Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 127 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

BigD,  VooDoo

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Diane:  59 secs ago
 BigD:  3 mins ago
 VooDoo:  4 mins ago
 A1200:  8 mins ago
 pixie:  20 mins ago
 retrofaza:  21 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  42 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 zErec:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Will there be any new A1200 accelerator cards sometime soon
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
LimoU.Sin 
Will there be any new A1200 accelerator cards sometime soon
Posted on 29-Jul-2015 13:16:14
#1 ]

The ACA cards seems slow compared with the latest old Apollo/Blizzard cards with 68040 & 68060 CPUs.

what im searching for is a new accelerator card running at least 68030 @ 200MHz or more, or even better with 040/060 socket.

I also thought this looked a bit interesting:
http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Amiga_reloaded
http://www.facebook.com/a1200housings

I really can't downgrade from 040/060 socket and really need somthing faster than ACA 68020 and 68030 cards that are even running at only 40MHz and below, 50MHz was the most common 030 speeds i can remember back in the days BTW.

Profile     Report this post  
TheDungeonDelver 
Re: Will there be any new A1200 accelerator cards sometime soon
Posted on 29-Jul-2015 17:25:01
#2 ]
Cult Member

The "Vampire" FPGA cards for the A600 (and A500 in testing) may be what you're looking for; with the Apollo core they can potentially run as high as 400mhz.

However, no cards as such have been mentioned as coming out for the 1200.

Drewlio77 
Posted on 29-Jul-2015 19:34:32
#3 ]
Cult Member

@TheDungeonDelver

Of which is a shame. The A1200 would really benefit from such a speed boost, being 32 bit and all.

Drewlio77

TheDungeonDelver 
Posted on 30-Jul-2015 6:58:38
#4 ]
Cult Member

Well, I'm about as far removed from that whole process as anyone can be, so I'm not trying to speak authoritatively but rather just observationally: the focus right now seems to be on the A600 version, with an A500 version under development. I'm not saying they never will, just that there's not one right now.

A 250-400mhz A1200 (68x-through-FPGA) would be quite a sight to see.

You can get a feeling for what that would be like by running WinUAE on a powerful system and cranking up an A1200 config with "fastest possible" settings on emulation...I think the last time I dithered with WinUAE was on a single-core Athlon machine ages and ages ago, I switched on "fastest possible" and ran Quake 1 in 1024x768 with whatever 3d acceleration was available switched on, and never dipped below 30fps during the entire playthrough (and I played the entire game, all chapters).

But I digress; all that is to say that the OP's request for a super-duper fast A1200 is I think a valid one and the best route there with extant hardware + accelerator card would be something like the Vampire series. So here's hoping they make an A1200 version, eh?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 30-Jul-2015 7:52:42
#5 ]
Elite Member

@LimoU.Sin

I do not see the point of accelerated OCS/AGA hardware.

Most of the Amiga demos are design to run on limited hardware, that’s the point of this demos, because that is a challenge; the games are designed for slow chip ram.

The games that are made on Amiga is mostly jump and run platform games, they don't need a lot of CPU, the hardware is designed for games like that.

For audio, you have Prisma Megamix, that does all audio decoding, so CPU don't need too.

If that is not what you are interested in, then maybe Classic Amiga is not for you.

There is attempts to make FPGA Amiga computers and things like that, but it is pointless, when the people who make the software for this computers, do not have any interest in MHZ and modern graphics.

The games requires 320x200 AGA, because a 640x480 takes 4x CPU power to do C2P, so going higher resolution is too CPU demanding, the CPU power is better spent on better game play or better demo effects.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-Jul-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-Jul-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-Jul-2015 at 07:55 AM.

LimoU.Sin 
Posted on 30-Jul-2015 8:05:02
#6 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

I wrote i didn't want to downgrade, that means i already have a 68060 in my old Amiga 1200. I actually have an additional not in use 68060, so just a socked without CPU had actually been enough for me.

To buy a "new" slower Amiga is almost as bad as to downgrade to AmigaOS4, although downgrading to OS4 is much worse really.

Last edited by LimoU.Sin on 30-Jul-2015 at 08:05 AM.

Birbo 
Posted on 30-Jul-2015 8:12:17
#7 ]
Cult Member

@LimoU.Sin

What is not ok with the Indivision-Cards? Do you think they are not fast enough for your needs?

kolla 
Posted on 30-Jul-2015 8:56:53
#8 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

How consumer of you. Some of us want speed and ram for using creativity software, you know, _making_ music, animations etc using features only find in the chipset (or equivalent of).

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 30-Jul-2015 9:19:43
#9 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Quote:
_making_ music, animations etc using features only find in the chipset (or equivalent of).

There is not like there is lack of programs to make music on, lots of programs support MIDI.

Quote:
Animations

PPaint supports that.

Quote:
using features only find in the chipset (or equivalent of).

They are not only available on OCS/AGA chipset, using Composition to overlay last frame or next frame (50% Transparency), when you animate, can be easily be done, no one have made a modern program to animate on using modern graphics. But it's not limited to old low resolution graphics chipset.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-Jul-2015 at 10:45 AM.

utri007 
Posted on 30-Jul-2015 9:35:01
#10 ]

Funny that nobody hasn't noticed this : http://kipper2k.com/accel1200.html

I have 040 and 060, I couldn't imagene to buy 030 accelerator.

invent 
Posted on 30-Jul-2015 12:04:34
#11 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

I'd buy an accelerator card with extra ram, back in the day it added improved speed and less memory restrictions.

While it's nice for games and demos, I really noticed the difference in software such as paint programs or Scala :)

I'd probably be happy with the 68030 card I bought back then.

LimoU.Sin 
Posted on 30-Jul-2015 13:47:44
#12 ]

@Birbo

Quote:

Birbo wrote:
@LimoU.Sin

What is not ok with the Indivision-Cards? Do you think they are not fast enough for your needs?

Yes it's not fast enough for most of my Commodore Amiga needs. Almost everything past 1992 works much better with a faster 68k CPU than 68020 @ 14MHz, I would say the minimum requirements are 68030 @ 50 MHz and recommended requirements are 68060 @ 50 MHz, and especially for my needs..

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 30-Jul-2015 14:14:00
#13 ]
Elite Member

@invent

Well I guess It's because most things use vsync for timing, the extra CPU power is never used.
Funny thing changing Amiga video mode to PAL made games slower/easier to play then if you used NTSC, because the refresh rate was slightly different.

Trixie 
Posted on 30-Jul-2015 19:09:47
#14 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@LimoU.Sin

Quote:
To buy a "new" slower Amiga is almost as bad as to downgrade to AmigaOS4, although downgrading to OS4 is much worse really.

During my 25-year personal history with the Amiga I've had an A500, an A600, an A1200 (with a 030 and a 040 accelerator) and an A4000 (with a 060 accelerator and a graphics card). My current system is a Sam440-Flex @ 667 MHz running AmigaOS4.1. It is _BY FAR_ the fastest, most stable and easiest-to-use Amiga system I have ever owned. So perhaps you could elaborate on the "downgrade" you're talking about?

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Rob 
Posted on 30-Jul-2015 19:12:09
#15 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

There's plenty of people that see it from a different point of view.

Quote:
Most of the Amiga demos are design to run on limited hardware, that’s the point of this demos, because that is a challenge; the games are designed for slow chip ram.

There are plenty of AGA demos that need a fast accelerator and would benefit further from something faster than what's currently available.

Quote:
The games that are made on Amiga is mostly jump and run platform games, they don't need a lot of CPU, the hardware is designed for games like that.

There's plenty of 3D games that benefit from a faster porcessor. There's quite a selection of flight sims and a few racers like Hard Drivin' and F1 GP and few space games. Virus, Zeewolf 1&2, Carrier Coman and Battle Command are few other types of game I can think of off the top of my head. There are some strategy games that benefit too and Battle Chess calculates moves a lot faster on accelerated systems.

Quote:
For audio, you have Prisma Megamix, that does all audio decoding, so CPU don't need too.

Fine if you're a consumer but if you're making music you might want something faster depending on what software you're using. About 7 or so years ago I sold my friends Apollo 1260 to a guy who made his own music on an A1200 and needed more power than he had.

Quote:
There is attempts to make FPGA Amiga computers and things like that, but it is pointless, when the people who make the software for this computers, do not have any interest in MHZ and modern graphics.

There's still plenty of old software and that would take advanatage of such systems and
and if something was cheap and powerful yo might see some more interesting development.

Quote:
The games requires 320x200 AGA, because a 640x480 takes 4x CPU power to do C2P, so going higher resolution is too CPU demanding, the CPU power is better spent on better game play or better demo effects.

Mosts games that use C2P do allow higher resolutions and all benefit from faster Amiga setups.

Rob 
Posted on 30-Jul-2015 19:17:30
#16 ]
Elite Member

@HL

Quote:
Yes it's not fast enough for most of my Commodore Amiga needs. Almost everything past 1992 works much better with a faster 68k CPU than 68020 @ 14MHz, I would say the minimum requirements are 68030 @ 50 MHz and recommended requirements are 68060 @ 50 MHz, and especially for my needs..

Well you have an 060 so I don't see why your'e bothered about the speed of an 020 card that's on the market . The people who find the ACA cards fast enough for their needs can buy one and you can keep using the 060, everyone wins.

LimoU.Sin 
Posted on 30-Jul-2015 20:16:39
#17 ]

@Rob

I'm not sure why you are writing to someone who has not posted anything in this thread but you quotes my text.

The hardware has become old, i bought my Amiga 1200 in 1992 and the accelerator card is quite old too now.

I'm not one of those who wait until all the cupboards are empty before they buy new goods. Imagine if Amiga had grown on trees thousands of years back in time and a late autumn evening it broke down, then I had to wait until next summer before I got a new one, if I then hadn't Rob someone else Amiga. And when next summer came some had chopped down all the trees, what would I do then, using an Amiga emulator on Windows?

kolla 
Posted on 31-Jul-2015 8:50:28
#18 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:

I do not see the point of you posting on this thread then. And I question your nickname.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 31-Jul-2015 12:37:59
#19 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Quote:
I do not see the point of you posting on this thread then.

I have asked demo coders if the where interested in making there demos system friendly many times, I have asked if they were interested in supporting 640x480, the answer was NO etch time.

I think my point of view is valid, if the software people are not interested in making Games and demos for 640x480 or higher resolutions, then there is no point having more CPU power.

Quote:
And I question your nickname.

Well I used to believe that Amiga meant more then "25Mhz", but I was wrong.

Well I'm nuts about AmigaOS, not so nuts about 7mhz -100mhz, if get the picture.
I won't new and better software programs for AmigaOS.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 31-Jul-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 31-Jul-2015 at 12:41 PM.

LimoU.Sin 
Posted on 31-Jul-2015 13:49:51
#20 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

What system are you talking about, the demos are to a very high degree Amiga system friendly?

And I have seen many demos that uses Hi-res interlace screen resolutions.
This one runs even on Amiga 500 with 1 meg of RAM. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK_U9UnZoNs

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle