Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 113 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 fordprefect:  26 mins ago
 matthey:  27 mins ago
 redfox:  27 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 41 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 42 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  AROS Software
      /  FriendOS?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
amigang 
FriendOS?
Posted on 18-Jun-2015 10:33:43
#1 ]
Elite Member

Any one know much about FriendOS? they are sponsoring the Amiga30th in USA and on there site list Aros as one of the hosted platforms, is this what became of Arix? And as well should all know, Amiga means Female Friend in Spanish.

http://friendos.com/

Last edited by amigang on 18-Jun-2015 at 10:37 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Raffaele 
Re: FriendOS?
Posted on 18-Jun-2015 11:36:35
#2 ]

@amigang

When I see written (or I hear pronunced) the obnoxious words "Internet of things" my hands run to mouth in order to farting people who dare suggesting this blasphemy, only good for cheater information technology businessmen and stupid people who believe it.

This says it all of my opinion about this Supposed-To-Be Operating System and the fact it center its core business on "Internet of Things".

Last edited by Raffaele on 18-Jun-2015 at 11:38 AM.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 18-Jun-2015 12:38:09
#3 ]

@Raffaele

interesting, the same what i am aiming for with AEROS and Quanta (Working title)..
Problem.. I am using some patents under license and I am 100% sure nobody else does.. damn.. earning monesy withouht producing anything is cool ; )

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 18-Jun-2015 at 12:38 PM.

KimmoK 
Posted on 18-Jun-2015 14:03:12
#4 ]
Elite Member

It's called MetaOS, I think.

There is none of the Amiga logos on their universe it seems, but Haiku and QNX are there etc...

"Kernel for Friendcore" runs the show?

I wonder if there really is some new kernel running under Linux/Windows etc...??
MetaOS could be something that heavily uses HW assisted virtualization to control the show...

It could be more interesting than what Amino guys tried to do with AmigaDE & Anywhere.

((meta morphosis ... Friend UP meta OS ... Let's make computing fun and educational again. ... I get funny feeling...))

Last edited by KimmoK on 18-Jun-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 18-Jun-2015 at 02:07 PM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Rob 
Posted on 18-Jun-2015 14:47:55
#5 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

Just got a PM regarding this. Expect more info tomorrow. I'm told that it will be demoed at amiga30 Amsterdam next weekend.

Last edited by Rob on 18-Jun-2015 at 02:48 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 18-Jun-2015 18:12:43
#6 ]

@Rob

Quote:

Rob wrote:
@amigang

Just got a PM regarding this. Expect more info tomorrow. I'm told that it will be demoed at amiga30 Amsterdam next weekend.

If your informations are correct, then it is amusing Amsterdam Amiga friends are interested in this useless obscure Operating System enough to give it space in their celebrations days.

I asked them two or three weeks ago if they want to show in public the project of PowerPC Open Laptop (that could be a viable new hardware for all Amiga camps) and they answered they are not interested.

Very curious.

Last edited by Raffaele on 18-Jun-2015 at 06:15 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 18-Jun-2015 18:26:07
#7 ]

@phoenixkonsole

If you are aiming at Internet of Things hoax then change core business for AEROS.

I was tweeting on twitter with firms that are over-promoting IOT hoax.

I made various examples.

Consider IOT fridge: it connects to internet to signal what dairy products must be purchased... But if IOT circuit brokes, people continues using it as a common fridge disconnected to web for months, or even entire fridge lifetime depending how lazy owners are.

Or perhaps IOT shoes are sure cool, count steps, show kilometers and miles, have GPS integrated, but if their IOT sensors will broke, the majority of people will continue using it as quite normal shoes until their outersoles were consumed.

Vaste majority of people buy shoes jus for their walking, not for telling friends on Facebook how much long their errand was in London, Tokyo or New York...

Except very few occasions that Internet of Things is really useful (medical and health fir example), all hype surrounding IOT is nothing than a big bubble.

Last edited by Raffaele on 18-Jun-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 18-Jun-2015 at 06:27 PM.

m0lebrain 
Posted on 18-Jun-2015 18:27:29
#8 ]

@Raffaele

I'm with Raffaele in regard to this smelling farty. I'm not sure how this can be touted as anything of importance. Looks to me like just another unnecessary interface/kernel...or something I would see on Amiga.com

Last edited by m0lebrain on 18-Jun-2015 at 06:27 PM.

kolla 
Posted on 18-Jun-2015 23:20:30
#9 ]
Elite Member

I agree that IoT is somewhat of a hype these days, but I do not agree that it is all hoax. The "things" are typically more business oriented (no surprise there), the whole convergence hype from years back is pretty much the same thing, and noone can deny that it has happened. IoT is just continuing this trend, using IPs on even more devices, not so much in your home as in businesses (more money there), most card readers are already IP enabled, ATMs too. More and more public transport vehicles collect passenger info and send it "home" over IP for security and statistics. Health sensors on patients and people with preconditions, reporting to alarm centrals and doctors. And yes, various "smart" household equipment is coming too, especially interesting if your business is in catering, restaurant, bars etc. Personally I have been playing with the idea of automation for micro/nano breweries, for example hooking inventory sensors to my BeerSmith account, warning me if I lack ingredients when I want to brew a particular beer, maybe even prepare an order at the local supplier.

Absolutely nothing to do with Amiga though, an OS which barely is able to be online these days.

Last edited by kolla on 18-Jun-2015 at 11:23 PM.

hogne 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 9:32:44
#10 ]

@amigang

Hello! Friend Software Labs is a Norwegian company founded last year. We're developing a cloud OS and "meta kernel" - a type of server application that does the processing of the OS, and connects to various devices on the network.

We're present at Amiga30 in Amsterdam and in California, where we are going to show and tell. We're also launching a Kickstarter campaign just before the Amiga30 event in Amsterdam.

FriendUP, as our OS is called, is not like AmigaOS when talking about the legacy, the hardware, native machine code etc. But it achieves an AmigaOS like desktop (configurable of course), which lets you build web applications and server applications with technologies that borrow a lot from Amiga.

We decided to use web engines (Webkit etc) as a base for our GUI, because it is so infinite in possibilities and has such a rich media capability. Today, on most major platforms, everything is hardware accelerated. And this trend will continue. The fact that the GUI is web engine based will turn a lot of Amiga types away - I know, I've already been through this discussion. But what we get in return, is a universally available desktop environment on almost any platform, always available to you wherever you go. At the same time, our tests with a pure Webkit canvas on top of X.org made us understand that Webkit, just as a graphics engine, is more than fast enough to build a Linux desktop environment - which is something we plan to show in our FriendUP Linux distro, based on Debian.

Examples of Amiga like features:

Our shell is very similar to the AmigaOS shell, aiming for KingCON type functionality. It is available on the desktop as well as through SSH at the server level. We have a familiar DOS / filesystem behaviour. Our default partitions are; "System:", for the OS tools, utilities, preferences etc, "Home:" for your personal files - and then you have a mountlist application where you can add websites as disks, databases, sshfs - in FriendUP - everything is abstracted as a "partition".
You use the same commands as on AmigaOS - status, break, copy, makedir etc. This furthers some aspects of Amiga heritage - something I'm personally proud of.

We have C APIs that are using a BOOPSI like framework. This is to allow for OOP in C (as we're all used to) - later on we'll have a C++ API.

Our desktop environment is modeled on the Amiga Workbench, but we're also implementing themes where the behavior of the desktop is more like Mac OS X, or Windows. You will find these screenshots when our site launches soon (perhaps tomorrow, actually).

The project is quite large, that's why we're hoping for Kickstarter funding so that we can meet the December release date.

A bit of my personal background. I used amigas as my main setup from 1989-2001. I was on the AROS team for a while, doing some initial work on Wanderer, and I developed Lunapaint. I still follow all the Amiga projects, (I think I have an old account here, lost my password and email :)), and hope that our project will give Amiga developers and users a new arena to play with, online, while they are away from their real Amiga computers and platforms.

The most important thing to note, here, is that we're not promoting our cloud OS as an Amiga OS. Not at all. But we are Amiga related, in that we're heavily influenced by the Amiga structures and desktop solutions - so in that sense, we're continuing the Amiga culture in our project.

As for the whole IoT thing. IoT is where a lot of resources are put these days. At the same time, we thought that the user should be able to participate. A lot of corporations have access to vast data mines (facebook etc), IoT clusters for cities etc. If nobody develops good user oriented interfaces, users might be left out. We're trying to make tools that let users participate with DIY IoT kits (we have some partner companies working on hardware here, not specifically for us, but available for our use) - then you can make all of this relevant for yourselves - if you like.

IoT can be a nightmare in the future if it's left to governments and corporations - used for surveillance and "counting" everything. This goes hand in hand with the sometimes apocalyptic scenarios for the future with all our mobile devices, and how they can betray us. That's why we believe in giving individuals the tools to access these things themselves - as a balancing force. There are many humanitarian aspects to our project. That's why we're also talking to organizations on how they can make use of all of this.

Another thing; our "cloud OS" is very general purpose. Being AGPLv3, it means you could even make a website - out of the OS components - which would behave completely different to normal websites. It would be like logging into a shared desktop, where you could have apps for various interactions with others. The possibilities for use are broad - this thing is not made to replace your Windows, Mac, Linux or Amiga computers. Imagine the AmigaOS simulator made in HTML5 - only done with commercial support and consistent APIs created for developers. :) Then, distribute that like Joomla / Wordpress, and see what people will make with it.

The main commercial opportunity for us, is in integration between systems. A lot of systems have huge integration problems today. Hospitals for example, have hundreds of systems that do not talk to each other. People use various low level means to integrate, and write translation layers for each interaction. With our "meta kernel", you can quickly produce file systems for everything from oracle databases to application data files. This will be a great benefit for those who want to simplify interactions between systems. Instead of writing custom routines for all the databases, you write a "driver" for each database, and all of them can talk using DOS commands (fopen, fwrite etc) using "amiga like" paths (copy MyOracle:Table/Datafile to MyMysql:Table/)..

Anyhow, fire away questions. I will respond to the best of my ability. And please try to keep it friendly? :)

Last edited by hogne on 19-Jun-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Last edited by hogne on 19-Jun-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Last edited by hogne on 19-Jun-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Last edited by hogne on 19-Jun-2015 at 09:34 AM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 9:58:44
#11 ]

@kolla

Quote:

kolla wrote:
More and more public transport vehicles collect passenger info and send it "home" over IP for security and statistics. Health sensors on patients and people with preconditions, reporting to alarm centrals and doctors.

I will not call it "Internet of things" but at least "IP of equipments"... And the medical sensors are mostly located in hospitals into local area networks confined into hospitals routers, and do not exit in the internet...

Quote:

And yes, various "smart" household equipment is coming too, especially interesting if your business is in catering, restaurant, bars etc.

Smart household equipments are a myth... It could be useful only for dairy products and not for full catering at home, and even if limited to dairy, people will starting disagree their fridges making automatically ordinations at stores draining their bank accounts any products is missing into fridge/shelves.
Nowadays is more practical only a single weekly visit to supermarket and make signle grocery shopping for the entire week to come with credit card (that you will pay in installments), that a continue outlay of cents by cents on your account on a daily basis.

Quote:

Personally I have been playing with the idea of automation for micro/nano breweries, for example hooking inventory sensors to my BeerSmith account, warning me if I lack ingredients when I want to brew a particular beer, maybe even prepare an order at the local supplier.

That is really fine, but I do not call it "internet of things" but just a sensor based inventory that advice you and it is also capable to make an order to suppliers, that is perfectly normal in a factory...

The concept of "internet of things" that many information technology firms are trying to make us accept is more pervasive and invasive than examples that you made.

Quote:

Absolutely nothing to do with Amiga though, an OS which barely is able to be online these days.

Absolutely yes. And we must perform any effort to give AmigaOS a modern kernel and features and deprecating all obsolete system.
If KernelNG could not evolve anymore it is time to explore new kernels, and mainly those that have things in common with AmigaOS, such as microkernel BeOS/Haiku!

hogne 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 10:24:47
#12 ]

@Raffaele

A screenshot for you :)

http://pasteboard.co/1kQwL5V8.png

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 11:42:22
#13 ]

@hogne
Ehh... did you pay for patents or do you plan to release it as open source effort.
I ask because I had to do a lot of paperwork and ensure licensing or sublicing those things...

So I am very allergic if someone Pops-up just doing something similar..

Call me a Party pooper : )
Of couse many countries give a s*t about sofware patents.. some care only if the software patent is usable as or part of solving a technical Problem but this is the case as soon you talk IoT...

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 19-Jun-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 19-Jun-2015 at 11:42 AM.

hogne 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 12:07:55
#14 ]

@phoenixkonsole

I'll not go too much into our patent strategy - but in Europe, it's not really a question. We don't have software patents here. And we don't want to start a patent war with anyone. But for the US market, a process is ongoing.

That's why we're focusing on the open source version for users. We're not really for software patents - they stifle progress in my opinion. If we do succeed in acquiring patents, I have serious doubts we'd protect them against competition - that's just not friendly.

We do have a version available with a commercial license - but this is for corporations and businesses. Every software product needs to have a commercial strategy to be meaningful for medium to large companies - because they have special deployment requirements. But like I said, I won't go much into the patent strategy. And it's not really my cup of tea anyway :) I'll leave that for the lawyer types.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 12:17:59
#15 ]

@hogne
I count Germany to europe and here is a Grey Zone.
As described above:
If your Software is usebale or "essential" part of solving a technical Problem (which again is patented) than your Software is patented as well.

The trick is not to demo the false Thing to the public ; )
All in all your are following the same idea that i have. In simple words accessing Server based processing via sort of terminal like OS.

Maybe we can coop?
I have a really Fitting Project.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/681890174/541299541?token=4ac082a6

Jupp3 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 12:20:21
#16 ]

What if it's just a typo, and they meant to write "FriedenOS" instead?

hogne 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 12:42:17
#17 ]

@Jupp3

It's called FriendUP. FriendOS.com is just a domain name that was too tempting not to use :)

hogne 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 12:43:49
#18 ]

@phoenixkonsole

Feel free to write me an e-mail to titlestad @ friendup . no

Or write to our CEO at blix @ friendup . no :)

hogne 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 12:56:59
#19 ]

@phoenixkonsole

By the way, I don't think our tech is patentable in germany.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/06/german-parliament-says-no-more-software-patents

But, we can take the patent stuff on e-mail. In this thread, I'd much rather we talk about what the original poster asked about. Not to try to force any specific conversation. It's just that patents land in a whole different ballpark, and - like I said - I'd much rather leave it with the lawyer types. :)

pavlor 
Posted on 19-Jun-2015 15:17:46
#20 ]
Elite Member

@hogne

Welcome!

And good luck!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle