Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 177 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  18 mins ago
 Rob:  38 mins ago
 OlafS25:  42 mins ago
 zipper:  45 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 Luc:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 35 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 37 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Is it worth buying an AmigaOne 500 at this time?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
slygon 
Re: Is it worth buying an AmigaOne 500 at this time?
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 16:14:36
#41 ]

Thanks for the additional info!

Yea, it is funny the MorphOS vs. AmigaOS, and in some cases vs. AROS crowds... I guess one nice thing about not having a huge emotional or financial investment either way makes this easier for me.... :)

While all of these flavors are hobby systems, I do believe the user base would grow if you could actually buy systems! MorphOS is fairly easy... but you have to buy used gear.... but at least it is cheap so far.... Even AROS, being X86, you would think would be a piece of cake.... but it isn't... at least not to run it natively.... I run it just fine in VMWare, but with no 3D graphics and some stability issues....

I would like a shinny new Amiga.... just for fun... so I hope the new systems come out soon, and with enough supply that I can grab one!

-Slygon

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 16:16:45
#42 ]
Elite Member

@number6

for completeness this:
http://www.aros-exec.org

and the most popular X86 Aros distribution:
http://vmwaros.blogspot.de/

and a combination of linux and aros:
http://www.aeros-os.org/

and of course mine for 68k:
http://www.aros-platform.de

iggy 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 16:19:18
#43 ]

@slygon

Quote:
while technically the customer is not always right, you should always do your best, within reason

Sorry for the distraction from the topic you intended to address.
And far be it from me to defend Hyperion (that would be a bit WEIRD).

I think you are right to delay your decision.
I have almost bought a SAM460CR myself, but the lack of built-in sound puts me off.
Its not a bad system for OS4, but Tabor may be its equal (hard to tell how much the floating point issue will impact that).

The X5000 is an ideal solution IF you have the funds for that kind of thing.

Frankly, to quote George Harrison 'It's all up to what you value...".

OlafS25 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 16:19:49
#44 ]
Elite Member

@slygon

to be honest neither PPC based hardware or X86 is true amiga for me

For me 68k rulez

So FPGA based hardware (Vampire/Apollo) is future and amiga

iggy 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 16:22:32
#45 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:
I studied Marketing

Me too (part of my Business curriculum).

I know the drill.

Rule 1) the customers is always right.
Rule 2) if that is wrong, see rule 1.

I'm surprised that more customer service representatives don't jump out of high buildings.

Last edited by iggy on 07-Feb-2016 at 04:23 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 16:26:27
#46 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

Customers want everything immediately and if possible free of charge

wawa 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 17:55:12
#47 ]
Elite Member

@slygon

Quote:
If Hyperion is reading any of these,

what else would they do the whole evening long? i mean they have got a product they have invested their life savings in and they simply go ignore the exchange opinions on main web sites dedicated to this? why? got the picture?

Quote:
, but that they are under NDA.... Why?

go figure..

Quote:
We are not talking about a platform with a huge market anymore, or that Microsoft, Apple or even the Linux guys are watching to steal the technology.

congrats to your unique dicovery! not that it was news to anyone, except some would pretend it doesnt matter.

Quote:
I think it would be great if we saw posts like "Hey, I have my developer X5000 and a Beta of OS 4.1. Looking good! X,Y, and Z don't work yet, but it gets better with every build!" But, just my 2 cents from someone who has really just read the posts over the last few years...

im getting a feeling you are on a wrong forum, trying to beat people to something that has been refused for more than a decade. if you want open or almost open development, that you can observe yourself, developers communitacting on forums, weekly reports and frequent substantial user reviews then you might go for aros and vampire/apollo related pages and topics. honestly.

Quote:
(who makes one computer board???) anyway....

lol!

Quote:
On a side note... I DO have a Mac Mini G4 with MorphOS.... it is a FAST OS... but I have had some problems with it... might just be my hardware... I will also dig deeper into the emulation... I would like to actually understand more of the AmigaOS... both the classic 3.1 and earlier, the 3.5 and 3.9 versions... and the 4.1 version.... so I still have stuff to mess with until I can decide on a hardware platform!

im not particularly interested in morphos, but i seriously doubt you need to hide your interest in os4 on their site as pavlor wants you to believe. the way to discover amiga, since you have never owned it, is to use an emu, then if you like it get the real hardware, then decide where your interests on the subject lead from there if anywhere. same as with c64, only there you wouldnt probably face so many pretenders, trying to force their choice on you.

slygon 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 18:01:02
#48 ]

@wawa

Ha! good observations!

Quote:

wawa wrote:

im not particularly interested in morphos, but i seriously doubt you need to hide your interest in os4 on their site as pavlor wants you to believe. the way to discover amiga, since you have never owned it, is to use an emu, then if you like it get the real hardware, then decide where your interests on the subject lead from there if anywhere. same as with c64, only there you wouldnt probably face so many pretenders, trying to force their choice on you.

MorphOS is interesting... I can see why people like it... but I still need to debug a few things before I can say I like it myself or not..... As for the C-64, nobody can tell me what to like on that front! I have been using them since they came out, and I still own several! and I use them! :)

wawa 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 18:04:37
#49 ]
Elite Member

@slygon

Quote:
Even AROS, being X86, you would think would be a piece of cake.... but it isn't... at least not to run it natively.... I run it just fine in VMWare, but with no 3D graphics and some stability issues....

i cant comment on this, as i have never used aros x86 except for hosted (for testing purposes9, but aros 68k is imho fairly compatible with anything amiga there is (i contribute to make sure it does), except of very basic systems with not enough ram. that said, as someone who tested it on a variety of amiga systems, im aware of its preformance wise shortcomings. im working towards a distribution that could run on almost any amiga system, which involves some programming work, i am getting great assistance form aros coders with. however, admittable, they are usually not greatly interested in 68k platform themselves.

outrun1978 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 18:06:09
#50 ]
Cult Member

@Slygon

I own an Amigaone500 machine and the Amigaone 500 plus machine that Acube are currently selling is more or less the same set up I have as I have upgraded my machine over the past year with a Club 3d Radeon R7 250E.

If you are after a machine now then I'd say get one. Acube are reliable, they offer good support if needed and the item comes well packed and works straight out of the box.

The Club3D Radeon R7 250E card that comes with the current batch of machines is Warp3d compatible (although you will need to buy the driver on Amistore) so with it you can look forward to playing games that require this.

I have lots of fun with the machine and with Amiga OS4.1 in general.....Games wise, i have access to all the classic Amiga games via RuninUAE and WHDload so all my classic games load as if they were part of the system.
Emulator wise, i enjoy playing with a range of systems from Atart 8-bit to Megadrive/Snes and Playstation 1 and all of these work pretty well on the Amigaone500 machine.

Joypads such as the Speedlink Xeox and the Logitech F-310 work flawlessly with the machine

Word Processing and Spreadsheet wise, i use Wordworth 6 and AbiWord and Gnumeric..... with the right Postscript compatible laser printer, you can print off documents with it

Internet browsing wise, Odyssey is reasonably quick on my machine especially with the latest version 7 fixes. Netsurf is a fast CSS browser and even Timberwolf works reasonably well, although it is not as quick as Odyssey

Video playback isn't bad but i can watch files via mplayer or watch movies via DVD
and download from youtube via the smtube app.

In short my Amiga A1200 now sits in its box in storage for preservation as my Amigaone500 machine is my main day to day Amiga, even my PC rarely gets used as I am pretty much able to perform most tasks in an Amiga environment.....

Yes it is a little on the expensive, although i was probably lucky last year and ordered one when the GBP/Euro exchange rate was really good so it ended up being around GBP700, however i consider it a good purchase given the amount of fun I have had with it since i bought it last February.

Yasu 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 18:10:19
#51 ]

@slygon

I own a Mac Mini. Tell me what your problem is.

My MorphOS Blog

"Free speech includes other peoples right to offend you."

pavlor 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 18:11:26
#52 ]
Elite Member

@outrun1978

Quote:
Netsurf is a fast CSS browser

Interesting to note, Odyssey with JavaScript turned off is even faster than Netsurf.

outrun1978 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 18:11:39
#53 ]
Cult Member

@slygon

out of curiosity i have logged on to Acube's website now and it looks like they no longer have the Amigaone500plus machine or a sam460cr in stock so it looks like people have got in quick and bought the latest batch.....

slygon 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 18:15:59
#54 ]

@Yasu

Quote:

Yasu wrote:
@slygon

I own a Mac Mini. Tell me what your problem is.

The OS loads and runs perfectly... the software that is pre-installed seems to work fairly well too.... my problem with it are the two things I tried to do on my own... First, getting ANY e-mail client to work with gmail... I know that is not an OS thing... it is probably something weird with gmail and YAM or Simple Mail.... if you know the trick, I would be happy to try again!

My next problem was a few games I downloaded... all from Cherry Darling... Simple little games, that would run just fine for about 30 seconds to a minute, then crash the entire computer..... Not sure if this is a problem with the software, or if my video card in my mac mini is bad....

-Slygon

iggy 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 18:57:21
#55 ]

@wawa

Quote:
i seriously doubt you need to hide your interest in os4 on their site as pavlor wants you to believe

Of course not.
The guy that represented MorphOS at the last AmiWest meeting David Morris (aka AmigaDave) owns an X1000.
Dave is a great guy.
And we have been following Acube and Aeon developments as they occur.

We run our OS on similar hardware and support the same basic API.

You'd be surprised how well versed some of us are on OS4.

wawa 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 19:10:07
#56 ]
Elite Member

@slygon

Quote:
My next problem was a few games I downloaded... all from Cherry Darling... Simple little games, that would run just fine for about 30 seconds to a minute, then crash the entire computer..... Not sure if this is a problem with the software, or if my video card in my mac mini is bad....

as you probably know, amigalike oses carry the legacy of amiga in this respect, that they cannot prevent faulty software to damage the running system. in short, there is no memory protection, or very limited (some kickstart or os reserved mmu memory write protected areas), as in most consumer 90'ies based oses, this wont be better with os4, rather worse.

Last edited by wawa on 07-Feb-2016 at 07:11 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 19:13:33
#57 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

Quote:
You'd be surprised how well versed some of us are on OS4.

i wont be surprised. the attitudes have not escaped my observations. thus im saying this.

Yasu 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 19:50:12
#58 ]

@slygon

The e-mail thing I can't help you with as I don't use a mail program at all (I go online instead).

The Cherry Darling crashes sounds wierd. I have all games so I can test for you, but I havn't had problems like that on my mini. You could ask Daytona675x here. He is the programmer. He should be able to figure out if it's a game error or not.

My MorphOS Blog

"Free speech includes other peoples right to offend you."

eliyahu 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 19:50:29
#59 ]

@slygon

Quote:
The OS loads and runs perfectly... the software that is pre-installed seems to work fairly well too.... my problem with it are the two things I tried to do on my own... First, getting ANY e-mail client to work with gmail... I know that is not an OS thing... it is probably something weird with gmail and YAM or Simple Mail.... if you know the trick, I would be happy to try again!

unfortunately you'll be unable to use YAM to connect to gmail, but simplemail should work just fine, both under AOS4 and MOS. for MOS, you'll need the latest simplemail build (link) and to follow the instructions here: https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11510&forum=9

Quote:

that is a bit of a puzzler. they work great on my AOS4 and MOS systems. per chance does your mac mini only have 32MB of VRAM? you may be running out of available video memory. i have noticed that when this happens on my pegasos2 when running MOS, that can result in a system freeze.

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 07-Feb-2016 at 07:50 PM.

Slayer 
Posted on 8-Feb-2016 0:10:58
#60 ]

@mbrantley

Quote:
I grabbed the extra X1000 when I had the chance because I want to be running one of these rigs for years and years to come

Niiice

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle