Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 178 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  15 mins ago
 pixie:  16 mins ago
 BigD:  43 mins ago
 matthey:  57 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 Swisso:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 10 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga PPC Linux
      /  Mesa and Mac on Linux
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Geri 
Re: Mesa and Mac on Linux
Posted on 16-Aug-2015 15:17:31
#21 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
scabit wrote:
@Geri

I set up the sources.list and keyring to add your sf.net/projects/amigaone-linux stuff, and that went okay. I recall seeing only one kernel version available under the aptitude kernel section, and I didn't know what to do from there.

There should be two kernel versions: a normal (with KVM support) and a SMP version.

Quote:
On my wheezy partition, if I just do an apt-get upgrade it will upgrade me to jessie?

No, this command only upgrades to newer versions within Debian Wheezy. What you're thinking of can be achieved with "apt-get dist-upgrade". But you don't have to upgrade to Jessie to use this kernel (it's just that this kernel package is compiled with Jessie's GCC version).

Quote:
Will my current kernel ... I think it is 3.1 or 3.2, work with jessie? I don't want to get into a situation where I cannot boot into my wheezy partition if i try to update to jessie......

I haven't checked the minimal kernel version requirements of Jessie, but again: an upgrade to Jessie is not needed.

Quote:
IIRC the script files Hypex was working on which you had given him to autoscript the boot updates didn't work...it had some bugs. The first one I recall was that the boot folder is actually under /boot/boot and NOT under /boot for A1 machines..... the slb goes to /boot/boot/a1boot.conf to get the config parameters, and the script Hypex had went to /boot and didn't find anything, and then updated everything in the wrong place.
Not sure if your new script looks under /boot/boot like it is set up for A1s or just /boot which will not work.

Well, my scripts expect a specific setup and will just bail out with an error message, if it is not correctly implemented. IIRC Hypex fixed the setup in his installer in the meantime, but your Wheezy installation may predate the newest installer version. Still it is possible to fix the setup of your Wheezy installation by hand, as it is not at all complex once you understood how it is working.

- A1 Linux support -

Profile     Report this post  
scabit 
Posted on 19-Aug-2015 0:02:54
#22 ]

@Geri

okay, here is what I see in aptitude under New Packages / kernel / main after I comment out all other sources.list references except the one you list in your previous post for sourceforge.net.... (and I also do an apt-get update as well)

p linux-headers-3.2.0.4-book3s-amiga 3.2.65-1
C linux-image-3.2.0.4-book3s-amigaon 3.2.65-1 3.2.65-1

I do not see any other kernel subdirectories in any other places in aptitude, i.e. Not Installed Packages, Virtual Packages etc.

So I'm just trying to figure out what to do to get your kvm kernel installed...

Scott

Geri 
Posted on 19-Aug-2015 9:28:19
#23 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
scabit wrote:
@Geri

okay, here is what I see in aptitude under New Packages / kernel / main after I comment out all other sources.list references except the one you list in your previous post for sourceforge.net.... (and I also do an apt-get update as well)

p linux-headers-3.2.0.4-book3s-amiga 3.2.65-1
C linux-image-3.2.0.4-book3s-amigaon 3.2.65-1 3.2.65-1

I do not see any other kernel subdirectories in any other places in aptitude, i.e. Not Installed Packages, Virtual Packages etc.

I suppose you added a line like the following to your sources.list file:
Quote:
deb http://sourceforge.net/projects/amigaone-linux/files/debian/ wheezy main

Replace "wheezy" with "jessie" and you should get a v3.16 kernel. That's what I meant with "...use jessie instead of wheezy as distribution...".

Quote:
So I'm just trying to figure out what to do to get your kvm kernel installed...

You should fix the setup of the slb_v2 boot partition and the bootloader scripts first. Otherwise the bootloader scripts will fail to generate a proper boot image. Maybe you can post the content of /etc/fstab and the output of "ls -lAR /boot/" as a starting point.

- A1 Linux support -

scabit 
Posted on 24-Aug-2015 17:05:54
#24 ]

@Geri

Yeah, I had figured out the part about using "jessie" instead of "wheezy" for the source forge distribution in sources.list. However, once I did that I had hundreds of programs that showed as outdated and needing to be deleted. Once I did that, I no longer have Gnome, LXDE or any windowing interface to boot into, just a terminal for my wheezy installation....everything got deleted when I went to try to install the kernel you mentioned previously. At last I DID see it there listed in aptitude.
However, that kernel never installed, I had errors in the script file when running initramfs-tools to generate the image file...all done automatically when I tried to update to the new kernel.
So now I have a bare minimum wheezy installation with no windowing environment, no Iceweasel or other tools (nano is still there at least), and a half installed kernel.
I will work on it some more when I get time..... I need to try to delete the incorrect kernel version that is half installed, I think it was the 3.2.0-4-book3s...and then get your new kernel installed some how.
For me, it was always easier just to do it all manually....i.e. download the kernel image you had generated, download the kernel.deb file, put the image in /boot/boot, manually update my a1boot.conf to include the new kernel, boot into the new kernel and then run dpkg -install for the kernel .deb file etc.

When I would do it manually it worked...for all previous kernel versions except the 3.2.0.4 which I never got installed properly. Going back to booting from the 3.1 kernel and then I'll try to update to your recommended kernel from source forge...as I said, when I can get time.

Thanks,

Scott

Geri 
Posted on 24-Aug-2015 22:01:09
#25 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
scabit wrote:
@Geri

Yeah, I had figured out the part about using "jessie" instead of "wheezy" for the source forge distribution in sources.list. However, once I did that I had hundreds of programs that showed as outdated and needing to be deleted. Once I did that, I no longer have Gnome, LXDE or any windowing interface to boot into, just a terminal for my wheezy installation....everything got deleted when I went to try to install the kernel you mentioned previously. At last I DID see it there listed in aptitude.

I have no clue what went wrong here, but it cannot be because of adding the previously mentioned line to sources.list and installing the kernel!
I just installed the jessie kernel on my A1XE under Debian Wheezy by adding the same line to sources.list, doing "apt-get update" and simply installed the kernel using aptitude. Something in your Debian Wheezy installation must have been seriously broken before.

Quote:
However, that kernel never installed, I had errors in the script file when running initramfs-tools to generate the image file...all done automatically when I tried to update to the new kernel.

Yes, the errors occur due to the broken bootloader scripts setup. But these errors cannot result in a removal of the whole desktop environment, as the kernel has no dependencies on it.

Quote:
So now I have a bare minimum wheezy installation with no windowing environment, no Iceweasel or other tools (nano is still there at least), and a half installed kernel.

FWIW it should be possible to reinstall the desktop environment by simply selecting one of the desktop tasks in aptitude once you sorted out any problems with halfway installed packages.

Quote:
I will work on it some more when I get time..... I need to try to delete the incorrect kernel version that is half installed, I think it was the 3.2.0-4-book3s...and then get your new kernel installed some how.
For me, it was always easier just to do it all manually....i.e. download the kernel image you had generated, download the kernel.deb file, put the image in /boot/boot, manually update my a1boot.conf to include the new kernel, boot into the new kernel and then run dpkg -install for the kernel .deb file etc.

The recent kernel packages don't come with a boot image anymore! The reason is that the boot image contains an initramfs image and that is unique for every AmigaOne. E.g. a boot image for an A1XE may not work on an A1SE, because the USB modules are not blacklisted in its initramfs. So simply putting an image to "/boot/boot" (BTW a directory that shouldn't even exist) isn't going to work for everyone.

Quote:
When I would do it manually it worked...for all previous kernel versions except the 3.2.0.4 which I never got installed properly. Going back to booting from the 3.1 kernel and then I'll try to update to your recommended kernel from source forge...as I said, when I can get time.

It may have worked for previous kernels, because there was a boot image available, which is now generated on the fly. So as I said, you need to get your bootloader scripts setup fixed first. That's why I asked you to post the content of /etc/fstab and the output of "ls -lAR /boot/" as a starting point to get it resolved.

- A1 Linux support -

Hypex 
Posted on 17-Sep-2015 15:24:43
#26 ]
Elite Member

@mike

Quote:
Btw, i spotted i had converted the semaphore in MOL to a mutex at some point... Rolling back that change apparently did nothing... So why i had done that i donno, any changes made to your Mol?

I did the same when trying to compile the MoL modules. I think the build script is buggy as it didn't tell me the modules weren't needed for KVM. So here I was wondering why it didn't work out of the box. On a certain kernel version when KVM came in a few functions were dropped from the kernel. IIRC one of these things was a semaphore of some sort. So I set about hacking the source to get it to work.

MoL by itself compiled on KVM but I didn't think it would load as it complained about moduiles. And KVM had to be enabled for it to work. Well to load anyway without error Since I ended up with a blank screen KVM was useless to me!

Hypex 
Posted on 17-Sep-2015 15:56:54
#27 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
IIRC the script files Hypex was working on which you had given him to autoscript the boot updates didn't work...it had some bugs.

Infact, Geri's scripts were fine. But they expected a normal enviroment. Where "/boot/a1boot" is mounted as the boot volume. And where it can scan current devices. In the installer this is not the case. I needed to switch to the target to install packages on there and run his kernel script. But in doing so all disk devices in /dev are removed. So I had to spend some time figuring how to work around this.

Quote:
The first one I recall was that the boot folder is actually under /boot/boot and NOT under /boot for A1 machines

That depends where your looking from. Relative to the boot volume, which for the sake of argument, say is mounted as "/" the boot folder IS under "/boot". Since the boot folder is in the root of the boot volume.

Quote:
.... the slb goes to /boot/boot/a1boot.conf to get the config parameters, and the script Hypex had went to /boot and didn't find anything, and then updated everything in the wrong place.

Actually the SLB would go to /boot/a1boot.conf. From the boot volume. But whatever my script was doing, "/boot" is the right place to look for an a1boot.conf.

Quote:
Not sure if your new script looks under /boot/boot like it is set up for A1s or just /boot which will not work.

It would look for /boot/a1boot and if not found then look in /boot for every Ext/2/3/4 formatted partition .

Last edited by Hypex on 18-Sep-2015 at 02:19 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 17-Sep-2015 16:16:58
#28 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:

I know what you mean. That's what I used to do. Because I liked full control. But Geri's system does make things easier. If a system is setup for it. For a new insttall this is fine. But for an existing installation it needs things installed and the boot volume updated so kernel updates/versions can be installed automatically. This is not unusual. It's similar to how GRUB works on a PC. All we need is a GUI to manage it.

I don't know how bad your system is. I can hazard a guess. So I suggest to boot my installer you can download from below. Run in Rescue mode, mount the main root volume so it's at /target. Drop to a shell. And run:
sh /amigaone/postinstall.sh

That will install needed packages and install the kernel. Your system will then be ready to install Geri's kernels as it will install the A1Boot manager to your boot volume.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/amigaone-linux/files/debian-installer/

Last edited by Hypex on 18-Sep-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Last edited by Hypex on 17-Sep-2015 at 04:19 PM.

xeno74 
Posted on 12-Dec-2015 19:54:40
#29 ]
Cult Member

Hi all,

I was able to patch the latest Mesa version 11.0.7 because of the problems with the wrong colors. It works with the right colors in 32-bit color depth.

Download: MesaLib-11.0.7-powerpc-unofficial.tar.bz2

PLEASE use the the unofficial Mesa version 10.0.4 if you want a stable and reliable 3D acceleration.

Cheers,

Christian

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle