Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
30 crawler(s) on-line.
 72 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Tpod:  15 mins ago
 number6:  49 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 tekmage:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 amig_os:  2 hrs 48 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 54 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  Amiga OS 3.1 Source code leaked yesterday
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
PosterThread
kolla 
Re: Amiga OS 3.1 Source code leaked yesterday
Posted on 3-Jan-2016 19:02:23
#161 ]
Elite Member

@number6

I am more interested in what implications there are for Amiga developers in general. Potentially now every "cosmos" can look at sources when they develop OS component replacements and put them on Aminet. Again, personally I think it is a great thing that the sources are available for study, it should have happened a heck lot sooner, like... 20 years ago ;)

Last edited by kolla on 03-Jan-2016 at 07:02 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 3-Jan-2016 19:07:40
#162 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

as long as they only look and not talk about it...

it is not legal in any case. And they should stay away from Aros or MorphOS then

wawa 
Posted on 3-Jan-2016 23:34:25
#163 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
as long as they only look and not talk about it... it is not legal in any case. And they should stay away from Aros or MorphOS then

no matter what, now there may always be an argument at hand: "but they looked at the stolen sources!". so go figure, whom this whole accident could serve best.

OlafS25 
Posted on 3-Jan-2016 23:57:17
#164 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

this person would need to proof that... and the claims were always there and will always be there

number6 
Posted on 5-Jan-2016 15:54:02
#165 ]
Elite Member

@thread

I'm a bit late getting to this, nevertheless:

AmigaOS 3.1 source code leak - official statement

and further discussion:

AmigaOS 3.1 source code leak - official statement

pavlor 
Posted on 5-Jan-2016 15:57:32
#166 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Comments of "friends of AmigaOS" are priceless.

wawa 
Posted on 5-Jan-2016 16:10:37
#167 ]
Elite Member

interestingly the german note to the "official statement" on a-news contains a reference absent elsewhere, even on their own english page:
http://amiga-news.de/de/news/AN-2016-01-00017-DE.html

Quote:
Wie verschiedene Medien zum Jahresende berichteten, kam es im Rahmen des 32. Chaos Communication Congress des Chaos Computer Club zur Verbreitung von Quellkodes des AmigaOS 3.1 von 1994. Im Folgenden lesen Sie unsere Übersetzung der heute erfolgten offiziellen Stellungnahme von Hyperion Entertainment.

according to this leak has taken place while a congress of ccc. i wonder if the members are now to seek asylum in some non aligned embassy.

Last edited by wawa on 05-Jan-2016 at 04:11 PM.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 5-Jan-2016 16:42:32
#168 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Quote:

Interestingly the german note to the "official statement" on a-news contains a reference absent elsewhere, even on their own english page

The German version was provided by Hyperion, we just published it (edit: no it wasn't, see below).

Not referring to the CCC in the English version makes sense, IMHO - most non-German people wouldn't know what the "Chaos Communication Congress" is (Europe's biggest hacker meeting with 12.000 attendees).

The leak did happen during CCC, A4 sheets with the IP adress of the FTP server (one of the computers at the conference) were posted to various walls and columns at the event building.

(edit: sorry - the German translation was ours, I just got confused since Costel linked to it in some German forum as if it was official).

Last edited by cgutjahr on 05-Jan-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Last edited by cgutjahr on 05-Jan-2016 at 05:46 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 5-Jan-2016 16:59:13
#169 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:
The leak did happen during CCC, A4 sheets with the IP adress of the FTP server (one of the computers at the conference) were posted to various walls and columns at the event building.

amusing.. was there any statement as to, for what purpose was this done? i mean, you dont post some random leaked irrelevant software source and encourage people to download it for some transcendent reason, do you? and especially ccc understands themselves as an in many aspects enganged organisation.. or rather community? anyway, very curious..

Last edited by wawa on 05-Jan-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Last edited by wawa on 05-Jan-2016 at 04:59 PM.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 5-Jan-2016 17:20:33
#170 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Quote:

was there any statement as to, for what purpose was this done?

They're hackers Having the code available might be fun for some people - just to see how things were done 20, 30 years ago. And even if not: "information needs to be free" and all that...

Quote:

post some random leaked irrelevant software source

The Amiga was big in Germany. And while most of these people are too young to have lived the experience, they certainly know it as one of the computers that started the whole "computers in your home" thing.

One of the talks at the conference (archived here) was "The Ultimate Amiga 500 talk", discussing the architecture of the A500 and the techniques used to program it. So it's not like they think it's totally irrelevant.

Last edited by cgutjahr on 05-Jan-2016 at 05:21 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 5-Jan-2016 17:31:45
#171 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:
The Amiga was big in Germany.

no crap?! here in berlin or in poland barely anyone of my generation and in my friends circle knows what it was, not to mention younger people. and i lived long enough to witness amiga, pc xt and sinclair spectrum48k myself. people insistently mistake it for atari, perhaps because it was cooler, more scenic, or maybe simply because all they recall in this context is atr.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 5-Jan-2016 17:44:10
#172 ]
Cult Member

Btw., I think the two relevant part in Hyperion's statement are these:

Quote:

Hyperion Entertainment holds an exclusive, world-wide, perpetual source-code license to the intellectual property of AmigaOS 3.1 [...]

They're omitting an important part here: "without prejudice to any Existing Licensing Agreements".

Cloanto is the party actually distributing (modified) physical and digital copies of both Kickstart and Workbench 3.1, so there is not much "exclusiveness" to Hyperion's rights at all. One would also assume that this leak might be a lot more of a threat to Cloanto's business than to Hyperion's for the reasons already mentioned (don't get my wrong: still not much of a threat though).

The other relevant part:

Quote:

which contractually requires Hyperion

The settlement agreement actually states that [The Amiga parties] "grant Hyperion the right and unconditional permission to enforce Hyperion's [...] license to the software". I don't see how that constitutes a "contractual requirement" rather than a privilege.

I don't think this statement is directed at us, or at evil software pirates. They're just stating "THIS SHIT IS OURS, BITCH" so no other Amiga business gets confused as to who's in charge here.

Last edited by cgutjahr on 05-Jan-2016 at 09:22 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 5-Jan-2016 17:50:07
#173 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:
One would also assume that this leak might be a lot more of a threat to Cloanto's business than to Hyperion's for the reasons already mentioned (don't get my wrong: still not much of a threat though).

how does this assumption fit with the fact that cloanto participated in founding of aros kickstart replacement?

Quote:
They're just stating "THIS SHIT IS OURS, BITCH" so no other Amiga business gets confused as to who's in charge here.

what amiga business?

cgutjahr 
Posted on 5-Jan-2016 17:50:28
#174 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Quote:

no crap?! here in berlin or in poland barely anyone of my generation and in my friends circle knows what it was

Really? I'm 42 years old, and many of my male friends had an A500, or know somebody who had one, or wanted to replace their 64 with one.

I have no doubt a very large percentage of tech minded people (like the CCC crowd) are well aware of what an A500 was.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 5-Jan-2016 17:53:30
#175 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Quote:

what amiga business?

Cloanto? A-EON? Phoenixkonsole? Or wannabe Amiga businesses like the hilarious italien guy with the PET smartphone? CUSA? Whatever trademark rapist comes next?

Quote:

how does this assumption fit with the fact that cloanto participated in founding of aros kickstart replacement?

Like I said: not much of a threat at all, IMHO - but it sounds a little less ridicolous than Hyperion claiming this leaks threatens their business.

pavlor 
Posted on 5-Jan-2016 17:58:23
#176 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:
The settlement agreement actually states that

Don´t forget beginning of said paragraph:

Hyperion shall inform the Amiga Parties of any infringements of the Software and the Licensed Marks that come to Hyperion´s attention.

Quote:
They're just stating "THIS SHIT IS OURS, BITCH" so no other Amiga business gets confused as to who's in charge here.

This may be true.

pavlor 
Posted on 5-Jan-2016 17:59:04
#177 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
here in berlin or in poland barely anyone of my generation and in my friends circle knows what it was, not to mention younger people.

Late 80s or early 90s? Great difference.

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Jan-2016 18:13:59
#178 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

shall inform is shall inform

not "forced to act"

wawa 
Posted on 5-Jan-2016 18:22:44
#179 ]
Elite Member

im few years older than you, cg, maybe the difference is that i spent my teenage youth in poland, where you actually only could read about an amiga in the papers. but then even at the beginning of the nineties i knew only few amiga users, most of whom already then was convinced pc was a better choice. other than that i visited once a club consisting of rather odd looking elderly people and seen a freaky meeting in karlsruhe, but today i dont really know any amiga fan face to face. i know there are some in this city and i once seen few of them, but they are quite an endangered species it seems.

Last edited by wawa on 05-Jan-2016 at 06:22 PM.

pavlor 
Posted on 5-Jan-2016 18:25:22
#180 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
shall inform is shall inform

That means Hyperion must act (inform) by terms of Agreement, so it is really "forced to act" (not that Hyperion wouldn´t act even without such obligation ).

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle