Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 144 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  2 secs ago
 A1200:  22 mins ago
 OlafS25:  36 mins ago
 outlawal2:  56 mins ago
 AndreasM:  59 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 45 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  printer issues
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: printer issues
Posted on 21-Nov-2015 6:46:37
# ]

@broadblues

I checked the PrinterPS prefs once again and played with the settings some more.

I still had the problem of my prints being "compressed" and slightly shifted to the right.

It seems as if PrinterPS adds it's Dimension settings (left, right, top, bottom margin) to (at least, i think) AmiPDF's/GS's or the printer's internal margin setting (none of which i can change) and as such moves the text/picutre even further into the center of a page.

Setting all the margins to 0 in PrinterPS finally gives me a perfect print through AmiPDF.

Of course, everything else sent to PRT: will now print without margins
I guess i need to find a compromise.

Thanks for reminding me about PrinterPS.

One more point to check off of my todo list

Report this post  
broadblues 
Posted on 21-Nov-2015 13:31:25
#22 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Raziel

This is because AmiPDF scales the PDF to fit the print margins. This has advantages and disadvantges, but for printing docs that need accurate scaling, such as CD labels or covers for example, it's a right PITA.

There doesn't seem to be a non scaled option in AmiPDF.

So there two options.

1. Set PrinterPS: to passthrough (top left chooser on PrinterPS prefs) and print to Postscript in AmiPDF setting the output file as PRT: (requires testing just in case it still uses the margin settings, but it shouldn't)

2. Setup a print settings with no margins and one with margins for simple printing, and remeber to load the right one before printing.

Profile     Report this post  
StantheAmigaMan 
Posted on 21-Nov-2015 14:19:51
#23 ]

@Raziel

I can only blame my tiredness yesterday for missing that. I was so caught up in the crap I'm dealing with at work, details details details mind you, that I was looking for an OS4-specific version.

Trying that this morning :)

StantheAmigaMan 
Posted on 21-Nov-2015 15:18:58
#24 ]

@Raziel

I have partil success! I am able to print both through USB and network. Here's the current issue:

Anything fromthe web, be it text, graphics, webpages, whatever... is printed as PS, even when I set the PS level at 3 (I think it's a PCL 3 printer)

Printing from the CLI (ie, text files, directory listings, whatnot) print perfectly fine.

Any ideas?

Anonymous 
Posted on 21-Nov-2015 16:10:27
# ]

@StantheAmigaMan

Quote:

StantheAmigaMan wrote:
@Raziel

I have partil success! I am able to print both through USB and network. Here's the current issue:

Anything fromthe web, be it text, graphics, webpages, whatever... is printed as PS, even when I set the PS level at 3 (I think it's a PCL 3 printer)

Printing from the CLI (ie, text files, directory listings, whatnot) print perfectly fine.

Any ideas?

How do you print either way?

Webpages i.e., do you use the "Print" command from Odyssey?

And what command do you use to print from CLI?
copy "yourfile" PRT: ?

Both would print through PRT:, which means PostScript (if that is your driver) will kick in.
So if anything is wrong then you gotta check your driver settings.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 21-Nov-2015 16:26:03
# ]

@broadblues

Quote:

1. Set PrinterPS: to passthrough (top left chooser on PrinterPS prefs) and print to Postscript in AmiPDF setting the output file as PRT: (requires testing just in case it still uses the margin settings, but it shouldn't)

That doesn't work unfortunately.

Sending the stuff to PostScript (PS) and PRT: in AmiPDF brings back the netprinter crash.

This time with some more information from AmiPDF/GS

First i get a window telling me:

Error
Ghostscript interpreter exited: unknown error.

together with a console:

Ghostscript interpreter output
Error: /unregistered in --.type1execchar--
Operand stack:
65.8055 581.37 0.0 0.0 32 0.900138 0.0 ( Beitrittserkl\344rung) --dict:14/17(ro)(L)-- 66 B -string-
Execution stack:
%interp_exit .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- false 1 %stopped_push 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval-- %finish_show --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 4 6 8 --nostringval-- (gs_show_enum) %op_show_continue
Dictionary stack:
--dict:1123/1686(ro)(G)-- --dict:0/20(G)-- --dict:71/200(L)-- --dict:65/75(L)-- --dict:18/24(L)-- --dict:14/15(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Last OS error: Function not implemented
GPL Ghostscript 8.54: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1

on clicking close on the Error window another window opens:

AmiPDF
Error sending data to interpreter: pipe connection was broken

Actually the last error is quite common, getting this one a lot lately (since i made my printer work, that is)

Report this post  
broadblues 
Posted on 21-Nov-2015 16:40:50
#27 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@StantheAmigaMan

Quote:

If you are printing from Oddysey then it prints as Postscript, but you do not have postscript printer (PCL == Printer Command Langugae not PostScript.)

So you need to rasterise it with ghostscript, or save as PDF and print that from AmiPDF.

broadblues 
Posted on 21-Nov-2015 16:46:25
#28 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Raziel

What ahappens if you print to psotscript and save it to a file.

Then copy file that to PRT: ? (with pass through on).

The junk in the ghostscript output is probbaly just a consequence of the netprinter.device failing.

Did it (netprinter.device) DSI in the GrimReaper? How much stack is it using?

Anonymous 
Posted on 21-Nov-2015 16:50:42
# ]

@broadblues

Sorry, no crash of netprinter...i was too fast, it's just that it doesn't print that way

If i let it "print" Postscript from AmiPDF to a file once the file is finished AmiPDF is bringing the same error message up, so it's a fault in AmiPDF.

Copying that file to PRT: does nothing, printer receives data but doesn't start to print

Report this post  
broadblues 
Posted on 21-Nov-2015 16:59:33
#30 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Raziel

Quote:

Copying that file to PRT: does nothing, printer receives data but doesn't start to print

Possibly incomplete due to the error in ghostscript.

You puitting the blame on AmiPDF but it might equally be ghostscripts fault.

at a shell prompt try the following

GHOSTSCRIPT:gs -sDEVICE=pswrite -sOutputFile=ram:out.ps -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET fileyouwantoprint.pdf

Does it throw an error?

Anonymous 
Posted on 21-Nov-2015 18:32:28
# ]

@broadblues

Quote:

broadblues wrote:
@Raziel

Quote:

Possibly incomplete due to the error in ghostscript.

You puitting the blame on AmiPDF but it might equally be ghostscripts fault.

at a shell prompt try the following

GHOSTSCRIPT:gs -sDEVICE=pswrite -sOutputFile=ram:out.ps -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET fileyouwantoprint.pdf

Does it throw an error?

Nope, no error, file created in ram:

Trying to print that file through PRT: and Passthrough in a shell makes the printer blink (receive data, but nothing is printed, just as before)

Report this post  
StantheAmigaMan 
Posted on 21-Nov-2015 20:35:10
#32 ]

@Raziel

I use the print dialog from Odyssey and copy prt: from the command line. for text files, the CLI works. I try the PostScript driver and get mostly blank pages. Fortunately I can feed those back into the printer. Using the PhotoSmart driver simply gives me the PS data.

There has to be a way to get the OfficeJet 8610 to work with this computer. I don't want to abandon it so soon after I bought it. Should have done my homework, I suppose. I bought it specifically for the Amiga, thinking a PCL printer would work.

Anonymous 
Posted on 22-Nov-2015 7:37:19
# ]

@StantheAmigaMan

Quote:

StantheAmigaMan wrote:
@Raziel

I use the print dialog from Odyssey and copy prt: from the command line. for text files, the CLI works. I try the PostScript driver and get mostly blank pages. Fortunately I can feed those back into the printer. Using the PhotoSmart driver simply gives me the PS data.

There has to be a way to get the OfficeJet 8610 to work with this computer. I don't want to abandon it so soon after I bought it. Should have done my homework, I suppose. I bought it specifically for the Amiga, thinking a PCL printer would work.

Ok, first of all you can savely drop the PostScript driver and every setting that has to do with it.
Your printer doesn't speak that language, unfortunately.

Second, sending pure text to PRT: (from programs that doesn't change anything, like the CLI, NotePad, Multiview) should work with every printer that is properly connected, because it's just that (unformatted, unchanged ASCII text)

Doing that through Odyssey's print dialog does changes to the data, i'm afraid.
But it might give us a hint.

If you choose to print a website, check the little window that comes up.
It has a chooser gadget with PS Level, you can set it to either Level 2 or Level 3.
This might be the culprit as your printer doesn't understand Postscript.
Either way you can play with this setting and see if it makes a difference.
i.e. i'm getting a blank page with only the quoted text printed in the middle of the page when using PS Level: Level 3, as my printer is PostScript Level 2.
Quote:

This print job requires a PostScript Language Level 3 printer.

Which i find really conveniant.

Do you get such an error printout when using any of the settings?
I doubt it, because your printer doesn't speak PostScript and as such couldn't talk to Odyssey.

I don't really know, but you might be out of luck with direct printing from Odyssey through it's dialog (as long as you don't save your page and print it otherwise - once we're having your printer set up properly)
You can always write yourself an AREXX script that handles pages you want to print and does exactly what you want, i.e. send the data unchanged to PRT: or handle it otherwise.

You said the HP_Photosmart driver does "only" print the PS data...if you print through PRT:.
That seems normal as we already settled that your printer doesn't know PS

At least you can print text, graphics and formatted stuff might not be possible

Looking at the wiki page for PCL isn't really helping either
Quote:

- PCL 3 was introduced in 1984 with the original HP LaserJet.[1] This added support for bitmap fonts and increased the maximum resolution to 300 dpi. Other products with PCL 3 support were the HP DeskJet ink jet printer, HP 2932 series matrix printers and HP RuggedWriter 2235 matrix printers. PCL 3 is still in use on several impact printers which replaced the obsolete HP models.

- PCL 3GUI is used in the HP DesignJet and some DeskJet series printers. It uses a compressed raster format that is not compatible with standard PCL 3.

The HP_Photosmart driver does only know PCL3.

Sorry

Report this post  
broadblues 
Posted on 22-Nov-2015 13:33:08
#34 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@StantheAmigaMan

Okay it seems you have at least got connectivity now as you can print plain text.

So how to procede now:

Go to the printergfx tab of print prefs. Set the size ot 100mm by 100mm (this step is just save ink while testing, so you can ignore it if you like).

1. Try and print a picture from MultiView.

Load any small picture, into MultiView, press RAmiga P or choose the print option from the menu.

Success? Junk ?

2. Assuming success.

To print from Odyssey, you cannot use Odyssey print out direct as it only does postscript printing so set the output (second row in the Print requester) to a file (ram:odyssey.ps might be good choice).

Print a simple page.

Open the output file in sys:Utilities/AmiGS/AmiGS, click on print icon and ensure "Workbench Printer" shows as selected in the printe setup window.

Press Print (bottom left).

Hopefully a beatiful picture of a webpage outputs....

Last edited by broadblues on 22-Nov-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Last edited by broadblues on 22-Nov-2015 at 01:33 PM.

outrun1978 
Posted on 22-Nov-2015 17:59:37
#35 ]
Cult Member

@broadblues @Raziel

Many thanks for your suggestions and help of types of printers to go for.

This weekend I have treated myself to a HP ENVY 5534 All in one Printer. The printer appears to work with the Photosmart PCL3 driver which is on OS4depot and I can confirm that I am able to print on this from the shell, from Notepad and from Multiview. I can also print off emails from Simplemail

I will be seeing whatelse i can try and print off on this printer!!

StantheAmigaMan 
Posted on 22-Nov-2015 20:15:11
#36 ]

@outrun1978

I was looking at one of these myself. If I can't get GhostScript to work, I'll use this one just as a USB for the Amiga, wireless for Mac/PC.

StantheAmigaMan 
Posted on 22-Nov-2015 21:16:46
#37 ]

@broadblues

printing from MultiView gave me something the same size as the picture I was trying to print but interspersed with random black pixels. TRrying the GhostScript option now. if that doesn't work I've got my eye on an HP Envy 5534 for next paycheck :D

outrun1978 
Posted on 22-Nov-2015 21:28:03
#38 ]
Cult Member

@StantheAmigaMan

Been spending most of the evening trying out different things. I am having a little trouble with printing direct from AmiPDF using Workbench Printer in so much as it does nothing.

Websites also do not allow me to print directly to the printer as this printer doesnt support Postscript.

However as the HP ENVY does have e-print cloud function, you can save the web pages as a PDF and send these via email to the printer which is very quick at printing off.

StantheAmigaMan 
Posted on 22-Nov-2015 21:52:40
#39 ]

@outrun1978

yeah I found that out the hard way. Tried saving as a PDF and using GhostScript to print to my 8610 through GhostScript, and it forced a reboot. Now, I can't boot again. Im getting the countdown.. 2 then goes to 1. I tried rebooting and unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back in, I still can't boot.
I'm beginning to think someone has it in for me. If I can't get a good office suite for the new systems there's no point in getting the printer to work with it anyway.

I'll keep trying though,

broadblues 
Posted on 22-Nov-2015 22:56:44
#40 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@StantheAmigaMan

Random black pixels. But basically the picture you wanted to rint?

Photo or scan, so we can see whats up perhaps?

What exact combination are you now using?

What settings in Printer Prefs ?

No point going to ghostscript till we get this step worked out.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle