Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 131 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

cdimauro

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 cdimauro:  30 secs ago
 retrofaza:  27 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 Seiya:  4 hrs 30 mins ago
 matthey:  4 hrs 51 mins ago
 Rob:  6 hrs 2 mins ago
 vox:  6 hrs 6 mins ago
 kolla:  7 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  WinUAE OS41 FE
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
AlexC 
Re: WinUAE OS41 FE
Posted on 21-Nov-2015 8:51:09
#61 ]

@1Mouse

The best way to get help might be to paste a copy of your WinUAE config file somewhere as it's difficult to guess what could be wrong without it.
The DX9 error sounds like a wrong setting, it isn't OS4-specific.

AmigaOne XE/X1000/X5000/UAE-PPC OS4 laptop/X-10 Home Automation

Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Posted on 21-Nov-2015 8:52:08
#62 ]
Elite Member

@AlexC

Quote:
Now if there's a way to emulate the zorram or use the swap position is really like to know how!

OS4.1+ uses Z3 RAM automaticaly as SWAP partition (check your startup-sequence and consult your install guide - proper words after bootloader are explained there). However, SWAP doesn´t work reliably (at least for me) = OS freezes quite often in low memory situations.

Note: If you installed DiskImage.device, uninstall this "monster" (eats 5 MB RAM!!!!).

Quote:
The Picasso4 emulation limits the resolution but it works well enough as the OS uses main RAM when the 4mb run out.

Speed tip: Uncheck CirrusGD5446.chip in Compatibility prefs.
Note about higher and lower resolutions: Usual way in OS4 to create new resolutions are tooltypes of monitor file (can be changed also in ScreenMode prefs). However, OS4 refuses to use some resolutions this way (very low: 320x200 or very high: eg. 1680x1050 16 bit - you may create these in Picasso96Mode). You will gain best results with checking "Scale when smaller than display size setting" (WinUAE/RTG Board).

Quote:
I don't think they could even if they wanted to, because the Amiga agreement only covers PPC hardware.

Source for such claim?

Quote:
At best they can provide support for what exists in hardware form

Z3 RAM exists in hardware form.

cdimauro 
Posted on 21-Nov-2015 9:58:15
#63 ]
Elite Member

@AlexC

Quote:

AlexC wrote:
@cdimauro

Indeed, but in the context of OS4 only the PPC emulation is running full steam.

The other thread is nearly idle as the 68k "CPU" is stopped, so if that same thread also handles RTG and chipset emulation, it only uses a small fraction of the CPU cycles available on that core.

But that's a very good thing, because the PowerPC core runs at full speed, whereas the 68K one has to deal with the chipset.

That's why WinUAE's 68K JIT (no OS4 & PowerPC, to be clear) cannot get the best results for pure CPU performance: emulating the chipset is a big constraint.

In short: it's a Very Good Thing that the PowerPC emulation runs alone on a proper core.
Quote:
Emulating a 3D video card could make good use of a core and allow using Warp3D/MiniGL, I doubt the ATI R100/200 chipsets are simple enough to emulate so the Voodoo card might be our best bet at this point.

According to Toni Wilen, the best choice is a Voodoo3 emulation.
Quote:
I'm not sure what else could be split up to take advantage of a multi-core host, but as it is now the upside is that it's possible to run multiple instances of WinUAE at full speed in parallel

Sure, but for OS4 the situation is very good, because it already uses two separated core, and what's more important is that one core is fully devoted to the PowerPC emulation.

Emulating OS3/68K is in a much worse position. Here a multicore approach can be done (e.g.: splitting 68K and chipset emulation), but at the cost of rewriting A LOT of code.

Since the current 68K JIT performance is quite good, it doesn't make sense to spend so much time in a big project like this.

AlexC 
Posted on 23-Nov-2015 14:56:34
#64 ]

@pavlor
Quote:
OS4.1+ uses Z3 RAM automaticaly as SWAP partition

You're right, I didn't realize that as I didn't see any effect on the free RAM figure from moving the Z3 RAM slider, other than preventing the machine from booting when selecting the Mediator PCI expansion.

After looking at the output of the "memstat" command I now see that both my 384MB Z3 RAM-based SWAP and also 512MB SWAP partition are used to page out "dormant" stuff, which I succesfully put to the test by filling up the RAM disk and then launching a bunch of programs.

For maximum performance I've now set the PCI board to G-REX, with RTL8029 network, and FM801 sound (AHI driver wasn't on the F.E. CD), although I can't tell if it offers any advantage over the Toccata card emulation.

As for the resolution, I can't get beyond 1280x720 in 24bit with the 4MB limitation, but the fullscreen scaling looks very sharp on my 15.6" 4K panel when setting the UAE output to 3840x2160 and ScreenMode prefs to 1280x720.

Quote:
Speed tip: Uncheck CirrusGD5446.chip in Compatibility prefs

I suspect that the JIT was disabled on that file for a reason, but it seems to be working with the JIT as I was able to run all the SysSpeed Intuition and Graphics tests, and gfxbench2d. In SysSpeed I got 5-10% faster results without JIT while in gfxbench2d I got 1% faster results with JIT
<

Quote:
Source for such claim?

That's what I remember reading in the "agreement" released during the AInc lawsuit, unless the settlement lifted the PPC constraint. Number6 would know exactly which document that was, but it's a bit off topic anyway.

AmigaOne XE/X1000/X5000/UAE-PPC OS4 laptop/X-10 Home Automation

pavlor 
Posted on 23-Nov-2015 15:30:37
#65 ]
Elite Member

@AlexC

Quote:
I suspect that the JIT was disabled on that file for a reason, but it seems to be working with the JIT as I was able to run all the SysSpeed Intuition and Graphics tests, and gfxbench2d.

I´m runing OS4 Classic under WinUAE with JIT for CLGD5446 for more than year without any adverse effects. Speed improvement is noticeable eg. in Doom.

Quote:
That's what I remember reading in the "agreement" released during the AInc lawsuit

You mean this Agreement?

From side of Amiga.Inc, there is no limitation concerning CPU architecture.

number6 
Posted on 23-Nov-2015 15:39:33
#66 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor & @AlexC

Compilation reposted here to avoid polluting this thread any further

1Mouse 
Posted on 2-Dec-2015 21:55:03
#67 ]

@all

Thought I'd have another go at installing AOS 4.1 on my recently installed AF2016.

Trouble is I get an error message in an AmigaDOS window stating "BootFloppy:C/Assign failed returncode 20

ps I have some screen grabs but don't seem to be able to add them to my post

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

thellier 
Posted on 3-Dec-2015 9:19:20
#68 ]

@Hypex

>The other main problem is telling UAE to allocate up to 2GB for this extra memory. If the emulation only has 128MB

This part seems easy : 128 MB is simply defined in the config file so certainly can can be changed to 2048MB ===> of course it will not change the "OS not seeing it" problem

As I already said using Zorro3 Ram simply dont works (cause?) : the only way is changing the cyberstorm ram size where it is defined (?) inside the cyberstorm rom

A raw search for an ULONG value > 127.5 MB give only one occurence in this rom file
I have changed this ULONG value to 512MB but then the rom no more boots : checksum ?

Alain Thellier

Birbo 
Posted on 3-Dec-2015 10:00:14
#69 ]
Cult Member

@thellier

If it is checksum, you could try to use the same numbers in different order:

127.5 -> 512.7

Last edited by Birbo on 03-Dec-2015 at 10:01 AM.

cdimauro 
Posted on 6-Dec-2015 7:12:31
#70 ]
Elite Member

I don't think that seeking for ULONG values which reports the MBs works out.

I don't remember now, but may be that Zorro expansion cards store memory sizes in blocks of 64KB.

As I stated before, it's better to have a raw dump of the Zorro structures in order to see what is effectively exposed by cards, and then look at Cyberstorm ROM for the "guilty" one, and try to change it.

If a checksum is used to protect such structures, it has to be recalculated, of course.

1Mouse 
Posted on 6-Dec-2015 20:28:09
#71 ]

@all

With a little help from this thread, a lot of personal guess work and a great deal off assistance from Michael Trebilcock I now have an up and running OS4.1 emulated on my laptop.

YEAH

I just need to get a higher screen resolution, I've got 1024x768 but can't get any higher.

I have added higher resolutions but when selected my emulation window gets bigger but the Workbench screen within it stays at 1024x768.

Any ideas people?

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

1Mouse 
Posted on 6-Dec-2015 20:55:24
#72 ]

How to go about setting up wireless connection, help?

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

pavlor 
Posted on 7-Dec-2015 16:59:43
#73 ]
Elite Member

@1Mouse

Quote:
How to go about setting up wireless connection, help?

Simply install Ethernet driver in OS4 (Z2: A2065 from Aminet; PCI: Rtl8029 is on 4.1FE CD) and set A2065 (or Rtl8029) in WinUAE settings. OS4 then should use your wireless network. Note: network speed is limited by cca 1 MB/s.

pavlor 
Posted on 7-Dec-2015 17:08:04
#74 ]
Elite Member

@1Mouse

Quote:
I have added higher resolutions but when selected my emulation window gets bigger but the Workbench screen within it stays at 1024x768.

You need to set your screen mode in screenmode prefs (like on classic Amiga). Some modes must be created in Picasso96Mode to work (1680x1050 16 bit, or very low resolutions like 320x200). Note: 4 MB GFX RAM limit highest resolution: 1280x1024 in 24 bit, 1680x1050 in 16 bit etc.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle