Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
28 crawler(s) on-line.
 120 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  33 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  37 mins ago
 VooDoo:  43 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 miggymac:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 Dragster:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 33 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  4 hrs 6 mins ago
 matthey:  6 hrs 12 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  AmigaOne XE in 2015
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
hotrod 
AmigaOne XE in 2015
Posted on 1-Oct-2015 0:58:55
#1 ]
Elite Member

So is the old gal still usefull? Well yes! Thanks to all great developers she is :) . Right now I'm listening to webradio using Odysseys mediaplayer which works great for those purposes on the machine. YAM is offcourse runing and I'm using many of the very nice apps from zTools, some I still have to take my time to dig into.

I've actually been using it all evening and that's been a long time since I did use it for this long and it really is stable! It's stable, zTools adds more than one may think so if you can afford it, go for it! The extra functions it adds are very, very nice and well worth the money.

VICE had been worked on by the great BSzili and I've been playing the C64-version of Defender of the crown! Worked like a charm, no issues what so ever once I configured the sound according to the topic at amigans.net. Rock-stable and perfect emulation . Lots of fun!

Playing MP3 with AmigaAMP is offcourse working perfectly fine as ever, AmIRC and WookieChat are both very nice. SabreMSN... what a shame :( . It was SO nice... and now it's useless :( . Oh well... The cellphone does fill he gap for chatting purposes :) .

I've spent *lots* of time registering (or trying to) Jabber servers but making it work with Jabberwocky... well I have not. Being able to chat with FB-friends using that client would be nice and from what I've read it's possible but... yeah... one day :) .

Anyhow. I'm having lots of fun! Also RunInUAE can't get enough praise, it's sooo good and I'm really happy for the JIT-support for UAE although it isn't enough to run games like AB3D on this machine. Does it work on the X1000? I'm curious!

However... I'm just glad. AOS still feels like home and I'm still having fun with it thanks to everyone developing for it :) . A big thank you to those keeping the dream alive!

Profile     Report this post  
PR 
Re: AmigaOne XE in 2015
Posted on 1-Oct-2015 11:43:33
#2 ]

Nice!
My expensive One (+Repaired) is still sitting under the desk besides this i5/7?whatever for the programs that should have come after 2002. Well many have and it feel like home but nothing really works on it was it "Classic" or some links from the Net..

danwood 
Posted on 1-Oct-2015 16:54:32
#3 ]

I also have an A1XE, unfortunately my experience is not quite so smooth. My machine experiences lots of random lock-ups and crashes at regular intervals. I've only really booted it up once in the last 2 years to update it to Final Edition. I've not powered it up since about May now though sadly.

I use my A4000 a lot more, and my PowerMac G5 with MorphOS for "NG" stuff, luckily my A4000 with 040, Picasso IV, ethernet, MAS Player etc. does most of the stuff you mention in your OP just fine :)

Arnie 
Posted on 1-Oct-2015 17:34:01
#4 ]
Cult Member

My A1XE had many problems with random crashes which caused me to under clock it down to 600Mhz with 100Mhz front side bus. It was much more stable this way but I managed to get some different ram and it's now back up to 800Mhz.

I have since took the plunge and bought AmigaOS4.1 Final and after a quick 10 minute fresh install, all seems to be ok bar from still not liking large transfers to USB or network drives where it just seems to give up and hang after a while needing a press of the reset button.

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 1-Oct-2015 19:46:45
#5 ]
Cult Member

@hotrod

The XE I used to have developed hardware problems. Yet, when it did run, it was fast. My SAM460ex Lite may have the RAM speed advantage, but it lacks the power of the G4. It makes me appreciate every speed boost that Acube gives the SAM series.

hotrod 
Posted on 1-Oct-2015 19:58:05
#6 ]
Elite Member

@danwood

I watched a video of yours and noticed lots of dust, perhaps it's time to clean it? That's been a reason for my A1 XE being unstable and the other being a flakey PSU on its way to break. Also I haven't been able to get 2GB RAM working.

Other than that it's working just fine with 1GB RAM, running at full speed. The CPU-cooler has been replaced as well.

Cards in it is a Radeon 9250, SII0680, SII3512, SB Live! . Very stable runing AOS 4.1 FE with the latest updates.

zzd10h 
Posted on 1-Oct-2015 22:40:53
#7 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@hotrod

Thank you for the zTools promotion in your first post.
It's kind

hotrod 
Posted on 1-Oct-2015 22:43:59
#8 ]
Elite Member

@zzd10h

Well it's true, it really is a very nice package. Using many of the tools from day 1 and they really improve the experience a lot. I'm very happy with it .

danwood 
Posted on 1-Oct-2015 23:57:07
#9 ]

@hotrod

The dust is probably just because it's been lying unused since 2012 mostly, I had issues when it was in daily use though and used to clean it out regularly. Tried multiple PSU with it too. I had issues with most RAM sticks, but got a single 1GB stick in there at moment, got a single 512MB stick working too, but again random lockups with both.

It has quite a lot of cooling, so don't think it's a heat issue.

hotrod 
Posted on 2-Oct-2015 0:56:04
#10 ]
Elite Member

@danwood

I take it that you're tired of it? Is it just general stability that's the issue or something in particular? There has been driver-issues IIRC but that was a long time ago. I'm not using it very much these days but when I do it really is stable. I got the cheapest 430W PSU that I could find and it works well. I had a 512MB RAM module in it but then I bought 2x1GB RAM modules of the exact same brand and model that some had reported as working in pair but it did not on my machine but one module works very well.

I think that I've replaced one harddrive but the others are still working fine. I clean it maybe once a year and that's it. I actually had some issues with some 4.1 versions but they are all fixed now. Maybe clean it and do a fresh install of 4.1 FE? Tinker some with it. If your issues remains ask at Hyperions site or here for support. It's a shame if it doesn't get used in case there are no serious issues.

I was actually quite fed up with the issues so I bought a PC and did rarely use the A1 XE but it has been fixed since. It's been runing with AmIRC, YAM, Odyssey and several of the zTools etc all evening and I have left it runing during night with no lockups.

khayoz 
Posted on 2-Oct-2015 1:33:27
#11 ]

@hotrod

I´ve still use the XE, actually it´s my main NG Amiga got the microA1c as well!
Running at 933Mhz with 2Gb of ram and a 9000 pro gfx card, the only problem
with the XE is that it was sold with a non proper cooling solution!

I had problems with the XE when I first bought it but now it´s fine.

I´ve changed the CPU fan and I have a case fan blowing cool air inwards to the CPU
since the top mounted PSU is sucking out all hot air!

And I think the RAM is doing wonders too this is what I have installed right now - 2 x Infineon 1GB HYS72V128320GR-7.5-C2, Sync 133MHz CL3 ECC Registered SDRAM

Last edited by khayoz on 18-Nov-2015 at 05:01 PM.

hotrod 
Posted on 2-Oct-2015 1:49:22
#12 ]
Elite Member

@khayoz

It's lived in different towers, even a bigtower with builtin case fans. Right now it's in a cheap tower with just a CPU cooler and one cooler blowing out hot air and that's enough, no stability issues. The CPU-cooler is a Zalman VF900-CU. I do have extra case-fans in case needed though.

I think that the modules you have is what I have also but it doesn't work with both modules on my machine.

khayoz 
Posted on 2-Oct-2015 1:59:34
#13 ]

@hotrod

Yeah I got a Zalman too!

I´ve tried a lot of RAM pairs and the only one´s that work for me is the RAM´s in my last post, very picky board the XE..

hotrod 
Posted on 2-Oct-2015 6:32:01
#14 ]
Elite Member

@khayoz

I tried with the two modules and with just one of them, either of them, it works fine but I just couldn't get it to work rilably with two.

Also you need a SII-controllercard to use DMA + ethernet and I also got a USB-hub but other than that I haven't had any issues and with 4.1 FE it works really well and it worked well with 4.1.6 too.

hotrod 
Posted on 2-Oct-2015 11:38:10
#15 ]
Elite Member

@PhantomInterrogative

The SAM 460 with a fast G4 would be a better option you think? Just asking out of curiousity. The CPU and for the none-lite version lacking a SATA2-driver with DMA-support has been the big let-downs IMO.

PR 
Posted on 2-Oct-2015 18:35:33
#16 ]

I wonder like anyone mostly how there was no G5 and in the future the more slower cpu:s in sams but in Amigaworld we allways go the other way than a pc..

I think the XE is a keeper as got it reliable.

pavlor 
Posted on 2-Oct-2015 19:47:38
#17 ]
Elite Member

@PR

Quote:
I wonder like anyone mostly how there was no G5 and in the future the more slower cpu:s in sams

Motherboard design is much easier with SoC(s) (like 440EP) than with CPU+bridges/memory controllers/etc.

danwood 
Posted on 5-Oct-2015 11:26:05
#18 ]

@hotrod

Quote:
I take it that you're tired of it? Is it just general stability that's the issue or something in particular?

Yeah pretty much, it's just so unpredictable. Sometimes it can stay up all day, then other times it will lock up seconds after it's booted. It always feels like a ticking timebomb using it, you're just waiting for it to lock-up at any second, or any time you open a new program.

Quote:

There has been driver-issues IIRC but that was a long time ago. I'm not using it very much these days but when I do it really is stable. I got the cheapest 430W PSU that I could find and it works well. I had a 512MB RAM module in it but then I bought 2x1GB RAM modules of the exact same brand and model that some had reported as working in pair but it did not on my machine but one module works very well.

Maybe clean it and do a fresh install of 4.1 FE? Tinker some with it. If your issues remains ask at Hyperions site or here for support. It's a shame if it doesn't get used in case there are no serious issues.

Oh I have many times, I've pretty much replaced every on-board component with PCI cards, and tried many different variants and cards. Spent a fortune on replacement RAM (ECC ram is expensive), replaced hard disks, done fresh installs.

I did get 4.1FE all set up, then had a lock up and it corrupted my System partition after I'd spent all day setting it up, so it's been unplugged ever since. Just seemed like I was spending 99% of my time with it trying to fix it and make it work rather than enjoying using it.

Maybe it could be a CPU issue? That's about the only thing I've not touched (I was advised against removing it as it breaks easy?), but to be honest MorphOS on a G5 has been my main "NG" machine for the last 4 years and suits my needs just fine, I don't really miss OS4 anyway.

PR 
Posted on 5-Oct-2015 12:01:50
#19 ]

@pavlor

Thank You. Everyday a bit wiser. Now that we are at it. What do You think of putting an 800Mhz back to 933?

Worked well before. Then I changed the 100 or so pins module from another XE as it had a real good cooler installed. It was too heavy in weight. Well now everything is repaired including some mb components.

Riskin it all or let it be? The cooling is even better now done by PRofessionals.

Hypex 
Posted on 5-Oct-2015 15:37:53
#20 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

I don't think you can beat the AmigaOne XE. I still use it as my main machine even after all this time. That may not be the case if you could easily transfer your system to another machine.

The AmigaOne XE was a like a trailblazer for all machines that came after it. It was exciting back then when it came out. And being one of the first machines to run OS4 made it that special something.

It also came out in another world. And for this reaosn I think it is the best OS4 hardware to date on a cost basis. Compared to what was out there. Back then the average PC was running about a Ghz or so and a Mac used the same CPU. The XE was good value for money for what it was.

Today this is no more. Apple killed off PPC. And PPC hasn't advanced very far since. Look at the first Sam, it almost ran at half the speed of the XE and without AltiVec. Even if it had DDR RAM. The next model matched the Mhz and the one after broke the Ghz barrier. But even this was half the speed of the last PPC Mac ten years ago. And the X1000, it just doesn't compare for value as much as the XE, for the price it should be a lot faster. It barely touches a G5. All in all, pathetic!

The AmigaOne XE must be the best value OS4 machine of all time!

And UAE-JIT, there should be a X1000 port. But everytime I test it just crashes on my Mac. Funny if it can't run AB3D. But why did they make a 3d game without RTG support?

Last edited by Hypex on 05-Oct-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle