Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

zipper

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  2 mins ago
 OldFart:  12 mins ago
 VooDoo:  18 mins ago
 matthey:  24 mins ago
 pavlor:  38 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 gryfon:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 51 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  Amiga OS 3.1 Source code leaked yesterday
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 )
PosterThread
bison 
Re: Amiga OS 3.1 Source code leaked yesterday
Posted on 18-Jan-2016 17:30:07
#321 ]
Elite Member

@Jupp3

Quote:
Another good choice might be Lua, which already has great support in MorphOS.

Lua would be an excellent choice, since it is already widely used as an embedded scripting language.

@Signal

Interesting article; thanks for the link.

Profile     Report this post  
iggy 
Posted on 18-Jan-2016 17:46:44
#322 ]

@SHADES

Quote:
Lost Bowie, lost Lemmie, and now this...

Ah, wish you had not reminded me about that.
First Tabors abysmal specs, them Ian Killmister dies, and now the benchmarks of the X5000 are less than stellar.
What next!?

My sense of the Universal Scheme of Things is totally fubared.

cdimauro 
Posted on 22-Jan-2016 21:22:55
#323 ]
Elite Member

@all: the problem of LUA is that it's a very simple language, with a few constructs and libraries.

It's good if you want to make some small scripts, it's very easy to embedded (and to port to other o.ses too), and it's very fast for being a dynamic language.

But if you want a more expressive language, with a huge standard library, and an extremely vast third-party library & support, I think that no other dynamic language is better than Python.

Nowadays there are many languages, and it's easy to create new ones. But I think that, as coder, I cannot examine and embrace every new "cool" language which comes. I spend time to acquire knowledge about a language and its libraries, write code, enter the language "philosophy" and, much important, to... produce code. I cannot and I don't want to change the "wheel" every a while.

That's why I decided to stick with a language: Python. It's a very good compromise for what I need, and I feel much comfortable writing code with it.

Only a concrete revolution can change my decision.

My 2 cents.

ne_one 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 3:03:17
#324 ]
Cult Member

@bison

Quote:
But this is all dreaming. I'm working on one small piece of this, and it will probably take most of this year to complete.

When you add up a bunch of small pieces it's amazing what you end up with.

Even extracting lint out of one's navel is progress compared to other initiatives.

Last edited by ne_one on 23-Jan-2016 at 03:06 AM.

BoingBear 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 5:25:39
#325 ]

@cdimauro

Quote:

cdimauro wrote:
@all: the problem of LUA is that it's a very simple language, with a few constructs and libraries.

It's good if you want to make some small scripts, it's very easy to embedded (and to port to other o.ses too), and it's very fast for being a dynamic language.

But if you want a more expressive language, with a huge standard library, and an extremely vast third-party library & support, I think that no other dynamic language is better than Python.

Nowadays there are many languages, and it's easy to create new ones. But I think that, as coder, I cannot examine and embrace every new "cool" language which comes. I spend time to acquire knowledge about a language and its libraries, write code, enter the language "philosophy" and, much important, to... produce code. I cannot and I don't want to change the "wheel" every a while.

That's why I decided to stick with a language: Python. It's a very good compromise for what I need, and I feel much comfortable writing code with it.

Only a concrete revolution can change my decision.

My 2 cents.

That is the same of anyone who spends time learning one way of doing things, when there are many different methods to accomplish the same result (or similar results) and the learning curve is high, or long. Just like people who learn one CAD program, or Video Editing program, or Image Editing program. Once they are familiar with all the tools of one program, they are very hesitant to switch to something else, unless it is clearly superior and offers something that their current choice does not have.

pavlor 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 19:27:28
#326 ]
Elite Member

Looking at this post, someone is using leaked source... Mixing stable V40/44/45 and beta "V42" components is not wise idea.

ne_one 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 21:58:59
#327 ]
Cult Member

@pavlor

It's pretty entertaining though.

It just reinforces my belief that the open source route (illicit or otherwise) will result in progress.

Why not simply formalize the release and allow it to be used legitimately?

pavlor 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 22:02:38
#328 ]
Elite Member

@ne_one

I don´t think anyone will really improve leaked source code. They will only use available components and behave like (nominally) higher version is better than V40 tested by years of use. Legal aspect aside, such OS (V40/44/45 + V42) could end in unrepairable mess.

ne_one 
Posted on 24-Jan-2016 5:48:44
#329 ]
Cult Member

@pavlor

It may not be productive, but it does demonstrate that people can show initiative when they feel inclined.

This code has been floating around for years so I can't see it becoming disruptive.

My point moreover, is that some elements of the OS should/should have been made public to prevent situations like this from happening in the first place.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle