Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 131 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  29 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  46 mins ago
 agami:  47 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 Bruce72:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 t0lkien:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 24 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Is it worth buying an AmigaOne 500 at this time?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
TiredofLife 
Re: Is it worth buying an AmigaOne 500 at this time?
Posted on 8-Feb-2016 7:48:34
#61 ]

@slygon

See this thread to see how to get Yam to work with Gmail.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=40826&forum=27#778029

In short, the nightly builds will work with Gmail.

Cheers

Profile     Report this post  
Nicsoft 
Posted on 8-Feb-2016 10:21:16
#62 ]

@Yasu

Quote:
But when we tried it out some 3 months ago he still got a lot of grim reapers...

Strange. I haven't had a grim reaper for years, but it sometimes happens that a program crashes due to faulty programming..!
If so happens I usally contact the developer so he (never a she!) can fix the problem. Normally the program works after being updated.
And if programs crash, they don't take AmigaOS 4.1 "down" or provoke a grim reaper...

Last edited by Nicsoft on 08-Feb-2016 at 10:44 AM.

OneTimer1 
Posted on 8-Feb-2016 15:06:15
#63 ]
Cult Member

@slygon

Quote:

So, should I keep waiting, or buy today?

If you can get it used for half the price, than it might be OK.

Yasu 
Posted on 8-Feb-2016 15:19:41
#64 ]

@Nicsoft

It really seems to be a lottery. Some people have no problems at all, some have problems all the time. Even on the same hardware. It can be anything. The OS, the drivers, the hardware, it's hard to guess.

The first board I got even came with faulty memory sockets which caused it to crash every few minutes (I got a new board for free so no complaints there). Since this is a board made in small batches for a limited market it's possible that ACube don't have the resources for quality control like we expect with big vendors.

I'm just guessing though. But the alternative is that it's the OS or drivers because I/he had this problem even after a clean installation and by just using programs that are included in the CD. No "it must be bad third party software" then, unless Hyperion ships badly written software themselves.

I'm not saying that ACube don't make good hardware or that AmigaOS 4 is poorly written. I'm just saying that people with these kinds of problem -- for whatever reason -- do exist and should not just be shrugged off as "you are doing it wrong" which I do see from time to time. I really can't say why these problems occur, just that they evidently does.

So an alternative might be to buy it second hand from someone who can guarantee that the hardware works perfectly, or from a vendor that really test the boards before shipping it.

My MorphOS Blog

"Free speech includes other peoples right to offend you."

Nicsoft 
Posted on 8-Feb-2016 15:51:17
#65 ]

@Yasu

Quote:

Yasu wrote:
@Nicsoft

It really seems to be a lottery. Some people have no problems at all, some have problems all the time. Even on the same hardware. It can be anything. The OS, the drivers, the hardware, it's hard to guess.

The first board I got even came with faulty memory sockets which caused it to crash every few minutes (I got a new board for free so no complaints there). Since this is a board made in small batches for a limited market it's possible that ACube don't have the resources for quality control like we expect with big vendors...

In 2010, my Sam 460ex was delivered fitted with an ADATA SODIMM DDR2 667MHz 2GB (from my then locale supplier, the infamous Hast Enterprises). It made AmigaOS very unstable!
For a couple of months (until 2011) I didn't understand what caused all the crashes and freezes (especially MuiOWB was always crashing)...

I contacted ACube who responded. "I (Enrico Vidale) suggest that you use RAM modules which are CL 6 (Cas Latency) and not CL 5 ones" was the answer I got.
So I replaced the memory with a Kingston SODIMM DDR2 800MHz 2GB instead and after that AmigaOS 4.1 has been working perfect... Lucky me!

Last edited by Nicsoft on 08-Feb-2016 at 03:53 PM.

kyle 
Posted on 8-Feb-2016 17:43:07
#66 ]
Cult Member

@Yasu

Never had a problem with my 460ex
I bought the board, the RAM and the sata adapter (sil3112) directly from ACube.

noXLar 
Posted on 8-Feb-2016 23:51:06
#67 ]
Cult Member

@kyle

me too, never a problem, other than my own doing

hotrod 
Posted on 9-Feb-2016 7:49:41
#68 ]
Elite Member

@zzd10h

I completely agree with you. New customers or old the issue has been here since long, you get excited over your new hardware... it's fun... after a while you begin to notice one issue here, one there... you wait for bugfixes and nothing happens for a year and THAT is extremely frustrating.

It gets even more frustrating when you know that betatesters get updates and are like "well that has worked on my machine for 9 months... just wait a little longer". That little longer becomes another 6 months and so on. In other words, have some other machine(s) handy and do something else to stay sane since this can be extremely frustrating at times.

Reason is small development team with too little resources. I guess. It's a bad situation and the longer the time the more threads like this appears and it gets more and more nasty quickly.

Then when the update receives... well... it's like a drug... suddenly everyone becomes calm and happy . Yes that includes me .

It is a bad situation though because it makes lots of people ignore AOS alltogether for long periods of time or even leave the market because it's so tiresome.

The solution? It's up to the owners really and I don't know what they can do about it. The obvious answer are more programmers so that releases can be made more frequently but the resources are lacking so... that is the worst part of being an Amiga-owner.

Then there are moments when everything is stable and works like a dream and you're all excited and that is the good part too me.

As long as you're prepared for those times when releases takes forever you should be fine. You can also be very much involved with bug-reports or development yourself in the meantime.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle