Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 135 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  18 mins ago
 Frank:  25 mins ago
 OlafS25:  25 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  45 mins ago
 MickJT:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 outlawal2:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 AndreasM:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 sibbi:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 saimo:  2 hrs 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  AmigaOne X5000 News Update
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
klx300r 
Re: AmigaOne X5000 News Update
Posted on 3-Oct-2015 21:23:55
#41 ]
Elite Member

congrats again to A-Eon for the successful completion of the successor to the A1-X1000! More REAL NEW hardware for our favourite OS is aweosme news

I use my X1000 everyday and never once regretted selling my Samflex@800 to get it! Now both AmigaOS and MorphOS have a solid standard future platform to build on

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Posted on 3-Oct-2015 21:27:50
#42 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
that enable to access physical memory above the (normal) 4GB limit.

And that is most important part.

Quote:
They also put again the "One" word with the same font size used for "Amiga".

They use one colour for "Amiga" and "X5000" and other for "One". New logo looks good and is really clever: embracing both distinct AmigaOne brand and Amiga heritage.

Last edited by pavlor on 03-Oct-2015 at 09:28 PM.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 3-Oct-2015 23:20:58
#43 ]

@iggy

Hi Jim,

I meant the invalid domain (www.a-eon/) in A-Eon's facebook posting. No pages will ever exist at that address.

cdimauro 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 5:35:24
#44 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:
that enable to access physical memory above the (normal) 4GB limit.

And that is most important part.

I have nothing to say if the o.s. uses internally such mechanism to implement the Ram Disk, caching filesystem blocks, putting some (private) structures away from the precious 2GB address space (to free some space here).

However, if you expose a public API and force developers to use such crap, well, I totally disagree because it's an anachronistic mechanism which goes in the exact opposite direction of the Amiga heritage that you often recall, which gave us a fully linear address space with no "8-bit-like" memory banks switching.

We made jokes of PCs because 8086 had segmentation, and even harder ones because of the EMS memory expansion which is... based exactly on the same mechanism of extended memory objects.

Instead of putting dirty patches over an old and 32-bit strict o.s., it's better to move to a 64-bit one. Look at the calendar: in less than 2 months the 2016 arrives...
Quote:
Quote:
They also put again the "One" word with the same font size used for "Amiga".

They use one colour for "Amiga" and "X5000" and other for "One". New logo looks good and is really clever: embracing both distinct AmigaOne brand and Amiga heritage.

I saw. It's an interesting expedient. But still the Amiga is not alone, and the computer is an "AmigaOS" one.

pavlor 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 7:32:34
#45 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
Instead of putting dirty patches over an old and 32-bit strict o.s., it's better to move to a 64-bit one. Look at the calendar: in less than 2 months the 2016 arrives...

And lose all compatibility?

Quote:
I saw. It's an interesting expedient. But still the Amiga is not alone, and the computer is an "AmigaOS" one.

Exactly as it should be.

Overflow 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 7:36:15
#46 ]

@pavlor

You cant hold on to compatability forever.

Even many programs that worked on A500 doesnt work on A1200, so nothing new per see.

If you want AOS to be a OS alternative for the future, then performance is a big issue.
Compatability thru emulation

cdimauro 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 7:40:10
#47 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:

And lose all compatibility?

Yes! (FS|Win)UAE is here for the legacy stuff, and provides a good enough integration with the host o.s., in order to share some resources.

Much more can be done, but of course it requires more effort, which can be leveraged if all post-Amiga devs join the forces at least for this purpose, which brings A LOT of benefits for all post-Amiga o.ses.

pavlor 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 7:52:47
#48 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
Yes! (FS|Win)UAE is here for the legacy stuff, and provides a good enough integration with the host o.s., in order to share some resources.

I see you can´t understand very reason of OS4/MorphOS existence: bring new features without losing to much from the past.

If you interrupt that link to Amiga past, you may well use any other host OS with UAE (like you do now). Why maintain own out-dated OS then?

Quote:
which can be leveraged if all post-Amiga devs join the forces at least for this purpose

Time to join the forces? Oh no, not again...

Ask Olaf, how hard is to get even minimal cooperation from Red and Blue camps. They hate each other vigorously.

cdimauro 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 8:07:22
#49 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:

I see you can´t understand very reason of OS4/MorphOS existence: bring new features without losing to much from the past.

MorphOS will do this step. Think about it...
Quote:
If you interrupt that link to Amiga past, you may well use any other host OS with UAE (like you do now). Why maintain own out-dated OS then?

I understand it if your only goal is to run only legacy Amiga 68K apps.

However I use AROS (but the same can be applied to AmigaOS4 and MorphOS) because I want to enjoy a different o.s. experience which is clearly linked to the Amiga past through the Amiga o.s. infrastructure.

I already have Windows 10 for the "daily needs", while AROS is for fun.
Quote:
Quote:
which can be leveraged if all post-Amiga devs join the forces at least for this purpose

Time to join the forces? Oh no, not again...

Ask Olaf, how hard is to get even minimal cooperation from Red and Blue camps. They hate each other vigorously.

I know it, but DOpus and OWB show that for big and important projects a collaboration can be made, and it worked at the end.

Enhancing UAE/Janus and integrating it on MorphOS/x64 and, eventually, in AmigaOS4/(PowerPC64 | any-other-64-bit-architecture) is another project which is even more important.

All IMO, of course.

pavlor 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 8:19:57
#50 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
MorphOS will do this step. Think about it...

Once done, we will see both pros and cons of such move...

Quote:
I understand it if your only goal is to run only legacy Amiga 68K apps.

Quote:
However I use AROS (but the same can be applied to AmigaOS4 and MorphOS) because I want to enjoy a different o.s. experience which is clearly linked to the Amiga past through the Amiga o.s. infrastructure.

I use AROS too, but my user experience is hindered by lack of compatibility (speaking about AROS "x86").

Quote:
I already have Windows 10 for the "daily needs", while AROS is for fun.

That is exactly, what I wrote: your needs aren´t the same as these of current OS4/MorphOS users. They want (at least some) "daily needs" and fun together.

Quote:
I know it, but DOpus and OWB show that for big and important projects a collaboration can be made, and it worked at the end.

Two applications (although important) can´t be compared to new OS developement. Here you would fight with overgrown egos...

OlafS25 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 8:44:52
#51 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

regarding MorphOS "NG" we will see how it will look like (in some years). It will break compatiblity not only to 32bit 68k world (you need UAE) but also to existing MorphOS. One of the MorphOS devs admitted that (except 68k via emulation) no 3rd party software will work on it (and because they want to implement modern features like MP and SMP and 64bit I assume that no existing MorphOS software will work by simply recompiling). They also want to drop legacy concepts like datatypes and only offer wrappers for the old APIs. If all that becomes real it is for me nothing more than a tech demo with no software. There is no huge activity on MorphOS regarding 3rd parties right now and then they even split their small platform. To me it is a risky bet.

regarding cooperation I would use the famous "Oh No!" from Lemmings

The fanboys in the two communities and the OS devs really hate each other, even people later joining one of the two platforms are taking this over. Of course there are always some exceptions but overall. So no chance. Magellan and OWB are 3rd party software with common interest so some people joined (most not OS developers). On OS level I do not see that. I had discussions on morphzone recently trying to explain that the "red vs. blue" war finally harms everyone but I think it so deep now that people will never overcome that ever. Also basically all "NG" platforms are more and more heading in different directions so that at some point working together makes no sense anymore. I personal thought cooperation between MorphOS and AROS would have made sense (both share code, both have many components in common) but (besides MorphOS is simply the best and 10 years ahead why working together attitude in MorphOS camp) with "MorphOS NG" the common base will vanish. In my view MorphOS will not be "Amiga" anymore, at best "Amiga inspired". But there we will see...

Last edited by OlafS25 on 04-Oct-2015 at 08:49 AM.

duga 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 9:00:30
#52 ]

@CarasGhant

Quote:

CarasGhant wrote:
Well I'm done. Could never upgrade my SAM at those prices. One less OS4 user.

Then keep it. I'm sure it will get AmigaOS 4.2 support when it is eventually released.

umisef 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 10:22:38
#53 ]

@Rob

Quote:
So £426 cheaper than the base price for the X1000.

Actually, the exact same price the First Contact X1000 were announced at.

TrevorDick 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 10:33:09
#54 ]
Elite Member

@umisef

The X1000 price was without OS4 or sales tax IIRC.

TrevorD

Edit:

PS: I need to change my strap line, Posted on the AmigaOne X5000 using Odyssey

Last edited by TrevorDick on 04-Oct-2015 at 10:41 AM.

Vistaus 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 11:01:13
#55 ]

Why compatibility through emulation? You don't need emulation for that. Look at Haiku's experimental GCC4 branch. It uses a layer (which is not the same as an emulator) to run old GCC2 BeOS apps.

pavlor 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 11:13:06
#56 ]
Elite Member

@Vistaus

Such solution is not useable on "alien" CPU architecture.

Tuxedo 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 12:48:35
#57 ]
Elite Member

@TrevorDick

Hi Trevor!
I think X5000 project was quite interesting also if price was still a bit too high for "every" Amiga users...
However...any news on when we all can look at effective x5000 horse power with some test?

number6 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 13:04:57
#58 ]
Elite Member

@TrevorDick

Quote:
The X1000 price was without OS4 or sales tax IIRC.

The .pdf clearly says WITHOUT license, so you do recall correctly. heh.

Holiday season 2013 there was a limited time offer of a system with AmigaOS 4.1 at a lower price, but it's not fair to compare a launch price of one model with a short lived sales price of another.

Quote:
For a time limited period you can purchase a Nemo motherboard complete with AmigaOS 4.1 for £1366 or a complete AmigaONE X1000 system with AmigaOS 4.1 pre-installed from £1,707.50 (prices exclude shipping & VAT where applicable).

Source

kyle 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 13:11:58
#59 ]
Cult Member

@TrevorDick

Hi Trevor, it will be possible to preorder only Cyrus+, RAM and OS4 (and eventually a soundboard) instead of a complete system?

Hypex 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 15:31:27
#60 ]
Elite Member

@Aslak3

Quote:
It says 64 bit, and dual core, but we all know that under AmigaOS4 these things are inaccessible.

Depends how you look at it. Is the hardware 64 bit and dual core? Well yes the CPU is. And Linux can certainly run in that configuration. What OS4 is doing or not isn't bound by the hardware. But I hope they have picked hardware than OS4 can support. And do so in less than five years fully stable. Otherwise there is no point and the argument of it being built for OS4 will be false. You don't get hardware built for an OS without drivers and claim it is designed for that OS while charging a fortune unless you really wanna piss off your consumers and drive them out. I may be a bit harsh here but I think we need to look at the facts.

For example, for years it was said that Macs were expensive bacuse they used this exotic PowerPC. So what happens when they shift to Intel? The prices are still expensive and the hardware still limited in some Apple way!

I also hear, at least in my club, talk that PPC CPUs aren't expensive and available. But when they end up on OS4 boards somehow they are expensive and rare.

Last edited by Hypex on 04-Oct-2015 at 03:35 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle