.

Last edited by kolla on 19-Jun-2015 at 06:10 PM.

number6 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 18:12:08
#31 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Quote:
Wow, you got something stuck up there?

It's an inverse ratio.

When linux and Amiga were mentioned in the same sentence before, CUSA got away with it for a week or so, R.J. Dohnert for only a day or two. Now it's down to hours...or less. Heh.

saimon69 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 18:16:56
#32 ]

@hogne

Quote:
A bit of my personal background. I used amigas as my main setup from 1989-2001. I was on the AROS team for a while, doing some initial work on Wanderer, and I developed Lunapaint. I still follow all the Amiga projects, (I think I have an old account here, lost my password and email :)), and hope that our project will give Amiga developers and users a new arena to play with, online, while they are away from their real Amiga computers and platforms.

m0ns00n is that you?

saimon69 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 18:22:38
#33 ]

@kolla

Quote:

Care to explain how this in any way, shape or form is resembling your projects? I fail to see any similarities, and I think Raffaele should be pissed off at you for running something Amiga like on top of Linux!! To be honest I don't care much for your projects, many of them seem mostly to be about shoehorning AROS onto everything for no good reason

if using also real world tools and having memory protection and wider devices support is a no good reason... and the fact that something lighter like ARIX is still not available yet maybe...

Last edited by saimon69 on 19-Jun-2015 at 06:22 PM.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 18:26:11
#34 ]

@kolla
Maybe I got it wrong but my projects include:

A command called qx which runs local application on a cloud provided vcpu
Also you can access a whole vm all The Time.

So Local Tasks are executed by a Server frontend instead of your local computer.

Did i got this Meta thing wrong? Reads like the same thing.

So aeros will execute native arm/i386 apps plus cloud apps and offers a vcpu to let execute demanfing tasks (from locally installed apps) in the cloud.

So it fits perfectly. Correct me if i am wrong.

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 19-Jun-2015 at 06:29 PM.

kolla 
Posted on 20-Jun-2015 6:15:32
#35 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

Does your solution offer a distributed meta operating system that runs across a mesh of different host systems using web technologies? Being able to run local code and data remotely is hardly news, more like what distributed operating systems have been doing for ages.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 20-Jun-2015 6:43:12
#36 ]

@kolla
A mesh bla bla..... Is for me the same as sharing processing power between all connected users.
Where is the difference technically? Except you are using different words to describe the same processes running under the hood?

I don't get the difference.

Now run my services through this:
http://www.taws.ch/WB.html

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 20-Jun-2015 at 06:50 AM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 20-Jun-2015 at 06:48 AM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 20-Jun-2015 at 06:47 AM.

agami 
Posted on 20-Jun-2015 6:46:58
#37 ]

@pavlor

Quote:
What a warm welcome to our new guest.

Some of us tend to get a bit snippy when someone uses terms like Amiga-like, or Amiga-inspired, and then we look at the solution and see very little Amiga about it.

Is the recent Team 17 Alien Breed Trilogy released on Windows/Steam and PS3 also Amiga-inspired?

What the people at FriendUP are doing is somewhat neat, and I wish them every success. No doubt most of us Amigans who'd be working on a CloudOS would try and get some Amiga OS conventions in there, but that does not make it very inspired.

But I get it. They need funding to bring this to fruition so they're shaking every proverbial tree possible. Maybe I too should think of ways my upcoming Kickstarter project dylz.com is Amiga-inspired.

OlafS25 
Posted on 20-Jun-2015 9:21:26
#38 ]
Elite Member

@agami

+1

everything is somehow amiga inspired propably

it seems it is about winning interested people for donating to his kickstarter

OlafS25 
Posted on 20-Jun-2015 9:23:41
#39 ]
Elite Member

@hogne

ok there are some concepts that are amiga inspired

but what do you really have to offer for the community except that you want money?

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 20-Jun-2015 9:26:01
#40 ]

@OlafS25
: )
Ehh you mix him up with me.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle