Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 103 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  8 mins ago
 BigD:  9 mins ago
 zErec:  16 mins ago
 amigakit:  19 mins ago
 retrofaza:  48 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 edwardsjethro:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 joeyunderwood:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 Sikharubel:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Remotely reboot an AmigaOne XE with OS 4.1 FE?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
DWolfman 
Remotely reboot an AmigaOne XE with OS 4.1 FE?
Posted on 14-Apr-2016 14:14:28
#1 ]

So, is it possible?

If this was a PC, I'd use the DOS command "shutdown /m amigaone /r /t 1" to force a reboot in 1 second through the network, but we all know that won't work on an A1.

All because I locked up the Workbench while testing issues in the new smbfs while away from home.

AmiVNC is still working, I can move windows around, but clicking does nothing besides selecting and moving existing windows (left or right click on icons or Workbench background does nothing). Need to restart it so I can try again.

Profile     Report this post  
Daedalus 
Re: Remotely reboot an AmigaOne XE with OS 4.1 FE?
Posted on 14-Apr-2016 14:25:24
#2 ]

@DWolfman

There is a reboot command in OS4 apparently, but I've never used it. Worth a try anyway.

If you have access to the shell, maybe you can kill the smbfs task if that's causing the problem?

DWolfman 
Posted on 14-Apr-2016 14:38:45
#3 ]

@Daedalus

I do have that command there, just can't get to anything to run it. I didn't already have a shell open, and can't open one now. So also can't try killing any processes either.

I'm usually not accessing it remotely, so it just means I have to wait until I get home or someone can restart it for me, if there isn't a way to do this remotely.

Hypex 
Posted on 14-Apr-2016 15:17:12
#4 ]
Elite Member

@DWolfman

Can you send keys to it? Looking at the AmiVNC source which does insert key codes into the input stream suggests this should work. In that case a Ctrl LAlt RAlt should do the trick. Of doing a hard reset. Which looks to be what you want.

Last edited by Hypex on 15-Apr-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Severin 
Posted on 14-Apr-2016 15:50:37
#5 ]
Elite Member

@DWolfman

You could also try fkey and set up something like 'ctrl-esc' to run 'reboot fast'. it's unlikely you'd have access to a r-amiga equivalent so r-amiga e probably wouldn't work either. Do workbench menus work?

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

DWolfman 
Posted on 14-Apr-2016 16:46:15
#6 ]

@Hypex

Well, I tried Ctrl-LAlt-RAlt from the keyboard. It doesn't appear to being intercepted by Remote Desktop (which is how I get to my home PC) or by UltraVNC (which is how I'm getting to the A1), but it also doesn't seem to do anything. And I don't have mmuch in the way of other options for the key events since UltraVNC is built for PCs (as in no easy way to insert anything other than Ctrl-Alt-Del or Ctrl-Esc).

Oh, and Ctrl-LAlt-RAlt isn't really an option. For some reason lately Uboot get's lost if I do the hard reset until I power cycle it. When I say "lost", it never puts anything on the screen and only blinks the HD activity light a couple times. Unplug power, count to 5, then plug it back in and it starts right up like normal. Soft reboots work fine, since it doesn't go back to Uboot.

Last edited by DWolfman on 14-Apr-2016 at 04:49 PM.

DWolfman 
Posted on 14-Apr-2016 16:47:43
#7 ]

@Severin

I'll keep that in mind for later, though it's not much help right now. I'm stuck with not being able to do anything directly on the A1 right now except to move the existing windows around. That is until I can get either the wife or my son to do something with the machine.

DWolfman 
Posted on 14-Apr-2016 18:03:03
#8 ]

Son got the A1 rebooted for me, but still want to keep this thread going so we can find an easy way to do this, preferably that can be done on an existing OS4 setup without having to custom configure something.

jaokim 
Posted on 14-Apr-2016 18:18:08
#9 ]

@DWolfman

You can create a telnet connection, that allows you to open a remote AmigaShell. This only uses standard AmigaOS 4 stuff. I have this setup on my AOne micro that I use for debugging (along with amiganetfs to transfer my built binaries on the X1000).

Here's how you do it:
1. Open Internet prefs.

2. Go to the "Servers section", and add a new server
Choose the telnet port 23, then enter these values:
Type: Stream

Program: NewShell
Argument: *

Check "Active"
Uncheck "Wait for completion"
Check "Use socket I/O streams"

3. Use and Save, and restart network

Done!

You can now telnet to your machine from anywhere, and you should be presented wihta n Amiga shell:
telnet 23

Notes: This is very unsecure. I'd suggest atleast adding your own TCP port in the "Services" section of Internet prefs, instead of 23. I have one setup for a higher number that I call telnetdebug.
One could also perhaps just active the server when someone's connecting to the VNC server, and perhaps issue a Ringhio notification when someone's connecting to telnet.

In the "Servers" section, Argument: you can instead have "* FROM s:telnet-startup", and let the shell start from a telnet-startup script. I have a few extra assigns in my "telnet-startup"... but I guess you could add some rudimentary login dialog.

Last edited by jaokim on 14-Apr-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Last edited by jaokim on 14-Apr-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Last edited by jaokim on 14-Apr-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Last edited by jaokim on 14-Apr-2016 at 06:19 PM.

jaokim 
Posted on 14-Apr-2016 18:23:13
#10 ]

Furhtermore to this, you can if you have another Amiga, just do an:
echo reboot > tcp:192.168.1.1/23,
to perform a reboot remotely.
Like I said, highly unsecure!

Last edited by jaokim on 14-Apr-2016 at 06:23 PM.

DWolfman 
Posted on 14-Apr-2016 20:07:58
#11 ]

@jaokim

Thanks! That is some good info. I'll check this out when I get home tonight.

I'm not sure I'd want it all the time though. Like you say, it is very unsecure!

salass00 
Posted on 15-Apr-2016 6:06:34
#12 ]
Elite Member

@DWolfman

SSH would be more secure than telnet but unfortunately the server is not part of the current AmigaOS 4.x OpenSSH port.

TheAMIgaOne 
Posted on 15-Apr-2016 9:01:50
#13 ]
Cult Member

@DWolfman

This has always been a keen interest for me, Amiga Remote access.

I have been looking into making a NetBus 2.0 pro server for Amiga, this will give functional access to the AmigaOS like Files/Reboot machine/Screengrab/run file, most things should correlate with the Windows Functions via using the Windows Client.

Siamese System is also a thing I dreamed of recreating for AmigaOS4.

Both of this will need protocol investigating which I did start to look into

Having both in-one could create something amazing.

Last edited by TheAMIgaOne on 15-Apr-2016 at 09:06 AM.

AmigaOneXE OS4.1.6

TaoSoftwareBlog Youtube

jaokim 
Posted on 15-Apr-2016 16:12:54
#14 ]

@TheAMIgaOne

I have a setup with the telnet thing above, AmiVNC, and amiganetfs started at boot. This allows me to access my AOne Micro's partitions from my X1000 to transfer new builds, start them from remote AmigaShell, and seeing the output in TwinVNC. When my newly built program crashes, I simply send reboot to the Micro, while trying to fix the issue on the X1000, meanwhile looking at the serial debug output on my Linux machine. Works like a charm!

The only thing that stops me from using VNC on my laptop Linux is the speed of it. But with the VVA option AmiVNC is kind of usable.

Last edited by jaokim on 15-Apr-2016 at 04:14 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 15-Apr-2016 16:32:27
#15 ]
Elite Member

@DWolfman

Well that key combo looked like a goer since it uses Ctrl and Alt keys found on a PC keyboard. However it may treat both Alts the same. All should get through since they can be used for certain operations in programs.

Perhaps test when you are in front of the working A1 again to see if anything gets through.

As to the UBoot hold up, sounds like the battery is on the way out. That's how mine goes when it needs replacement. It isn't recent I hope?

DWolfman 
Posted on 15-Apr-2016 21:20:46
#16 ]

@Hypex

I'll check the battery. Since I go through those CR2032s a lot (not just for the A1), I buy them at a local dollar store when they have them. Usually in a 2 or 3 pack for a $1 (Sunbeam branded). Seem to last as long as the expensive ones that are closer to $3 or more per cell.

I also had an idea, based on Severin's fkey suggestion. Have it do the reboot command on a Ctrl-Alt-Del keypress, since that is an option in the UltraVNC viewer.

DWolfman 
Posted on 16-Apr-2016 3:48:03
#17 ]

Yup, needed a new battery, I guess. Old one measured 3.04V. New one was at 3.3V. Now it's rebooting cleanly.

And, the FKey suggestion worked! Set up an entry that used "OS4Reboot 5" command when Ctrl-Alt-Del is pressed. Works beautifully, even through AmiVNC!

And I got the telnet streaming to Newshell option done in Internet properties as suggested. That also works, but wow that formatting is screwed up on the Windows side!

Still it worked well enough to issue the commands for rebooting.

Oh, I could not get "reboot fast" to work from FKey for some reason. OS4Reboot works, so I'll just use it.

Thanks for the help everyone, this definitely takes care of what I needed.

Last edited by DWolfman on 16-Apr-2016 at 03:51 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 16-Apr-2016 15:52:09
#18 ]
Elite Member

@DWolfman

Sounds like a good price for a Sunbeam.

It looks like it allows PC reset through. But does Ctrl-Alt-Alt do nothing then? Just wondering.

DWolfman 
Posted on 16-Apr-2016 18:01:55
#19 ]

@Hypex

I think some keypresses are getting grabbed by the PC instead of going through VNC to the A1. Ctrl-Alt-Alt and Ctrl-Win-Win never seemed to work, though that was while the A1 was locked up. Need to try it again.

DWolfman 
Posted on 16-Apr-2016 18:28:15
#20 ]

Actually, it looks like some modifier keys (like ctrl, alt, and the Win keys) are remapped by AmiVNC4. Explained why they don't work. Still, with FKeys set up to run something with a Ctrl-Alt-Del keypress, the VNC client option to send that works fine with it.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle