Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 120 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

vox

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 vox:  2 mins ago
 kolla:  9 mins ago
 Mr_DBUG:  10 mins ago
 Gunnar:  49 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 1 min ago
 saimo:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 42 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Installation of Radeon HD Southern Islands and 3D VisionTek HD 7750 card
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Epsilon 
Re: Installation of Radeon HD Southern Islands and 3D VisionTek HD 7750 card
Posted on 7-Jul-2015 5:51:47
#41 ]

@WeiXing3D

Quote:
Just to recap: 1. I updated radeonhd.chip 1.7 to 2.10. Confirmed in shell 2. Downloaded and installed Radeon HD 3D Southern Islands while still using originally installed Radeon RV700 card. 3. Swapped RV700 with VisionTek HD 7750. No signal. 4. Swapping back gfx cards again, brings system back to life. I've been reading some of the specs of these gfx cards and noticed that a 400W PSU is recommended, so since mine is 350W, I will try replacing that before spending money in yet another card, either used or new.

If this helps, here is the spec sheet for your card I believe. Looks like it recommends 300W minimum and 400W for dual ati crossfire mode.

https://www.visiontek.com/images/datasheets/900549.pdf

https://www.visiontek.com/graphics-cards/visiontek-radeon-7750-sff-1gb-x16-pcie-graphics-card-detail.html#system-requirements

It is possible a beefier psu may help, and probably as you say a much cheaper option. Especially could help if your system has expansion cards, multiple hard disks and DVD drives in it since they all draw additional power, but it is not a guarantee it will fix it.

Probably unlikely and just a guess, but perhaps the card is set somehow to use the crossfire mode from when you connected it to a PC using Windows drivers and thus needs additional power (400W)? Don't know though - I have not use SLI/Crossfire mode on Windows with my gfx cards as I normally buy one card and not two.

Back to the Sam - in my case I have a 450W PSU in my Sam460CR system and it works fine with the Sapphire 7750 PCI-e card, one SATA hard disk, one SATA DVD drive, one SD card on board, 1 PCI SATA card and 1 PCI-e Envy24HT sound card. I use an external powered USB hub for connecting other USB devices beyond the keyboard and mouse.

I hope this information is useful.

Catcha,
Epsilon

Profile     Report this post  
Rob 
Posted on 7-Jul-2015 10:21:50
#42 ]
Elite Member

@Epsilon

My Sapphire Radeon 4670 says it needs 400W on the box and I successfully ran it in a Core2 1.8Ghz based system using a 200W PSU. From what I remember, the actual power draw for the whole system was about 90W at idle and about 130-140W when running a game. It was probably close to the real limit of the PSU and the reason why it didn't last as long as it should have but the point is that I was able to run it on a much lower rated supply than recommended.

What I've read says that the max power that a PCI-e slot can supply is 75W anyway.

WeiXing3D 
Posted on 7-Jul-2015 16:34:43
#43 ]

@Rob
I need to find time after work hours to go and buy a new 450W PSU and see if that takes care of this mysterious issue.

Honestly, I don't have a lot of peripherals either internally or externally. Just one HDD, a CD/DVD RW unit, 2 fans, one gfx card (the old one for now), and via USB a keyboard and mouse.

But let's see if my new gfx card is a power eater.

Other than this new plan, I have no idea on what else to check.

I continue looking for other Radeon HD 7750 GDDR5, low profiles in the net, but not luck. Must Club 3D card are only available in either Germany and the UK, but I checked and those companies do not ship to the good old U.S..

eBay or Amazon don't turn up any hits. So if anyone has a spare one for sale, or can point me in the direction of where to buy one, in case I have to shift gears to a possible plan C, please let me know.

kyle 
Posted on 7-Jul-2015 16:47:37
#44 ]
Cult Member

@WeiXing3D

I don't think it's a psu issue, but an incompatibility of your gfx card with your Sam, as already written by others.

Also my gfx card (a 6570) requires a 400W power supply by its reference manual but it's working fine in my 460ex system equipped with a 120W picopsu.

WeiXing3D 
Posted on 7-Jul-2015 17:25:17
#45 ]

@kyle

I purchased that card because it was reported to work fine in SAM460ex by other users. This is also mentioned in Hans's compatibility list.

Another reason I bought this card is the fact that is the only one in Hans' list that is still available here in the U.S. from retailers and net places such as eBay, Amazon, etc.

This is why I'v been asking for references of other places from which I can buy a different card, and that ships to the U.S.

I also want to avoid having to start buying cards and make my pocket hole bigger until I find a card that works with my system.

I am all open to suggestions.

Quote:

kyle wrote:
@WeiXing3D

I don't think it's a psu issue, but an incompatibility of your gfx card with your Sam, as already written by others.

Also my gfx card (a 6570) requires a 400W power supply by its reference manual but it's working fine in my 460ex system equipped with a 120W picopsu.

Rob 
Posted on 7-Jul-2015 17:35:16
#46 ]
Elite Member

@WeiXing3D

Don't buy a new PSU. Like I said the most power the PCI-e slots can provide is 75W and since your card doesn't have an auxilary power input it must be designed to run within that power envelope and I somehow doubt that the PSU is unable to provide that.

You said you updated to the latest BIOS. The press release says that you can adjust the x86 BIOS emulator's accuracy from the menus. Switch back to whatever video card you were using before and adjust the settings then re-install the 7750 and see if works. I'm not familar with uboot on the Sam460 so there may be some trial and error involved.
If you are unsure about adjussting the settings it's probably worth getting in contact with Max at Acube.

If you can't successfuly get a signal from the 7750 then there must be a subtle compatibility problem and it may be worth investigating the use of a dual slot card and a flexible riser like some other 460 users have adopted.

I'd also recommend using this opportunity to familiarise yourself with swapping expansion cards in and out of the system. It's fairly simple stuff and not something to be afraid of doing yourself. Antistactic wrist straps are fairly cheap and easy to obtain if you're concerned about causing electrostatic damage.

WeiXing3D 
Posted on 7-Jul-2015 18:02:12
#47 ]

@Rob

Could you or somebody else elaborate on your recommendation: "The press release says that you can adjust the x86 BIOS emulator's accuracy from the menus. Switch back to whatever video card you were using before and adjust the settings then re-install the 7750."?

What specific setting should I change x86 emulator to?

Rob 
Posted on 7-Jul-2015 18:58:25
#48 ]
Elite Member

@WeiXing3D

Like I said I'm not familiar with the Sam460 BIOS but I made a quick search and found that Epsilon's excellent blog covers the new BIOS here:

http://amigax1000.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/new-acube-systems-firmware-for-sam-460cr.html

It shows the x86 BIOS emulator options come under the video menu as folows:

The blog doesn't actually cover what other option/s are available from the BIOS emulation menu but since the default is "fast" I suspect that there's at least one more option called "accurate" or "compatible". Change it from "fast" to whatever the other option is. If there are several multiple options test each one systematically until the card works or you have exhausted all options.

Also can you report back here what the options are, just for more completeness of knowledge.

WeiXing3D 
Posted on 7-Jul-2015 19:37:37
#49 ]

@Rob
Thank you for sharing that link.

The other options are:
Fast
Medium
Slow (completed)

Any suggestions?

Rob 
Posted on 7-Jul-2015 19:47:56
#50 ]
Elite Member

@WeiXing3D

Try Medium first and if that fails try Slow. I hope you find success.

sundown 
Posted on 7-Jul-2015 20:33:49
#51 ]
Elite Member

@WeiXing3D

I wouldn't waste any more money trying another PSU. If I read right, you bought the card from Newegg, very good with customer service, you should just request a replacement card & explain the one you got is not compatable with your h/w. Its not like you'd be the first to have that problem.

WeiXing3D 
Posted on 7-Jul-2015 21:09:08
#52 ]

@sundown

But replace the card by another of exactly the same make and model? What argument can use on this regard?

I don't find any other compatible card in their store/web site; Radeon HD 7750 GDD5 1GB and LOW PROFILE.

Quote:

sundown wrote:
@WeiXing3D

I wouldn't waste any more money trying another PSU. If I read right, you bought the card from Newegg, very good with customer service, you should just request a replacement card & explain the one you got is not compatable with your h/w. Its not like you'd be the first to have that problem.

Last edited by WeiXing3D on 07-Jul-2015 at 09:10 PM.

Rob 
Posted on 7-Jul-2015 22:02:10
#53 ]
Elite Member

@WeiXing3D

Just did a quick seach and there's a few different low profile VisionTek 7750 cards out there. Some of them have GDDR5 and some have DDR3

https://www.google.com/search?q=VisionTek+HD+7750&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=VisionTek+HD+7750&tbm=shop&spd=0

When the SI driver was released Amigakit said to make sure that the card hadd GDDR5 memory.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=7363&start=40#94757

Maybe your card is one of the ones with DDR3.

Drewlio77 
Posted on 7-Jul-2015 23:00:42
#54 ]
Cult Member

@Rob

WeiXing3D's earlier post states his card is indeed GDDR5. My card is the exact same as he has and runs fine on my 250W PSU. At this point I believe his card may be defunct.

Drewlio77

WeiXing3D 
Posted on 7-Jul-2015 23:11:53
#55 ]

@Drewlio77 @rob,

Yes, the card I bought is GDDR5. This is the link of the one I bought http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129263&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Desktop+Graphics+Cards-_-N82E16814129263&gclid=CjwKEAjw8e2sBRCYte6U3suRjFESJAB4gn_g-QVksmMipQZi_tcRkRPhb30lgU_yusKPDu2ltotrRBoCEQHw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Quote:

Drewlio77 wrote:
@Rob

WeiXing3D's earlier post states his card is indeed GDDR5. My card is the exact same as he has and runs fine on my 250W PSU. At this point I believe his card may be defunct.

Drewlio77

Last edited by WeiXing3D on 07-Jul-2015 at 11:13 PM.

sundown 
Posted on 8-Jul-2015 5:19:19
#56 ]
Elite Member

@WeiXing3D

Quote:
But replace the card by another of exactly the same make and model?

Yes, if thats the card you want to stick with.

Quote:
What argument can use on this regard?

"Not working with my hardware"
You need to get a refund otherwise. Newegg, Amazon, & most other companies will gladly work with you, they want returning customers, not pissed off ppl, so ask them. Newegg does have an online return request form.
https://secure.newegg.com/Guest/RMALogin.aspx

WeiXing3D 
Posted on 8-Jul-2015 6:11:08
#57 ]

@Rob

I tried all 3 different settings under x86 BIOS emulator (fast, medium and slow) and none of them worked.

Next I will try using a DVI to VGA adapter and VGA cable, following another suggestion received here, and if that doesn't work, I will follow Sundown's suggestion and have the card swapped by Newegg (supplier).

Quote:

Rob wrote:
@WeiXing3D

Try Medium first and if that fails try Slow. I hope you find success.

WeiXing3D 
Posted on 8-Jul-2015 6:16:14
#58 ]

@sundown

I guess then that I will have to ask Newegg just to swap for the same one, because they do not have any of the other ones listed in Hans' compatibility list; at least of the low profile ones.

But what are the chances that a new one of the same make and model would work?

Quote:

sundown wrote:
@WeiXing3D

Quote:
But replace the card by another of exactly the same make and model?

Yes, if thats the card you want to stick with.

Quote:
What argument can use on this regard?

"Not working with my hardware"
You need to get a refund otherwise. Newegg, Amazon, & most other companies will gladly work with you, they want returning customers, not pissed off ppl, so ask them. Newegg does have an online return request form.
https://secure.newegg.com/Guest/RMALogin.aspx

AlexC 
Posted on 8-Jul-2015 12:58:26
#59 ]

@WeiXing3D

Are you getting no signal when turning on the SAM or once booting into OS4?

In any case I'd suggest turning it on and leaving it alone for a few minutes then check the heatsink to see if it's cold or warm as that would at least give a hint whether the GPU is running or not.

Check that the card really is seated properly. It doesn't take much to miss some contacts. Sometimes the case prevents the brackets from going down far enough and the motherboard needs to be raised.

Make sure you have the latest version of U-Boot for the SAM in case some older version has issues with the newer Radeon chipsets.

If you can, try connecting a serial terminal at 115200 bauds 8,N,1 to see/capture some serial output. Both U-Boot and the RadeonHD driver should print something when they initialize the gfx card.

The recommended Wattage for the PSU assumes that you have an x86 motherboard which draws a lot of Watts, so you should be fine with a small PSU.
However, it's possible that your PSU isn't supplying enough Watts on the rail which feeds the PCIe slot, so it's worth borrowing a big PSU to rule that out.

That's all I've got ATM.

AmigaOne XE/X1000/X5000/UAE-PPC OS4 laptop/X-10 Home Automation

Drewlio77 
Posted on 8-Jul-2015 14:13:10
#60 ]
Cult Member

@WeiXing3D

This is the card I bought for my SAM460ex on Amazon.com:

Radeon 7750 GDDR5

It is the same Visiontek Model number as yours, 500549. My PSU is 230W and everything runs great.

Drewlio77

Last edited by Drewlio77 on 08-Jul-2015 at 02:15 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle